Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,504 members, 7,812,553 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:18 PM

A Word To The Intellectual Property Thieves On The Lit Section - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Word To The Intellectual Property Thieves On The Lit Section (862 Views)

Help! A Big Nigerian Company Stole My Intellectual Property / Seeking Prolific Fiction Writers - N5/word To N10/word / The Intellectual Suicide On-going Among Professors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Word To The Intellectual Property Thieves On The Lit Section by Debbietiyan(f): 8:49am On Sep 07, 2017
So breeze entered my head yesterday and I decided to Google my name, to say I was shocked by the results is putting it lightly.

My stories popped up in my face from various websites I had no connection with. I was tagged as a guest writer on one in which some of my short stories were displayed.

One fool lifted my ongoing story (Poetic Heart)verbatim from the first post (the anti-spam ish.)

It brought back the phrase, ‘Monkey they work baboon they chop.’

These so called bloggers (you guys are even undeserving of the term 'so-called,' 'ctrl c & v misusers' more like) must really be proud of yourselves. In your minds, you must be working smart while we jobless writers should as well kill ourselves doing all the hard work.

It would have been a different case if permission had been taken but nooooo, y’all thought to yourselves, since they were stupid enough to post it online on NL, we might as well copy it and paste into our sites.

Well, guess what guys? You aren't going Bleep with me the way you do to other writers.

I'm getting the full copyright on my new story and only God will help you if so much as an excerpt is found on your site without my express permission.

The following are names of the rogue websites I scribbled down. Fellow Lit writers, you can go check yours too.

1. Coolval22.com
2. Headline.naijaray.com
3. Pickersalert.com.ng
4. Waploaded.com
5. Livelyinfo.com
6. Goat labs.us
7. Socialize.net

A quick advice to all you intellectual property thieves: Earning off someone’s sweat isn’t going to get you very far in life. There’s fuel in your moving vehicle now doesn’t mean the fuel won’t get finished.
Re: A Word To The Intellectual Property Thieves On The Lit Section by Kusibe77(m): 4:45am On Sep 08, 2017
saw it now, and thqseries, too
Re: A Word To The Intellectual Property Thieves On The Lit Section by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 7:10am On Sep 08, 2017
Thought they didn't take permission, I'm somewhat glad. At least, I have the credits. That's publicity. When finally I get the full story out, believe me, I'll outsmart them.
Re: A Word To The Intellectual Property Thieves On The Lit Section by Debbietiyan(f): 12:51pm On Sep 08, 2017
Kusibe77:
saw it now, and thqseries, too

You can imagine
Re: A Word To The Intellectual Property Thieves On The Lit Section by Debbietiyan(f): 12:55pm On Sep 08, 2017
OluwabuqqyYOLO:
Thought they didn't take permission, I'm somewhat glad. At least, I have the credits. That's publicity. When finally I get the full story out, believe me, I'll outsmart them.

My dear, there was no permission and that's what piqued me. A simple email would have done it. It's not okay to have just my name mentioned. It's totally wrong. You can't just lift my work without me giving you the go ahead. Certified book bloggers aren't even allowed to quote more than a specified number of words from a book even with permission from the Author.
Re: A Word To The Intellectual Property Thieves On The Lit Section by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 2:27pm On Sep 08, 2017
Debbietiyan:

My dear, there was no permission and that's what piqued me. A simple email would have done it. It's not okay to have just my name mentioned. It's totally wrong. You can't just lift my work without me giving you the go ahead. Certified book bloggers aren't even allowed to quote more than a specified number of words from a book even with permission from the Author.
Oh, now I understand you. You're right. But that's what you expect when you post on a public forum. You most probably think everyone's got an integrity, I suppose.
Re: A Word To The Intellectual Property Thieves On The Lit Section by Missnande(f): 3:00pm On Sep 08, 2017
Hmmm my dear at least your name was mentioned,anyways we've learnt our lesson.
Re: A Word To The Intellectual Property Thieves On The Lit Section by Debbietiyan(f): 3:49pm On Sep 08, 2017
OluwabuqqyYOLO:

Oh, now I understand you. You're right. But that's what you expect when you post on a public forum. You most probably think everyone's got an integrity, I suppose.

You see why we are the cause of our own problems? I used to feel Nigerian Authors were selfish with their works. You could read books of some Best selling foreign Authors such as J.K Rowling, Steven King, John Green etc. online for free, and you get to appreciate these people more.

But here? Give a free sample of your work and na you do yourself.

Missnande:
Hmmm my dear at least your name was mentioned,anyways we've learnt our lesson.

You make it sound like it's okay to be cheated. How would you feel if it was a printed copy of your work you saw in a market, would you still feel the same way? Because people do these things.

We've learned ours, but when would they learn theirs'?

1 Like

Re: A Word To The Intellectual Property Thieves On The Lit Section by Missnande(f): 5:15pm On Sep 08, 2017
Debbietiyan:

You make it sound like it's okay to be cheated. How would you feel if it was a printed copy of your work you saw in a market, would you still feel the same way? Because people do these things.

We've learned ours, but when would they learn theirs'?

Smiles,of course its not okay to be cheated. Same thing happened to me last year and the person didn't deem it fit to mention the original owner. You have credit for the story,that's an advantage for you. They know what they are doing,their actions are deliberate and like you said,it happens all the time online and offline. On my own I had a part to play(no copyright and...) so nothing could be done. I learnt from that and I know what to do now to prevent all that when next I upload a story. Expecting integrity from everyone should be a total no-no.
Re: A Word To The Intellectual Property Thieves On The Lit Section by Debbietiyan(f): 7:15pm On Sep 08, 2017
Missnande:

Smiles,of course its not okay to be cheated. Same thing happened to me last year and the person didn't deem it fit to mention the original owner. You have credit for the story,that's an advantage for you. They know what they are doing,their actions are deliberate and like you said,it happens all the time online and offline. On my own I had a part to play(no copyright and...) so nothing could be done. I learnt from that and I know what to do now to prevent all that when next I upload a story. Expecting integrity from everyone should be a total no-no.

Yeah, I do get your point. I guess I really should stop putting too much faith in people, and hoping they see things the way I do.
Re: A Word To The Intellectual Property Thieves On The Lit Section by Centino: 12:30pm On Sep 09, 2017
I'm with you Debbietiyan.

But err...I quoted your topic over here https://www.nairaland.com/4040010/nairaland-literature-forum-dumping-ground

The Op does not understand our pain I believe.
Re: A Word To The Intellectual Property Thieves On The Lit Section by Debbietiyan(f): 3:58pm On Sep 09, 2017
Centino:
I'm with you Debbietiyan.

But err...I quoted your topic over here https://www.nairaland.com/4040010/nairaland-literature-forum-dumping-ground

The Op does not understand our pain I believe.

Spread the word o jare. She obviously doesn't.

(1) (Reply)

Diaries / Yetunde's Curse / A True Love Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.