Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,964 members, 7,828,429 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia (24627 Views)

The Reasons Why Anthony Oluwafemi Joshua Will Always Be in Nigeria / List Of Smallest Countries That Have Ever Qualified For World Cup / List Of 8 Countries That Have Qualified For World Cup 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by 6UEE: 6:49am On Sep 03, 2017
Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by captleonerd(m): 6:58am On Sep 03, 2017
nymphomaniac:
Carlsen Is a demon but I wish our guy goodluck. If he plays white, he should use the stonewall attack. Definite win! As black, he should use the sicilia defence jare.
wow stonewall attack!!! my favourite move back then
Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by Amethyst101(m): 7:01am On Sep 03, 2017
just2endowed:

lol u watch that film?

Yes I did. I had to, after all the reviews I heard about that movie. And I wasn't all disappointed actually.
Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by humblemikel(f): 7:19am On Sep 03, 2017
Damn!!
This guy is cute.
Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by nymphomaniac(m): 7:25am On Sep 03, 2017
labeerson:
where is your location sir
onikolobo sir
Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by amrichy(m): 7:26am On Sep 03, 2017
Femi stand no chance whatsoever of drawing, let alone defeating, the WORLD BEST CHESS PLAYER Magnus Carlsen. The manner in which the players (128 of them from all over the world) are paired for the Chess World Cup match is what has favoured Femi to play against Carlsen and thus making him the first African to be privileged to play against the reining Chess Champion. But what this means is that it's now ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN Femi will lose the match; which is exactly what the pairing system is meant to achieve.
All the 128 players are arranged in the order of their chess rating (a number which fairly and reasonably indicates how strong each player is). Now Carlsen is at the top of the list because he is the strongest player and Femi is at the very bottom because he is the weakest player of all the 128 players that make the list (based on their chess ratings). The first player on the list is paired with the last and the second player wt d secnd to d last and so on.
d match is both a blesin and a curs 4 Femi

2 Likes

Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by Youngsage: 7:29am On Sep 03, 2017
Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by femicyrus(m): 7:41am On Sep 03, 2017
you've all forgotten that Nigeria did it in Scrabble. Magnus do not have an extra piece on board. I took many by surprise in the past only to know latter that they are highly rated players.
Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by babyfaceafrica: 8:13am On Sep 03, 2017
AnonyNymous:

He's eclipsed Kasparov because of rating inflation- I think Kasparov at his prime with access to the same material and database of games to study from would floor Carlsen. You can even see this from how Kasparov (as old as he is) came out of retirement and is still able to compete well against todays top players. But yeah, I agree that this guy stands no chance.
Kasparov is better IMHO than magnus...he is just into many things that was why he retires early,politics,writing. He is my favorite of all timw
Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by AlBaqir(m): 8:18am On Sep 03, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
Kasparov is better IMHO than magnus...he is just into many things that was why he retires early,politics,writing. He is my favorite of all timw

# No doubt Garry Kasparov is great grand master. However, Carlsen is still very young and has more record to break.
Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by yorex2011: 8:47am On Sep 03, 2017
For chess lovers and those who would love to follow the game, I'd open a live thread for the game by 11 so we can follow move by move as well as do some prematch

4 Likes

Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by sarutobie(m): 8:54am On Sep 03, 2017
At least femi can boast of crossing swords with arguably the best chess player the world has seen in recent years...a chess prodigy and world champion...his chances of drawing a game is about 2%....his chances of winning any of the two game match is about 0.01%...he should enjoy himself in such great company though...good luck!

1 Like

Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by AlBaqir(m): 9:10am On Sep 03, 2017
yorex2011:
For chess lovers and those who would love to follow the game, I'd open a live thread for the game by 11 so we can follow move by move as well as do some prematch

That would be great. Kindly tag me please. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by Nobody: 9:28am On Sep 03, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
Yeah. . .Carlsen has to do a lot before he can stand up there with the greats like Fischer, Casablanca, Murphy, Kasparov, etc. I mean, Kasparov ran for President of Russia against Putin!! And he pulled in quite a large number of votes. He just had too many things he was doing apart from chess and yet he remains one of the greatest.
Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by Nobody: 9:28am On Sep 03, 2017
yorex2011:
What time is the game, Nigerian time?
Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by GoldNiagara(m): 9:44am On Sep 03, 2017
manitoba:
By 12 Noon tomorrow, September 3rd , 2017 1in Tbilisi, Georgia, Nigeria Chess International Master(IM) Elect Oluwafemi Balogun will be doing the battle of wits with the Reigning World Chess Champion Grand Master(GM) Magnus Carlsen at the World Chess Cup. He will be the first African to play a reigning world Chess Champion. This is history in the making. We wish him the best.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_World_Cup_2017

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oluwafemi_Balogun

Lalasticlala, Seun, let's support our own.

When it is comes to game of brain or anything cerebral, afonja always lead, but game of brawn and stupidity,. like chasing a round ball, by 44 balls to impregnate hoes, leave that to republic of baifra.

Omoluabi Atata.

1 Like

Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by GoldNiagara(m): 9:48am On Sep 03, 2017
See kill joys all over the place, if Femi is reading this, he will have lost hope, that was what some idiots said about AJ against Klitschko.Go and kick ass brother.
Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by labeerson: 10:31am On Sep 03, 2017
nymphomaniac:
onikolobo sir
Can you give me your contact? I also stay at Asero
Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by Firstinline(m): 10:36am On Sep 03, 2017
yorex2011:

Nice one, bro. This will go along way in promoting the game. I am looking to this.

Abeg quote me also. I love chess but I still dey learn.
Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by Itzneowizy(m): 11:34am On Sep 03, 2017
The guy's head must be on fire
Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by demighty77(m): 12:13pm On Sep 03, 2017
Success fall on you bro.eyan phiona mutesi
Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by chijioke17(m): 12:35pm On Sep 03, 2017
Vainglory:
You mean he will beat Magnus Carlsen? Well, chess is not a ludo game. The young man is just an IM and not even near a Grand Master. He will not achieve one draw but the experience is worth praising.
winning is actually a mindset OK, the fact that he as an IM is challenging a GM should tell you that guy has balls, whether he loses or wins, it's a win-win for him, first, His ranking will increase for daring to challenge a GM, so bros, where is the loss in that
Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by ibnquasale(m): 12:45pm On Sep 03, 2017
As he dey hot...
You can follow on chess24 (web or Android) or just Google chess world cup 2017 and follow the official link

Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by babyfaceafrica: 12:52pm On Sep 03, 2017
nymphomaniac:
Carlsen Is a demon but I wish our guy goodluck. If he plays white, he should use the stonewall attack. Definite win! As black, he should use the sicilia defence jare.
pirc defence it is
Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by sped1oro(m): 1:00pm On Sep 03, 2017

Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by femicyrus(m): 1:51pm On Sep 03, 2017
magnus is confused. playing stockfish 8 against a Nigerian and the game is still equal after close to 2hrs. femo, you are really playing well even though you are playing black against the overrated guy
Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by nymphomaniac(m): 1:57pm On Sep 03, 2017
Hws d game going? Lemme key in
Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by TheGrandChemist(m): 2:25pm On Sep 03, 2017
femicyrus:
magnus is confused. playing stockfish 8 against a Nigerian and the game is still equal after close to 2hrs. femo, you are really playing well even though you are playing black against the overrated guy
The game may look equal on analysis with a stockfish 8, but from what I can see so far on the game Femi is in a difficult situation while Magnus is sitting comfortably waiting on a slight mistake to have a huge advantage.
Time is not on Femi's side either.
Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by TheGrandChemist(m): 2:32pm On Sep 03, 2017
I really do not know what Carlsen wants at this point. Maybe a draw. LoL.
Here comes Carlsen throwing in an invitation for a Queen's exchange; Qg4 boom! Let's see how Femi responds to it.

...Oh, and Femi captures. Interesting. smiley
Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by babyfaceafrica: 2:39pm On Sep 03, 2017
femicyrus:
abeg magnus is not overrated... He is no 1 in the world for a reason
Re: Oluwafemi Balogun For World Chess Cup 2017 In Tbilisi, Georgia by BlueMags(m): 3:19pm On Sep 03, 2017
pls, any latest update about the game?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tottenham Shows Interest In Victor Osimhen / Tobiloba Amusan Emerges The United States Athlete Of The Week / Italy Fail To Qualify For World Cup In Qatar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.