Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,121 members, 7,818,368 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:42 PM

Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 (18131 Views)

10 Creative Video Content Ideas For Makeup Business / What Business Can One Start With N15,000,000 / 29,000$ In Nigeria 2021? / “I Started Makeup Business With N15,000” – Tara Fela-durotoye. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by FoundersNG: 2:39pm On Sep 03, 2017
Starting a new enterprise in Africa and Nigeria in particular, can be both exciting and terrifying at the same time. The adrenaline pumps of living your dreams may soon face the reality challenges of harsh business conditions in the country. Here, we take a look at Tara Fela-Durotoye and the famed House of Tara, and how she was able to navigate the uncharted waters of starting a new course of business in a country as Nigeria.

Introduction
Tara Fela-Durotoye is a Nigerian-born lawyer turned Africa's leading beauty and makeup entrepreneur. She started House of Tara at the age of 20, from her living room, whilst an undergraduate at the Lagos State University back in 1998. She's since gone on to launch Nigeria's first ever bridal directory in 1999, and in 2004 she opened the country's leading beauty academy. Today, Tara has over 3,000 reps spread across Nigeria and 14 stores to her name and she is steadfastly dedicated to realising her vision of building a globally respected beauty company of African origin. Tara remains an inspirational role-model and mentor to make-up artists and aspiring beauty business owners across Africa. Tara made the Forbes’ list of 20 Young Power Women in Africa, 2013 and was also nominated as a Young Global Leader by the World Economic Forum.

Finding Passion
While she acknowledged that "creating a business that impacts and generates income, developing micro entrepreneurs who will grow their businesses and employ more people so as to make the Nigerian economy better is what's most important" and fuels her passion, it was not all that easy for the young entrepreneur. The society was such that had no place for entrepreneurship, and need not talk of a young lady at that. With her education, she was expected to earn her living being a lawyer, but the young Tara had to follow her dream.
  “I was in secondary school many years ago and a man came to speak to us. He came to speak to us as an entrepreneur, that is, as a business man. He was in advertising and because he was creative, I found him interesting. He made me interested in business....  I eventually went to the university and I studied law. As an undergraduate, while I was still in school I started a business. I started with just N15,000 (fifteen thousand naira)."
She later trained as a makeup artist of Charles Fox. According to Tara, her mother was her major source of inspiration while growing up:  “ She was a fantastic woman, very fashionable, so when you looked at her dressing table she had make-up products, she would paint her face in the morning, she never missed her hairdressing appointment, her nail polish was always perfect. I grew up seeing her adorn herself and I liked looking at her through all that process. I didn't know that a seed was being sown in my heart.”  

Challenges
Every startup entrepreneur has his own share of challenges and House of Tara was not any different. While some challenges may fade away as your outfit moves up on the growth chart, others just stay put or dissolve into another according to the peculiarities of the outfit. According to Tara: “At start up, we faced challenges with raising funds. In Nigeria, you need to be able to get financing and raising funds was a big problem.  Also, our industry is an informal one and as pioneers, we could not find standards to copy. It’s easier when you see something you can copy but when you have to think it through and make it up as they come along, it’s not easy. Now, we are dealing with challenges of attracting talent and retaining them; keeping the voice of the vision across multiple branches and across a number of people. We also face the challenge of people asking us to sell shares in the company and people consistently looking for ways to be part of the business that will boom.”

Dare To Be Different
One major challenge for startups is carving a niche for themselves out of an over saturated market or industry. Even established organisations pay a huge sum to just keep rebranding an over flogged idea or concept. The motivation is to always remian original with your concept, otherwise you'll get drowned in the crowd of opinions or competitions
For Tara, she believes you should “Stay true to yourself, stay true to what you are trying to achieve, otherwise you get distracted. Side comments, how people think you should do things, and I think that everyone wants to hear their own voice so you need to stay true to yourself. Before you come out of your house you have to decide, yes this is what I want to do. You still need counsel but you should be able to apply counsel to your own decision to be able to take insightful steps.”

Conclusively, The impact her startup organisation has had on the lives of people cannot be waved off. According to Harvey S. Firestone: "The growth and development of people is the highest calling of leadership". Speaking about the impact her entrepreneurial journey has had in the country, Tara says: “For us it’is the impact we are making that is most rewarding. The jobs… there are many people who are looking for jobs today and the beauty industry has given an opportunity for young people who are very excited about beauty, and you know Nigerians are very fashionable and love beauty. We have given many people the opportunity to start up something as a business, to be business owners, to start up their own businesses and to make money from it but also to be financially independent and many them have had to employ one or two people as well and I think that gives greater joy, for us.”

Source:

https://founders.com.ng/2017/07/15/startup-diary-tara-fela-durotoye-episode/

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by Tolexander: 2:58pm On Sep 03, 2017
People were not really into the make up stuff then and you took the advantage.

Being one of the few to reach the oasis in the desert, you got your needed water to survive with few resources.

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by goldbim(f): 4:23pm On Sep 03, 2017
She's excelling in the business today because she was driven by her passion.unfortunately, the profession has been hijacked now by some amateurs ..all you need is just a set of #3000 brush,powder of diff shades,poster color lipsticks and a big box..just watch few YouTube tutorial videos and you are good to go.the exorbitant fee some of them charge is a story for another day. lipsrsealed

22 Likes

Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by Nobody: 7:13am On Sep 04, 2017
Interesting read..
Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by MiaB(f): 8:45am On Sep 04, 2017
Beneficial

1 Like

Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by Amberon11: 9:43am On Sep 04, 2017
You can start earning today too, check my signature wink
Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by Kobicove(m): 8:36am On Sep 18, 2017
And so what if you started your business with N15,000? undecided

That amount used to be a lot of money when you started your business

10 Likes

Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by jtigwell0: 10:34am On Sep 18, 2017
gh
Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by Nobody: 10:35am On Sep 18, 2017
G
Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by Fragileheart(f): 10:37am On Sep 18, 2017
You see she has light make up unlike some girls that will coat their face with all manner of paint in the name of make up

4 Likes

Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by Nobody: 10:38am On Sep 18, 2017
Tolexander:

Being one of the few to reach the oasis in the desert, you got your needed water to survive with few resources.
You spoke my mind. She's expensive tho. Tara in PH is a no go area for average ladies.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by Donald3d(m): 10:39am On Sep 18, 2017
Who want website oooo
I dey build professsional website
Check my signature

1 Like

Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by Nobody: 10:45am On Sep 18, 2017
cheesy
Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by Tolexander: 10:46am On Sep 18, 2017
kimbraa:
You spoke my mind. She's expensive tho. Tara in PH is a no go area for average ladies.
probably cos i dwell in your mind, and i know what must have been in it cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by DozieInc(m): 10:50am On Sep 18, 2017
Nice one.
Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by kokomaster3d: 10:53am On Sep 18, 2017
Tolexander:

Don't be a hater. You can never succeed with this kind of mind. New businesses spring up everyday. There is never a right time to start any business. All you have to do is START and JUST DO IT. Facebook started after myspace started years ahead, alibaba started when amazon, ebay were the leading ecommerce then - now alibaba's 11/11 one-day sales equals the total revenue of amazon + ebay one-month revenue. Everyday provides a new set of opportunities for you to do something new.

9 Likes

Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by jaxxy(m): 10:54am On Sep 18, 2017
I know her. She ws in same class with my brother in secondary school. Hardworking and focused lady.

1 Like

Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by ikorodureporta: 10:56am On Sep 18, 2017
15k was big then

1 Like

Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by soath(m): 10:56am On Sep 18, 2017
goldbim:
She's excelling in the business today because she was driven by her passion.unfortunately, the profession has been hijacked now by some amateurs ..all you need is just a set of #3000 brush,powder of diff shades,poster color lipsticks and a big box..just watch few YouTube tutorial videos and you are good to go.the exorbitant fee some of them charge is a story for another day. lipsrsealed
Nothing further.
Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by Houseofglam7(f): 10:56am On Sep 18, 2017
I'm inspired.

Make I start dis akara business sharperly.

1 Like

Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by dreamworld: 11:00am On Sep 18, 2017
15k then is like 150k Now

3 Likes

Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by Sparkles003(f): 11:02am On Sep 18, 2017
Houseofglam7:
I'm inspired.

Make I start dis akara business sharperly.
Add fried yam and sweet potatoes grin

3 Likes

Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by Tolexander: 11:03am On Sep 18, 2017
kokomaster3d:

Don't be a hater. You can never succeed with this kind of mind. New businesses spring up everyday. There is never a right time to start any business. All you have to do is START and JUST DO IT. Facebook started after myspace started years ahead, alibaba started when amazon, ebay were the leading ecommerce then - now alibaba's 11/11 one-day sales equals the total revenue of amazon + ebay one-month revenue. Everyday provides a new set of opportunities for you to do something new.
apply your brain before and while using your fingers

5 Likes

Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by Houseofglam7(f): 11:03am On Sep 18, 2017
Sparkles003:

Add fried yam and sweet potatoes grin

Correct geh
Money must be made grin

1 Like

Re: Tara Fela-Durotoye: I Started Makeup Business With N15,000 by Greatmind23: 11:05am On Sep 18, 2017
better than those girls that started with #2000 to rent some clothes and jewelries and hook around one useless office Instagram man

(1) (2) (Reply)

NDIC Places Properties Of 8 Liquidated Mfbs For Sale (see List) / Five Banks Lose N312m To Cbn’s Sanctions / PHOTOS: Fire Burns Down Warehouse At Alaba, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.