Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,129 members, 7,957,240 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 09:39 AM

Coolant Reservoir Overflows - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Coolant Reservoir Overflows (3432 Views)

My Radiator Reservoir Gets Empty Quickly / Use coolant.... Not water / Don't Top-up Your Radiator With Water. Use Engine Coolant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coolant Reservoir Overflows by Wristler: 12:22pm On Sep 18, 2017
honmusa:

If you are in Lagos ,contact me @my signature I have some couple of tested and confirmed radiator cap for nissan I can pass across to you and after using it and u still have the same issue ,then you need to check other areas.
More so ,from experience I have seen alot of headgasket issue so subtle ( minute coolant leak) that it will require dedicated equipment to detect them .
I appreciate your kind gesture but I'm not in Lagos presently. I pray the cap solves the issue
Re: Coolant Reservoir Overflows by Wristler: 3:20pm On Sep 18, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

remove the radiator cap, clean the base and take a clear pic.

Re: Coolant Reservoir Overflows by Wristler: 3:21pm On Sep 18, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

remove the radiator cap, clean the base and take a clear pic.

Re: Coolant Reservoir Overflows by TRYGO(m): 6:47pm On Sep 18, 2017
@gbolly707:

"I drove the car with the thermostat stuck open for a long time, i noticed the issue after the thermostat replacement.
i will change the radiator cap during the week and give the house a feedback."

A careful analysis of the statement above, would point me to having a second look at the installed thermostat like someone said here.

***Check it if it really is opening as it should.

***Is there enough airflow through the radiator system, and the condenser fins.
If both fins are clogged, you've ha e same issues.

***Have the radiator removed, and internally steam washed.
An internally clogged radiator, has a low cooling efficiency

***Take a look at the overflow reservoir tank piping that connects to the radiator system neck. If it is clogged or dirty, same thing happens.

PS: In my view, I don't think the problem is a top cylinder gasket issue.

Reason being, "you drove that car for a year, and nothing of such was experienced".

Re: Coolant Reservoir Overflows by timifakay(m): 9:57pm On Sep 18, 2017
gbolly707:
Good day.

Car is a a 2000 toyota Camry, I drove with the thermostat stuck open for more than a year. I changed the thermostat less than a month ago and I bled the system and filled with total coolant. I noticed that the coolant overflows from the coolant reservoir, I saw the mark on the container. Should I be worried , could be a case of system overfill or a more serious underlying issue.

Thank you

Have you replaced the radiator cap?
Re: Coolant Reservoir Overflows by erico2k2(m): 10:31pm On Sep 18, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Cannot be installed the other way round

grin grin grin grin
Re: Coolant Reservoir Overflows by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:43pm On Sep 18, 2017
stop replacing caps. The caps work like pressure release valves, when preassure exceeds te rating on cap, it flows to the expansion tank, it flows back after radiator is cool.

I initailly said take a pic of the base, when I said base I mean the point where the rubber on the pressure cap meets the radiator. I have seen 2 cases this year where the base was coroded (1mz-fe) and another where the base was uneven (kia rio 2013) check the base and get back to us.

If you have confirmed all that, then it is quite clear your temp is averaging above 100 deg centigrade.
Re: Coolant Reservoir Overflows by gbolly707(m): 1:59am On Sep 19, 2017
timifakay:

Have you replaced the radiator cap?

No i have not, i have not had time to do it. I will change it before the end of the week.

Thank you

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reverse gear issue When Engine Is Cold / 3sfe / Toyota Camry 2005

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.