Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,092 members, 7,814,805 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:13 PM

Why Do Christians Fast? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christians Fast? (6793 Views)

Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? / What Do Christians Think Of Homo Neanderthals? / Why Do Christians Fear Atheists So Much ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by KanuIsCursed: 11:15am On Sep 10, 2017
Op,because Christianity is a junk religion brought by European to enslave us
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by gentlegenius(m): 11:23am On Sep 10, 2017
joceey:
Why do xtian fast?
Are you a Christian in practical not just professing one?if truly you are a genuine Christian ,you don't need to ask why Christian fast the Bible is your guide even Daniel, Elijah and so on in the Bible fasted including David....anybody or pastor that tell you not to fast is an enemy of your soul quote me well...except if you are having health issues like ulcer and so on there are some health issue that even need fasting...even animal knows the benefit of fasting,they abstain from food n water when they are sick....Pls read your Bible it's your best guide. Jesus said in the book of Mark 9:29 and I quote..This kind can come forth by nothing but prayer and fasting
Is this the only scripture you can quote? Why not tell where and how those men you mentioned above fasted before God answers their prayers.
David only fasted when he prayed God to keep his son alive. The son still died anyways. But there were times David received favours from God without fasting. Though I'm not condemning fasting, but based on the way it is done this days, should we follow suit? Based on how God wanted us to fast as stated in Isaiah 58 (pls take time to read), should we continue the practice of staying hungry in the name of fasting?
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by Nobody: 11:26am On Sep 10, 2017
Very beautiful topic.

Drop my opinion soon

Both the Old and New Testaments teach the value of fasting, which is abstaining from food or drink in order to focus on prayer and seeking God's will. There are many examples in the Bible, we can know that God grants supernatural revelation and wisdom through this Fasting. Bible tells us that fasting will help us grow a more intimate relationship with Christ and will open our eyes to what He wants to teach us
Few examples

Acts 14:23 -''Paul and Barnabas appointed elders for them in each church and, with prayer and fasting, committed them to the Lord, in whom they had put their trust.''

Esther 4:16 - “Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my attendants will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish.”

Exodus 34:28 ''Moses was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights without eating bread or drinking water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant—the Ten Commandments.''

Joel 2:12 - “Even now,” declares the LORD, “return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning.”

2 Samuel 12:15-17 - After Nathan had gone home, the LORD struck the child that Uriah’s wife had borne to David, and he became ill. 16 David pleaded with God for the child. He fasted and spent the nights lying in sackcloth on the ground. 17 The elders of his household stood beside him to get him up from the ground, but he refused, and he would not eat any food with them

Luke 4:2-4 - where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and at the end of them he was hungry. 3 The devil said to him, “If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread.” 4 Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone.’”

Matthew 6:16-18 - “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Isaiah 58:3-7 - 3 ‘Why have we fasted,’ they say, ‘and you have not seen it? Why have we humbled ourselves, and you have not noticed?’ “Yet on the day of your fasting, you do as you please and exploit all your workers. 4 Your fasting ends in quarreling and strife, and in striking each other with wicked fists. You cannot fast as you do today and expect your voice to be heard on high. 5 Is this the kind of fast I have chosen, only a day for people to humble themselves? Is it only for bowing one’s head like a reed and for lying in sackcloth and ashes? Is that what you call a fast, a day acceptable to the LORD? 6 “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? 7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter— when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?

Ezra 8:21-23 - 21 There, by the Ahava Canal, I proclaimed a fast, so that we might humble ourselves before our God and ask him for a safe journey for us and our children, with all our possessions. 22 I was ashamed to ask the king for soldiers and horsemen to protect us from enemies on the road, because we had told the king, “The gracious hand of our God is on everyone who looks to him, but his great anger is against all who forsake him.” 23 So we fasted and petitioned our God about this, and he answered our prayer.
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by Nobody: 11:38am On Sep 10, 2017
gentlegenius:
The religious practice of staying hungry for some time in order to pray to God is very common among Muslims and for some reasons I can't ask why they do it. But as Christians, should we continue with such practice?
If prayer is the only thing we do during fasting, then why staying hungry to pray when we know that Gods only answers the prayers of a good man through FAITH? Elijah, Daniel, Paul, Silas and many other great men in the Bible didn't go hungry but they prayed and miracles happen.
The Bible hasn't commanded us anywhere to go hungry and pray before God can hear and answer us.
Fasting was a common practice among the ancient Jews but those who were close to Jesus(his disciples) never fasted. People once ask Jesus why his disciples don't fast and he replied "how can they fast when the bridegroom is still with them...?"
Today, we Christians believe that God is still with us through his spirit, so why should we fast?
God is merciful but Sometimes, we make it look like he is a hard hearted God who won't hear our prayers unless we stay hungry. I know some churches and Pastors who now gives fasting as a punishment to their members when they go wrong. I also heard how a Pastor died while attempting to fast for 40 days like Jesus did. With the way he died, do you think Jesus will congratulate him on the day of rapture for attempting to equal his record? Must we fast just because Jesus fasted?
yes. fasting is necessary. here's why. the disciples once tried to cast out a demon without success but Jesus did and then he said this type only go out by fasting and prayer.

interestingly you used an illustration which clearly shows u interpreted the Bible in a very wrong way. when asked why his disciples don't fast, Jesus reply was that they don't need to fast while the bridegroom is still with them. you have said this means that since God is always with us then as Christ implied then we don't need to fast. the word 'still' is very important there. it implies that a time will come when he will no longer be with them. if Jesus never had to leave leave He won't have used the word 'still'. he meant being with them in the physical which you have interpreted as a spiritual thing.

and finally that demon Jesus casted out...ask yourself if such demons have ceased to exist. Christ referred referred it as 'this kind' meaning there are more of them. those beings are still in operation today my good friend. so there is the need to fast in battling against these kind.

my own testimony as regards fasting are personal and they are my own experiences. I can't can't such to convince convince u on the efficacy and power power fasting but yet they the most potent evidence I have asides asides scripture. so my prayer for you is that you experience the power in fasting someday. shalom

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by sugarwiz(f): 11:39am On Sep 10, 2017
gentlegenius:

My dear you are wrong. Tell me about anyone in the Bible that gain God favour through fasting.
But here are 3 people in the Bible that gained God's favour without fasting...
Mary (Luke 1:30).
Joseph (Acts 7:9-10)
David (Acts 7:45-46).
And Jesus himself who is the greatest did fast
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by sugarwiz(f): 11:42am On Sep 10, 2017
gentlegenius:

Why don't you back this up with the scriptures?
Moses received so many instructions from God at so many instances. He didn't have to fast at any instance before hearing from God. If you think he did, give me the Bible portion.
The problem I have here is that Many people came here to argue based on what they think and based on what they see as the general norm in our society but not based on the word of God.
Fasting is not by force. You seem to have made up your mind about the fasting ish already. If like fast if u like don't it's all about conviction.
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by gentlegenius(m): 11:46am On Sep 10, 2017
opius:

YOUR IGNORANCE IS OVERWHELMING , STOP PREACHING WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW
You that is wise and knows it all why not preach what you know to help us?
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by StackNerd: 11:46am On Sep 10, 2017
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will heal their land. 2nd Chronicles 7vs 14

Note the word HUMBLE

What's the purpose of fasting

Before fasting choose your objectives in fasting. Here are some Biblical objectives:-
First:- To humble yourself before God. David said "I humbled my soul with fasting."
God will not humble us as He has told us to humble ourselves. If you fast with the right motive,
and in faith, you can humble yourself, and when you do this God will lift you up.
Second:- Another motive is to come closer to God. James 4:8 says:- "Come near to God and He will
come near to you."
Third:- To understand God's word. When you fast God will give you greater and deeper
understanding of His word.
Fourth:- To find God's will and to receive direction in your life.
Fifth:- To seek healing or deliverance from evil spirits. Jesus said about one kind of evil spirit:- "This
kind can come out only come out by prayer and fasting." (Mk 9:29 - see footnote.) Before Jesus
Himself entered on His ministry of healing and deliverance, He fasted and prayed for forty days.
Sixth:- When we need God's intervention in some particular crisis, or when some tremendous
problem has arisen, which we can't handle by ordinary means.
Seventh:- To intercede and pray on behalf of others. e.g. An unsaved relative. Are you willing to do
something that will cost you on behalf of your loved one?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by gabe: 11:47am On Sep 10, 2017
studies have shown fasting is used by religious bodies/cults to induce obedience in followers by increasing their openness to suggestive behaviour as prescribed by such bodies. thus, if u want faithful followership that 'll last generations, institute long periods of fasting as an important part of your belief system.
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by gentlegenius(m): 11:55am On Sep 10, 2017
Batam:

You are an ignoramus christian who is looking for the lazy ones like you who is afraid of fasting.
Isaiah 58: 1-6 explained what fasting can do. You inner may not be strengthened if you cannot fast Isaiah 40:31 and you may not grow spiritually.
Any pastor that is telling not to fast is an enemy of your spiritual growth
Isaiah 58 doesn't tell us the benefits of fasting. It simply differentiate between the way people fast today(starving yourself) and the way God wants us to fast. Isaiah 40:31 didn't say anything concerning fasting. So stop deceiving yourself you perfect Christian!
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by gentlegenius(m): 12:03pm On Sep 10, 2017
StackNerd:
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will heal their land. 2nd Chronicles 7vs 14

Note the word HUMBLE

What's the purpose of fasting

Before fasting choose your objectives in fasting. Here are some Biblical objectives:-
First:- To humble yourself before God. David said "I humbled my soul with fasting."
God will not humble us as He has told us to humble ourselves. If you fast with the right motive,
and in faith, you can humble yourself, and when you do this God will lift you up.
Second:- Another motive is to come closer to God. James 4:8 says:- "Come near to God and He will
come near to you."
Third:- To understand God's word. When you fast God will give you greater and deeper
understanding of His word.
Fourth:- To find God's will and to receive direction in your life.
Fifth:- To seek healing or deliverance from evil spirits. Jesus said about one kind of evil spirit:- "This
kind can come out only come out by prayer and fasting." (Mk 9:29 - see footnote.) Before Jesus
Himself entered on His ministry of healing and deliverance, He fasted and prayed for forty days.
Sixth:- When we need God's intervention in some particular crisis, or when some tremendous
problem has arisen, which we can't handle by ordinary means.
Seventh:- To intercede and pray on behalf of others. e.g. An unsaved relative. Are you willing to do
something that will cost you on behalf of your loved one?

I agree with everything you wrote. But all this things comes when you embark on your personal(Secret) fasting as taught by Jesus in Matthew 6.
My question was about the general, open fasting that Christian groups engaged in. Why do Christians embark on general, open fasting?
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by comrChris(m): 12:05pm On Sep 10, 2017
gentlegenius:

Moses received so many instructions from God at so many instances. He didn't have to fast at any instance before hearing from God. If you think he did, give me the Bible portion.
The problem I have here is that Many people came here to argue based on what they think and based on what they see as the general norm in our society but not based on the word of God.
you are rather the one being ignorant of the scripture n putting up basaless points. Why will you say Moses never fasted, what was he doing in the burning bush and what was he doing in the mountain for 40 days n night..

Jesus told his disciples that some things could not be done except by fasting n prayer. Who told you the apostles never fasted? Study your bible well, the apostles after Jesus left them gave themselves continually to prayer, believe you me many of those days they prayed were without food
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by gentlegenius(m): 12:06pm On Sep 10, 2017
sugarwiz:

And Jesus himself who is the greatest did fast
Must we do everything Jesus did? If we must, then are todays Christians observing fasting the way Jesus taught us?
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by hakinz87: 12:07pm On Sep 10, 2017
I don't even think this lazy self acclaimed Christian can even pray for hours, he would tell you to show where such is written in the Bible.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by joceey(m): 12:09pm On Sep 10, 2017
gentlegenius:

Is this the only scripture you can quote? Why not tell where and how those men you mentioned above fasted before God answers their prayers.
David only fasted when he prayed God to keep his son alive. The son still died anyways. But there were times David received favours from God without fasting. Though I'm not condemning fasting, but based on the way it is done this days, should we follow suit? Based on how God wanted us to fast as stated in Isaiah 58 (pls take time to read), should we continue the practice of staying hungry in the name of fasting?

Examples of Fasting in the Bible In times of war: The Benjamites fasted and defeated the other Israelites. Judges 20:26 Repentance: The King of Nineveh ordered the whole city to fast and repent. Consequently, they were forgiven of their sin. Jonah 3:5 Darius, The king of Persia, fasted and prayed all night after placing Daniel in the lions' den. Daniel 6:18 When facing danger: Ezra fasted as he prayed for wisdom and protection when he prepared the people to return to Jerusalem from Babylon. Ezra 8:21, 23 Courage and Wisdom Esther and the Jews of Shushan fasted when faced with their destruction planned by Haman. Esther 4:3,16; 9:31 In times of grief A seven-day fast was held when the bones of Saul and his sons were buried. 1 Samuel 31:13; 1 Chronicles 10:12 In times of distress David fasted after hearing that Saul and Jonathan were dead. 2 Samuel 1:12 Ultimate denial of the flesh Jesus fasted 40 days and 40 nights before being tempted by Satan. Matthew 4:2 Spiritual Power Jesus said this kind can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting. Mark 9:29 Wisdom Paul and Barnabas prayed and fasted at the appointment of elders for the churches. Acts 14:23 Set aside self for holiness Paul suggested that husbands and wives abstain from sexual relations to give themselves to fasting and prayer. 1 Corinthians 7:Answered prayer Cornelius fasted four days, after which time an angel appeared to him. Consequently, he and his family received the gospel and were baptized. Acts 10:30-31 Mourning During his time of mourning, Daniel fasted three weeks, after which time he received a vision. Daniel 10:1-3 Special revelation Moses fasted for 40 days and received the law. Exodus 34:27-28 Spiritual Recuperation Elijah fasted 40 days after killing prophets of Baal. 1 Kings 19:1-9

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by gentlegenius(m): 12:11pm On Sep 10, 2017
comrChris:
you are rather the one being ignorant of the scripture n putting up basaless points. Why will you say Moses never fasted, what was he doing in the burning bush and what was he doing in the mountain for 40 days n night..

Jesus told his disciples that some things could not be done except by fasting n prayer. Who told you the apostles never fasted? Study your bible well, the apostles after Jesus left them gave themselves continually to prayer, believe you me many of those days they prayed were without food
OK... Since it is you that said it, I'll believe you that the apostles were prayimg without Food.
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by hakinz87: 12:12pm On Sep 10, 2017
gentlegenius:

Must we do everything Jesus did? If we must, then are todays Christians observing fasting the way Jesus taught us?

Your reply has even say more about you. If you don't practice all what Jesus thought, practise all what Satan teaches you.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by Nobody: 12:19pm On Sep 10, 2017
gentlegenius:

I have never said that people didn't fast in the Bible. They fasted for different reasons. But there are others who just prayed without fasting yet still achieve great results. Faith is what makes things work not just prayers and fasting.
Fasting doesn't bring wisdom as you said above. Solomon didn't fast to receive wisdom. He only prayed and God gave him options to choose, he chose wisdom.
Now what human beings viewed as fasting is completely different from the True fasting in God's perspective. Todays Christians believe wrongly that when you fast, God will hear you prayers because you stayed hungry. But Isaiah 58: 3-10 says "‘Why have we fasted,’ they say, ‘and you have not seen it? Why have we humbled ourselves, and you have not noticed?’ “Yet on the day of your fasting, you do as you please and exploit all your workers.
Your fasting ends in quarreling and strife, and in striking each other with wicked fists. You cannot fast as you do today and expect your voice to be heard on high.
Is this the kind of fast I have chosen, only a day for people to humble themselves? Is it only for bowing one’s head like a reed and for lying in sackcloth and ashes? Is that what you call a fast, a day acceptable to the Lord?
“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?
Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter— when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
Then your light will break forth like the dawn, and your healing will quickly appear; then your righteousness will go before you, and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.
Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I. “If you do away with the yoke of oppression, with the pointing finger and malicious talk,
and if you spend yourselves on behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed, then your light will rise in the darkness, and your night will become like the noonday".
Fasting kills the flesh. It built the spirit man and so we should do it from time to time. It refreshes the spirit. Not in all cases we fast and pray same with just prayers alone. The bottom line is that it kills the flesh and brings the spirit man alive.
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by gentlegenius(m): 12:21pm On Sep 10, 2017
hakinz87:

Your reply has even say more about you. If you don't practice all what Jesus thought, practise all what Satan teaches you.
Don't quote me wrong. I said must we do everything Jesus did?
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by gentlegenius(m): 12:36pm On Sep 10, 2017
hakinz87:

I don't even think this lazy self acclaimed Christian can even pray for hours, he would tell you to show where such is written in the Bible.
Even though you are deviating from the topic, but I'll like to ask you a question: When you pray for hours, what will you be telling God? Is it different things? Is it not the same thing that you'll keep repeating over and over just to prolong the prayer? Is your God so deaf that you need to repeat things over and over before he hears you? Is your God so ignorant that you need to explain all your problems in details before he understand?
For the sake of not derailing this thread, I'll spare you all I had to say about this. But bring this up again another day or in another thread and mention me, then I'll give Bible passages about prayers and proof to you that people like you who 'prays for hours' are actually the lazy Christians.
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by comrChris(m): 12:54pm On Sep 10, 2017
gentlegenius:

OK... Since it is you that said it, I'll believe you that the apostles were prayimg without Food.
your response clearly says the kinda believer you are. Of all l wrote you chose just this part to see, maybe you were expecting me to qoute those scriptures where the apostles gave themselves continually to prayer with fasting boldly written some where in it.. My dear stop being a baby christian and grow up if at all you are a christian..the word of God is a progressive revelation, if you want to know more about any passage in the bible you put it up to prayer.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by gentlegenius(m): 12:59pm On Sep 10, 2017
chuks013:
To gain God's favour

FTC AGAIN...NOW OFFICIALLY I'M TIRED OF DZ FTC...4TH 1 IN JUST THESE WEEK AND LIKE FIFTY SUMTYN OVERALL......FOR THOSE AIMING FOR FTC....TRY HARDER..
How much seun dey pay to those who are FTC?
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by Olabenjamen22(m): 1:02pm On Sep 10, 2017
gentlegenius:

Don't quote me wrong. I said must we do everything Jesus did?
are you even a Christian?
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by gentlegenius(m): 1:08pm On Sep 10, 2017
comrChris:
your response clearly says the kinda believer you are. Of all l wrote you chose just this part to see, maybe you were expecting me to qoute those scriptures where the apostles gave themselves continually to prayer with fasting boldly written some where in it.. My dear stop being a baby christian and grow up if at all you are a christian..the word of God is a progressive revelation, if you want to know more about any passage in the bible you put it up to prayer.
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by Olabenjamen22(m): 1:12pm On Sep 10, 2017
gentlegenius:

Even though you are deviating from the topic, but I'll like to ask you a question: When you pray for hours, what will you be telling God? Is it different things? Is it not the same thing that you'll keep repeating over and over just to prolong the prayer? Is your God so deaf that you need to repeat things over and over before he hears you? Is your God so ignorant that you need to explain all your problems in details before he understand?
For the sake of not derailing this thread, I'll spare you all I had to say about this. But bring this up again another day or in another thread and mention me, then I'll give Bible passages about prayers and proof to you that people like you who 'prays for hours' are actually the lazy Christians.
Lol, so that's what prayer mean to you? Well i will huge my fellow brethren to leave this atheist that is claiming Christian alone. Lol they gave you alot of answer to your question"why did Christian fast" but after you lose you change it to "why did Christian use to declare an open fasting" actually you need to change your nickname because it the opposite of you. Peace
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by gentlegenius(m): 1:12pm On Sep 10, 2017
comrChris:
Chairman... Religion is a personal thing. It is what you believe that matters to you. What I believe matters to me. Since you don't even know me, or know what I believe in, you can never tell if I'm a baby Christian or a matured one. All these things we post and argue here does very little to affect our overall belief or change who we are. Gaining Salvation is the only thing that will show how successful we are in our religious endeavours. Issues like fasting doesn't have much to do with our Salvation. So know things that matters most and hold on to them while I also hold on to mine. On the day of a powerful wind, the anus of a fowl shall be revealed.
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by bishopjoe02(m): 1:16pm On Sep 10, 2017
gentlegenius:

Jesus practiced fasting when He was tempted by Satan ( Matt. 4:1-11 ; Mark 1:12-13 ; Luke 4:1-4 ). During these tumultuous 40 days of loneliness, satanic attack, and the presence of wild beasts, “He ate nothing

The Apostles and the early church fasted,

Acts 13:2

2 While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.”

Acts 14:23

23 Paul and Barnabas appointed elders for them in each church and, with prayer and fasting, committed them to the Lord, in whom they had put their trust.

This Jesus himself talking here:

Matthew 6:16-18

16 “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

I am not even sure you are a Christian or you rarely read your Bible, stop typing rubbish go and read your Bible
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by gentlegenius(m): 1:23pm On Sep 10, 2017
Olabenjamen22:

are you even a Christian?
It depends on how you define Christian.
Jesus was a God while we are mere mortals. So what is wrong in asking if we must do all what Jesus did? If you fast because he also fast, then what about the other things he did like transfiguration? Why don't you transfigure yourself because Jesus also did?
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by bloodofthelamb(m): 1:31pm On Sep 10, 2017
THE SCRIPTURE SAYS WE ARE COMPLETE IN CHRIST JESUS...WHICH OTHER SPIRITUAL LEVEL ARE YOU LOOKING FOR THROUGH YOUR EFFORT..EH

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by bishopjoe02(m): 1:34pm On Sep 10, 2017
gentlegenius:

oga you no nothing about Christianity, you think prayers is just going to God with a To-do list, prayer entails praises, worship, thanks, confession, the you can now make your request know, for those that speak in tongues, that is still part of prayer, how many minutes do you think all these will take.

I doubt if u are even a Christian
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by Olabenjamen22(m): 1:35pm On Sep 10, 2017
gentlegenius:

It depends on how you define Christian.
Jesus was a God while we are mere mortals. So what is wrong in asking if we must do all what Jesus did? If you fast because he also fast, then what about the other things he did like transfiguration? Why don't you transfigure yourself because Jesus also did?
Lol, well as a disciple what you need to know is the reason why he fasted, and one the you should understand and a Christian is becoming like Jesus Christ which is the main aim of Christianity. So you are not fasting because he fasted but you are fasting because you want to have a real intimacy with the Father the way Jesus Christ did. Peace
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by bishopjoe02(m): 1:38pm On Sep 10, 2017
gentlegenius:

oga you no nothing about Christianity, you think prayers is just going to God with a To-do list, prayer entails praises, worship, thanks, confession, the you can now make your request know, for those that speak in tongues, that is still part of prayer, how many minutes do you think all these will take.

I doubt if u are even a Christian

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

6 Horrific Facts About Hell That Your Pastor Never Told You / Six Important Ways To Obtain God's Love / THREAD: HIGHER EVERYDAY- DAILY GUIDE For YOUTHS With W.F.KUMUYI (deeper Life)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.