Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,051 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? (10647 Views)

15 Lies All Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children / Caught My Neighbour's Kids Having Sex...should I Tell Their Parents? / Things Men Find Irresistible In A Woman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by sade(f): 10:29pm On Jun 06, 2005
I think this is an important issue because I still wonder up till now why a husband will not let his wife know his salary. To be frank, women always find it easy to tell their husbands the amount they earn and majority of men will not. I'm afraid, is it that we are too demanding or what?

And the funniest thing is that on that day that you tie the knot the pastors used to tell them not to keep secrets. Or am I getting it wrong? Is keeping your salary secret from your wife not a secret?

1 Like

Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by jogego(m): 7:15am On Jun 07, 2005
sade:

I think this is an important issue because I still wonder up till now why a husband will not let his wife know his salary.   To be frank, women always find it easy to tell their husbands the amount they earn and majority of men will not.  I'm afraid, is it that we are too demanding or what?

And the funniest thing is that on that day that you tie the knot the pastors used to tell them not to keep secrets.  Or am I getting it wrong?  Is keeping your salary secret from your wife not a secret?

Emmmm, am sorry a beg to disagree with this one oh...maybe in the days past yes, but in modern days, when the home is more or less a partnership? In my own personal experience, i have a lot of married friends and the amount they earn is no secret from their wives.
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by diakim(m): 7:33pm On Jun 07, 2005
I think this only happens when the wife is not working or is a full-time house wife. If both are working it takes no effort for them to know each others salaries. How are they going to plan and invest for the future if the wife is not in the knowledge of what the husband is earning?

I think the primary reason for a man hiding his salary from his wife is to avoid his wife demanding for money from him untill everything is finished. Again, I think this only happens when the wife is not working and have to depend on the husband for every penny she spends.
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by Chigszy(f): 3:49pm On Jun 08, 2005
I think that is really silly. i mean a man not wanting to tell his friend his salary is understood but not telling your wife your slarary is just all WRONG! i mean how is she to trust you if you do not confinde in her? how are you all to make plans and budget and all that? i think husbands and wife and children should not hide anything from each other that is why you are all family in the first place. if you can not lets things out then who can you trust? personally that idea is just silly!!
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by sade(f): 5:07pm On Jun 08, 2005
I'm writing contrary to what Jogego said.You sounded as if not happening.I saw it happening thats why I threw the toipc out for you guys to answer..so lets be realistic o...
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by solo2(m): 6:06pm On Jun 08, 2005
some time it happens if the woman is the type that always try to get her pocket dry before he knew it. some women want to control the salary of their husband by telling their husband how to spend it.Though if the woman is the type that respect the husband and wishes the husband well, it is good the man let the wife know the salary for better plan of the family.
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by legry(m): 10:43am On Jun 09, 2005
If you dont trust her and whenever money issue enters she turns to a lion of course you wont tell her, if you have things to hide from your wife you wont tell, but if you are blessed with a wonderful wife you must tell her these are the rules
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by Allenpowered(m): 11:06am On Jun 09, 2005
I'm not married, but if she knows how much I earn ...so what? I'll give her dues...and since she's working( I probably won't marry a house wife), she should have some financial freedom and so should I.Telling her my salary does not take my freedom away!!!
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by Seun(m): 11:18am On Jun 09, 2005
Of course she'll know how much I make, but it will be too much for her to spend, or my name is not Seun grin

Ok, on a serious note, I really don't see how her knowing about the money will make any difference. I mean, I am respected as the natural head of the family, right? And in business, it is not all the money you have that you can spend. So there will be a budget and any money not allocated in the budget must remain in the bank, and that's that. No further discussion grin.
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by jogego(m): 6:54pm On Jun 10, 2005
sade:

I'm writing contrary to what Jogego said.You sounded as if not happening.I saw it happening thats why I threw the toipc out for you guys to answer..so lets be realistic o...

and I stand by what I said. For the older generations yes but for the younger ones, I dont agree. Have a lot of married friends and I know that the earning power is not a secret.
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by dominobaby(f): 4:09pm On Jun 12, 2005
men find it difficult especially if their wives are too demanding and they do not trust their wives (but why ), but it really isn't healthy in the family.
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by Greatpeter(m): 3:29pm On Jun 29, 2005
I will not hide my salary from my wife. I think what makes some men hide their salary from their wives is Ego. and thinking that once she knows disrespect will follow but it will guide the woman to know the financial strength of the family. I can't be earning 10,000 a month and my wife will ask me 30,000. where will I get it?

I for one will tell my wife my total take home and other allowances and benefits as they come. Infact we will have a joint account and we take decisions together when it comes to finances and other things.
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by hopy2005(f): 2:10pm On Jul 05, 2005
reasons why some men, I'm not saying all men ooooo, finds it dificult to tell their wivies there salary are;

1, it's co's some of them are gredy over money
2, they demand so higer, some can't even cook but if it comes to fashion they are ready.
3, some can not be trusted when it comes to that, beco's they lack mutual understanding.

4, They talk so much,

1 Like

Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by Motee(f): 6:06pm On Jul 05, 2005
Every man should tell their wife what they earn but don’t be surprise ladies; the man’s reason might just be that he just doesn't just want to tell you. As for me, if he does not want to tell me no problem as long as the family plans are still in order with respect to finances from both of us.
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by kimono(m): 6:01pm On Sep 29, 2005
Well, I'm a pratical example. I just dont want to and the reason is because she's still a student and on many occassion she wants to place her school in the leading role of my expenses. In a bid to manage and schedule my meagre salary very well, I do advise her to make copies of books, take a bus instead of taxi because we have finish my salary (meanwhile the thing still remain). I used it to spoil her really but things are not same again. Dont get me wrong please, I love her and always try to satisfy her wants.

I'll be glad to know if I'm OK?

Regards.

1 Like

Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by legs(f): 11:50am On Sep 30, 2005
there,s a simple answer to this question and its the same reason why men and women, generally find it hard to tell each other the truth.
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by eveseh(f): 8:07pm On Apr 28, 2006
that kinda man is fucking greedy
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by Oracle(m): 5:34pm On Jul 26, 2006
greedy? i won't want to consider it like that, the guy must have his reasons for doing that
do you know if he has a[b] FISHWIFE?[/b]
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by DapsonLaty(m): 6:55pm On Jul 26, 2006
Hello,
I am Dapson, why man find it difficult tell their wife about the salary is that most woman are to flashy as soon as they got the husband get the salary they will not have a plan for the money every thing will not go well,
Kindly GATT back to me through my messanger through
yodeled@yahoo.com
bye,
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by Omoboy(m): 1:18pm On Mar 30, 2007
I think what we need here is trust most women are very clever they will never let thier husband know they have savings not to talk of how much they earn and if they know the husbands pay they will plan his salary before he does my people i lie?
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by McDoe(m): 9:08am On Apr 17, 2007
There is nothing wrong in letting your better-half know what you earn. Infact, it facilitates planning for the home. The idea of shielding same from the wife is now very unpopular. My advice to men and women alike is to learn to cultivate trust and build on marital vows.
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by Nobody: 3:44pm On Apr 18, 2007
The man may be earning less and is a little embarrassed by the situation so he hides his salary.
If it truly a marriage,that should not matter to him,an understanding and loving wife will remain so no matter how much he brings home.
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by spoilt(f): 4:20pm On Apr 18, 2007
I dont understand why men do that. what is there to hide? if you dont trust your wife you shouldnt have married her!
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by BIKINI(f): 4:15pm On Apr 23, 2007
WHO EVEN CARES?
AS LONG AS WHEN I NEED MONEY I GET IT, I DON'T EVEN WANT TO KNOW .WILL THAT MAKE ME HEALTHIER? KNOWING MIGHT EVEN START MAKING ME SEE D NEED TO STEP DOWN ON SOME EXPENSES AND THE TIMING OF THIS STINGINESS MAY NOT ALWAYS BE COMFORTABLY WITH ME. I JUST DONT WANNA KNOW.
MAKE HIM DEY FOOT THE DAMNED BILLS JO!
I WON'T TELL U MINE ALSO.
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by fellybabe(f): 10:37pm On Apr 28, 2007
my husband told me his salary and when increased, he did told me.
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by Nobody: 12:07am On May 03, 2007
fellybabe:

my husband told me his salary and when increased, he did told me.

That's the way it should be.
A confident man who knows his wife loves and trusts him should have nothing to hide.
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by Rlst84sale(m): 4:04am On May 03, 2007
There is communication problem in that relationship
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by joz(f): 6:57am On May 03, 2007
maybe he has a selfish wife grin. that might request for too much money. or maybe he is just trying to prove that he is the man of the house and that his wife has no business with his income, which is not good. sad husbands and wives should be able to tell each other anything. maybe not all things but at least most things grin
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by nosilla(f): 11:01am On May 03, 2007
Maybe he is scared his wife is earning more than himself.

Some guys would be mortified if they thought or found out their wifes/partners earn more than them.

I think in this day and age it really is not such a big issue.
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by luvinhubby(m): 7:20pm On Mar 27, 2009
Simple, will lead to "upward adjustment" of pump price, sorry! pocket money !! grin grin
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by Badriyyah(f): 7:22pm On Mar 27, 2009
He definitely doesn't trust her, lol.
Re: Why do men find it difficult to tell their wives their salary? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Mar 27, 2009
2 main reasons on the man's part:

Greed and mistrust.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Best Age To Start Having Babies. / Disposable Or Washable Diaper Which Is Better / His, Hers Or Ours?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.