Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,180 members, 7,818,566 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:56 PM

Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? (5380 Views)

Spitting On Christians Is An Ancient Jewish Tradition (pics) / Hating Christians Is Fulfilment Of The Scripture / NL Christians , Is It Wrong For a Christian To EAT Sallah Meat ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by rhektor(m): 6:57am On Sep 09, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

That's you own personal interpretation of no other gods. that part was talking about worshipping other gods/idols in addition to Yahweh. it has nothing to do with tithing.

Did Jesus condemn Tithing? No, in the first place tithing was not part of the 10 commandments it predates the 10 commandments. If it should be done away with then Jesus would have condemn it.

2 Likes

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by rhektor(m): 6:59am On Sep 09, 2017
johnydon22:

It is not about falling for this, that particular post affirms the argument i raise: Does the law apply or not?

If the Law does then all of them holds[which ever type they may be, all can be summarised as the law]

if the law has been done away with then they all must have been done away with, thats the point.

Goshen raised an argument different from yours, he nullified the totality of the old testament law, so this is not a trap for you but another example of Christian doctrinal and theological contradiction

Christ is himself the fulfillment of the law. Either the law hold or not is not your headache

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by rhektor(m): 7:06am On Sep 09, 2017
Wilgrea7:
during my days as a liberal .. i went with the saying that the law was fulfilled in a new testament law

Matthew 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 22:38 This is the first and great commandment. 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

but then.. Christians will still want to run to the old testament to support things like tithes and first fruits.. its like trying to eat your cake and have it.. the law was for the jews.. if someone accepts part of the old testament law... he/she should accept all.. and i mean ALL

Tithes is not just an old testament thing, if it were to be done away with Jesus himself would have condemn it, but he did not. Read Mathew 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
What does this imply?

2 Likes

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by rhektor(m): 7:07am On Sep 09, 2017
johnydon22:

P
Now here is someone who gets the point

Because he has written what you want

2 Likes

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by bennyann: 7:30am On Sep 09, 2017
rhektor:

Did Jesus condemn Tithing? No, in the first place tithing was not part of the 10 commandments it predates the 10 commandments. If it should be done away with then Jesus would have condemn it.

They're wishing Jesus condemns it. See what money can do? wink

How can a child of God leave the store house of God empty? Whether God commands it or not, it should be common sense, something natural for God's children.

How can you get incomes often and you decide not to glorify God with just a sample of it? It's a shame Christians themselves argue over this. Maybe I should always wait for my parents to cry out to me to send them gifts in cash and in kind before I know it is my responsibility.

When it is said the law is written in our hearts, we're pretending not to understand because the public doesn't know what goes on in our hearts. God have mercy on us.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by bennyann: 7:35am On Sep 09, 2017
rhektor:

Christ is himself the fulfillment of the law. Either the law hold or not is not your headache
cool
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Nobody: 7:41am On Sep 09, 2017
rhektor:

it's not a prerequisite for salvation. therefore not compulsory.

and Abraham did not give his income he gave spoils of war.
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by rhektor(m): 7:49am On Sep 09, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

it's not a prerequisite for salvation. therefore not compulsory.

and Abraham did not give his income he gave spoils of war.

Madam be sure next time before writing anything here, the other time you accused Christian of cherrypiking now you are choosy in this comment so who is cherrypiking? Anyway let me tell you that Christianity is not just about salvation as one off thing there are other things that follow it up. Where will the work of faith be? If being saved is it. You claim Abraham did not give Tithe of his income but spoil of war really? So the spoil of war is outcome right? I'm really sorry for you. Because you just exposed your ignorance

2 Likes

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Nobody: 7:55am On Sep 09, 2017
rhektor:

Madam be sure next time before writing anything here, the other time you accused Christian of cherrypiking now you are choosy in this comment so who is cherrypiking? Anyway let me tell you that Christianity is not just about salvation as one off thing there are other things that follow it up. Where will the work of faith be? If being saved is it. You claim Abraham did not give Tithe of his income but spoil of war really? So the spoil of war is outcome right? I'm really sorry for you. Because you just exposed your ignorance

ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Wilgrea7(m): 8:36am On Sep 09, 2017
rhektor:

Tithes is not just an old testament thing, if it were to be done away with Jesus himself would have condemn it, but he did not. Read Mathew 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
What does this imply?

the verse i quoted did not say “on these two do the old testament law and prophets hang" ... it said “on these two do all the laws and prophet hang".. the new testament is pro-jesus era.. old testament is pre-jesus .. the jews follow the old testament.. even during the time of Christ.. their scripture was the old testament.. so its not a matter of whether its in the old or new testament.. Jesus showed a good example.. did he pay tithe? if you choose to follow the law.. follow it to the last

2 Likes

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by rhektor(m): 8:59am On Sep 09, 2017
Wilgrea7:

the verse i quoted did not say “on these two do the old testament law and prophets hang" ... it said “on these two do all the laws and prophet hang".. the new testament is pro-jesus era.. old testament is pre-jesus .. the jews follow the old testament.. even during the time of Christ.. their scripture was the old testament.. so its not a matter of whether its in the old or new testament.. Jesus showed a good example.. did he pay tithe? if you choose to follow the law.. follow it to the last

Your comment has not addressed anything maybe you should explain yourself because I'm lost
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Wilgrea7(m): 9:22am On Sep 09, 2017
rhektor:

Your comment has not addressed anything maybe you should explain yourself because I'm lost

ok... I'll make it simple.. Jesus was a Jew.. he lived with Jews.. Jews are expected to follow the law.. I'm sure you agree with me on that.. the scribes and Pharisees were jews too.. also meant to radically follow the law.. do you agree? in the verse i quoted, Jesus gave 2 commandments he said that encompasses the entire law and the prophets.. do you agree? if yes.. then why go back to the previous laws? if no.. then follow the previous laws to the latter

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Goshen360(m): 2:59pm On Sep 09, 2017
ichuka:

Longtime bro
Cheers

How you doing my brother? Sure everything okay. I'm fine and being here just reading most times behind the scene.

Do know many of our Christian brothers and sisters have invested so much into lies and traditions of men by or through their church leaders to the point when truth (of the new covenant ) hit hem they become uncomfortable because they don't like to be wrong.
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by GoodMuyis(m): 3:11pm On Sep 09, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:

remember the Sabbath day and keep it holy.

how do you keep it holy?

Sabbath Days is an Holydays or Holidays

But Do you think its a sin if go to Bank just to ATM money for you on Sabbath day?
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by An2elect2(f): 3:39pm On Sep 09, 2017
You are the ignorant one here. Christians are not under the law and therefore are not required to tithe but give as the Spirit leads their hearts. This has been the status quo from the beginning of Christianity which kick started after Christ's death. The onus lies on you pro-tithers to prove otherwise and not bark at everyone that disagrees with you
rhektor:

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by An2elect2(f): 3:47pm On Sep 09, 2017
Proudgorgeousga:
cc. an2elect the only true Christian on nairaland your attention is needed. grin
This is funny?
This is a theist-theist topic not water and oil mixing. So bye!
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by edicied: 3:53pm On Sep 09, 2017
Na bendan select anyone you like do the one you no like leave am grin
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by edicied: 3:54pm On Sep 09, 2017
An2elect2:
This is funny?
This is a theist-theist topic not water and oil mixing. So bye!
You be Jehovah witness?
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Sep 09, 2017
GoodMuyis:

Sabbath Days is an Holydays or Holidays

But Do you think its a sin if go to Bank just to ATM money for you on Sabbath day?

This is not the answer to my question.
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by rhektor(m): 4:24pm On Sep 09, 2017
An2elect2:
You are the ignorant one here. Christians are not under the law and therefore are not required to tithe but give as the Spirit leads their hearts. This has been the status quo from the beginning of Christianity which kick started after Christ's death. The onus lies on you pro-tithers to prove otherwise and not bark at everyone that disagrees with you

To give as the spirit lead? So Jesus was wrong to permit tithing right? Keep it up

1 Like

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by An2elect2(f): 4:48pm On Sep 09, 2017
rhektor:

To give as the spirit lead? So Jesus was wrong to permit tithing right? Keep it up
You can do better right?
Just be honest and look at the bible independent of your interpretation, you will see a lot of sense in it. Why? because i don't believe you find the bible sensible enough if its still subject to your interpretation.

I assume this is where according to you Jesus granted permission to tithe? Matthew 23:23 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and
Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a
tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cumin.
But you have neglected the more
important matters of the law--justice,
mercy and faithfulness. You should have
practiced the latter, without neglecting the
former
Notice: This tenth-of proceeds was a lawful thing and not even among the weightier ones. But it was a lawful requirement.

So they had to tithe and keep the law because Jesus was not crucified yet hence the law was still around. In Colossians 2:14 Christ had taken the requirements of the law away, nailing it to his cross.

Believe me the Word of God does not need our feelings or opinions or sentiments. It is sufficient enough and capable to interpret itself.

2 Likes

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by ichuka(m): 5:28pm On Sep 09, 2017
Goshen360:

How you doing my brother? Sure everything okay. I'm fine and being here just reading most times behind the scene.

Do know many of our Christian brothers and sisters have invested so much into lies and traditions of men by or through their church leaders to the point when truth (of the new covenant ) hit hem they become uncomfortable because they don't like to be wrong.
My bro,it's a very unfortunate thing.
Most of them believe there pastors more than Gods Word.
Good to hear you are fine.

1 Like

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Goshen360(m): 9:47pm On Sep 09, 2017
ichuka:

My bro,it's a very unfortunate thing.
Most of them believe there pastors more than Gods Word.
Good to hear you are fine.

You're a blessed bro!

1 Like

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by rhektor(m): 11:18am On Sep 10, 2017
An2elect2:
You can do better right?
Just be honest and look at the bible independent of your interpretation, you will see a lot of sense in it. Why? because i don't believe you find the bible sensible enough if its still subject to your interpretation.

I assume this is where according to you Jesus granted permission to tithe? Matthew 23:23 "Woe to you, teachers of the law and
Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a
tenth of your spices--mint, dill and cumin.
But you have neglected the more
important matters of the law--justice,
mercy and faithfulness. You should have
practiced the latter, without neglecting the
former
Notice: This tenth-of proceeds was a lawful thing and not even among the weightier ones. But it was a lawful requirement.

So they had to tithe and keep the law because Jesus was not crucified yet hence the law was still around. In Colossians 2:14 Christ had taken the requirements of the law away, nailing it to his cross.

Believe me the Word of God does not need our feelings or opinions or sentiments. It is sufficient enough and capable to interpret itself.

He was still alive when he made this statement
Mathew 5:33-37
33 “Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn.’ 34 But I say to you, Do not take an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. 36 And do not take an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. 37 Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil.

So we should continue to swear now because everything has been nailed to the cross right?

Stop confusing yourself please

2 Likes

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by sochey(f): 11:21am On Sep 10, 2017
[color=#006600][/color] I don't understand the churches of nowadays. Everyone with their own different styles. Sometimes I wonder if church is meant for fashion or to serve and worship the lord. But so many people has turned it into a fashion show.
I was coming to church today and saw two women going to church as well. The other one was wearing a very high heel while the other was wearing something comfortable. Am sure they knew pretty well that the road was not that good, yet the other person wore that kind of shoe. Now reaching where the road was galloped and sloppy, the one with the high heel.. Started shouting; 'Oh my god, I can't work on that side. Oh shit and I didn't bring slippers.
The other woman was telling her to take it easy that she won't fall. I turned back and I didn't know whether to get angry or to laugh. I just turned back and noticed she wasn't even that fine.
I'm a girl quite alright but I prefer to wear what I can walk on and be comfortable with. Most people just have to understand somethings and stop the forming rubbish. If you want to go to church you go with your heart and not to pack make up full your face that it's even hard for you to laugh well. I'm not criticizing anyone but saying the truth
Christianity is not fashion but an experience. You learn and your life becomes different, not to complicate issues.
Some people will even act all weirdly excited inside the church but outside they are never of a good and cheerful spirit.
This is the reason why the young ones are misled and confused. Elders should watch it and not set a life of misery for the younger generations.

1 Like

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by An2elect2(f): 2:41pm On Sep 10, 2017
You are wilfully being cunning like every other nominal Christian here. Why? because if you were honest you would clarify my post and not further twist the argument.

For eg. If I assert that something is so and I support it with the scriptures. I don't expect you to jump to another scripture that seems to disagree with me but to first and importantly explain that those scriptures are not saying what I'm saying. There you have it! Isn't that the way I replied you? You said Jesus permitted tithing for Christians and I quoted the only passage that seems to suggest that and first clarified that it wasn't saying what you are reading into it before anything else.

If you can't prove Christians are still to tithe or under the law like someone who respects God then I'm done discussing.

rhektor:

He was still alive when he made this statement
Mathew 5:33-37
33 “Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn.’ 34 But I say to you, Do not take an oath at all, either by heaven, for it is the throne of God, 35 or by the earth, for it is his footstool, or by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great King. 36 And do not take an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. 37 Let what you say be simply ‘Yes’ or ‘No’; anything more than this comes from evil.

So we should continue to swear now because everything has been nailed to the cross right?

Stop confusing yourself please
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by rhektor(m): 3:02pm On Sep 10, 2017
An2elect2:
You are wilfully being cunning like every other nominal Christian here. Why? because if you were honest you would clarify my post and not further twist the argument.

For eg. If I assert that something is so and I support it with the scriptures. I don't expect you to jump to another scripture that seems to disagree with me but to first and importantly explain that those scriptures are not saying what I'm saying. There you have it! Isn't that the way I replied you? You said Jesus permitted tithing for Christians and I quoted the only passage that seems to suggest that and first clarified that it wasn't saying what you are reading into it before anything else.

If you can't prove Christians are still to tithe or under the law like someone who respects God then I'm done discussing.

Isn't it just validating what I wrote earlier? You claim that since it was said before crucifixion of the Lord then Christians are not expected to partake in it so I gave you another passage that has been there before crucifixion so how do I now become the dishonest one here?

2 Likes

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by blueAgent(m): 5:35pm On Sep 11, 2017
johnydon22:

I am more concerned with everyone coming to a reasonable conclusion, are we to do away with the old testament or not, why do we still need to quote them in defence on our stance of moral issues. If they are no longer valid then they become less an argument, if they are still valid then why are we not keeping all.

The law is still 100% valid christains are decieved by Satan to believe it is not valid.

www.nairaland.com/3615455/does-new-covenant-abolish-ten/10
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by blueAgent(m): 5:39pm On Sep 11, 2017
hopefulLandlord:
why are our holy spirit filled Christians avoiding this thread?

perhaps they're finding it hard making up their mind?

If i were you i will be busy trying to prove Evolillusion and BigBangs as facts rather than spend your time fighting christainity.
You have lots of Homework and you have not yet started.

1 Like

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Sep 11, 2017
blueAgent:

The law is still 100% valid christains are decieved by Satan to believe it is not valid.

do you keep the Sabbath and how?
Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by hopefulLandlord: 6:32pm On Sep 11, 2017
blueAgent:

If i were you i will be busy trying to prove Evolillusion and BigBangs as facts rather than spend your time fighting christainity.
You have lots of Homework and you have not yet started.
last I checked, big bang was first proposed by a theist, a priest to be precise

as for evolution, many Christians in first world countries have accepted it

your post is wrong, empty, vapid and colourless

try better

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make Up Your Minds Christians, Is The Law Done Or Not? by johnydon22(m): 6:33pm On Sep 11, 2017
blueAgent:

Interesting

Just to be clear in the proceeding questions ..what Laws exactly?

Just the 10commandments or every other laws moses gave?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Meet God / 12 Kinds Of Pastors / The Change We Need 2011 The Youth Of The Nation: Our Future And Our Hope

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.