Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,327 members, 7,815,653 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:55 PM

About Yam . . . - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / About Yam . . . (11642 Views)

Would You Eat This Strange Looking Yam(photos) / How To Make Yam Balls / Pictures Of A Yam That Resembles A Folded Fist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

About Yam . . . by JeSoul(f): 9:09pm On Feb 25, 2010
Okay this may be a stoopid question but . . .

Is there any way you can tell by the[b] physical appearance [/b] of a yam whether it is the bitter kind or not?  Yams are very expensive here and I am tired of throwing my money away at the african store buying it only to cook it (boil/fry) and be rewarded with a very bitter taste. To the point I've stopped buying yams now  sad.
Re: About Yam . . . by JeSoul(f): 6:01pm On Mar 01, 2010
wow, so nobody knows jack about yams here? lol
Re: About Yam . . . by hotmama(f): 12:39am On Mar 02, 2010
@ poster
you can always add sugar to the yam while cooking it
Re: About Yam . . . by JeSoul(f): 4:43pm On Mar 02, 2010
^ yeah I know about adding to sugar to yam while boiling it. But if you've tasted the sometimes extreme bitterness of some of the yams here, you'll know what unless you dump a whole jar of sugar into it, it won't make a difference. Thanks though.
Re: About Yam . . . by Nobody: 8:18pm On Mar 02, 2010
I think the skin needs to be a bit dry. Any yam that looks to new is probably bitter. Really trying to explain but don't know how.
Re: About Yam . . . by spikedcylinder: 11:27am On Mar 03, 2010
Do you have the option of buying the ones that have already been cut? So at least you can see whats going on inside?
Re: About Yam . . . by JeSoul(f): 4:15pm On Mar 03, 2010
aysometin:

I think the skin needs to be a bit dry. Any yam that looks to new is probably bitter. Really trying to explain but don't know how.
I think I get what you mean, that is if it looks smooth like these?

But I've cooked yam many many times that looked "new" and tasted just fine undecided

spikedcylinder:

Do you have the option of buying the ones that have already been cut? So at least you can see whats going on inside?
Sometimes there are some tubers that are cut in half (I reckon cos they're too big?). But then the white part has already turned from white to brownish. Is there a way you can tell from that?
Re: About Yam . . . by Hauwa1: 5:37pm On Mar 03, 2010
the yams in the pix is alright. so if you come across yams like that, it is ok. as for brownish color, i think it is the weather here.
what i do is, i buy one, peel and cut it roundish not too small, not too big wash and pack into ziploc then store in freezer
Re: About Yam . . . by madlady(f): 6:39pm On Mar 03, 2010
@Poster, do you ever eat Yellow yam, that's very sweet.
Puna yam can be wonderful and swells so much that a small slice goes a long way. smiley

Re: About Yam . . . by Nneomaj(f): 5:27pm On Mar 28, 2010
Try to open d yam @point of purchase,if its pure white,it'll be sweet.

(1) (Reply)

How Do You Make Your Own Cookies? / What Did You Eat Today? / Yogurt Fans Come On In!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.