Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,301 members, 7,836,311 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:28 AM

Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). (24318 Views)

Predict Today's Match Between Nigeria And Ghana / AFCON 2019: Photos From The Match Between Nigeria and South Africa / Cameroon Vs Nigeria: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifier 1 - 1 (Full Time) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by leofab(f): 3:37pm On Sep 04, 2017
Nice analysis
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by Onyenna(m): 3:37pm On Sep 04, 2017
EagleScribes:
I can't forget the tension of watching us play against them. #memories

But as it is now, Nigeria vs Cameroon has become one - sided like the el-classico �

Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by 1wolex85: 3:40pm On Sep 04, 2017
naptu2:

This was before we had FIFA free days. Clubs were not obliged to release their players at that time, so it was a big risk for them to come and play for Nigeria. Therefore we often shuffled our team. You can see that Ricky (who was the highest goal scorer in Portugal before Yekini) played for us in the Ibadan leg of the encounter. Henry Nwosu also couldn't play in the Yaoundé leg because he didn't have the permission of his club Asec Mimosa. Yekini was playing for Africa Sports at that time.

You can't come to a naptu thread and not learn! Weh done sir! wish you write more though, your knowledge is vast, deep and cuts across a wide range of topics. Do you write on any website or for any newspaper so I can follow you?

1 Like

Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by 1wolex85: 3:42pm On Sep 04, 2017
naptu2:

This was before we had FIFA free days. Clubs were not obliged to release their players at that time, so it was a big risk for them to come and play for Nigeria. Therefore we often shuffled our team. You can see that Ricky (who was the highest goal scorer in Portugal before Yekini) played for us in the Ibadan leg of the encounter. Henry Nwosu also couldn't play in the Yaoundé leg because he didn't have the permission of his club Asec Mimosa. Yekini was playing for Africa Sports at that time.

But how were the Camerounians able to do it? Their stars were present, from the Biyiks to Jacques Songo
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by johnie: 4:18pm On Sep 04, 2017
1wolex85:

But how were the Camerounians able to do it? Their stars were present, from the Biyiks to Jacques Songo

I think most of their players plied their trade locally.

Union Douala, Tonerre Yaounde and Canon Yaounde were formidable club sides in those days.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by Rockyrascal(m): 4:23pm On Sep 04, 2017
naptu2:
Ghana-Nigeria 2000 Nations Cup Final (13 February 2000, National Stadium, Surulere, Lagos).

The 2000 Nations Cup was co-hosted by Ghana and Nigeria. Nigeria was just coming out of what was probably the best era in its football history in which it won the 1994 Nations Cup, qualified for its first and second World Cups and won the 1996 Olympics football tournament.

Cameroon had had its golden era in the 1980s, winning two Nations Cups and also reaching the quarterfinals of the 1990 World Cup, but it suffered a terrible slump after that and had a disgraceful appearance at the 1994 World Cup.

Note: Raphael Chukwu Ndukwe, who scored in this match, was one of the television commentators (summariser) during Nigeria’s last match against Cameroon in Uyo on September 1st 2017.

Samuel Eto’o gave Cameroon the lead in the 26th minute off a freekick and Patrick Mboma doubled the lead 31st minute. Chukwu Ndukwe scored for Nigeria just before half time and Jay Jay Okocha equalised for Nigeria at the beginning of the second half via a thunderous strike. It was 2-2 at the end of extra time and then came the penalty kicks.

Okocha and Godwin Okpara scored their penalties for Nigeria as did Patrick Mboma and Pierre Wome for Cameroon. Then Kanu missed his penalty and Geremi scored his. Ikpeba was adjudged to have missed his penalty, despite the fact that it actually crossed the line (Ikpeba didn’t help matters. He put his hand on his head as if he had missed). Marc Vivian Foe also missed his penalty.Oliseh scored and Rigobert Song also scored to give Cameroon their third Nations Cup victory. It ended

Nigeria 2-2 Cameroon (3-4 on penalties)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QuJiHtJLDA

Line Up

Nigeria

Ike Shorunmu (goalkeeper)

Godwin Okpara

Taribo West

Celestine Babayaro

Mutiu Adepoju

Jay Jay Okocha

Sunday Oliseh

Finidi George

Nwankwo Kanu

Raphael Chukwu

Furo Iyenemi

Substitutions

Julius Aghahowa for Raphael Chukwu
Tijana Babangida for Finidi George
Victor Ikpeba for Mutiu Adepoju

Cameroon

Boukar Alioum (goalkeeper)

Raymond Kalla

Pierre Njanka

Rigobert Song

Nlend Pierre Wome

Bissan Lauren

Salomon Olembe

Marc-Vivien Foe

Geremi

Samuel Eto'o

Patrick Mboma

Substitutions
Joseph-Desire Job for
Lucien Mettomo for Raymond Kalla
Chai, I watched this game. I shed tears when we lost in the penalty shoot out,victor ikpeba's penalty kick was actually a goal but it was disallowed....how I wish there was goal line technology then.
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by naptu2: 4:24pm On Sep 04, 2017
hoopLA:

Please read through my post and see what I said about the part i quoted.

You claimed the booing was as a result of the officiating.
I told you it stemmed from the semifinal encounter prior.
We both agreed the final had controversial officiating.

What's so hard?

I said that the Moroccans felt that Nigeria was being cheated and booed Cameroon and supported Nigeria. You said that that's not entirely correct. Therefore you are saying that the Moroccans did not feel that Nigeria was being cheated, or did not support Nigeria or boo Cameroon. That's different from saying, "in addition to that the Moroccans were aggrieved because of the earlier match".
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by naptu2: 4:28pm On Sep 04, 2017
1wolex85:

They also had to rotate their players, it's just that they had a lot of very good players (e.g. goalkeepers like Antoine Bell, Jacques Song'o, Thomas N'kono, etc). They also had a lot of players that played in their local league.
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by johnie: 4:32pm On Sep 04, 2017
naptu2:

They also had to rotate their players, it's just that they had a lot of very good players (e.g. goalkeepers like Antoine Bell, Jacques Song'o, Thomas N'kono, etc). They also had a lot of players that played in their local league.

Cameroun had the best set of keepers in Africa for a long time, starting with Nkono.

While our Okalla was very good, I think the other keeper close to the Camerounians was Zaki of Morocco.

1 Like

Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by Samunique(m): 4:50pm On Sep 04, 2017
Op thank you so much for the memories !!!

That 1988 final was very painful and pure day light robbery by ayaoutu led caf then who happened to be a Cameroonian.

I think it pay back time for them, we have to pay them back now in their own coin for all the robberies !!!

1 Like

Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by hoopLA: 4:57pm On Sep 04, 2017
naptu2:

I said that the Moroccans felt that Nigeria was being cheated and booed Cameroon and supported Nigeria. You said that that's not entirely correct. Therefore you are saying that the Moroccans did not feel that Nigeria was being cheated, or did not support Nigeria or boo Cameroon. That's different from saying, "in addition to that the Moroccans were aggrieved because of the earlier match".

That is you concluding for me.

This is what I said:
hoopLA:

This part is not entirely true.

Cameroon had beaten the host country Morocco in the semi final. They had been too physical and the North Africans couldn't cope with the aggression displayed by their opponents. This made the fans unhappy with Cameroon especially since it seemed they were fouling the Moroccans to disrupt their fluid style of play, which eventually paid of as Cameroon frustrated the hosts till late in the game when they scored the winner.

Hence it was only natural the host fans supported Nigeria in the finals. They booed the Cameroon anthem when it was played from the start.

And while the refereeing appeared suspect, it only added to the animosity. We lost in part due to conservative tactics byManfred Hoener who kept attacking players on the bench for more workmanlike defensive players. After our first game we didn't score more than once in a game. I remember Cameroon actually dominated play in both games we faced them in the tournament. Same for Egypt and Algeria though we were down to 10 men for a while in that semi final

But well done all the same. These brought back memories

Read the emboldened again.

I don't know how you arrived at your conclusion because I laid a premise for the Moroccan crowd supporting Nigeria from the start. I mentioned the crowd booing their national anthem. Was there any officiating done before the anthem that we aren't aware of?I went a step further to say that the officiating heightened the animosity towards the Cameroon players.
It's all there for you to see.

Because you want to pick an argument with me you have to force feed me with conclusions drawn that have almost no bearing to the topic.

Knock yourself out sir but don't conjecture scenarios that you imagine in your head. No one is faulting your write up. I'm only trying to add some clarity to the scenario you painted.
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by Jarus(m): 4:58pm On Sep 04, 2017
This was when Nations Cup was Nations cup, before exposure to European football dwindled Nigerians' interest in national team football.
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by Jarus(m): 5:02pm On Sep 04, 2017
johnie:

Cameroun had the best set of keepers in Africa for a long time, starting with Nkono.

While our Okalla was very good, I think the other keeper close to the Camerounians was Zaki of Morocco.

Camerounian keepers get big clubs in Europe from the 80s till today.

The current first keeper of Ajax is also a Camerounian. Idris Kanemi has been one og the top keepers in La Liga for about 15 years.
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by naptu2: 5:04pm On Sep 04, 2017
hoopLA:

That is you concluding for me.

This is what I said:

Read the emboldened again.

I don't know how you arrived at your conclusion because I laid a premise for the Moroccan crowd supporting Nigeria from the start. I mentioned the crowd booing their national anthem. Was there any officiating done before the anthem that we aren't aware of?I went a step further to say that the officiating heightened the animosity towards the Cameroon players.
It's all there for you to see.

Because you want to pick an argument with me you have to force feed me with conclusions drawn that have almost no bearing to the topic.

Knock yourself out sir but don't conjecture scenarios that you imagine in your head. No one is faulting your write up. I'm only trying to add some clarity to the scenario you painted.

You wrote That's not entirely true. What then is not true?

Of course I knew about the Morocco v Cameroon game but I left it out because that was not my focus. My focus was on the Nigeria v Cameroon match. The comment by the Moroccans that we were cheated was what I read in Complete Football at the time. Nowhere did I say that that was the only reason that they booed Cameroon, so what did I write that is "not entirely true"??

1 Like

Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by hoopLA: 5:08pm On Sep 04, 2017
Jarus:
This was when Nations Cup was Nations cup, before exposure to European football dwindled Nigerians' interest in national team football.
Only eight teams made that nations cup.
So if you got there you knew you deserved Tobe there. There were no easy games in that tournament. The Kenya we beat gave a good account of themselves.

It was tougher in group a; Zaire Ivory Coast Algeria and Morrocco. 6 games played and only 2 wins in that group; Algeria beat Zaire and morroco beat Algeria 1-0 each
Ivory Coast and Algeria ended with3 points each with same goals scored and conceded. Algeria went through via coin toss.

Minus Kenya all the sides had excellent goalkeepers: Rufai (Nigeria), Bell (Cameroon) Shoubair (Egypt), Drid (Algeria), Zaki(Morocco), Guamene (Ivory Coast), Merikani (Zaire)

That nations cup has to be the greatest and toughest of all time

1 Like

Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by johnie: 5:18pm On Sep 04, 2017
Jarus:

The current first keeper of Ajax is also a Camerounian. Idris Kanemi has been one og the top keepers in La Liga for about 15 years.

Looks like they had some sort of mentoring system going on.

Kameni was discovered by Nkono and brought to Espanyol where Nkono had been keeper for years.
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by naptu2: 5:24pm On Sep 04, 2017
Jarus:

Yeah, Song'o also played for Deportivo La Coruna.
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by hoopLA: 5:30pm On Sep 04, 2017
naptu2:

You wrote That's not entirely true. What then is not true?

Of course I knew about the Morocco v Cameroon game but I left it out because that was not my focus. My focus was on the Nigeria v Cameroon match. The comment by the Moroccans that we were cheated was what I read in Complete Football at the time. Nowhere did I say that that was the only reason that they booed Cameroon, so what did I write that is "not entirely true"??

What is not entirely true is that the crowd were booing Cameroon as a result of the officiating.Regardless of where you got that info from.
Hence the back story.
If you change the narrative to suit your description then it is no longer credible. The focus is not the issue because you only intend to make your story sensational and appeal to emotions of those reading it but I'm calling you out on that.

You can avoid the semi final to make your story juicier but that isn't what happened. I'm here to stop you from spreading fables that sound nice but aren't true.

I'm tired of this unnecessary back and forth. If you want to choose which details to ignore it's up to you but those of us who recollect know that it is a stretch to say the booing arose from the officiating.

All these semantics aren't really necessary if you admit that you were aware of the semi final. The Moroccans were going to side Nigeria ab initio. And like I said, even though you refuse to accept it, the officiating only made the support for Nigeria more from the host fans.

Your source was a magazine you read. Yet you come here and try to dispute an opinion from someone who followed the competition.
Yit knew about the semi final yet you chose to take complete football's view instead of what you know. The same complete football that broke false news about Etim Esin failing a drug test in Lokeren in Belgium is who you are choosing to live and die by.

I'm not sure what this means to you. If you cannot take simple corrections or criticism then it's hard to accept that you are objective in the first place.
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by Jarus(m): 5:35pm On Sep 04, 2017
naptu2:
Ghana-Nigeria 2000 Nations Cup Final (13 February 2000, National Stadium, Surulere, Lagos).

The 2000 Nations Cup was co-hosted by Ghana and Nigeria. Nigeria was just coming out of what was probably the best era in its football history in which it won the 1994 Nations Cup, qualified for its first and second World Cups and won the 1996 Olympics football tournament.

Cameroon had had its golden era in the 1980s, winning two Nations Cups and also reaching the quarterfinals of the 1990 World Cup, but it suffered a terrible slump after that and had a disgraceful appearance at the 1994 World Cup.

Note: Raphael Chukwu Ndukwe, who scored in this match, was one of the television commentators (summariser) during Nigeria’s last match against Cameroon in Uyo on September 1st 2017.

Samuel Eto’o gave Cameroon the lead in the 26th minute off a freekick and Patrick Mboma doubled the lead 31st minute. Chukwu Ndukwe scored for Nigeria just before half time and Jay Jay Okocha equalised for Nigeria at the beginning of the second half via a thunderous strike. It was 2-2 at the end of extra time and then came the penalty kicks.

Okocha and Godwin Okpara scored their penalties for Nigeria as did Patrick Mboma and Pierre Wome for Cameroon. Then Kanu missed his penalty and Geremi scored his. Ikpeba was adjudged to have missed his penalty, despite the fact that it actually crossed the line (Ikpeba didn’t help matters. He put his hand on his head as if he had missed). Marc Vivian Foe also missed his penalty.Oliseh scored and Rigobert Song also scored to give Cameroon their third Nations Cup victory. It ended

Nigeria 2-2 Cameroon (3-4 on penalties)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QuJiHtJLDA

Line Up

Nigeria

Ike Shorunmu (goalkeeper)

Godwin Okpara

Taribo West

Celestine Babayaro

Mutiu Adepoju

Jay Jay Okocha

Sunday Oliseh

Finidi George

Nwankwo Kanu

Raphael Chukwu

Furo Iyenemi

Substitutions

Julius Aghahowa for Raphael Chukwu
Tijana Babangida for Finidi George
Victor Ikpeba for Mutiu Adepoju

Cameroon

Boukar Alioum (goalkeeper)

Raymond Kalla

Pierre Njanka

Rigobert Song

Nlend Pierre Wome

Bissan Lauren

Salomon Olembe

Marc-Vivien Foe

Geremi

Samuel Eto'o

Patrick Mboma

Substitutions
Joseph-Desire Job for
Lucien Mettomo for Raymond Kalla
Eto'o is a legend. This was 17 years ago. Still balling. He was the secind highest goal scorer in Turkish league last season.
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by naptu2: 5:39pm On Sep 04, 2017
hoopLA:

What is not entirely true is that the crowd were booing Cameroon as a result of the officiating.Regardless of where you got that info from.
Hence the back story.
If you change the narrative to suit your description then it is no longer credible. The focus is not the issue because you only intend to make your story sensational and appeal to emotions of those reading it but I'm calling you out on that.

You can avoid the semi final to make your story juicier but that isn't what happened. I'm here to stop you from spreading fables that sound nice but aren't true.

I'm tired of this unnecessary back and forth. If you want to choose which details to ignore it's up to you but those of us who recollect know that it is a stretch to say the booing arose from the officiating.

All these semantics aren't really necessary if you admit that you were aware of the semi final. The Moroccans were going to side Nigeria ab initio. And like I said, even though you refuse to accept it, the officiating only made the support for Nigeria more from the host fans.

Your source was a magazine you read. Yet you come here and try to dispute an opinion from someone who followed the competition.
Yit knew about the semi final yet you chose to take complete football's view instead of what you know. The same complete football that broke false news about Etim Esin failing a drug test in Lokeren in Belgium is who you are choosing to live and die by.

I'm not sure what this means to you. If you cannot take simple corrections or criticism then it's hard to accept that you are objective in the first place.

So you mean that if Moroccan fans told Complete Football that they felt that Nigeria was cheated and they expressed their feelings because of that it is still not true because you say so? ? shocked shocked shocked My God!

You even accept that "the officiating only made the support for Nigeria more from the host fans" and yet you are still trying to negate the same thing. I said that the Moroccan fans felt that Nigeria was being cheated and booed the Cameroonians, a Moroccan fan said the same thing, you also said that it made the Moroccan fans support Nigeria even more and you are still saying it's not correct. Jesus Christ! Are you listening to yourself??

Should I also have written about the Cameroon vs Cote D'Ivoire match in 1992?? What the heck is this guy talking about??

And what do you mean by "someone who followed the competition"?? Do you think you are the only one that followed the competition??

1 Like

Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by Antina(f): 6:36pm On Sep 04, 2017
Good one Op! Bringing back old memories!!!
Re: Epic Encounters Between Nigeria And Cameroon (Videos And Memories). by Funjosh(m): 12:01pm On Jan 27
naptu2:
Tunisia 2004 Nations Cup Quarter Final (8 February 2004)

Samuel Eto’o scored for Cameroon off a fast break and Jay Jay Okocha equalised three minutes later from a fantastic freekick. And then there was a moment of magic.

Kanu Nwankwo got the ball in the middle of the park. The Cameroonians were confused because as soon as Kanu got the ball John Utaka ran to the right and Osaze Odemwingie, who had scored two goals against South Africa in the previous match, ran to the left. They didn’t know who to chase. Kanu chose to pass the ball to Utaka, who scored to give Nigeria victory. It ended

Nigeria 2-1 Cameroon
(Your summariser is Stephen Keshi)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMw_XBWBYMI

Line Up

Nigeria
Vincent Enyeama (goalkeeper)
Joseph Yobo
Isaac Okoronkwo
George Abbey
Ifeanyi Udeze
Nwankwo Kanu
Austin Okocha
Mr. Garba Lawal
Seyi Olofinjana
John Utaka
Peter Odemwingie

Substitutions
Joseph Enakhire for Kanu Nwankwo
Pius Ikedia for Peter Odemwingie

Cameroon
Idriss Carlos Kameni (goalkeeper)
Jean-Joel Perrier Doumbe
Bill Tchato
Rigobert Song
Lucien Mettomo
Timothee Atouba
Modeste Mbami
Geremi Njitap
Eric Djemba Djemba
Samuel Eto'o,
Patrick Mboma

Substitutions
Mohamadou Idrissou for Bill Tchatou
Pius Ndiefi for Patrick Mboma

He is Mr. Garba Lawal grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bundesliga Restarts! With Dortmund Vs Schalke 04 / Kanu Nwankwo Visits Otti, Wishes Him Successful Administration (Photos) / NFF President And Officials At Keshi's House In Benin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.