Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,150 members, 7,818,459 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:17 PM

Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? (5378 Views)

Spitting On Christians Is An Ancient Jewish Tradition (pics) / Hating Christians Is Fulfilment Of The Scripture / NL Christians , Is It Wrong For a Christian To EAT Sallah Meat ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Goshen360(m): 10:06pm On Sep 08, 2017
Everything about the law and the old testament is fulfilled in Christ. Christians are done away with the law of the old testament INCLUDING THE 10 COMMANDMENTS. The Spirit in you is now what guides and lead you through the complete word of God.

2 Likes

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by DoctorAlien(m): 10:07pm On Sep 08, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:
so tithing isn't compulsory, failure to tithe doesn't lead to hell right?

Tithing is compulsory. As I said, it can be seen as a direct consequence of Commandment no.1 which says "I Am the Lord thy GOD, which have brought thee out of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

No other gods. Not even money. Now, "to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin."(James 4:17). GOD claims the tithe as His. GOD specifically commanded tithing. For what purpose? To sustain His work on earth(the priesthood and temple services, in the case of ancient Israel). Is GOD's work still on earth? Yes(Matt. 28:18-20). Since we know that tithing was a command to support the work of GOD, which is a good thing. Now, if we refuse to support GOD's work with our tithes and offerings, knowing that it is a good thing to do, we disobey Him and disobedience to GOD is sin(James 4:17).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Nobody: 10:09pm On Sep 08, 2017
felixomor:

For those in Christ, everyday has become Sabbath Every minute is Sabbath....
They are to adorn themselves as the temple of God
so ten commandments is not applicable for all times.?
according to doctoralien ten commandment is the moral law.
r
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 10:10pm On Sep 08, 2017
Goshen360:
Everything about the law and the old testament is fulfilled in Christ. Christians are done away with the law of the old testament INCLUDING THE 10 COMMANDMENTS. The Spirit in you is now what guides and lead you through the complete word of God.

Now here comes the twist.. DoctorAlien, feliximor the party is right here.

So Goshen, no laws from the old testament is binding to anyone in this era?
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by DoctorAlien(m): 10:10pm On Sep 08, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

CC Doctor Alien what do you think?

LOL. I won't fall into that pit you dug for me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by DoctorAlien(m): 10:11pm On Sep 08, 2017
johnydon22:

Now here comes the twist.. Doctor Alien, felix Omor the party is right here.

LOL. You know I won't fall for this. smiley
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Sep 08, 2017
DoctorAlien:

Tithing is compulsory. As I said, it can be seen as a direct consequence of Commandment no.1 which says "I Am the Lord thy GOD, which have brought thee out of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

No other gods. Not even money. Now, "to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin."(James 4:17). GOD claims the tithe as His. GOD specifically commanded tithing. For what purpose? To sustain His work on earth(the priesthood and temple services, in the case of ancient Israel). Is GOD's work still on earth? Yes(Matt. 28:18-20). Since we know that tithing was a command to support the work of GOD, which is a good thing. Now, if we refuse to support GOD's work with our tithes and offerings, knowing that it is a good thing to do, we disobey Him and disobedience to GOD is sin(James 4:17).

That's you own personal interpretation of no other gods. that part was talking about worshipping other gods/idols in addition to Yahweh. it has nothing to do with tithing.
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 10:12pm On Sep 08, 2017
DoctorAlien:

One may try to key into your reasons but surely will also be healthy to point out that this commandment does not say "I am the lord thy God, give me 10% of your income"

a good argument of implication - I like that
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Goshen360(m): 10:15pm On Sep 08, 2017
johnydon22:

No! For the law of the Spirit, of Life in Christ Jesus has set us free from the law of sin and death! Any Christian can go back and forth trying to blend or make up or complete the new mixing with some part of the old. Such is not a student of the word!

1 Like

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Nobody: 10:15pm On Sep 08, 2017
DoctorAlien:

ok cheesy I have already seen the thread you created on this topic and how it went.

so the cherrypicking continues. which interpretations is holy spirit inspired?
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 10:15pm On Sep 08, 2017
DoctorAlien:

LOL. You know I won't fall for this. smiley

It is not about falling for this, that particular post affirms the argument i raise: Does the law apply or not?

If the Law does then all of them holds[which ever type they may be, all can be summarised as the law]

if the law has been done away with then they all must have been done away with, thats the point.

Goshen raised an argument different from yours, he nullified the totality of the old testament law, so this is not a trap for you but another example of Christian doctrinal and theological contradiction

1 Like

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 10:16pm On Sep 08, 2017
DoctorAlien:

i see no pit
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by DoctorAlien(m): 10:20pm On Sep 08, 2017
johnydon22:

One may try to key into your reasons but surely will also be healthy to point out that this commandment does not say "I am the lord thy God, give me 10% of your income"

Just like you may never see any line in the Bible that says "thou shalt not smoke" or "thou shalt not cheat in the exam hall". You will also not see "thou shalt not lust after a lady" in the 10 commandments. How do we know these things are bad? We allow the law of GOD speak to us in depth. Expounding on the 7th commandments, for example, reveals to us that fornication begins in the heart. Expounding on the 6th and 8th commandments reveal to us that smoking and exam malpractice.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Topgainer: 10:21pm On Sep 08, 2017
Goshen360:
The Truth and I align with this. The new covenant for Christians [paraphrased] says no more will somebody say to his neighbour know the Lord, thy God; for they shall know me from the least of them to the eldest as the Spirit of the Lord will teach them the ways of the Lord God.
I was in a service in one Pentecostal Church years ago when a Pastor on instruction from the Headquarters asked all the first child to come out and redeem themselves with certain amounts for them to be free of troubles. He hinged his sermon on Jewish laws and many of the first child came out to fulfill the law. And raise fund for the HQ. Ignorance is a disease and the ignorant is a slave to the smart men.
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by DoctorAlien(m): 10:23pm On Sep 08, 2017
johnydon22:

It is not about falling for this, that particular post affirms the argument i raise: Does the law apply or not?

If the Law does then all of them holds[which ever type they may be, all can be summarised as the law]

if the law has been done away with then they all must have been done away with, thats the point.

Goshen raised an argument different from yours, he nullified the totality of the old testament law, so this is not a trap for you but another example of Christian doctrinal and theological contradiction

If your purpose of opening this thread is simply to show us that different denominations within Christianity believe different things, I must point out that this is quite a very useless thread.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by dalaman: 10:25pm On Sep 08, 2017
johnydon22:

As I aforementioned, everything is subject to personal interpretation and opinion.
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 10:26pm On Sep 08, 2017
DoctorAlien:

Just like you may never see any line in the Bible that says "thou shalt not smoke" or "thou shalt not cheat in the exam hall". You will also not see "thou shalt not lust after a lady" in the 10 commandments. How do we know these things are bad? We allow the law of GOD speak to us in depth. Expounding on the 7th commandments, for example, reveals to us that fornication begins in the heart. Expounding on the 6th and 8th commandments reveal to us that smoking and exam malpractice.

This invokes the subjectivity of christian morality since such exemplifications leads to different conclusions of implication
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 10:27pm On Sep 08, 2017
DoctorAlien:

If your purpose of opening this thread is simply to show us that different denominations within Christianity believe different things, I must point out that this is quite a very useless thread.

Read that post again as many as times as it takes for you to get it.

Does the law totally apply or not?

Simple premise

4 Likes

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Wilgrea7(m): 10:28pm On Sep 08, 2017
during my days as a liberal .. i went with the saying that the law was fulfilled in a new testament law

Matthew 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 22:38 This is the first and great commandment. 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

but then.. Christians will still want to run to the old testament to support things like tithes and first fruits.. its like trying to eat your cake and have it.. the law was for the jews.. if someone accepts part of the old testament law... he/she should accept all.. and i mean ALL

2 Likes

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 10:28pm On Sep 08, 2017
dalaman:

As I aforementioned, everything is subject to personal interpretation and opinion.

I do well agree, and such doctrinal issues cannot be discussed without these subjective interpretations coming into focus
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 10:29pm On Sep 08, 2017
Wilgrea7:
during my days as a liberal .. i went with the saying that the law was fulfilled in a new testament law

Matthew 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 22:38 This is the first and great commandment. 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

but then.. Christians will still want to run to the old testament to support things like tithes and first fruits.. its like trying to eat your cake and have it.. the law was for the jews.. if someone accepts part of the old testament law... he/she should accept all.. and i mean ALL

Now here is someone who gets the point

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by felixomor: 10:35pm On Sep 08, 2017
Martinez19:
where is your scriptural backup? Romans 3:31

Galatians 5:14 - For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by DoctorAlien(m): 10:36pm On Sep 08, 2017
johnydon22:

Read that post again as many as times as it takes for you to get it.

Does the law totally apply or not?

Simple premise

I have sufficiently addressed all the points you raised in this thread. I have also given you valuable education on the "Law" in the Bible. I hope you begin to ask questions now like an enlightened man.

Do other Christians have a view different from mine? Yes, but I don't care, as far as this thread is concerned. I have not come to this thread to debate other Christians, but to educate you on the truth. And that I have done sufficiently. For the purpose of the argument BETWEEN YOU AND ME, you take what I taught you as the case.

I say again, if you opened this thread just to show us that all the Christians in the world don't believe the same thing and don't say the same thing, then this is a very useless thread. If you opened the thread to lure Christians into fighting each other, then this is a failed thread.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by felixomor: 10:37pm On Sep 08, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

so ten commandments is not applicable for all times.?

according to doctoralien ten commandment is the moral law.

r

Pls which part of my comment says ten commandments doesnt apply for all times?

Or you just want to rush out what is in your own mind?
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Nobody: 10:49pm On Sep 08, 2017
felixomor:

Pls which part of my comment says ten commandments doesnt apply for all times?

Or you just want to rush out what is in your own mind?

I'm sure you saw the the question mark at the end of the sentence.

the answer you gave contradicts the commandment.

same cherrypicking.

keeping the day God rested holy is no longer important for modern Christians for you
while it is for some other Christians okay.
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by felixomor: 10:57pm On Sep 08, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

I'm sure you saw the the question mark at the end of the sentence.

the answer you gave contradicts the commandment.

same cherrypicking.

keeping the day God rested holy is no longer important for modern Christians for you
while it is for some other Christians okay.
At Bolded
Pls where did I say its "no longer important"?
Simple question
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by 701ecilana: 11:01pm On Sep 08, 2017
johnydon22:

You cannot be so sure
Really? You know me that little? Well, i know you that much.
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Sep 08, 2017
felixomor:

At Bolded
Pls where did I say its "no longer important"?
Simple question

that's what you implied by your answer na which you didn't back with the scriptures.

anyway you guys never agree on anything
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by ichuka(m): 11:27pm On Sep 08, 2017
Goshen360:
Longtime bro
Cheers
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by felixomor: 11:34pm On Sep 08, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

that's what you implied by your answer na which you didn't back with the scriptures.

anyway you guys never agree on anything

Pls Stop saying false stuff. Thats not what i implied
Just say that is what you wanted to bring out of my comment so that u can use it to argue with others.

And that's why u cant pinpoint it in my comment.
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Nobody: 11:37pm On Sep 08, 2017
felixomor:

Pls Stop saying false stuff. Thats not what i implied
Just say that is what you wanted to bring out of my comment so that u can use it to argue with others.

And that's why u cant pinpoint it in my comment.

k. then I didn't understand the comment. no time
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by bennyann: 6:38am On Sep 09, 2017
Somebody can never use this section to have a quiet time grin n'a wa o

All of you are just saying law law law, you didn't even bother to find out which law.

Romans 8:2
For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

I hope I've been able to not confuse you grin

This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
Hebrews 10:16 KJV
http://bible.com/1/heb.10.16.KJV

For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one anotherwink
Romans 2:14‭-‬15 KJV
http://bible.com/1/rom.2.14-15.KJV

Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God? For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written. For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision. Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision? And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law? For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.
Romans 2:23‭-‬29 KJV
http://bible.com/1/rom.2.23-29.KJV

Hmmm! The righteousness of the law. The law of the Spirit.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself. That's the summary of the Commandments. Who have the right to condemn me after keeping the righteousness of the law? undecided

I'm the only one that can condemn myself and not anyone who is carnal minded.

In summary, the keeping of the law is between God and I. It shouldn't call for argument. My focus is on pleasing God and going by His direction. I am not to live a life displeasing to Him.

When I obey the leading of the Spirit, then I am acting out the righteousness of God. Just as I have made up my mind to obey, He gives me the power to act out His righteousness.

But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
Romans 3:21‭-‬22 KJV
http://bible.com/1/rom.3.21-22.KJV

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness; Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
Romans 1:16‭-‬19 KJV
http://bible.com/1/rom.1.16-19.KJV

And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
Philippians 3:9 KJV
http://bible.com/1/php.3.9.KJV

Let's be righteousness conscious and Jesus conscious.

I leave you all with this:

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Philippians 4:8 KJV
http://bible.com/1/php.4.8.KJV

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

MUST READ: Doctor Narrates His Lovely And Scary Near-death Experience / The God Delusion / T.b. Joshua In Cali Colombia For Crusade(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.