Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:20 AM

5 Ways Your Parents’ Advice Could Destroy Your Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 5 Ways Your Parents’ Advice Could Destroy Your Marriage (747 Views)

Getting Married And Living In Your Parents House. What Is Wrong About It / Your Advice Could Save A Life Because I'm Dying / What Is The Craziest Thing Your Parents Ever Told You? (screenshots Attached) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Ways Your Parents’ Advice Could Destroy Your Marriage by wealthyhrt: 12:40am On Sep 05, 2017
In my last blog post, I explained the fact that Parents have important roles in the life of a child of which one of such major roles include providing direction and guidelines to enable the child grow without having to make too many mistakes in life. Marriage is also part of it but it is also very important to understand that the quality of guidance would be based on the quality of knowledge such parent has. This means that if a mother has a very bad knowledge about marriage may be due to bad experience, she could easily pass this same wrong knowledge to his/her child as the case may be. The same goes to a father with a bad experience in marriage.

5 advice from parents and how they could destroy your marriage

1. “All men (women) are cheats, that was how your father (mother) kept cheating on me”

The intent of this advice is to cause the person being advised to be very alert to whatsoever traits of cheating that could come up in the partner in the cause of the marriage. This advice gradually causes trust to die in a marriage because someone is expecting his/her partner to cheat someday. I have come to understand that in life, you will have whatever you expect sooner or later. So once such advice has prepared your heart, don’t be surprise when you start observing the signs your parents told you. No two marriages are the same, the fact that your father cheated on your mother does not mean that your husband will cheat on you and vice versa. You may never know what transpired and led to the bad advice considering the fact that the person giving you the advice may not tell you his/her own faults that contributed to causing the other person to cheat.

My advice: Get all the details from your parents, decide that your marriage will not be like that of your parents and do your part to the best of your knowledge. Leave the rest to God (that is if you believe in God).

2. “Never allow your spouse to know how much you earn as salary”

This is another funny one, but I have heard some unmarried working class ladies say it even though their ages are running quite out.
I have heard a father advise a son that it is dangerous to allow your wife know what you earn because she could know your worth and finally use it against you. I was surprised because such advice is common among marriages not built on trust. I have examined this advice closely and I have seen it in men with inferiority complex for a working class woman/wife, husbands who think their wives would start demanding more than its’ necessary, and then in working class wives who feel their husband could start demanding more from them financially. Transparency is very important to a lasting relationship.

My advice: Study your partner to know how much he/she could carry. If he/she can’t keep secret, mummy’s boy or daddy’s girl, wasteful and extremely materialistic, then keeping quiet may be the best option. But if you have a great partner, then total transparency would be the greatest gift you will give yourself (your marriage).

to continue reading click ==> https://mimiykesblog..com/2017/09/5-ways-your-parents-advice-could.html
Re: 5 Ways Your Parents’ Advice Could Destroy Your Marriage by wealthyhrt: 12:33pm On Sep 12, 2017
wealthyhrt:
In my last blog post, I explained the fact that Parents have important roles in the life of a child of which one of such major roles include providing direction and guidelines to enable the child grow without having to make too many mistakes in life. Marriage is also part of it but it is also very important to understand that the quality of guidance would be based on the quality of knowledge such parent has. This means that if a mother has a very bad knowledge about marriage may be due to bad experience, she could easily pass this same wrong knowledge to his/her child as the case may be. The same goes to a father with a bad experience in marriage.

1. “All men (women) are cheats, that was how your father (mother) kept cheating on me”

The intent of this advice is to cause the person being advised to be very alert to whatsoever traits of cheating that could come up in the partner in the cause of the marriage. This advice gradually causes trust to die in a marriage because someone is expecting his/her partner to cheat someday. I have come to understand that in life, you will have whatever you expect sooner or later. So once such advice has prepared your heart, don’t be surprise when you start observing the signs your parents told you. No two marriages are the same, the fact that your father cheated on your mother does not mean that your husband will cheat on you and vice versa. You may never know what transpired and led to the bad advice considering the fact that the person giving you the advice may not tell you his/her own faults that contributed to causing the other person to cheat.

My advice: Get all the details from your parents, decide that your marriage will not be like that of your parents and do your part to the best of your knowledge. Leave the rest to God (that is if you believe in God).

This is another funny one, but I have heard some unmarried working class ladies say it even though their ages are running quite out.
I have heard a father advise a son that it is dangerous to allow your wife know what you earn because she could know your worth and finally use it against you. I was surprised because such advice is common among marriages not built on trust. I have examined this advice closely and I have seen it in men with inferiority complex for a working class woman/wife, husbands who think their wives would start demanding more than its’ necessary, and then in working class wives who feel their husband could start demanding more from them financially. Transparency is very important to a lasting relationship.

My advice: Study your partner to know how much he/she could carry. If he/she can’t keep secret, mummy’s boy or daddy’s girl, wasteful and extremely materialistic, then keeping quiet may be the best option. But if you have a great partner, then total transparency would be the greatest gift you will give yourself (your marriage).

to continue reading click ==> https://mimiykesblog..com/2017/09/5-ways-your-parents-advice-could.html
wealthyhrt:

(1) (Reply)

My Baby Was Left Out From Jan. 1 World Record- Nigerian Newborn Father / Top 10 Conversations To Have With Your Child / Have You Ever Experienced A Watershed? Please Share With Us.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.