Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,348 members, 7,819,237 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. (39512 Views)

The 'Anti-Cheating' Exam Hats Used By Students In Philippines (Pictures) / Courses That Should Be Avoided By Nigerians From Poor Families. / 10 Grammatical Jargons Often Used By Nigerians. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by suremanpatriot: 11:00am On Sep 02, 2017
Are u a grad of eng? Kudos
...here is an addition to ya list.
Ppl should stop using "so therefore", or "and also" ...
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by enemyofprogress: 11:19am On Sep 02, 2017
Ifey131:
Gracias..The writeup has added to my learning..
come make I test you
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by sendmeonly(m): 11:20am On Sep 02, 2017
Very educative. Corrected common blunders I am guilty of, again, many thanks.... Cheers!!!
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by aewhydot: 11:22am On Sep 02, 2017
femi4:
outdated my foot! You won't take to correction

Bro it's clearly stated on ur illustration, it's "nonstandard"
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by menxer: 11:45am On Sep 02, 2017
DeeTus:
We are talking about international standard currency like pound, dollar, euro and so forth. Naira is of course not among.

Please try to learn. You ought to have paid for the lecture I'm giving you here.
Guy leave Martha for Mattias.

Who was talking about international standard currency?

This thread is talking about "koboless" as used in grammar in Nigeria.

I don't know why that is hard for you to understand.

You make it sound as though you are looking for where to vent pent up emotions.
Anyways, thanks for the lesson in patience.
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by Ifey131(f): 12:02pm On Sep 02, 2017
legitimatefrank1:
Sister...I Know The Write Up Is Splendid, But Language Is Meant For Communicating Regardless Of How Fluent Or Vocabulary Inclined You Are
Yeah true....
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by Ifey131(f): 12:03pm On Sep 02, 2017
enemyofprogress:
come make I test you
lolz... this your username na die
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by Ndysney(m): 12:16pm On Sep 02, 2017
*WHAT TREVO CAN DO FOR YOU*

Trevo wellness drink. Made up of 174 nutritious ingredients & 100% fruits. A drink that has no medicine in it but works amazingly. Below are list of some sicknesses and health matters that Trevo helps. 

Trevo Supports:
•Anti-Aging Health
•Blood Pressure Health
•Blood Sugar Health
•Cancer Health
•Cellular Health
•Central Nervous System Health
•Cholesterol Health
•Circulatory System Health
•Detoxification/­Natural Cleansing
•Digestive & Gastrointestinal Health
•Energy, Memory & Mental Focus
•Eye Health
•Heart (Cardiovascular) Health
•Immune System Health
•Joint & Bone Health
•Men's Health
•Respiratory System Health
•Urinary Tract Health
•Weight Management
•Women's Health
.Trevo Supports Weight Management
.Trevo Gives You A Radiant Complexion
.Trevo Provides Instant Energy
.Trevo Boosts Your Immune System
.Daily consumption
.Trevo Prevents Chronic Diseases
.Trevo Supports Bone Health helps avoid fractures and broken bones.
. Trevo Supports Mental Health
.Trevo is 100% Vegetarian.
.Trevo Decreases Risk of Cancer
.Trevo Reduces Risk of Heart Disease
.Trevo prevents obesity 
. Trevo Makes You Live Longer
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by Ndysney(m): 12:19pm On Sep 02, 2017
*WHAT TREVO CAN DO FOR YOU*

Trevo wellness drink. Made up of 174 nutritious ingredients & 100% fruits. A drink that has no medicine in it but works amazingly. Below are list of some sicknesses and health matters that Trevo helps. 

Trevo Supports:
•Anti-Aging Health
•Blood Pressure Health
•Blood Sugar Health
•Cancer Health
•Cellular Health
•Cholesterol Health
•Eye Health
•Immune System Health
•Joint & Bone Health
•Men's Health
•Urinary Tract Health
•Weight Management
•Women's Health
.Daily consumption
.Trevo prevents obesity 
. Trevo Makes You Live Long
To get the product Call via 08122659576.
Anywhere you are.
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by Bimpe29: 12:20pm On Sep 02, 2017
Thank you op, we are better informed now.
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by MfonIrocks: 12:58pm On Sep 02, 2017
Op..just checked Oxford dictionary.. "Comprised of" and "Travelling bag" are not wrong..
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by chatinent: 1:19pm On Sep 02, 2017
Thanks y'll.
suremanpatriot:
Are u a grad of eng? Kudos
...here is an addition to ya list.
Ppl should stop using "so therefore", or "and also" ...
Thanks.
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by kinguwem: 1:20pm On Sep 02, 2017
Reason: Voltage is the electrical force measured in volts. You say high/low voltage not current.
However, in electricity when voltage is low, current is also low. The formula: V=IR refers. So the current is low is correct.
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by sheettle(m): 1:33pm On Sep 02, 2017
lilbest4:
No.5 Is wrong. "Roasted" is a participle not a verb.
Participle can either be present or past. Syntactically, participle can function as adjective or adverb Example
"Spoken English" not "Spoke English"
"Written Literature".

The past participle functions as an adjective. "Roasted chicken", " burnt bread", "boiled egg" are all correct syntactically
Thumbs-up sir! Those are de verbal adjectives.
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by Nobody: 1:58pm On Sep 02, 2017
menxer:

Guy leave Martha for Mattias.

Who was talking about international standard currency?

This thread is talking about "koboless" as used in grammar in Nigeria.

I don't know why that is hard for you to understand.

You make it sound as though you are looking for where to vent pent up emotions.
Anyways, thanks for the lesson in patience.
Hahahahahahaha. It's ok man. Enjoy your weekend!
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by chatinent: 2:20pm On Sep 02, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions.
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by exlinkleads(f): 2:20pm On Sep 02, 2017
who English help?

na idea we need jor
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by katyamizotta: 3:24pm On Sep 02, 2017
Amazing. Thank you Chatinent. l didn't think much of English Language until I had to write IELTS.
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by Chlorin: 3:48pm On Sep 02, 2017
See How Op eye is entering my food. Lol grin
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by Walexey(m): 4:30pm On Sep 02, 2017
dingbang:
why can't you just spell "thingy" as thing for once
well it's a me thingy... Any problem?
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by chatinent: 4:38pm On Sep 02, 2017
katyamizotta:
Amazing. Thank you Chatinent.
l didn't think much of English Language until I had to write IELTS.
You are welcome.
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by Olasigun01(m): 4:42pm On Sep 02, 2017
chatinent:
*Some poisonous expressions used by Nigerians; corrections, tips and reasons - by Richie.*
Copyright: No part of this should be transmitted to an unknown source without prior consent and allowance by the author.

1. I am koboless.
Say: I am bankrupt.
Reason: There exist nothing like koboless in English dict-clopedia and is malapropism.
2. I am more better than you.
Say: I am much better/ better than you.
Reason: 'More' and 'better' are comparative. Both can not be used at the same time. You can likewise use 'better than or much better than.'
3. Five men on suite are here.
Say: Five men in suite are here.
Reason: The preposition shows they are in (wearing it) the suit, not on(maybe, standing on a piece of cloth) it.
4. Nepa has brought their light. It is low current.
Say: Nepa has restored power supply. It is low voltage.

Reason: Voltage is the electrical force measured in volts. You say high/low voltage not current.
5. I will take roasted chicken.
Say: I will have roast chicken.
Reason: 'Roast' is the adjective. 'Roasted' is a verb, an action word (past tense).
You may apply this grammar to; 'unripe pawpaw' not 'unriped pawpaw' etc.
6. Wow! You mean you came all the way from the bus-stop down here with leg!
Say: Wow! You mean you came all the way from the bus-stop down here on foot.
7. You must refund back my money!
Say: You must refund my money.
Reason: To refund already means to give back, adding 'back' again is wrong except you are trying to say 'you must give me back back my money. Apply this grammar corrections to 'return back' , 'rewind back' , 'repeat again' etc. They all don't need the 'back' when they already mean it.
8. This soup is not pepperish; I'm going to buy grinded pepper.
Say: This soup is not peppery; I'm going to buy ground pepper.

Reason: 'Ground' is both past and past participle of 'grind.' There is nothing like 'grinded.' Haba!
Secondly, it is 'peppery' not 'pepperish,' nothing like 'pepperish.'
9. I heard it from the radio.
Say: I heard it on/on the radio.
10. I have a running nose.
Say: I have a runny nose.
Reason: 'Runny' is an adjective which means producing a lot of liquid from your nose or eyes.
11. Bring me another money.
Say: Get me some or more money.
Reason: 'Money' is an uncountable now and cannot be preceded by 'another' directly.
12. Horn before overtaking.
Say: Hoot or blow/sound your horn before overtaking.
Reason: 'Horn' is a noun not a verb.
13. I don't have a book talkless of a pen.
Say: I don't have a book let alone a pen.
14. I want to buy sack bag.
Say: I want to buy sack.
Reason: 'Sack bag' is tautology.
15. The team comprises of eleven players.
Say: The team comprises eleven players.
Tips: When you use the word 'comprises' , do not put 'of' in front.
16. We discussed about football last night.
Say: We discussed football last night.
Tips: Do not put any preposition in front of 'discuss.'
17. She studied hard and she did not pass.
Say: She studied hard however she did not pass.
Reason: 'And' is used when both simple sentences are in equal status. That is to say, the two items or statement to be joined must be either 'positive positive' or 'negative negative.' Meanwhile. 'however' is used when one is positive and the other negative.
18. Bring my traveling bag.
Say: Bring my travel bag.
Reason: 'Travelling bag' is wrong grammar.
19. You are suffering from lack of no respect.
Say: You are suffering from lack of respect.
Reason: 'Lack' already meant 'no respect.'
20. I and my sister travelled.
Say: My sister and I travelled.
Reason: When a subject is joined with the personal pronouns 'I,' it is incorrect to place the personal pronoun first.

Origin: http://chatinent.com./index.php?act=Post&CODE=08&f=33&t=93&p=117&st=

Raise up is wrong.....
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by Olasigun01(m): 4:45pm On Sep 02, 2017
chatinent:
*Some poisonous expressions used by Nigerians; corrections, tips and reasons - by Richie.*
Copyright: No part of this should be transmitted to an unknown source without prior consent and allowance by the author.

1. I am koboless.
Reason: There exist nothing like koboless in English dict-clopedia and is malapropism.
Reason: 'More' and 'better' are comparative. Both can not be used at the same time. You can likewise use 'better than or much better than.'
Reason: The preposition shows they are in (wearing it) the suit, not on(maybe, standing on a piece of cloth) it.

Reason: 'Roast' is the adjective. 'Roasted' is a verb, an action word (past tense).
Reason: To refund already means to give back, adding 'back' again is wrong except you are trying to say 'you must give me back back my money. Apply this grammar corrections to 'return back' , 'rewind back' , 'repeat again' etc. They all don't need the 'back' when they already mean it.

Reason: 'Ground' is both past and past participle of 'grind.' There is nothing like 'grinded.' Haba!
Reason: 'Runny' is an adjective which means producing a lot of liquid from your nose or eyes.
Reason: 'Money' is an uncountable now and cannot be preceded by 'another' directly.
Reason: 'And' is used when both simple sentences are in equal status. That is to say, the two items or statement to be joined must be either 'positive positive' or 'negative negative.' Meanwhile. 'however' is used when one is positive and the other negative.
Reason: When a subject is joined with the personal pronouns 'I,' it is incorrect to place the personal pronoun first.

Origin: http://chatinent.com./index.php?act=Post&CODE=08&f=33&t=93&p=117&st=

Don't say: Raise up
say: Raise / put up
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by Ichietome: 4:48pm On Sep 02, 2017
No 4 is so so wrong. Very incorrect.
Am I the only person noticing it?....... Then that means we lack (good) science students on this forum.
How can you say low voltage and not say low current?
In fact, electrical power usually comes in high voltage and low current. So it is more scientifically correct to say low current than to sat voltage.

@op,electrical current is measured in Ampere. It is grammatically correct to say the both (low voltage and low current) however it is scientifically more correct to say low current since power from electricity distribution companies come in high voltage and low current.
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by Ichietome: 4:55pm On Sep 02, 2017
kinguwem:
However, in electricity when voltage is low, current is also low. The formula: V=IR refers. So the current is low is correct.
Not so correct. Voltage is not equal to current per say. Voltage is equal to the product of current and resistance (V=IR). Your last sentence was correct anyway.
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by Zedoo(m): 5:37pm On Sep 02, 2017
Let the white man come and learn my language first before I will put in effort to speak his own perfectly. Gtfoh
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by Eeroh95(m): 5:45pm On Sep 02, 2017
Please kindly post in pidgin too

For me Nepa Don bring light shikina
Too much stress in LOW VOLTAGE.
how long am I going to be saying that?
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by jakD: 5:53pm On Sep 02, 2017
Thank you for the enlightenment but please note that the word GRINDED(Referring to your number 8 ) do exist and is Formal and not a taboo as well, not even old fashioned.
GRINDED should even be more preferred than GROUND.
Please do check the attached screenshot.
Thank you!

chatinent:

1. I am koboless.

Origin: http://chatinent.com.ng/index.php?act=Post&CODE=08&f=33&t=93&p=117&st=

Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by Ironlion1(m): 7:11pm On Sep 02, 2017
chatinent:

1. I am koboless.

Origin: http://chatinent.com.ng/index.php?act=Post&CODE=08&f=33&t=93&p=117&st=
Thanks Man.
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by oluwashedy: 7:41pm On Sep 02, 2017
So informative and educative
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by francisMKD(m): 3:17am On Sep 03, 2017
U wey dey teach us english.....is there any english word like ''NEPA'' in the dictionary ir even in Nigeria currently??
Re: 20 Poisonous Expressions Used By Nigerians; Corrections, Tips And Reasons. by divapinky: 8:00am On Sep 03, 2017
Get your Trevor big bottle for 19,000 naira only call me on 07038507805 for details

Trevo Supports:
•Anti-Aging Health
•Blood Pressure Health
•Blood Sugar Health
•Cancer Health
•Cellular Health
•Cholesterol Health
•Eye Health
•Immune System Health
•Joint & Bone Health
•Men's Health
•Urinary Tract Health
•Weight Management
•Women's Health
.Daily consumption
.Trevo prevents obesity

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buses That Dumped Nigerian Students At Sahara Desert Finally Move / Grace High School Lagos Asks WAEC Candidates To Lodge In Hotel, Parents Protest / UNIBEN Students Throw Millions Of Naira To Celebrate Graduation (VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.