Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine (12958 Views)

Diesel Engine And Petrol Engine Which Do You Prefer / Toyota Develops World's Most Thermally Efficient 2.0-liter Petrol Engine / 2002 Toyota Avensis Needs Conversion From Diesel To Petrol Engine. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by takenadoh: 10:07am On Sep 07, 2017
Denn:

In summary, are you saying diesel engines are not efficient due to their cylinder weights?

No. I am saying the weight will reduce its efficiency that's all.

Reduce from what to what? I don't know
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by Denn(m): 10:28am On Sep 07, 2017
takenadoh:

No. I am saying the weight will reduce its efficiency that's all.

Reduce from what to what? I don't know

Making an engine block stronger with say additional 10kg of alloys would in no way reduce the efficiency if it produces more hp/torque or has a better MPG overall.

All these would have been put into consideration at the basic level of engine design.

One of the points given in the article is a leaner burn which implies lesser fuel consumption for same or more power..

This engine from all indications would be more efficient rather than less
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by takenadoh: 10:38am On Sep 07, 2017
Denn:

Making an engine block stronger with say additional 10kg of alloys would in no way reduce the efficiency if it produces more hp/torque or has a better MPG overall.

All these would have been put into consideration at the basic level of engine design.

One of the points given in the article is a leaner burn which implies lesser fuel consumption for same or more power..

This engine from all indications would be more efficient rather than less

Okay you don't get it.
I rest my case.
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by muller101(m): 10:40am On Sep 07, 2017
AFONJACOW:
I want the one that run totally with water
steam engine runs on water nah
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by Denn(m): 10:47am On Sep 07, 2017
takenadoh:

Okay you don't get it.
I rest my case.

It is you that did not get it.

Will putting a 50kg bag of cement in the boot of a G63 AMG make it slower than a G500?

As an extra, there is a principle called power to weight ratio when designing cars. The only reason weight shedding is done on cars is to get more power output to carry a lesser weight
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by AFONJACOW(m): 10:47am On Sep 07, 2017
muller101:
steam engine runs on water nah
but its not popular ?
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by muller101(m): 10:49am On Sep 07, 2017
AFONJACOW:
but its not popular ?
yeah . Check my profile DP that's a steam engine I run that with hot water.
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by AFONJACOW(m): 10:58am On Sep 07, 2017
muller101:
yeah . Check my profile DP that's a steam engine I run that with hot water.
hahahahahahahaha you are funny ...
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by muller101(m): 11:00am On Sep 07, 2017
AFONJACOW:
hahahahahahahaha you are funny ...
I am no joking bro. That's a 20 horse power steam engine. If u know the principles of how locomotives Operates u will know I am serious
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by hAlexandro(m): 11:32am On Sep 07, 2017
Let's hope it's efficient with the discharge of heavy work load considering the air/fuel ratio
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by gabe: 11:33am On Sep 07, 2017
AFONJACOW:
rubbish.. they are not there yet , until car run with water grin grin grin they need to make things easier for my like
there are cars that burn hydrogen ad oxygen to release steam. Thats close enuf to water abi?
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by mayor2013: 11:35am On Sep 07, 2017
Denn:

First, the Nigerian used car market does not make a dot on the planning and research process of vehicle manufacturers.

Second, the spark plugs are only used during Cold starts and at certain RPMs. Current ECUs can manage secondary air pumps, I don't think an ECU designed in 2017 wouldn't be able to know when there is a need for spark or not.

As regards octane, I even think this car would work better with a lower octane fuel. I can share my theory if you want.
Cheers

If you know how diesel engine runs then you wouldn't be able to draw up conclusions. They have clearly made a statement of Making two technologies as I have earlier pointed out. Who knows if they know the homogeneous tech is a failed one already. I might be wrong though until we the engineers visually see and feel this on our dirty hands grin grin
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by ndenzo(m): 11:39am On Sep 07, 2017
Nice job
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by mayor2013: 11:42am On Sep 07, 2017
These manufacturers are getting tired daily. Getting tired of fines been imposed by environmental protection agencies. Fines running into billion of dollars. That's why they keep coming up with different means of dummy technologies grin grin of cutting emission strict laws. Germany on this are even more strict. I hope they get this right
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by DaimlerBen(m): 3:05pm On Sep 07, 2017
takenadoh:

Okay you don't get it.
I rest my case.
I think you don't get it.
Since it's petrol, you don't need such high pressures as in diesels, if you understand PV=nRT.
The spark plug ignites it, but given that it has a low flash point, it doesn't need to reach auto-ignition temperature using extremely high pressures, unlike diesel which must exceed auto-ignition temperature since it can't ignite by spark.
So, as Denn said, the engine may not be significantly heavier.
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by Denn(m): 3:55pm On Sep 07, 2017
mayor2013:

If you know how diesel engine runs then you wouldn't be able to draw up conclusions. They have clearly made a statement of Making two technologies as I have earlier pointed out. Who knows if they know the homogeneous tech is a failed one already. I might be wrong though until we the engineers visually see and feel this on our dirty hands grin grin

I seem not to understand your point sir
Re: Mazda's Breakthrough Makes Sparkless Petrol Engine As Efficient As Diesel Engine by DaimlerBen(m): 4:44pm On Sep 07, 2017
mayor2013:

It hasn't failed. This is the beginning of true flex fuel cars, running on everything from kerosene to vegetable oil.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ford Issues Safety Compliance And Recalls For 2020-21 Ford F-Series / Dubai To Test Digital Number Plates That Can Alert Police And Call Ambulance / How To Know The Engine Size Of VW Golf 3 From The VIN Or Engine Number

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.