Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,657 members, 7,809,488 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:28 AM

4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria (15304 Views)

4 Simple & Beautiful Houses You Can Build For Rent In Nigeria (video) / Nigerian Living Abroad? Reasons To Invest In Real Estate / Five Reasons Investing In Real Estate Is Better Than Saving In Te Bank. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:03am On Sep 07, 2017
Investing in real estate is more than just finding a place to call home. Investing in the real estate sector in Nigeria has become increasingly popular over the last couple of years and has become a common investment thread. In Nigeria, the real estate business is truly lucrative and profitable, it has to be Real Estate. The Real Estate sector is currently booming in Nigeria and people are making millions in it, irrespective of the economic downturn, it can be seen as a real money spinner.

One thing very good about real estate business in Nigeria is that the investment opportunities it presents are so diverse, there is something in it for everyone and you grow in the business, you can also expand your portfolio. Although the real estate market has plenty of opportunities for making huge profits, buying and owning real estate is a lot more complicated than investing in stocks. In this article, we’ll go beyond buying a home and introduce you to real estate as an investment.

Here are some of the ways you can see real estate as an investment that could bring in huge returns and not just the buying of a dream home for you and your family alone.

1. The Gift of Rental Properties
Investing in rental properties is as old as the practice of land ownership. You buy a property or properties and then rent it out to tenants. You become the landlord responsible for paying the costs of maintaining the property. Usually, you would charge enough as rent to cover all of the costs associated with owning a rental property as well as a profit portion, hence the need to do enough research about the rental value been charged by landlords in the area, who have the same property. Owning a rental property automatically leaves you having a fixed rental income yearly or monthly. Generally, properties appreciate in value over time, leaving the landlord with a more valuable asset.

There are, of course, blemishes on the face of what seems like an ideal investment as you can end up with a bad tenant who could damage the property or, worse still, end up having no tenant at all. This could leave you with a negative monthly cash flow. There is also the matter of finding the right property. You will want to pick an area that is conducive for people to live in, also, choose a place that people will love to rent.

Perhaps the biggest difference between a rental property and other investments is the amount of time and work you have to devote to maintaining your investment. When you buy a stock, it simply sits in your brokerage account and, hopefully, increases in value. If you invest in a rental property, there are many responsibilities that come along with being a landlord. You have to be actively involved in the maintenance and running of your property. However, if it gets too much, you can employ the services of a professional manager which doesn’t come free of charge.

2. Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs)
Most Nigerians do not know about the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) . REITs are a form of collective investment scheme regulated by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), which pools capital from investors and uses same in the acquisition of income generating real estate, mortgage loans, or a combination of both. The portfolio of underlying assets is placed under professional management to maximize returns to the investors, who are able to hold an indirect interest in real estate on a flow-through basis, placing them in a position as if the property were held as a direct investment. REITs are bought and sold on the major exchanges, just like any other stock.

REITs has been found to come with a lot of benefits. One of this is portfolio diversification, as real estate investment offers an alternative to equities and fixed income securities, especially for investors interested in diversification. Liquidity is also another benefit derived from REITs as it makes for relatively liquid assets (when compared to direct investment in real estate) that can be sold fairly quickly to raise cash or to take advantage of other investment opportunities.

Much like regular dividend-paying stocks, REITs are a solid investment for stock market
investors that want regular income. REITs also allows investors into non-residential investments such as malls or office buildings and are highly liquid. In other words, you won’t need a realtor to help you cash out your investment.

3. Land Flipping
This means buying of land and reselling quickly for a profit. This is one of the smartest investment and it requires little to no effort whatsoever. It basically involves your money as well as an in-depth knowledge of land ownership and the buying and selling process, you are good to go. You would have to have a substantial amount of money however if you want to make hundreds of millions but you can start small by buying just one plot and grow to buy tens of plots and acres of lands and keep selling all year round.

4. Property Development
Investing in property development is really capital intensive. This involves acquiring properties in nice locations, developing them into luxury apartments, commercial structures, etc and sell at a very high-profit margin. For example, If you spend N200 million to develop a property in a very nice location, be sure you are going to sell for N400million. The location is key if you are thinking of investing in property development.

These types of real estate investment above, have only scratched the surface. Within these examples, there are countless variations of real estate investments. As with any investment, there is much potential in the real estate sector, however, make careful choices, carry out due diligence, research and weigh out the costs and benefits of your actions before diving in.

Source:
https://www.tolet.com.ng/blog/4-simple-ways-to-invest-in-real-estate-in-nigeria/

www.naijapropertiesonline.com

Cc: lalasticlala , Mynd44

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:46am On Sep 08, 2017
lalasticlala, Mynd44
Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:19am On Sep 08, 2017
It's all about the Money.
May God give us many of it.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by Harbeyg09(m): 7:20am On Sep 08, 2017
Amin Insha Allah

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by Funjosh(m): 7:21am On Sep 08, 2017
Don't give your land or properties to the people that called themselves developers.
Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by COFOLAND(m): 7:22am On Sep 08, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbvvRwSLH7o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkP8Tm6F9NU

For inspection and subscription form call or whatsapp +2349066815852.
Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by MrGreenMavro: 7:22am On Sep 08, 2017
owonikoko
Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by adextetoo(m): 7:23am On Sep 08, 2017
Really?

Which is wise to invest in Bitcoin or Real Estate? I need urgent answers!!
Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by Prec1ous(m): 7:25am On Sep 08, 2017
I agree
Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by proeast(m): 7:26am On Sep 08, 2017
Sure, property investment is one of the most lucrative investment anyone can invest on in Nigeria. There little or no tax and aside periodic maintainance, you hardly spend much again after the initial investment & requires very little supervision because you can monitor your estate and collect your rent as at when due from anywhere in the world! Certainly the best investment in Nigeria today. Galaxy Properties can help you to buy genuine properties in Owerri & beyond.
Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by Aristotle96(m): 7:27am On Sep 08, 2017
No be empty hands person go carry start am na cry
Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by MOHRUQ: 7:32am On Sep 08, 2017
Well written and thoroughly explained.

1 Like

Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by iykepromotions: 7:34am On Sep 08, 2017
There's Also online real estate. ie investing in EXPIRED Domain Flipping. you buy cheap; just $8.99, leave for some time and resell higher. I made my first $550 selling a single domain name with an investment of $9USD. For FREE details about online real estate, visit www.Nairaland.com/3430037/what-make-money-online
Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:35am On Sep 08, 2017
Interesting..

ROXBURY HOMES BRINGS TO YOU THE BEST OF
LUXURIOUS LIVING WITHIN AFFORDABILITY..

SEMI-DETACHED FOUR (4) BEDROOM and TWO (2)
BEDROOM DUPLEXES WITH BQ ARE UP FOR SALE.
COMES FULLY EQUIPPED WITH MODERN GADGETS, and
CARPORTS WITH AMPLE PARKING SPACE.

FACILITIES: One Year Membership of Dream World Fun
City, Swimming Pool, Event Centre, Gym Centre, Round
The Clock Security.

LOCATION: 2nd Toll gate, Orchid Hotel road by Eleganza, Lekki-Lagos.

TITLE: Governor's Consent

PRICE: #47M (Semi-detached 4 bedroom duplexes);
#33M (two bedroom fully equipped semi-detached
duplex)
FLEXIBLE PAYMENT OPTIONS AVAILABLE

Call/WhatsApp: 08075256644;
info@naijapropertiesonline.com

www.naijapropertiesonline.com/listings/2nd-toll-gate-
ochid-hotel-road-eleganza/

1 Like

Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by proeast(m): 7:36am On Sep 08, 2017
adextetoo:
Really?

Which is wise to invest in Bitcoin or Real Estate? I need urgent answers!!
Seriously? I mean how dare you compare both? Bitcoin can be compared with forex and other volatile internet/virual business trading but property investment are solid assets that lasts a lifetime and continues to appreciate in value with assured income forever!

3 Likes

Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by proeast(m): 7:43am On Sep 08, 2017
Aristotle96:
No be empty hands person go carry start am na cry
Go hussle my brother, there is always land available for sale once you have the money, however, the problem is that the more you delay, the more prices skyrocket out of reach. Population explotion and massive rural to urban migration has caused land prices to be increasing at a hyper geometric proportion while income or savings grows at a snail pace arithmetic proportion and just like the curse of poverty circle, many may never be able to buy land except there is a radical improvement in income.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by hadura29(m): 7:45am On Sep 08, 2017
PropertiesNaija:
lalasticlala, Mynd44

Do you think house flipping works in Nigeria and how profitable is it here? Good morning
Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by Webman007: 7:46am On Sep 08, 2017
Need A Website for your properties and or Real Estate Business?....Let Doers Technologies do that for you...

Some of our sample works includes..

Efficacyconstruction.com

landdeynaija.com

And

myhomematch.com.ng

wismekplanet.com

Location is not a problem whether you're here in Lagos or not...We are ready to get your Realtor Website up and running....

Call/WhatsApp us now on: 08095966698 or 08077040583

Email: info@doerstechnologies.com.ng

URL: www.doerstechnologies.com.ng

Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by celestialAgent(m): 7:48am On Sep 08, 2017
Why do I feel any amount less than 1m is not worth investing? Someone should enlighten me pls undecided

Would u call 200 - 500k a good amount to b invested in this Buhari era?
Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by just4tech: 7:49am On Sep 08, 2017
Interesting
Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:00am On Sep 08, 2017
Proud Estate surveyor and Valuer.

Listen to my freestyle @ https://my.notjustok.com/track/download/id/24670

Also listen to my song dedicated to all Nigerian rappers at https://my.notjustok.com/track/download/id/233002
Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by gbadexy(m): 8:04am On Sep 08, 2017
well detailed information. I'm sure it would be very helpful to those looking for investment ideas, especially in the property section.
The property management is a scheme that would save many property owners headache.
I suppose those managers would employ shylocks or military men to get the tenants to cooperate.
The land flipping seems to be the best with the least stress after the initial stressful process and sufficient capital.
Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by Rainmaker69(m): 8:20am On Sep 08, 2017
One of the biggest lies sold to the modern world is Real Estate ownership as a good form of investment. Although real estate as a vehicle provides a 'safe' way to tie up money, you will find that unless its a short term purchase, recouping the purchase value of the property will take more than 10 years. In real life terms, that's a slow investment. That's leaving out factors like inflation, and the monetary cost of perfecting title, ground rent, tenement rates, property maintenance and reasonable wear and tear.
Interestingly, liquidating real estate is a source of headache for many owners, especially when the property is not 'prime'.
Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:29am On Sep 08, 2017
Call us for genuine land deals in Nigeria.
We sell land in Lagos, Ogun State, Delta and Imo state.

visit http://havillaplus.com
or call +2348105792124

1 Like

Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 8:29am On Sep 08, 2017
Funjosh:
Don't give your land or properties to the people that called themselves developers.
Do one just give or sell
Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 8:33am On Sep 08, 2017
Rainmaker69:
One of the biggest lies sold to the modern world is Real Estate ownership as a good form of investment. Although real estate as a vehicle provides a 'safe' way to tie up money, you will find that unless its a short term purchase, recouping the purchase value of the property will take more than 10 years. In real life terms, that's a slow investment. That's leaving out factors like inflation, and the monetary cost of perfecting title, ground rent, tenement rates, property maintenance and reasonable wear and tear.
Interestingly, liquidating real estate is a source of headache for many owners, especially when the property is not 'prime'.
You have no clue in Real Estate Biz

1 Like

Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by Rainmaker69(m): 8:56am On Sep 08, 2017
erico2k2:

You have no clue in Real Estate Biz

Why not respond to the points raised? You have no way of knowing how much i know or don't know. You have only succeeded in revealing how shallow or empty your thinking process is.
For your info, I own land in at least 2 of Nigeria's most viable states and a timeshare outside Nigeria. I'm also a professional who handles property transactions including management and recovery, with more than 15 years experience.
To summarise for you, I have the credentials and experience to speak on these issues.
Don't join the bandwagon, think for yourself my brother. I suspect you're an agent and this is a knee-jerk reaction, that's one of our problems in this country. Speak to the points please, your market go still move.

1 Like

Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by money121(m): 9:04am On Sep 08, 2017
Nice one

Stone coated Roofing Sheet Loading To Sangotedo Ajah lagos State and Akala Estate in Ibadan Oyo State,
Are you Done with your Roofing Woodwork? And you need Quality New Zealand and South Korea Roofing sheet?
Call/WhatsApp 08085310359
Customers satisfaction is our watch Word!

Classic Design ( Black)
Roman Design( Wine with Black patches)

Re: 4 Simple Ways To Invest In Real Estate In Nigeria by erico2k2(m): 9:22am On Sep 08, 2017
Rainmaker69:

Why not respond to the points raised? You have no way of knowing how much i know or don't know. You have only succeeded in revealing how shallow or empty your thinking process is.
For your info, I own land in at least 2 of Nigeria's most viable states and a timeshare outside Nigeria. I'm also a professional who handles property transactions including management and recovery, with more than 15 years experience.
To summarise for you, I have the credentials and experience to speak on these issues.
Don't join the bandwagon, think for yourself my brother. I suspect you're an agent and this is a knee-jerk reaction, that's one of our problems in this country. Speak to the points please, your market go still move.

Ok I will go fru your post here on Nairaland let me see your contribution to the property section . I will judge from therr yoyr expertise . I also recon you do so to mine .

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

For Your Exotic Interior And Exterior Architectural Designs / Cost Of Roofing A 3bedroom Bungallow? / Multi-level Building Owners To Submit Insurance Certificates In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.