Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,030 members, 7,814,511 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:14 PM

Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland (1370 Views)

Putin's Holy War Against Insanity. / Do You Support The Coming American War Against The Syria Assad Regime / Gaddafi's youngest son and 3 grandchildren killed in NATO air strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by FBS: 7:26am On Feb 26, 2010
Libya's Gaddafi urges 'holy war' against Switzerland

Libya's Muammar Gaddafi has called for a jihad, or holy war, against Switzerland, as an ongoing diplomatic row between the two nations heats up.

He criticised a recent Swiss vote against the building of minarets and said Muslims must boycott the country.

There have been tensions between the nations since 2008, when one of Mr Gaddafi's sons was arrested in Geneva, accused of assaulting two servants.

A Swiss foreign ministry spokesman declined to comment on the jihad call.

The Libyan leader made his comments while speaking at a meeting to mark the birthday of the Prophet Muhammad.

"Let us wage jihad against Switzerland, Zionism and foreign aggression," he said.

"Any Muslim in any part of the world who works with Switzerland is an apostate, is against Muhammad, God and the Koran."

In a referendum last November, 57.5% of Swiss voters approved a constitutional ban on the building of minarets. An appeal against the ban has been submitted to the European Court of Human Rights.

Charges dropped

Earlier this month, Libya stopped issuing visas to citizens from many European nations, prompting condemnation from the European Commission.

Hannibal Gaddafi's arrest in 2008 sparked the diplomatic spat
Libya's move came after Switzerland allegedly blacklisted 188 high-ranking Libyans, denying them entry permits. The Swiss ban is said to include Mr Gaddafi and his family.

The row began after the arrest of Mr Gaddafi's son Hannibal and his wife, Aline Skaf, in Geneva in July 2008.

They were accused of assaulting two servants while staying at a luxury hotel in the Swiss city, though the charges were later dropped.

Libya retaliated by cancelling oil supplies, withdrawing billions of dollars from Swiss banks, refusing visas to Swiss citizens and recalling some of its diplomats.

In the same month that the Gaddafis were arrested, Libyan authorities detained two Swiss businessmen, in what analysts believe was a retaliatory move.

One was finally allowed to leave the country earlier this week but the second was transferred to jail, where he faces a four-month term on immigration offences.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8537925.stm

-----

Is this guy sick?
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by NnamdiN: 9:06am On Feb 26, 2010
Yeah I think he's really sick
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by ElRazur: 10:51am On Feb 26, 2010
A former US president once called him "a mad dog". I think that description is accurate.

All of these fracas is nothing but political, it would be a shame if these go beyond that and becomes a blood bath. Switzerland have the right to allow or disallow Minaret [those big round things at the top of the mosque] on their on soil.

Ghadafi's son is just an idiot in my opinion. In London, he once had a row with the police and if I remember correctly, I think he spat at one of them. Needless to say his diplomatic immunity was thrown off and duely man-handled and arrested.

Also it is not the first time he's [Ghadaffi's son] have been in other nation acting silly.
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by snowdrops(m): 12:07pm On Feb 26, 2010
ElRazur:

A former US president once called him "a mad dog". I think that description is accurate.

All of these fracas is nothing but political, it would be a shame if these go beyond that and becomes a blood bath. Switzerland have the right to allow or disallow Minaret [those big round things at the top of the mosque] on their on soil.

Ghadafi's son is just an idiot in my opinion. In London, he once had a row with the police and if I remember correctly, I think he spat at one of them. Needless to say his diplomatic immunity was thrown off and due man-handled and arrested.

Also it is not the first time he's [Ghadaffi's son] have been in other nation acting silly.
NnamdiN:

Yeah I think he's really sick
You guys need your brains rebooting.
Balls of steel if you ask me to stand up to imperialist Europe.
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by FBS: 12:19pm On Feb 26, 2010
snowdrops:

Your brain needs to be re-formatted.
Diplomatic stalemate between Libya and Europe.- This is Ok. Na dem get their visa. They all have the right to ban certain individuals or a collective of individual from each others countries.

But urging holy war 'cos of that? WTF?
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by ElRazur: 12:46pm On Feb 26, 2010
snowdrops:

So I need a rebooting because I prefer the matter to stay a political show off words/spat and not a bloodbath? You know, I think I will stick to my view point and not have that rebooting you suggested.

Balls of steel is to be diplomatic, not an idiotic rant against a nation that have all the support of most nations in the world - Including the most powerful one. So you see, in an all out war, I have a feeling Ghadaffi have a lot to lose. But then, it may not bother him. After all, he is described as a mad dog.
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by snowdrops(m): 4:47pm On Feb 26, 2010
The problem is you guys read headlines and start blasting away at your keyboards spilling venom.

The guy said muslims should wage a holy war not only against switzerland but against Zionism and foreign aggression. The western media cleverly left out the latter two.

This is the same way they twisted the words of the Iranian leader when he said he wanted zionism to be wiped from the face of the earth and the west said he wanted Isreal wiping off.

By holy war, he did not call for people to take up arms and ammunition but to have a diplomatic stand off as he has shown by denying entry visas, withdrawing some of his diplomats along with billions of Libyan dollars in Swiss banks. This is sanctions against the west and Ironically a breadth of fresh air from what is the norm that is sanction by the west against Libya/the developing world.

Dont get me wrong i disagree with most of the colonels policies especially treatment handed out to African immigrants in his country, but he is spot on with this.
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by ElRazur: 5:37pm On Feb 26, 2010
snowdrops:

The problem is you guys read headlines and start blasting away at your keyboards spilling venom.

So far our output have been directed at the matter at hand, until you came out with your "reboot brain" drivel.

The guy said muslims should wage a holy war not only against switzerland but against Zionism and foreign aggression. The western media cleverly left out the latter two.

How can the media be blamed here when it was clearly reported as he stated it. Perhaps you should read it again? Besides, the jihad was in quote - meaning it is open to interpretation. Jeez.

The reason why Switzerland have grabbed the head lines is down to the fact that 188 libyan officials where black listed recently and the issue of ban placed on minaret was just an excuse or a cover to fight the real grudge they have with Switzerland. See story here :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8538474.stm

This is the same way they twisted the words of the Iranian leader when he said he wanted zionism to be wiped from the face of the earth and the west said he wanted Isreal wiping off.

Two totally different message. But, I am sure you will find a link.

By holy war, he did not call for people to take up arms and ammunition but to have a diplomatic stand off as he has shown by denying entry visas, withdrawing some of his diplomats along with billions of Libyan dollars in Swiss banks. This is sanctions against the west and Ironically a breadth of fresh air from what is the norm that is sanction by the west against Libya/the developing world.

That is always the claim put forward by Muslims, Muslim lovers and Muslims apologist. Osama binlanden have shown time and time again what his understanding of Jihad means. Sucide bombers in pakistani, india and different part of the world have give us all the meaning of Jihad. For Ghadaffi to use such word is idiotic at best.

Like I said before, but it appears you missed it. I have no issue with the ti.t-for-tat going on. But once it crosses the line and words that are now associated with Bloodbath etc are been used is wrong in my opinion. Let them deny visa and do all they can, but for crying out loud, do not make it a religion thing or use it to call on those islamic bas.tards to wage war on innocent people again.

Dont get me wrong i disagree with most of the colonels policies especially treatment handed out to African immigrants in his country, but he is spot on with this.

No he is not spot on this one. You do not use religion as a cover for grudge and then call on "Jihad".
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by FBS: 9:40am On Feb 27, 2010
@ElRazur, sometimes you speak so much sense. Better stick to this than making music. grin

@snowdrops, do you call a ban on building a marinet in Switzerland an aggression? undecided
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by ElRazur: 9:54am On Feb 27, 2010
FBS:

@ElRazur, sometimes you speak so much sense. Better stick to this than making music. grin

@snowdrops, do you call a ban on building a marinet in Switzerland an aggression? undecided

Have you heard the new one I posted? Check it out. grin

By the way, it aint the first time there have been ban similar to this. Some part of italy banned Chinese people from putting up all those chinese stuff and red lanterns if I remember correctly as they [italians] believe it brings abiut a visual change to their landscape or something. While it may be a cover for racism etc, they do have a point.

Besides, there are no churches AT ALL in Saudi Arabia, so what is the problem is minarets are banned in other places?
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by honeric01(m): 10:10am On Feb 27, 2010
I don't get this, is switzerland a one religion country? why would they dictate how a mosque should be built and how not it should be built when we all know all mosques have that thing on the top? is this not discriminative to their religion?

the western countries are not talking about switzerland because they know ghadaffi's partially right and switzerland is partially wrong.
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by ElRazur: 10:15am On Feb 27, 2010
honeric01:

I don't get this, is switzerland a one religion country? why would they dictate how a mosque should be built and how not it should be built when we all know all mosques have that thing on the top? is this not discriminative to their religion?

the western countries are not talking about switzerland because they know ghadaffi's partially right and switzerland is partially wrong.

They do not have to particularly be religious nation to outlaw it. They have their own culture and way of life, and their own laws etc. The minaret is seen as a bold statement on the landscape, the Swiss are well within their rights to disallow it. If you do not like it, please leave. Islam was brought to Switzerland and not something that is part and parcel of the nation.

The Swiss is one of the most peaceful and tolerant nation on earth, personally, I would be more concerned about the threats of Jihad by Ghadaffi.
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by honeric01(m): 10:26am On Feb 27, 2010
ElRazur:

They do not have to particularly be religious nation to outlaw it. They have their own culture and way of life, and their own laws etc. The minaret is seen as a bold statement on the landscape, the Swiss are well within their rights to disallow it. If you do not like it, please leave. Islam was brought to Switzerland and not something that is part and parcel of the nation.

The Swiss is one of the most peaceful and tolerant nation on earth, personally, I would be more concerned about the threats of Jihad by Ghadaffi.

Tolerant you say? even the US with all their anti-Islam messages, they still have mosque with stuffs like that, so i don't understand all these nonsense, if they allowed Islam in in the first place, then they shouldn't stop them from practicing and carrying out the religion's activities as long as it's not a negative activity.

I think both countries have bigger problems the world is not addressing than this mosque or no mosque thing. if the whole Europe is concerned with the development with these two countries and even Italy and Holland are even asking switzerland to reverse their decision, then I'm having a feeling that switzerland is mostly at fault here.
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by ElRazur: 10:39am On Feb 27, 2010
Again you may have missed the point. There is a degree of tolerance you see. All they have asked is for mosque to be built without a minaret - it preserves the landscape. How is that non-tolerant?

Again, Islam was allowed, but some nations have beautiful landscape and they are passionate about this, they are not about to allow this to be ruined by some architecture that is considered out of place. Also, there is nothing in the quran that states that a mosque most have a minaret.

No. The real problem is more about the blacklisting of Libyan officials and this Minaret issue is just been used by Ghadaffi as a ruse to get back at them.

You may be missing the most important point. Minaret have no impact on any practising Muslim and The Swiss have all the right to prevent their landscape from getting altered with alien architecture. They are acting within the law of their country and I won't be surprised if the European court of Human rights throws out this case as I do not see how it is affecting their "Human rights".

In every country of the world - even in Nigeria. Town planning is monitored and building deemed as non-fit or not needed wont be allowed so I really do not see the big deal.
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by FBS: 10:50am On Feb 27, 2010
ElRazur:

Again you may have missed the point. There is a degree of tolerance you see. All they have asked is for mosque to be built without a minaret - it preserves the landscape.  How is that non-tolerant?

Again, Islam was allowed, but some nations have beautiful landscape and they are passionate about this, they are not about to allow this to be ruined by some architecture that is considered out of place. Also, there is nothing in the quran that states that a mosque most have a minaret.

No. The real problem is more about the blacklisting of Libyan officials and this Minaret issue is just been used by Ghadaffi as a ruse to get back at them.

You may be missing the most important point. Minaret have no impact on any practising Muslim and The Swiss have all the right to prevent their landscape from getting altered with alien architecture. They are acting within the law of their country and I won't be surprised if the European court of Human rights throws out this case as I do not see how it is affecting their "Human rights".

In every country of the world - even in Nigeria. Town planning is monitored and building deemed as non-fit or not needed wont be allowed so I really do not see the big deal.
Damn. . .you are spitting hardcore sense today.  grin  grin  grin
+5!

Ghadaffi is a sick man.
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by honeric01(m): 10:55am On Feb 27, 2010
What landscape are you talking about? does that thing take extra space? is it not suppose to be up on the building? which yeye landscape are they talking about?

Anyways all other European countries are really trying to make Switzerland reverse their decision because it's hurting Europe than helping them. If all African countries withdraw their services from Switzerland, i bet you, that country's going to fall flat within 2 years, but then that won't happen because it's not an African problem, it's a problem between 2 countries showing off their economic and financial strenght to the rest of the world.

BTW: how are you sure the Minaret is not a culture Islamic symbol and how are you sure it's not in the Qumran? any proof?
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by ElRazur: 11:15am On Feb 27, 2010
honeric01:

What landscape are you talking about? does that thing take extra space? is it not suppose to be up on the building? which yeye landscape are they talking about?

Do you by chance know anyone who is an architect? If you do, perhaps asking them to explain things to you may be a better than if I have to point them out to you? Minarets distracts the eyes from the surrounding landscape in my opinion and it appears the Swiss share this idea too. It is their law, their country and their say. Not yours or mine you see.

Anyways all other European countries are really trying to make Switzerland reverse their decision because it's hurting Europe than helping them. If all African countries withdraw their services from Switzerland, i bet you, that country's going to fall flat within 2 years, but then that won't happen because it's not an African problem, it's a problem between 2 countries showing off their economic and financial strenght to the rest of the world.

No. They cannot get them to reverse their decision. It is an internal matter, concerns may be voiced, but they won't interfere. Or do you have any proof to the effect?

You are speaking of IF so I won't comment on an IF scenario.

For the 3rd time or so, the problem is more to do with the blacklisting of Libyan officials, the jailing of swiss nationals in libya etc. Ghadaffi is playing games and am afraid people like you have taken the bait. Now imagine how many crazy people will go and wage a Jihad against Swiss?
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by MrCrackles(m): 11:17am On Feb 27, 2010
Gaddafi is taking this row too far. . . .
Seriously too far!!! angry
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by ElRazur: 11:21am On Feb 27, 2010
honeric01

Listen, there is not a single place that I have found that says Minaret must be build on a mosque in the quran. A minaret was used in the olden days as a place where the person that calls to prayer stands. In this day and age, there is no need for that.

http://www.religionfacts.com/islam/things/minaret.htm

As stated in that link, they are nothing but serve decorative purposes. [There function is obsolete]
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by FBS: 11:22am On Feb 27, 2010
MrCrackles:

Gaddafi is taking this row too far. . . .
Seriously too far!!! angry
Too bleeping far!
Wage holy war because he and his cronies were denied Swizz visa?
The guy should go see a doctor.
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by honeric01(m): 12:10pm On Feb 27, 2010
ElRazur:

Do you by chance know anyone who is an architect? If you do, perhaps asking them to explain things to you may be a better than if I have to point them out to you? Minarets distracts the eyes from the surrounding landscape in my opinion and it appears the Swiss share this idea too. It is their law, their country and their say. Not yours or mine you see.
Yes it's their law we all know, but why allow a religion when you know their pattern of building won't fit into your city plan? you don't expect to see mosque in the Vatican city right? either would you see a mosque in North Korea so if you don't want a religion, don't accept it.

ElRazur:

No. They cannot get them to reverse their decision. It is an internal matter, concerns may be voiced, but they won't interfere. Or do you have any proof to the effect?
Yes they have been talking really hard and loud, i have watched more than 2 cliques on Al jazeera and co, the 2 people jailed in Libya were not jailed unjustly, one of them has been released and the other was given 4 months jailterm for his offense, but why the Swiss government banned 144 VIP members of the Libyan government is unknown to me or do you have something to say bout that?

ElRazur:

You are speaking of IF so I won't comment on an IF scenario.

For the 3rd time or so, the problem is more to do with the blacklisting of Libyan officials, the jailing of swiss nationals in libya etc. Ghadaffi is playing games and am afraid people like you have taken the bait. Now imagine how many crazy people will go and wage a Jihad against Swiss?

When he said jihad, he didn't mean they should pick up guns and start killing people, why are you twisting his words? we all have seen how he retaliated the Swiss government, we have all seen his "holy war pattern" he's using, did you see him sending troops to Swiss or shouting Alau bak kar? anyways, what i know is that the Swiss have alot of the faults, that's why most western nations have not really beaten down the Libyan government, they know his actions must have been really provoked, that's why most of them aren't talking against him, they are only looking for any mistakes from him, so they can switch the blame game to him.
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by FBS: 12:12pm On Feb 27, 2010
@honeric01
What is a jihad/holy war?
Is it like sharing tom-tom with each other? undecided grin
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by AjanleKoko: 12:24pm On Feb 27, 2010
Well, don't blame Ghadaffi. As is the case with most MEA rulers, the concept of democracy and the rule of law is clearly beyond him.
Fact remains that the Swiss people voted against building minarets. Not like the darn things were pissing off the Swiss president or something. The people don't want it, period. It is their country after all. That's democracy.

How about we vote to build the largest cathedral in Africa, with the tallest possible spire, right in the center of Tripoli. Is the Colonel cool with that? undecided
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by ElRazur: 12:26pm On Feb 27, 2010
honeric01:

Yes it's their law we all know, but why allow a religion when you know their pattern of building won't fit into your city plan? you don't expect to see mosque in the Vatican city right? either would you see a mosque in North Korea so if you don't want a religion, don't accept it.

Your logic is flawed. What you are asking is a total discrimination on the basis of religion. But what they are doing is urging them to practice their religion but not let it affect the landscape of swiss as we know it. I am not sure you can relate both. Please explain to me what purpose a minaret serves in this day and age?

Vatican city is a good example, only that I dont think there is an outright ban on Mosque. Also, there appears to be a mosque in the outskirts - maybe not in the vatican.

I hate to say, but I think there are NK muslims. Whether or not there is a mosque building is another debate as the regime is very secretive and do not allow outside press, so your point is something that is hard to prove or disprove and as a result a bad example.

Yes they have been talking really hard and loud, i have watched more than 2 cliques on Al jazeera and co, the 2 people jailed in Libya were not jailed unjustly, one of them has been released and the other was given 4 months jailterm for his offense, but why the Swiss government banned 144 VIP members of the Libyan government is unknown to me or do you have something to say bout that?

No. You original point is that they are trying to reverse the decision and then I pointed out it is not for them to reverse, but they may voice conern - You above statement only confirms what I say and it shows you moved from your original point.

I am not so sure as to why they are blacklisted - I haven't looked it up. But as it stand it is all political to me, that is the point you are missing. I.e It is a t.it-for tat issue until Gadaffi start talking about i.diotic jihad message.

When he said jihad, he didn't mean they should pick up guns and start killing people, why are you twisting his words? we all have seen how he retaliated the Swiss government, we have all seen his "holy war pattern" he's using, did you see him sending troops to Swiss or shouting Alau bak kar? anyways, what i know is that the Swiss have alot of the faults, that's why most western nations have not really beaten down the Libyan government, they know his actions must have been really provoked, that's why most of them aren't talking against him, they are only looking for any mistakes from him, so they can switch the blame game to him.

Give me a break. I have already addressed this point.

What perhaps you should start a thread and ask people what Jihad means? See the responses you will get and draw your conclusion from there.

You know words change from their original meaning as language develops etc. Jihad as described in the quran have changed in this day and age, just the same way the word "Gay" originally means to be happy, but now it means to be a homosexual.

Clearly in the context Gadaffi was using Jihad, it is more like asking Islam faithful to do damage to Switzerland in anyway possible - Violence of any type included.

Refer back to my post in this thread, I have explained this already.
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by ElRazur: 12:30pm On Feb 27, 2010
FBS:

@honeric01

Don't be silly, it is about sharing Ragolis water, boli and ground nut. The tom-tom comes after. Then you get virgin in heaven.
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by honeric01(m): 12:34pm On Feb 27, 2010
FBS:

@honeric01

And what is a jihad/holy war?
Did you see him sending missiles to Switzerland? he's using sanction to retaliate whatever the Swiss government must have done just like the west do when it's their turn. lets pretend he didn't use Jihad in his statement, are his actions so far wrong? if the Swiss is that holy and righteous, why are they not responding to all these sanctions?
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by ElRazur: 12:37pm On Feb 27, 2010
honeric01:

Did you see him sending missiles to Switzerland? he's using sanction to retaliate whatever the Swiss government must have done just like the west do when it's their turn. lets pretend he didn't use Jihad in his statement, are his actions so far wrong? if the Swiss is that holy and righteous, why are they not responding to all these sanctions?

He can't send missiles because he would get his arse whipped. The swiss have very good Army. How ever, by asking all Islam faithfuls to take Jihad to the Swiss, there is a chance someone may do his dirty work for him. I won't be surprised if there is a suicide bombing soon in Swiss land.

No we can't pretend he didn't use Jihad in his statement. That is the KOKO and what is causing all these debate. Here, do you agree he is wrong to turn this political fiasco into a religion one? Yes or no please.
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by FBS: 12:49pm On Feb 27, 2010
honeric01:

Send missiles? I don't think he is prepared to die.
Strange but why do I feel you did not even read the article. In fact I was on his "side" until that jihad message from the sick man.
Banning a marinet is by no means enough reason to call for a jihad or whatever you think it stand for.

When The Swiss banned some Libyan officials some entering Switzerland, he (MG) did the "right" thing by denying visa to Swiss nationals. t.it for tat. It's the norm in the diplomatic world.

Now how does calling for a jihad enter into this equation? Can you tell us?
But wait, so you mean jihad is now a form of sanction?
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by FBS: 12:55pm On Feb 27, 2010
ElRazur:

Don't be silly, it is about sharing Ragolis water, boli and ground nut. The tom-tom comes after. Then you get virgin in heaven.
hehe. I''m so sorry. How could I have missed that? grin
But I think Boli and G-nut comes first then you use Ragolis water (do they still sell that stuff) to push it down?
Followed by tom-tom for fresh breath before the action with the. . .
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by honeric01(m): 1:08pm On Feb 27, 2010
ElRazur:

He can't send missiles because he would get his arse whipped. The swiss have very good Army. How ever, by asking all Islam faithfuls to take Jihad to the Swiss, there is a chance someone may do his dirty work for him. I won't be surprised if there is a suicide bombing soon in Swiss land.

No we can't pretend he didn't use Jihad in his statement. That is the KOKO and what is causing all these debate. Here, do you agree he is wrong to turn this political fiasco into a religion one? Yes or no please.

lol, the Swiss have a very good Army you say eh? lol, so you think the Swiss can really match the Libyan? stop dreaming, just because they are in Africa does not make them a whimp.

that's by the way sha, since you all have decided to dwell only on what he said rather than the main cause of why he said those things, I'd leave you to your "the west can't make mistakes". i can't continue arguing when i know that their problem is not mine.

ElRazur:

Your logic is flawed. What you are asking is a total discrimination on the basis of religion. But what they are doing is urging them to practice their religion but not let it affect the landscape of swiss as we know it. I am not sure you can relate both. Please explain to me what purpose a minaret serves in this day and age?
 How? if they refuse Islam, no one would say they are discriminating, it's their country as you said, so they can decide whatever they want, that's why i am saying, they should have banned the religion all together rather than dictate to them on how they should build their God's temples. there are more countries in the world who do not welcome Islam in their country so why can't they just follow these countries's path?

ElRazur:

Vatican city is a good example, only that I dont think there is an outright ban on Mosque. Also, there appears to be a mosque in the outskirts - maybe not in the vatican.

I hate to say, but I think there are NK muslims. Whether or not there is a mosque building is another debate as the regime is very secretive and do not allow outside press, so your point is something that is hard to prove or disprove and as a result a bad example.
 i used the perfect examples, we all know there are no mosque in the Vatican nor in North Korea, your job is to prove me wrong with fact, imagines or anything, there are other countries too with no mosques so let's stop debating that.

ElRazur:

No. You original point is that they are trying to reverse the decision and then I pointed out it is not for them to reverse, but they may voice conern - You above statement only confirms what I say and it shows you moved from your original point.
 If you watch Euronews very well, you'd see that the European union had a meeting about the situation because it's costing the whole of Europe millions of dollars and not just the Swiss, alot of them do biz with the Libyan government and that government have really reduced alot of things they sent out to Europe/allow to come in from Europe. every African country is not like Nigeria that barks but can't bite, The Libyan government is not a pushover, they even stood toe to toe with the US when they had a tussle.

ElRazur:

I am not so sure as to why they are blacklisted - I haven't looked it up. But as it stand it is all political to me, that is the point you are missing. I.e It is a t.it-for tat issue until Gadaffi start talking about i.diotic jihad message.

Give me a break. I have already addressed this point.
Since you don't or haven't researched why the Swiss blacklisted these people, why not back down from defending them when you don't know if what they did was right or wrong. they have more political stuffs going on that alot of us don't know and its like the time's now ripe for both of them to lash out at eachother.
like i said before, the Libyan government and her people is no pushover, so they always stand their ground when they think they are right.

ElRazur:

What perhaps you should start a thread and ask people what Jihad means? See the responses you will get and draw your conclusion from there.

You know words change from their original meaning as language develops etc. Jihad as described in the quran have changed in this day and age, just the same way the word "Gay" originally means to be happy, but now it means to be a homosexual.

Clearly in the context Gadaffi was using Jihad, it is more like asking Islam faithful to do damage to Switzerland in anyway possible - Violence of any type included.

Refer back to my post in this thread, I have explained this already.

This is going to be last response to this issue, do you really think the Libyan government is that weak to really go to war with the swiss if they really want to do it? but then, they can't and won't because they are also civilized and know other ways to punish swiss which they have already done.
they supply the swiss government 40% of their total crude oil which they have suspended and withdrawn.
they pulled out all their cash in all banks in the Swiss nation
they closed down all their companies there
they also withdrew their assets in the Swiss nation

there are other things they did that i can't recall and these decisions was not only limited to Switzerland, they also extended it to other European countries which shocked Italy and Holland.
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by adconline(m): 1:28pm On Feb 27, 2010
mentally deranged psycho. I hope that  his son, Saif al-Islam al-Gaddafi who got his PhD from  London School of Economics  will lead  the jihad.  Or his other son,  Moutassim Gaddafi who's married to a model will also be a  jihadist. Shear hypocrites, they are dining and winning with  folks like  Prince Andrew and their dad-  a megalomaniac, is crying jihad. Let him start with his family.

By the way, how many churches are there in Tripoli nay-Libya?
Re: Libya's Gaddafi Urges 'holy War' Against Switzerland by tunnytox(m): 5:46pm On Feb 27, 2010
Gaddaffi and his sons are retarded, they go about to foreign countries to act illegally and they expect them to be treated with diplomatic immunity. The Swiss has the right to vote on minaret, islam or any other issue. The fact remains that most muslims believes they are right while evry other people are wrong, how many Churches do they allow in core muslims countries like Libya? can people of other religion be allowed to practice their religion freely in Libya, Iran, saudi, etc? can muslims convert to other religion in these countries without being declared an apostate and murdered?
all these talk about european imperialism is NONSENSE what about Libyan/Arab imperialism? oh! may be that doesn't exist, gaddaffi was responsible for civil wars in Liberia and Sierra leone from which thousand of people lost their lives, he has never hide his intention to rule Africa through is 'united states of Africa' project and some people here are talking about european imperialism I think most people need to read and study politics before replying on topic they seem not to have ANY idea about.

Gaddaffi and many other muslim leaders has always declare jihad for the purpose of achieving there selfish political motive and same goes for Nigeria leaders in the north once jihad is mentioned their army of retarded and brainwashed jihadist will start to cause trouble.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Come Fly With Transgenders! Thai Carrier Pc Air / Today In 2011, Pan African Soldier Muammar Al-gaddafi Was Killed. / Trump Is Going To Win The US Elections 2016.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.