Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,304 members, 7,819,032 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

Why Do Christians Fast? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Christians Fast? (6816 Views)

Why Do Christians Underestimate The Power Of Prayer? / What Do Christians Think Of Homo Neanderthals? / Why Do Christians Fear Atheists So Much ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by gentlegenius(m): 1:39pm On Sep 10, 2017
Olabenjamen22:

Lol, so that's what prayer mean to you? Well i will huge my fellow brethren to leave this atheist that is claiming Christian alone. Lol they gave you alot of answer to your question"why did Christian fast" but after you lose you change it to "why did Christian use to declare an open fasting" actually you need to change your nickname because it the opposite of you. Peace
Sometimes, even a fool can be considered wise if he keeps his mouth shut.
I only asked a question, I wasn't declaring a contest so how dare you talk about loosing? If I loose then who wins? Since you are wise, WHY didn't you make your own wise contribution to the topic instead of attacking the Op. I created this thread because there's something I was looking for and to some extent, I've gotten it. So if you can't comment on other peoples thread, keep quiet. If you can't keep quiet, create your own thread and say whatever you like.
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by gentlegenius(m): 1:49pm On Sep 10, 2017
bishopjoe02:

oga you no nothing about Christianity, you think prayers is just going to God with a To-do list, prayer entails praises, worship, thanks, confession, the you can now make your request know, for those that speak in tongues, that is still part of prayer, how many minutes do you think all these will take.

I doubt if u are even a Christian
You can doubt my religious status till tomorrow, who cares?
Whether I am a Christian or not will depend on how you define 'Christian'. Though I agree with you that prayer involves all what you mentioned but When he talked about praying for hours, he didn't mean to include all that.
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by Olabenjamen22(m): 1:55pm On Sep 10, 2017
gentlegenius:

Sometimes, even a fool can be considered wise if he keeps his mouth shut.
I only asked a question, I wasn't declaring a contest so how dare you talk about loosing? If I loose then who wins? Since you are wise, WHY didn't you make your own wise contribution to the topic instead of attacking the Op. I created this thread because there's something I was looking for and to some extent, I've gotten it. So if you can't comment on other peoples thread, keep quiet. If you can't keep quiet, create your own thread and say whatever you like.
Lol, we are not fighting here bro.
1. You said you ask a question, fine people answer your question but you are going against there answer as if you have a specific answer to your question and all other answer is wrong, and after you hand have been cut short you change your question by refraining your statement which are contradicting to each other.
2. This is a social platform and today is Sunday. You should have make your trend base on another motive instead of you focusing on religion issue.
3. I told you to change your nick name because all the genius have come across always ask question so that they can learn, not to start an argument.
Peace.
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by gentlegenius(m): 2:13pm On Sep 10, 2017
bishopjoe02:

Jesus practiced fasting when He was tempted by Satan ( Matt. 4:1-11 ; Mark 1:12-13 ; Luke 4:1-4 ). During these tumultuous 40 days of loneliness, satanic attack, and the presence of wild beasts, “He ate nothing

The Apostles and the early church fasted,

Acts 13:2

2 While they were worshiping the Lord and fasting, the Holy Spirit said, “Set apart for me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them.”

Acts 14:23

23 Paul and Barnabas appointed elders for them in each church and, with prayer and fasting, committed them to the Lord, in whom they had put their trust.

This Jesus himself talking here:

Matthew 6:16-18

16 “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

I am not even sure you are a Christian or you rarely read your Bible, stop typing rubbish go and read your Bible
When I asked "Why do Christians fast", I was asking about the public gathering of Christian group in a church to pray on an empty stomach which is contrary to what Jesus taught us in Matthew 6. But from the responses I'm getting so far, it's obvious that no one understand my context. So there's no need to continue this argument.
I'll start reading my Bible as you said but make sure you also read yours.
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by zyzxx(m): 2:18pm On Sep 10, 2017
gentlegenius:
The religious practice of staying hungry for some time in order to pray to God is very common among Muslims and for some reasons I can't ask why they do it. But as Christians, should we continue with such practice?
If prayer is the only thing we do during fasting, then why staying hungry to pray when we know that Gods only answers the prayers of a good man through FAITH? Elijah, Daniel, Paul, Silas and many other great men in the Bible didn't go hungry but they prayed and miracles happen.
The Bible hasn't commanded us anywhere to go hungry and pray before God can hear and answer us.
Fasting was a common practice among the ancient Jews but those who were close to Jesus(his disciples) never fasted. People once ask Jesus why his disciples don't fast and he replied "how can they fast when the bridegroom is still with them...?"
Today, we Christians believe that God is still with us through his spirit, so why should we fast?
God is merciful but Sometimes, we make it look like he is a hard hearted God who won't hear our prayers unless we stay hungry. I know some churches and Pastors who now gives fasting as a punishment to their members when they go wrong. I also heard how a Pastor died while attempting to fast for 40 days like Jesus did. With the way he died, do you think Jesus will congratulate him on the day of rapture for attempting to equal his record? Must we fast just because Jesus fasted?
A christain who avoid fasting is blind to spiritual activities which is dangerous
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by gentlegenius(m): 2:27pm On Sep 10, 2017
Olabenjamen22:

Lol, we are not fighting here bro.
1. You said you ask a question, fine people answer your question but you are going against there answer as if you have a specific answer to your question and all other answer is wrong, and after you hand have been cut short you change your question by refraining your statement which are contradicting to each other.
2. This is a social platform and today is Sunday. You should have make your trend base on another motive instead of you focusing on religion issue.
3. I told you to change your nick name because all the genius have come across always ask question so that they can learn, not to start an argument.
Peace.
To be very frank with you, a lot of people here including you are misrepresenting my question. When I asked "Why do Christians fast", I was asking about the public gathering of Christian groups in a church to pray on an empty stomach which is contrary to what Jesus taught us in Matthew6. But people keep telling me how Jesus and other people fasted in the Bible as if I was condemning fasting. From the responses I'm getting so far, it's obvious that many don't understand my context. So there's no need to continue this argument. I think I should tell you that I loose and you win, if that will satisfy you and bring an end to this fruitless argument.
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by Niflheim(m): 3:04pm On Sep 10, 2017
I used to be a christian!!!

I remember one day when I went to the MFM headquarters by UNILAG second gate, and I heard an MFM Bible teacher ask his students the following question!!!

MFM TEACHER: Why do we fast?

STUDENTS: Because of.........../Because of................../Because of....................

MFM TEACHER: You are all wrong!!! WE FAST TO REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF SHIT IN THE TOILET!!!
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by chuks013: 3:17pm On Sep 10, 2017
gentlegenius:

How much seun dey pay to those who are FTC?

I HOPE NO B MI U DEY ASK OO..CUS I DON ASK DAT SAME QUESTION TIRE....
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by sugarwiz(f): 3:36pm On Sep 10, 2017
gentlegenius:

Must we do everything Jesus did? If we must, then are todays Christians observing fasting the way Jesus taught us?
Dude u have issues. That's a stupid question to ask as a Christian. Yes u must do everything Jesus did if you are truly a follower of Christ. Christian means christlike
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Sep 10, 2017
gentlegenius:

Isaiah 58 doesn't tell us the benefits of fasting. It simply differentiate between the way people fast today(starving yourself) and the way God wants us to fast. Isaiah 40:31 didn't say anything concerning fasting. So stop deceiving yourself you perfect Christian!
Read Isaiah 58 with proper interpretation you will see the benefits.
I believe you are one of those half baked seminarian who reads the bible like a novel without spiritual indepth.
Have you read about how the disciples were unable to heal the boy a woman brought to them until Jesus told them that the deliverance require fasting.
Meanwhile, I'm not Mr Perfect as you tag me
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by edemsimeon: 4:11pm On Sep 10, 2017
WHO SAID THAT YOU FAST? FASTING IS FOR THOSE WHO KNOW ITS BENEFITS.
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by gentlegenius(m): 4:30pm On Sep 10, 2017
Batam:

Read Isaiah 58 with proper interpretation you will see the benefits.
I believe you are one of those half baked seminarian who reads the bible like a novel without spiritual indepth.
Have you read about how the disciples were unable to heal the boy a woman brought to them until Jesus told them that the deliverance require fasting.
Meanwhile, I'm not Mr Perfect as you tag me
Oh... I thought you were the Perfect one since you tag me the ignoramus one. I know there are benefits of fasting in that passage but why are you talking about the benefits when you know that the kind of fasting God wants in that chapter is not what people are doing today? Do you think the benefits of fasting stated in that chapter is for those who observe the fasting of praying on empty stomach? If so, then you are the one that needs to read that portion again with spiritual indepth as a full baked seminarian that you are.
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by gentlegenius(m): 4:36pm On Sep 10, 2017
sugarwiz:

Dude u have issues. That's a stupid question to ask as a Christian. Yes u must do everything Jesus did if you are truly a follower of Christ. Christian means christlike
Thanks for this advice, that I should do everything Jesus did as a true follower. So what about the transfiguration? Should I also do that? What about raising a dead man from the grave? Have you tried doing that since you were born?
Pls advice me more because I'm beginning to love your sound advice.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Sep 10, 2017
gentlegenius:

Oh... I thought you were the Perfect one since you tag me the ignoramus one. I know there are benefits of fasting in that passage but why are you talking about the benefits when you know that the kind of fasting God wants in that chapter is not what people are doing today? Do you think the benefits of fasting stated in that chapter is for those who observe the fasting of praying on empty stomach? If so, then you are the one that needs to read that portion again with spiritual indepth as a full baked seminarian that you are.
Define your kinds of fasting
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by gentlegenius(m): 6:19pm On Sep 10, 2017
Batam:

Define your kinds of fasting
“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter— when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? (Isaiah 58:6-7).
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by charlsecy(m): 7:48pm On Sep 10, 2017
Ololanla:
As a Christian you can't grow without fasting.
I think you can.
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by winternationals(m): 11:03am On Sep 11, 2017
Merryglad:
Jesus taught his disciples that some situations wont change except through prayers and fasting. Fasting is starving your flesh and feeding your spirit, it may not be food, it may be staying away from things you like.

mark 9 vs 29 and Mathew 17 vs 21
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by olowobaba10: 11:04am On Sep 11, 2017
AND DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT ?
opius:

YOUR IGNORANCE IS OVERWHELMING , STOP PREACHING WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by GodsMopol: 11:42am On Sep 11, 2017
Isaiah 58
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by Merryglad(f): 12:55pm On Sep 11, 2017
winternationals:

mark 9 vs 29 and Mathew 17 vs 21
thanks you sir, i forgot where i saw it but i knew i had studied that scripture
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by sugarwiz(f): 2:07pm On Sep 11, 2017
gentlegenius:

Thanks for this advice, that I should do everything Jesus did as a true follower. So what about the transfiguration? Should I also do that? What about raising a dead man from the grave? Have you tried doing that since you were born?
Pls advice me more because I'm beginning to love your sound advice.
Not everyone has the healing gift. You can never perform miracles sef not with ur believes. Why don't u better still act like d devil.
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by Nobody: 6:09pm On Sep 11, 2017
gentlegenius:

“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter— when you see the naked, to clothe them, and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood? (Isaiah 58:6-7).
The fasting you are referring to is the worldly ones like Lent or Ramadan which people participate to show off but if you look closely @ that verse 6 you will understand the need for you to engage in fasting & prayers.
Re: Why Do Christians Fast? by Kobojunkie: 8:40pm On Apr 17
gentlegenius:
The religious practice of staying hungry for some time in order to pray to God is very common among Muslims and for some reasons I can't ask why they do it. But as Christians, should we continue with such practice?
If prayer is the only thing we do during fasting, then why staying hungry to pray when we know that Gods only answers the prayers of a good man through FAITH? Elijah, Daniel, Paul, Silas and many other great men in the Bible didn't go hungry but they prayed and miracles happen.
The Bible hasn't commanded us anywhere to go hungry and pray before God can hear and answer us.
Fasting was a common practice among the ancient Jews but those who were close to Jesus(his disciples) never fasted. People once ask Jesus why his disciples don't fast and he replied "how can they fast when the bridegroom is still with them...?"
Today, we Christians believe that God is still with us through his spirit, so why should we fast?
God is merciful but Sometimes, we make it look like he is a hard hearted God who won't hear our prayers unless we stay hungry. I know some churches and Pastors who now gives fasting as a punishment to their members when they go wrong. I also heard how a Pastor died while attempting to fast for 40 days like Jesus did. With the way he died, do you think Jesus will congratulate him on the day of rapture for attempting to equal his record? Must we fast just because Jesus fasted?
The only reason you Christians fast— starve yourselves of food — pretending you do so in the name of a God who made clear almost 2700 years ago that He does not need your starvation-diets is that you have all sold your abilities to reason to the religion men and women whom you have installed over yourselves as gods, authors, and finishers of your faiths. These rules to starve yourselves of food using the name of God come directly from these men to you and you bow to them in obedience — blindness— of the Kind that Jesus Christ made clear is against Him. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dedicate Your Soul To Father Satan Here / If Christ Sits On The Right-hand Side Of God, Who Sits On His Left-hand Side? / Is Being A Morally Good Person Enough For God?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.