Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,203 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:59 AM

The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium (31551 Views)

Jose Paseiro Describes Godswill Akpabio International Stadium As World Class. / Beautiful Pictures Of Eket International Stadium In Akwa Ibom / New Look Of Enyimba International Stadium Aba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by yaki84: 12:01pm On Sep 05, 2017
Blue3k:

1. I don't care what state you're from. If you don't want better that's fine. Inflate and loot away its your tax money.

2. You reason like a child because some else like buhari does something dumb you say it OK for next guy. You will jump off a cliff with that mentality.

3. Even if 13 million won't settle everyone it helps some. If you owe pensioners cash that should be your priority not well paid footballers doing their jobs. Buhari can hand them bonuses.

3b. They can give the money to local charity or foundation if they please. Personally I wouldn't gripe at that.

4. Akwa Ibom owes pensioners 5 yrs worth pensions and gratuity. The grand total is about 2 billion.

5. They money was likely public funds just like any other supposed generosity.
how long has udom been in the saddle?
Udom represents akwaibom state government he isnt akwaibom state govt.
I dont sympathise with the pensioners cause most of them r crazy thieves. A situation a civi servants establish ghost schools, employs ghost teachers n injecy it in the state payroll thereby inflating the state wage bill. Its karma getting back at them. A civil servant that sends his or her kids toghana to school? Civil servants showed the politicians how to be corrupt, so if the politicians r practicing the proces on them , i CARE LESS.
Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by Blue3k(m): 12:11pm On Sep 05, 2017
yaki84:

how long has udom been in the saddle?
Udom represents akwaibom state government he isnt akwaibom state govt.
[s]I dont sympathise with the pensioners cause most of them r crazy thieves. A situation a civi servants establish ghost schools, employs ghost teachers n injecy it in the state payroll thereby inflating the state wage bill. Its karma getting back at them. A civil servant that sends his or her kids toghana to school? Civil servants showed the politicians how to be corrupt, so if the politicians r practicing the proces on them , i CARE LESS.[/s]

Udom inherited the issue from previous administration so what. He's the chief executive of the state so it's his responsibility to see to the matter. He knew about these issues in 2015 and was close to Akpabio for some time.

Guy I don't care about your lame commentary about pensioners. You asked me who Akwa Ibom owes I told you. Don't now tell me you don't care. They were promised their money and owed. Everything you mentioned should have been settled before hand.

Do you also think Udom was handing out money to Akwa United from his pocket? He made proses to them aswell. Why should he be dashing people not under his employment when he owes his own workers.

Ironically, two years after the state government owned Akwa United Football Club won the 2015 FA Cup, Governor Udom Emmanuel is yet to fulfill his promise to give each of the 34 registered players of the local club N2 million and a house.

5 Likes

Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by yaki84: 12:18pm On Sep 05, 2017
Blue3k:

Udom inherited the issue from previous administration so what. He's the chief executive of the state so it's his responsibility to see to the matter. He knew about these issues in 2015 and was close to Akpabio for some time.

Guy I don't care about your lame commentary about pensioners. You asked me who Akwa Ibom owes I told you. Don't now tell me you don't care. They were promised their money and owed. Everything you mentioned should have been settled before hand.

Do you also think Udom was handing out money to Akwa United from his pocket? He made proses to them aswell. Why should he be dashing people not under his employment when he owes his own workers.

why r his own workers not hitting the streets of uyo protesting? Abi they choosed u n inibehe effiong to do it n sen ita enang had to transfer 20million to inibehe's account to assist in the logistics too?
Do cicvil servants work at all in any states that warrant payment??
Monies that even the past admin failed to acknowledge una go come shout as if ur papa is being owed. Is ur dad one of the 1991 set of retirees being owed?
Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by Blue3k(m): 12:33pm On Sep 05, 2017
yaki84:

why r his own workers not hitting the streets of uyo protesting? [s]Abi they choosed u n inibehe effiong to do it n sen ita enang had to transfer 20million to inibehe's account to assist in the logistics too?[/s]
[s]Do civil servants work at all in any states that warrant payment??
Monies that even the past admin failed to acknowledge una go come shout as if ur papa is being owed. Is ur dad one of the 1991 set of retirees being owed? [/s]

Sigh now we're playing ask me 20 stupid questions. Dude I don't want to derail my thread with mumu nonsense that anyone with common sense should know.
Please make this your last set of daft questions about pensioners.

If civil servants don't deserve to be employed don't hire them, let them work til retirement and consume huge chunk of budget. Nope my father never worked for government.

The state is paying them but has a backlog. The governor and state house of assembly are working on issue. They could be protesting but I guess hungry old pensioners don't have energy like destructive young creek boys. The rest of your questions are frankly idiotic.

4 Likes

Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by Charlieo: 12:35pm On Sep 05, 2017
Ah

Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by jonnytad(m): 12:38pm On Sep 05, 2017
Lack of direction is the worst problem of our leaders.
Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by eph12(m): 12:42pm On Sep 05, 2017
richidinho:

Bro! Save your strength, don't just mind them, a state that hardly welcome up to 500 visitors in a month before Akpabio's era, they have forgotten that there was a Governor before Akpabio

Inibeghe or whatever is his name shld get ready to contest as governor in 2019 let's see how popular he is, nonsense!

Udom has 8yrs to govern the state, we are not disappointed in him, he is doing very well

As usual there will always be a divide and the losers are the common people. Carry on, it's only a matter of time before our mumu do
Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by Nicestibk(m): 12:44pm On Sep 05, 2017
That's the Nigeria Problem.... Our leaders doesn't consider economic value or long term projection.. Similar question I asked while not fix or plan metro rail in-between Lagos - Ibadan expressway project.
Blue3k:

Source: http://opinion.premiumtimesng.com/2017/09/02/the-opportunity-cost-of-the-godswill-akpabio-international-stadium-by-inibehe-effiong/

Front Page: Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by Lordave: 12:53pm On Sep 05, 2017
It was designed to be a 30,000 seater ultra modern MULTI-PURPOSE sports complex, modelled after Allianz Arena, a football stadium in Munich, Bavaria, Germany, with a 75,000 seating capacity.

Even the Allianz Arena it's modelled after is rarely described as "Ultra Modern"

Shaking my head for all this local journalist and thieving politicians they all glorify.
Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by wildchild02: 12:53pm On Sep 05, 2017
Promise and fail Governor turned Senator

Check my signature to order your football jerseys and get FREE CUSTOMIZATION, YES you heard me right FREE CUSTOMIZATION (Sallah Promo is still on)
Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by RZArecta(m): 12:54pm On Sep 05, 2017
Whatever, thank God the stadium is there. If you don't like it, make a rope useful to your neck. Teslim Balogun stadium is just across the road from the National stadium in surulere yet nobody brought out four figure tables to calculate anything. It's been usually people from Ogbomosho and ijebu who have been complaining about this stadium, they even complained about why Bayelsa needed over head bridge but no effort on infrastructural development is questioned in their region even when a governor used over 78 million to set up a website abi na how many million to dig ordinary borehole. They even complained about maritime university in Delta state, why should I complain about what contributed in putting my own region on the world map ?

6 Likes

Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by Jamiubond009(m): 12:55pm On Sep 05, 2017
K
Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by Xfemt(m): 12:57pm On Sep 05, 2017
Nigeria political structure is a shame and the large portion of d blame goes to our youth, wen a politician buys his way with money to a political position and he or she does noting, my guy forget it there is noting u can do CU's u collected money and trow ur future away
Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by DreamSonInlaw(m): 1:00pm On Sep 05, 2017
The money spent is not my money, whether they use the money to construct ostentious facilities or not they'll still steal d money. So the stadium even for nothing beautifies the city + it is the best stadium in Nigeria
Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by ogbada33: 1:01pm On Sep 05, 2017
I will support the use of public fund for projects like a stadium only when it proves to be self sustaining and can trigger extensive development aroung it. Narrowing it down to the peculiar situation in Nigeria, I will still be ok with it even if it does not meet above conditions than being used to finance an election or purchase assets overseas.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by Edesinpayan(m): 1:06pm On Sep 05, 2017
The stadium was built with 96 million dollars, OP take note. You are being political here....

1 Like

Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by chigoizie7(m): 1:07pm On Sep 05, 2017
This is akin to asking if all the money spent on rail projects in naija for the past 8 years will be re generated immediately.

Some projects are not meant to yield more profits to the government.

Some projects are just to face lift the state.

All over the world, some projects are put in place by the government for the masses, not just for the revenue it will generate for the state. But for the betterment of the people.

This is akin to asking if all the money being spent by Qatar for the past 5 or six years in preparations for the World Cup come 2022 will be re mopped during the World Cup time alone.

Or to also ask if all the money the English government spent and even borrowed for the last game will be recouped during the games period.

Noo. These kinda projects are meant to keep bringing money for the state as long as it takes.

This is also asking why someone will spend close to 30 million naira to build a 6 flat building which can earn him approximately 1.5 million per year , which will take him around 20 years to recover is nice. Business wise, it is not . But for other reasons it is good. Let's assume no one builds because it takes years to recover . Where will people live?

At times it is not for the immediate profits.

This is a long term investment.

Yes, there might be corruption in the award of the contract and the cost too.

But don't condemn the idea of the project.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by Blue3k(m): 1:08pm On Sep 05, 2017
Edesinpayan:
The stadium was built with 96 million dollars, OP take note. You are being political here....

Ventures Africa said it was built for that price.

1 Like

Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by UfuomaUN(m): 1:08pm On Sep 05, 2017
Ehiscotch:
250 million dollars is freaking inflated. The governor ought to account for such a poorly equipped and improperly structured stadium. He ought to know that building a stadium in Nigeria doesn't generate enough revenue to cater for both the funds used in building the stadium(Capital) and the recurrent expenditure that will be incured in maintenaning the stadium in every year's budget. Where were his heavily and handsomely paid special advisers when you need them? The governor in my take was in too much a hurry to erect a monument that'd be named after himself and his half brained advisors or himself thought this up as a best way to do so.

Stadiums are expensive dear. check how much the national stadium was built for or the Emirates stadium.
Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by Reference(m): 1:09pm On Sep 05, 2017
Okay we will encourage them to dismantle or demolish so that you can sleep in peace. Just be consistent in your criticism of governments round the country or you will just be another sectional Nigerian. You need to have seen Uyo ten to fifteen years ago before making this comment.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by geraldo077: 1:09pm On Sep 05, 2017
inibehe Effiong and op would always do the bidding of their paymasters........where was akwa ibom state pre akpabio era Yes, corruption is a big problem bedevilling the country, but i must say that akwa ibom is the beautiful bride now.take it or leave it,with time and with the right govt policies it would grow to become investors first choice state.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by Icon79(m): 1:09pm On Sep 05, 2017
Wow! With $250,000,000.00, I can build a stadium better than the Bird's Nest in Beijing, China. Naija people and their contract inflation sha.

Nigeria, we hail thee....

O pari

1 Like

Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by LorDBolton(m): 1:16pm On Sep 05, 2017
omohayek:
A fantastic critique of a huge waste of money. It's too bad hardly any Nigerians - even the "educated" ones - understand the concepts of "opportunity cost" or return on investment. So much spending on projects in Nigeria is done simply because the ideas sound good, without any hard thought put into how much financial sense the proposals actually make. Of course, the politicians making the decisions are probably too busy thinking about how the contracts can be padded to steal as much as possible, but here my focus is on all the ordinary Nigerians who never stop to ask about whether there are better uses to which public money could be put.

I sighed when reading the OP's article, this ain't for forums like nairaland where ignorance reigns supreme.

OP talking O/Cost and ROI people arguing off point ...

One even posted "udon has 8 years to rule" like that's even remotely relevant to this convo ??

Even akwa united can't record 3k attendance on match days , so where exactly is revenue generated from

A nation truly deserves it's leaders

4 Likes

Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by UfuomaUN(m): 1:16pm On Sep 05, 2017
RZArecta:
Whatever, thank God the stadium is there. If you don't like it, make a rope useful to your neck. Teslim Balogun stadium is just across the road from the National stadium in surulere yet nobody brought out four figure tables to calculate anything. It's been usually people from Ogbomosho and ijebu who have been complaining about this stadium, they even complained about why Bayelsa needed over head bridge but no effort on infrastructural development is questioned in their region even when a governor used over 78 million to set up a website abi na how many million to dig ordinary borehole. They even complained about maritime university in Delta state, why should I complain about what contributed in putting my own region on the world map ?

That is their way my bro. Before Akpabio no one travelled to Uyo for anything except oil work, now Uyo is always in the forefront when ever Nigeria hosts any football game. Had it been Ambode did the same thing ( No offence intended. He's still one of Nigeria's best leaders) nairaland front page would have been full with praise singing. The stadium is paying off. It has given the people of the state a sense of pride among other things

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by fratermathy(m): 1:19pm On Sep 05, 2017
Newmanluckyman:
...I really understand the OP concerns which to me makes economic and logical sense. In Africa we build to impress and not to economic usage.

The truth is that the opportunity cost of building this white elephant stadium project and the $250M cost price could have been used to industrialized most local areas of the state. A state that can't boost of good local roads, good infrastructure, has sizable number of people living below the poverty level ,unemployment, poor health system opting to embark on such a project for me is a TRAGEDY OF ECONOMIC MISPLACED PRIORITY. It's obvious that the then governor was anxious to immortalized his name on a big white elephant project like that hence the decision to use this stadium was carefully placed on the chopping knife.

@Boldened: Are you sure you are referring to Akwa Ibom State or some other State?

1 Like

Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by bigpicture001: 1:19pm On Sep 05, 2017
op..it is gud someone comes out and start thinking just like you do on issues of national concern...iv had some encounters with you on this platform because both if us are economically incline to reasoning....but if I must say about this your write up...I wld say you may b ryt to question the redesign of the project to exclude many other sports hence a lower cost Wich the balance shld be accounted for..but to say the project is nit economically viable is where I would draw the line with you...you seem to be a nigerian accoutant economist...in economics...real figures are not always considerd...like you demanded..only accoutant do such..have you ever tot abt wot the fed real govt gains from its nyc scheme..,y the govt spend so much in things like national conference of ethnic groups,spend so much on things like free education?...mny atyms money returns are not always the reason for embarking on.projects...the human impact which has a very ambigious,.method of measurement can also be targeted...do you know that how the people feel about a certain project is also a variable that can be used to measures gains from a project?...niw how in terms of figures wld that be measured...the awka ibom stadium holds a lot of + ve impact on the state you really failed to see..spotlight on the state during each match can reflect +ve image Wich cnt be measued,the ppl are happy to be close to the stars and just 5 cn be inspired to take thier football seriously..that would be documented. so has no figure for you to calculate....i teach economics nd understand these things very well..du you knw Wot inspierd chmamanda the novelist?.. simply cuz sh lived in the same flat as China achieve once lived in years after and the rest of her life we alk can see...du you knw peter obi..spent state mony in hundreds on.millions to bring hero's that are anambra indegines,to com visit second shls in a stare organised children interactive conference with heros?...achebe,bob Manuel, chmamanda etc where paid heavily to com close to the children nd meet them in person...please don't confuse economist with accouting,they are way too difrent..thanks

6 Likes

Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by Newmanluckyman(m): 1:22pm On Sep 05, 2017
fratermathy:

@Boldened: Are you sure you are referring to Akwa Ibom State or some other State?
...yes Akwa Ibom state. Are you sure you're not getting confused with state capital roads with local roads in other local govt areas? Or is Akwa Ibom state only made up of Uyo the state capital?

2 Likes

Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by fratermathy(m): 1:23pm On Sep 05, 2017
@Op:

Akpabio stole money. That is correct! Even Udom is stealing money. Both are stealing like every other politician in Nigeria.

However, I would rather have Akpabio as the looter of my State's funds than Emmanuel Uduaghan! I would rather have Udom as my State's looter than Ifeanyi Okowa!

I don't support corruption by any means but in a nation where everything is oozing with corruption, let us appreciate the little things we have. Akpabio may have stolen like other politicians but he left a LEGACY in Akwa Ibom! Can we say the same for the average Nigerian thieving politician?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by Timarodear(f): 1:26pm On Sep 05, 2017
Inibehe Effiong is a bitter soul that has a strong hate for PDP.... we know him better and as such I choose to disregard this piece of garbage for his apologists. selah!

3 Likes

Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by mywells: 1:26pm On Sep 05, 2017
The stadium is an unproductive legacy of squandermania. It is a white elephant project that was used to siphon money.

1 Like

Re: The Opportunity Cost Of The Godswill Akpabio International Stadium by gameboyo: 1:27pm On Sep 05, 2017
richidinho:

Bro! Save your strength, don't just mind them, a state that hardly welcome up to 500 visitors in a month before Akpabio's era, they have forgotten that there was a Governor before Akpabio

Inibeghe or whatever is his name shld get ready to contest as governor in 2019 let's see how popular he is, nonsense!

Udom has 8yrs to govern the state, we are not disappointed in him, he is doing very well

U dey mind that Facebook urchin lawyer?someone who couldn't graduate with good grade coming online to rant and abuse those he can't compete with. It's a pity though.
Hes not intelligent enough to understand that Akwa Ibom was once a pedestrian state

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ahmed Musa Donates Cash To Small Business Owners In Jos / I Am On The Run Because Of Sport Betting / My No. 10 – Drogba Hails Jay-Jay Okocha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.