Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,412 members, 7,861,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 04:22 AM

Remove Iwu From Inec, United States Urges Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Remove Iwu From Inec, United States Urges Nigeria (733 Views)

Buhari Receives Certificate Of Return From INEC / Photos From Fire Incident From INEC Office Abuja / Ex INEC Boss, Iwu's Daughter In NYSC Certificate Scandal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remove Iwu From Inec, United States Urges Nigeria by Imeobong(m): 6:03pm On Feb 23, 2010
The US government has requested the Nigerian government to sack Maurice Iwu, the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), to give room for credible elections where Nigerians can freely choose their leaders.

Johnnie Carson was responding to questions from Senator Russ Feingold (D) a ranking member of the US Senate and chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee sub-committee on Africa Affairs, at a hearing on Nigeria.

The hearing is still in progress, with Mr. Carson giving his feedback about a recent trip to Nigeria. The committee also has also invited Mr. Nuhu Ribadu, the former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, as a witness, curiously, the hearing is taking place in room "SD-419" at the US Congress.

In the past few days, Acting President Goodluck Jonathan has been telling members of the international community, including former US President George W. Bush, that he will make sure that next year's elections in Nigeria are credible.
To watch the hearing live: http://foreign.senate.gov/live/index.cfm

Re: Remove Iwu From Inec, United States Urges Nigeria by safeact(m): 6:11pm On Feb 23, 2010
Easier said than done! Excuse me pass jare
Re: Remove Iwu From Inec, United States Urges Nigeria by Afam(m): 6:12pm On Feb 23, 2010
Imeobong:

The US government has requested the Nigerian government to sack Maurice Iwu, the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), to give room for credible elections where Nigerians can freely choose their leaders.

Johnnie Carson was responding to questions from Senator Russ Feingold (D) a ranking member of the US Senate and chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee sub-committee on Africa Affairs, at a hearing on Nigeria.

Who is the US government and what right do they have to make this stupid request?

If the last election in Anambra state gives us an idea of how to conduct elections then Iwu should remain and conduct better elections instead of getting someone that would give all manner of excuses if the next elections are not credible.

The US should first learn how not to lie to the whole world in order to invade sovereign nations before making such requests.

Many people have discussed the latest coup in Niger without paying attention to some of the salient points.

France and the US promised the president $400M every year for the oil discovered there to be used as strategic reserve. Yet, China came and offered $4B per year and already the money has been used in getting the people of Niger better health care, roads, electricity etc and we are usually comfortable reeling out the useless stats by the Western world like the average Nigerian lives on less than $1 a day.
Re: Remove Iwu From Inec, United States Urges Nigeria by otawa: 6:16pm On Feb 23, 2010
France and the US promised the president $400M every year for the oil discovered there to be used as strategic reserve. Yet, China came and offered $4B per year and already the money has been used in getting the people of Niger better health care, roads, electricity etc and we are usually comfortable reeling out the useless stats by the Western world like the average Nigerian lives on less than $1 a day.

I would need to verify that but it is what WEST usually do in Africa.

If China will be a better paying partner, we are better off going EAST.

Those with human-right bla bla about China should spare me their jargons.
Re: Remove Iwu From Inec, United States Urges Nigeria by jumobi1(m): 6:17pm On Feb 23, 2010
iF Nigeria removes this man then we have failed as a country,
iF the people's cry for years to remove this man from office fell on deaf ears, why should the US make a difference.
Well what i'm trying to say is that its a shame the guy would be removed only because the US insisted.
iThought the govts job was to listen to its people.
Nigeria is wack man.
Re: Remove Iwu From Inec, United States Urges Nigeria by Afam(m): 6:20pm On Feb 23, 2010
otawa:

I would need to verify that but it is what WEST usually do in Africa.

If China will be a better paying partner, we are better off going EAST.

Those with human-right bla bla about China should spare me their jargons.

Still trying to lay my hands on reproducible facts as I was shocked but not surprised.

Do not forget that the country has about the 2nd largest deposits of uranium and you know how important uranium is to those hungry for nuclear power.

Unfortunately, we usually focus on what happens on the surface without asking the WHY.

(1) (Reply)

Turai Should Be Charged With Treason, Conspiracy, Forgery & Felony / Yar’adua’s Mother, Siblings, Not Allowed To See Him / Jonathan Sacks Ministers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.