Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,721 members, 7,955,700 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:16 PM

SEE 10 Main Reasons Why The Church Should Not Abandon Politics - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / SEE 10 Main Reasons Why The Church Should Not Abandon Politics (7323 Views)

The Church Should Shun Public Endorsement Of Political Candidates / 10 Unwholesome Habits You Must Abandon In 2022. / My Opinion On How the Church Should Handle The Crowd Issue In Gatherings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SEE 10 Main Reasons Why The Church Should Not Abandon Politics by Nobody: 9:04am On Sep 03, 2017
NaijaNewsPapers:

Recent events have raised the issue, Should the pulpit always avoid politics? It depends on what we mean by "politics;" it demeans the pulpit to use it for partisan politics. But here are ten reasons why I don't think politics and religion should (or even can) be completely separate:

1) The Word of God has something to say about all of life, beyond just the spiritual.

My long-time pastor, Dr. D. James Kennedy, once noted that the Church of Jesus Christ has always been opposed to abortion---from the very beginning. It still is.

In the last generation, abortion has become a "political" issue. Does that mean, asked Dr. Kennedy, we should now ignore it in the pulpit? No, because the Bible is pro-life.

2) The Bible itself addresses the issue of governing in different texts.

There are biblical books dealing with political rulers---1 and 2 Samuel, 1 and 2 Kings, Judges. In Genesis and in Daniel, we see godly men serving well in pagan courts, for the good of all. In Romans 13 and 1 Peter 2, we hear that God has established the civil magistrate, and we are to obey the government. In Exodus, we see Moses rebuking Pharaoh for mistreating the Hebrews.

3) The Scriptures also teach that on occasion, there may be a need for civil disobedience.

When the apostles were commanded to no longer preach the gospel, Peter said that we must obey God rather than man. If there is an either/or, then civil disobedience can be the right path. Many early Christians died for Christ rather than worship the emperor, clearly a false god.

4) Jesus said, "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's."

Nature abhors a vacuum. Someone will be involved in politics. Why should we abandon our role as citizens? According to Jesus, we have a positive duty to render certain obligation to the state.

5) When the Church does not speak out, evil can fill that void.

Silence in the face of evil can signal assent. We hold up those Christians who went against Hitler and the Nazis as heroes---not the millions who acquiesced to them.

The December 23, 1940 TIME Magazine article called, Religion: German Martyrs, opens: "Not you, Herr Hitler, but God is my Führer. These defiant words of Pastor Martin Niemoller were echoed by millions of Germans. And Hitler raged: 'It is Niemoller or I.'"

6) The Church is called to be salt and light. Salt preserves and prevents decay.

Christians in society should help prevent corruption. As goes the pulpit, so goes the nation.

7) We pray, "Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven."

That doesn't mean we should try and force the kingdom of God by use of the sword. When "Christians" did that in times past, we are still apologizing for it, as in the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Salem Witchcraft trials. But it does mean that Christians can apply biblical principles to government that result in good for all of us. And to be sure, someone's morality is always being legislated. It is not a question of "if," but of "what" and of "whose."

cool Christians bless everybody when we properly apply our faith to politics.

Our Constitution was an outgrowth of the biblical concept of covenant. University of Houston Professor Dr. Donald S. Lutz, author of The Origins of American Constitutionalism, said that Americans "invented modern Constitutionalism and bequeathed it to the world." And where did we get it? Says Lutz: "The American constitutional tradition derives in much of its form and content from the Judeo-Christian tradition as interpreted by the radical Protestant sects to which belonged so many of the original European settlers in British North America."

9) Politics may be the calling of some in the congregation. Therefore, ministers should encourage political involvement that is motivated by the desire to serve.

When the Member of Parliament William Wilberforce was converted in the 1780s, he sought counsel from Rev. John Newton, an ex-slave-trader. Should he leave politics and pursue the ministry? Newton advised him to stay because maybe God could use him where he was.

Wilberforce's crusade to free the slaves in the British Empire took him 50 years and was a direct outgrowth of his faith in Christ. I shudder to think if one of today's "no politics" ministers had counseled the young reborn Wilberforce. We might still have legal slavery in the Western world.

10) Religion and morality are "indispensable supports to our political prosperity."

So said Washington in his Farewell Address. John Adams said, "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." This was in a day when about 99% of the Americans were professing Christians. And on it goes.

I remember when I once interviewed former Secretary of Education William Bennett, who said, "Does anybody really have a worry that the United States is becoming overly pious? That our young people have dedicated too much of their lives to prayer, that teenagers in this country are preoccupied with thoughts of eternity?" In short, our problem today is not too much Christian influence on society, but not enough.

MORE: http://www.naijanewspapers.com.ng/2017/09/see-10-main-reasons-why-church-should.html

[img]https://1.bp..com/-F3HCNSWMP1U/Wauhm3uZsEI/AAAAAAAAFjs/6BzyxHF1Mmwmlm2skvl7cgTFRfOFFStbwCLcBGAs/s640/Religion-and-Politics.jpg[/img]

the Bible said nothing about abortion.
Re: SEE 10 Main Reasons Why The Church Should Not Abandon Politics by Nobody: 9:13am On Sep 03, 2017
Hmm... The Scriptures are being fulfilled already. Revelations speak of the great harlot having immoral dealings with the kings of the earth and the business merchants. In the time of the end, religion, politics and business would become mixed up. It is already happening.

1 Like

Re: SEE 10 Main Reasons Why The Church Should Not Abandon Politics by Afhounja(m): 9:22am On Sep 03, 2017
Religion and politics are two things that should actually NOT mix.
Re: SEE 10 Main Reasons Why The Church Should Not Abandon Politics by rottennaija(m): 9:22am On Sep 03, 2017
maximunimpact:

Can you mention any Christ's apostle that took up political office?

My write up isn't finished. Go read again
Re: SEE 10 Main Reasons Why The Church Should Not Abandon Politics by blef2014: 9:44am On Sep 03, 2017
maximunimpact:
@op thanks for turning bible upside down. I used to think Christianity means living like Christ, but today's version of worship is teaching and indoctrinating everything Christ stood against. When the crowd gathered to declare Jesus king of the jews, he declined saying that his kingdom is not of this world, if Christians follow Christ's example of neutrality in politics, were is the op getting his message from? obviously this message is from the father of all liars, Satan himself!
what a sallow way of reasoning, playing Christianee, what happened to Daniel, Joseph and Co's they are children of the devil right! Quoting Christ wrongly makes you think your right, to what intends and purposes of His coming, as a earthly king?. If you refused to get involve then be ready to enjoy the reign of of the devil's.
Re: SEE 10 Main Reasons Why The Church Should Not Abandon Politics by maximunimpact(m): 10:25am On Sep 03, 2017
blef2014:
what a sallow way of reasoning, playing Christianee, what happened to Daniel, Joseph and Co's they are children of the devil right! Quoting Christ wrongly makes you think your right, to what intends and purposes of His coming, as a earthly king?. If you refused to get involve then be ready to enjoy the reign of of the devil's.

Lols at the emotions you are exuding here, i wish you can be this zealous in preaching the gospel. I have nothing against politics, but its not mixable with Christianity. Christ's kingdom are not of this world, so are his followers.
Re: SEE 10 Main Reasons Why The Church Should Not Abandon Politics by AdelekeAkinola(m): 12:58pm On Sep 03, 2017
maximunimpact:
@op thanks for turning bible upside down. I used to think Christianity means living like Christ, but today's version of worship is teaching and indoctrinating everything Christ stood against. When the crowd gathered to declare Jesus king of the jews, he declined saying that his kingdom is not of this world, if Christians follow Christ's example of neutrality in politics, were is the op getting his message from? obviously this message is from the father of all liars, Satan himself!
. To encourage Christians to be involved in politics is not turning bible upside down. When we don't partake in politics then we cannot be part of government. And if we are not part of government we can't decide or change anything. If we refuse to govern, the evil people will rule and decide our destiny. In the book of revelation Jesus mentioned 7 churches. The 7 churches are in present day Turkey and u and I know that Turkey is an Islamic country. So the question is what happened? Government. The Christians don't partake in government, the Muslims took over and declared the place a Muslim country. Joseph and Daniel were involved in govt even Esther as a woman that's y they could safe their people when the need arose. Stay blessed.

(1) (2) (Reply)

About The Idea Of Heaven And Eternal Bliss / Have You Ever Left Your Body Before? / Tell Me The Religion Of Adam, Etc, The Religion Of Jesus.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.