Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,941 members, 7,814,182 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:39 AM

Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). (24258 Views)

Predict Today's Match Between Nigeria And Ghana / AFCON 2019: Photos From The Match Between Nigeria and South Africa / Cameroon Vs Nigeria: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifier 1 - 1 (Full Time) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by ayanfede(m): 2:00pm On Sep 04, 2017
Winken:
Today's scoreline Cameroon 0 vs Nigeria 1 Goal to be scored in first half Red card for Cameroon in the 2nd half.
oya...gbefun!! Woli Agba
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by naptu2: 2:01pm On Sep 04, 2017
1wolex85:

Where was Rashidi Yekini during these qualifiers?

This was before we had FIFA free days. Clubs were not obliged to release their players at that time, so it was a big risk for them to come and play for Nigeria. Therefore we often shuffled our team. You can see that Ricky (who was the highest goal scorer in Portugal before Yekini) played for us in the Ibadan leg of the encounter. Henry Nwosu also couldn't play in the Yaoundé leg because he didn't have the permission of his club Asec Mimosa. Yekini was playing for Africa Sports at that time.

1 Like

Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by Sukakma(m): 2:02pm On Sep 04, 2017
Muda Lawal the great..no wonder there's a market named after you here in Bauchi

1 Like

Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by toseen7: 2:06pm On Sep 04, 2017
That nations cup 2000 Final pain me no be small....

1 Like

Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by valnelly(m): 2:07pm On Sep 04, 2017
RexEmmyGee:
Wait o is it the Ali baba comedian

It's Baba Ali and that was his real name. He was footballer. Ali baba of today is a comedian and that's not his real name. Atunyota Alleluya Akpobome (sometimes written Akporobome) is his real name.
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by adedayoa2(f): 2:08pm On Sep 04, 2017
emeijeh:
We can never forget the day Ikpeba put his hands on his head, when we could have won that final cry
I was so mad that day, the referee no well at all, he saw the goal na.
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by tripoli007(m): 2:08pm On Sep 04, 2017
I won't forget that ikpeba miss and the way he carried his hand on his head ,I literally died..memories i was just a young boy in jss2 .. grin
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by salford1: 2:09pm On Sep 04, 2017
cameroun and ghana...Those were very hard nuts to crack back in the days...
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by TonyeBarcanista(m): 2:10pm On Sep 04, 2017
I could remember the final of 2000, it was an emotional one. Kai Ikpeba fall hand sha...

But the 2004 victory over Cameroon was a perfectly sweet revenge
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by RexEmmyGee: 2:11pm On Sep 04, 2017
valnelly:

It's Baba Ali and that was his real name. He was footballer. Ali baba of today is a comedian and that's not his real name. Atunyota Alleluya Akpobome (sometimes written Akporobome) is his real name.
Thank you bro
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by RexEmmyGee: 2:12pm On Sep 04, 2017
valnelly:

Thanks bro
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by Nobody: 2:13pm On Sep 04, 2017
We could have got that cup if we had goal line technology back then..ikpeba also didn't help matters with his expression..
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by naptu2: 2:13pm On Sep 04, 2017
salford1:

You should have seen what happened after that match against Ghana in 1992. I was feeling depressed so I left home. A terrible, brutal and bloody fight erupted not far from where I was and the fight occurred because of that match. It was one of the most depressing days of my life.

Abedi Pele admitted c2000 on a BBC Radio show that they knew that Nigeria were better than them (he listed all the stars on the Nigerian team) and that we played attacking football, so they decided to defend and hit Nigeria on the counter attack.
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by toseen7: 2:14pm On Sep 04, 2017
salford1:
Anytime S.E beat those teams eeeh, my happiness no be small cheesy
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by toseen7: 2:16pm On Sep 04, 2017
valacious:
We could have got that cup if we had goal line technology back then..ikpeba also didn't help matters with his expression..
True....
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by collinsVP: 2:19pm On Sep 04, 2017
I vividly remember US94 when most of the matches were played at midnight or past midnight.

To keep awake, i had to borrow kola nut and hot drink from elders to take.

The tension that built inside me while the matches were played, could kill an unborn baby in my womb- if i were to be a woman.
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by johnie: 2:23pm On Sep 04, 2017
Nice compilation as usual, Naptu2.

Remember our duels with Cameroun at U20? The Biyik brothers, Mboma? The days of Andrew Uwe, Agu, etc?

Cameroun, Ghana, Senegal (almost got us out of 2000 CAN). Always epic!
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by donqx: 2:25pm On Sep 04, 2017
really
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by naptu2: 2:26pm On Sep 04, 2017
johnie:
Nice compilation as usual, Naptu2.

Remember our duels with Cameroun at U20? The Biyik brothers, Mboma? The days of Andrew Uwe, Agu, etc?

Cameroun, Ghana, Senegal (almost got us out of 2000 CAN). Always epic!

And Ivory Coast between 1991-1994.

Remember that crazy semi-final against Ivory Coast at Tunisia '94 and the qualifiers against them in 1992/93?
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by DreamSonInlaw(m): 2:27pm On Sep 04, 2017
History sandwiched wit so so valuable info, this guy weh don sir! I rmbr d final (2000)
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by emeijeh(m): 2:30pm On Sep 04, 2017
adedayoa2:
I was so mad that day, the referee no well at all, he saw the goal na.

Yes he saw it, he would have awarded it if only Ikpeba protested or ran off celebrating.
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by vybzkartel: 2:34pm On Sep 04, 2017
Ghana is our real nemesis
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by wroskian(m): 2:39pm On Sep 04, 2017
Those year 2000 and 2004 matches are still fresh in my memory. Epic matches that kept us all at the edge of our seats sweating profusely smiley The indomie generation will never relate grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by hoopLA: 2:40pm On Sep 04, 2017
naptu2:

The Moroccan fans felt that Nigeria was being cheated and the ended up supporting Nigeria and booing Cameroon. Many Nigerians felt that the referee was biased against Nigeria because the new CAF president, Issa Hayatou, was Cameroonian.

This part is not entirely true.

Cameroon had beaten the host country Morocco in the semi final. They had been too physical and the North Africans couldn't cope with the aggression displayed by their opponents. This made the fans unhappy with Cameroon especially since it seemed they were fouling the Moroccans to disrupt their fluid style of play, which eventually paid of as Cameroon frustrated the hosts till late in the game when they scored the winner.

Hence it was only natural the host fans supported Nigeria in the finals. They booed the Cameroon anthem when it was played from the start.

And while the refereeing appeared suspect, it only added to the animosity. We lost in part due to conservative tactics byManfred Hoener who kept attacking players on the bench for more workmanlike defensive players. After our first game we didn't score more than once in a game. I remember Cameroon actually dominated play in both games we faced them in the tournament. Same for Egypt and Algeria though we were down to 10 men for a while in that semi final

But well done all the same. These brought back memories
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by johnie: 2:44pm On Sep 04, 2017
naptu2:

And Ivory Coast between 1991-1994.

Remember that crazy semi-final against Ivory Coast at Tunisia '94 and the qualifiers against them in 1992/93?

How could I have left Ivory Coast out?

I remember that match!

Tiehi's shirt tugging celebration after his
goal against us and Ben Iroha's waltz into the net for our own goal.

Iroha, our left fullback came to our rescue.

The penalty shoot-out was epic!

A pregnant colleague of mine at work had to leave the area of the office where we were watching at a point- couldn't bear the tension.

Finidi cooly rolled in his penatly.

That was a match!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by naptu2: 2:53pm On Sep 04, 2017
hoopLA:

This part is not entirely true.

Cameroon had beaten the host country Morocco in the semi final. They had been too physical and the North Africans couldn't cope with the aggression displayed by their opponents. This made the fans unhappy with Cameroon especially since it seemed they were fouling the Moroccans to disrupt their fluid style of play, which eventually paid of as Cameroon frustrated the hosts till late in the game when they scored the winner.

Hence it was only natural the host fans supported Nigeria in the finals. They booed the Cameroon anthem when it was played from the start.

And while the refereeing appeared suspect, it only added to the animosity. We lost in part due to conservative tactics byManfred Hoener who kept attacking players on the bench for more workmanlike defensive players. After our first game we didn't score more than once in a game. I remember Cameroon actually dominated play in both games we faced them in the tournament. Same for Egypt and Algeria though we were down to 10 men for a while in that semi final

But well done all the same. These brought back memories

grin And you ended up agreeing with me.

Well, I'll agree with you also. I've written on this site many times that I passionately hated Hoener, in part because of his team selection, but also because of his performance at Seoul '88.
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by naptu2: 2:58pm On Sep 04, 2017
Elxandre:
Isn't this celebration enough already?
Even when Germany destroyed Brazil 7-1, they weren't as mocked by the Germans like this. sad

Ah! This thread wasn't created to mock Cameroon o! In fact, take a look at the first post. It's about a match that Cameroon won and I praised a Cameroonian player.

1 Like

Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by hoopLA: 3:03pm On Sep 04, 2017
naptu2:

grin And you ended up agreeing with me.

Well, I'll agree with you also. I've written on this site many times that I passionately hated Hoener, in part because of his team selection, but also because of his performance at Seoul '88.
I wasn't disputing anything with you bro.

Only giving my view on what I thought happened about the booing part. I havent disagreed with the post.
I only tried to give some insight into the booing part.

Hoener started Ndubuisi Okosieme and left Edobor on the bench. I remember Charles Ojugbana complaining about the team list before the game started and Fabio Olaonipekun mentioning it too during the game. A certain Folorunsho Okenla started that game.
Head scratching selection. Hoener was never a brave coach in terms of facing top African sides. He never did any research on those sides mainly because he spent very little time in Africa.

I remember Maroc 88 very well. I was in hospital for the duration of the tournament and saw all the games broadcast by NTA on a tv in the ward I was admitted to.
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by naptu2: 3:10pm On Sep 04, 2017
hoopLA:

I wasn't disputing anything with you bro.

Only giving my view on what I thought happened about the booing part. I havent disagreed with the post.
I only tried to give some insight into the booing part.

Hoener started Ndubuisi Okosieme and left Edobor on the bench. I remember Charles Ojugbana complaining about the team list before the game started and Fabio Olaonipekun mentioning it too during the game. A certain Folorunsho Okenla started that game.
Head scratching selection. Hoener was never a brave coach in terms of facing top African sides. He never did any research on those sides mainly because he spent very little time in Africa.

I remember Maroc 88 very well. I was in hospital for the duration of the tournament and saw all the games broadcast by NTA on a tv in the ward I was admitted to.

What I mean is that you started your post with, "This part is not entirely true.", but you didn't show that it's not true (in fact you agreed with it). What you did was to provide additional information (which I appreciate).
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by hoopLA: 3:17pm On Sep 04, 2017
naptu2:

What I mean is that you started your post with, "This part is not entirely true.", but you didn't show that it's not true (in fact you agreed with it). What you did was to provide additional information (which I appreciate).

Please read through my post and see what I said about the part i quoted.

You claimed the booing was as a result of the officiating.
I told you it stemmed from the semifinal encounter prior.
We both agreed the final had controversial officiating.

What's so hard?
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by nwoke37: 3:18pm On Sep 04, 2017
Wat channel are they playing on
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by Onyenna(m): 3:35pm On Sep 04, 2017
Winken:
Today's scoreline
Cameroon 0 vs Nigeria 1
Goal to be scored in first half
Red card for Cameroon in the 2nd half.

Wonderful Combo!....

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bournemouth Signs Dominic Solanke From Liverpool (Photos) / AFCON 2019: Meet The 24 Finalist For Egypt 2019 / Koeman Blasts Barca: You Let Messi Go, Signed Ferran Torres For £45m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.