Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,297 members, 7,836,297 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church (20051 Views)

Some Benefits Of Attending A Local Church / What Are You Hearing In Your Local Church, Life Or Death? - Olamide Obire / How To Find A Local Church And Stay Committed There (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by nwakaibeya1: 12:13am On Sep 15, 2017
Jeremiah 5.21,22 Knowing or coming in contact with a true man of God or beign real BORNAGAIN means to be above all kinds of Evil powers& living a life of PEACE& UNBELIEVABLE POWER& remember that JESUSCHRIST did not promise anyone money he only promised PEACE& UNBELIEVABLE POWER whereby he said i am the prince of peace, not prince of money,but many people who follow pastors& prophets are afraid of the Evil people&once they encounter them they are the first to accuse the other as beign an evil or native doctor or witch& wizards showing fear towards those& they do not have the commonest gift Jesus Christ promised to give those who come in contact with him via so called pastors& prophets etc, which is PEACE&UNBELIEVABLE POWER so as far as the kingdom of real JesusChrist is concerned which we represent all these qualities you think about BORNAGAIN or listed especially the prosperity syndrome& false humility are nonconforming because if the word PEACE AND UNBELIEVABLE POWER which Jesus Christ promised is not listed and made available to you by whoever is teaching you or bornagaining you then it means he is not from real Jesus Christ&we are open to confrontation and humanbeigns must be told the TRUTH& it is ACCEPT our TRUTH or PERISH#IT is an authority from he that made the SPIRITUAL laws and the power that be and of a TRUTH we have told those who care to know that no matter how or what people claim to be it is only at NIGHT that we know who is who and so many who follow the so called pastors& prophets have never seen how his pastors or prophets or whoever is leading them looks SPIRITUALLY because every human being has a SPIRITUAL look&appearance and many who follow him don't know this hidden secrets,so be wise enough to be compliant for you to be truly free and truly wise , meanwhile you must be told that kingdom of JesusChrist has comeback again to judge and revenge Evil people on earth& beyond&those who have eyes& ears hear& see what we speak& know it is not ordinary& for those who don't understand the SPIRITUAL, remember we speak SPIRITUALLY&that's where we welcome confrontation&we own the Night&that's Also where the battles of life are fought won or lost.this is test&see that kingdom of Jesus Christ has comeback to revenge&judge people of the world unknown to those who claim to know Jesus Christ

Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by Johnrake69: 12:15am On Sep 15, 2017
ideologies:
there is nothing good about that.

If the members at HQ are also doing the same and other branches too, where will the HQ get money to give everyone

Mr. That is not the reality of the day. Some church branches make more than #50million on a weekly basis while some branches can hardly provide for their pastors not to talk of giving to members. It's unfortunate the leadership of the churches have totally implemented capitalist ideology in the church. As wicked as the world governments are they still sponsor budgets of other nations who don't have enough. Don't you think such should be implemented in the church also?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by Johnrake69: 12:19am On Sep 15, 2017
bedspread:
GOD'S BUSINESS you Call another man?

Who owns the assets of the church? Is it the members or the G O? Go and find out about the crisis in assemblies of God.
Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by stevecantrell: 12:22am On Sep 15, 2017
OP the solution is really very simple.
Pre-empt the so called 'demands' with your (the churches) demands.
Do you have all the material and equipment your church need ?

Make these needs known to your members, request for donors within your congregation.
Let them know the situation; the parent church do not help out with much of your branch needs.

Your congregation see you as a blank cheque and its largely your fault.

1 Like

Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by aluko360(m): 1:13am On Sep 15, 2017
na inside idp camp the church dey?
Next time look well before u plant a church.

1 Like

Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by aluko360(m): 1:13am On Sep 15, 2017
na inside idp camp the church dey?
Next time look well before u plant a church.

1 Like

Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by ibizgirl(f): 1:22am On Sep 15, 2017
Pastor, don't be weary of doing good. Go and study about David and his mighty men, when they came to him they were poor, some of them were even in debt, but they gave the most for the building of the temple.

1 Like

Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by Nobody: 1:29am On Sep 15, 2017
Why are you asking nairalanders na...shebi you be Pastor...go and ask God.... undecided
Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by kennybabs1980: 3:48am On Sep 15, 2017
I have read through all the comments. Some said I can't get any meaningful advise here but I must confess that I have gotten 10 cogent actionable points, I'm going to work on these. Let me say Nairalanders surprised me in this one, I hesitated before posting because I thought terrible comments from some funny individuals will derail the post, Is have derived godly and spiritually rich actionable suggestions Here, thank you all and God bless.

2 Likes

Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by bolubillionaire(m): 4:10am On Sep 15, 2017
Op... It is good to help the needy around you, but always remember this, your primary assignment is to preach the gospel, attend to their spiritual needs.
You are not here to please these people, trust me you cant, so if their constant demands is hampering you from doing ur primary assignment then you have failed.
Remember the lame man at the beautiful gate, the apostle said unto him SILVER AND GOLD i have not, but the man was healed at the end of the day. The healing was worth more than all d money the beggar had ever made in his life.

People can get money from any where sir, but not the gospel. Dont let these gold diggers ruin the church. Cus if u crumble, their life goes on.

May God help his church, may God help you.

3 Likes

Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by mildflame: 4:17am On Sep 15, 2017
kennybabs1980:
I started pastoring a small parish of a big Pentecostal church in Akure in 2012. We used to meet in a small location in a housing estate until 2015 when we relocated to our permanent site, a location that's about 10km farther than our former site.

Most of the worshippers in the former location refused to relocate when we moved because of the distance and associated stress. That means we have to start the parish all over again. So we have been having very low attendance which has been improving since about 4 months now.

The new site is a new community occupied mainly by people who have just moved to their personal houses. More than 60% of the plots remained undeveloped for now.

One major issue here is the rate at which most people that attend the parish sees the church as a place where their needs must be met. They keep coming up with one demand or the other every week. Their demands include food, money and now that school is about to resume, school fees and books. Parents will teach their little children to go and tell stories of how they can't resume at school since they don't have school fees and books, elderly people even come around to ask for money and food, this situation is becoming very disturbing and worrisome.

How can people see a very small church of less than 40 (90% children) in attendance as a source of supply of all their needs? Our parent church don't get involved in funding the small parish, we are the one who returns our tithes and offerings to the national headquarters every month. Offering in the church is small, adults come around to put N10 or N20 in offering bag and later send their children to go and ask for N10k assistance, I got pissed off this evening when a small girl who attends a public secondary school came around to ask for school fees of N10k and books of N10k for herself and same for her 2 siblings making a total of N30k. We bought exercise books and gave 4 to each pupil just last Sunday with pencils and biros and between then and now, they have bombarded the church with demands of well over N100k. Where do they really want the church to meet their demands? The church is operating under a temporary shed we put up in 2015, we've not been able to continue with serious building project due to paucity of funds. We (I, my wife, my assistant and his wife) have been trying in the areas of giving out food items, money, drugs, clothes etc to these people yet its one demand or the other on a daily basis.
I see these attitude as unwholesome, disturbing and unfair.

I need serious suggestions on how to really handle this situation as it is already dampening my morale. Matured and spiritual suggestions welcomed, thanks.

U think to be a real Man of GOD is bread n butter? If U can't let the holly Spirit to be your source of wisdom and inspiration best you check yourself if you were truly called to be a Pastor by GOD or man.
All these murmuring will do no shit
Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by aku626(m): 4:43am On Sep 15, 2017
icon007:
Sorry to doubt ur person. I don't think you are what you claim. If you are, then you are not properly trained. No one here, I mean this platform that can provide you with the help you seek. It's all complain I see here! God guide your path.

People bashed the above post cause they don't understand what it means to be a pastor neither does the OP who I believe is a fake, his so focused on feeding stomachs that the very essence of becoming a pastor is thrown away, if you're this clueless why pastor a church? Why seek the advice of 'men' on the things of God? Why not liaise with your likes for solution? If I have a problem as a carpenter I won't go meet a mechanic for a solution or go into a market to search for one, it should be tailored.
I'm disappointed in the OP. Jesus fed multitudes miracles first: spiritually then physically your spiritual goal comes first, when you start thinking physically then you wither spiritually, a Christian life is based on faith if your faith fails you're advised to excercise more faith by praying(take the feeding of the 5k.
If you wish to help them you must setup institutions to alleviate them from lack my church goes to a poor neighborhood to preach every Sunday well it's more established than yours so we can afford food and gifts but moreover we've setup things for them to make extra cash. You don't even need to do it with your own money or that if the church liaise with the govt to pick regular members for govt funded programs in the state, and if that fail liaise with the bigger church or churches to have them cater for the regular ones first.
Op use your faith sk for wisdom not everyone is supposed to be a pastor.

1 Like

Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by Iamzik: 5:10am On Sep 15, 2017
pastoray:

Proverbs 4:7, "Wisdom is supreme – so acquire wisdom, and whatever you acquire, acquire understanding!"

You brought a spiritual matter into a platform you know too well... You've allowed the infidels to judge what they can't understand because of their folly. May God have mercy on you. If you have a problem with sorting yourself out, seek counsel from the right mind...

Lastly, Proverbs 11:14, "Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counsellors there is safety.

Shalom!

Bros you that is not an infidel what ideas have you contributed?

This is the typical picture of a young redeem pastor and the senior pastors will not help.

The man is simply asking for any useful ideas.
Instead of helping out with a useful clue, you are here judging...
Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:11am On Sep 15, 2017
Ishilove:
Wow.

Shouldn't the HQ try to assist?

For where. Nigerian Pentecostal churches behave like fgn, the tithes and offerings go to the headquarters same way vat, income from crude oil etc go to the federation account at Abuja
Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by Iamzik: 5:13am On Sep 15, 2017
aku626:

People bashed the above post cause they don't understand what it means to be a pastor neither does the OP who I believe is a fake, his so focused on feeding stomachs that the very essence of becoming a pastor is thrown away, if you're this clueless why pastor a church? Why seek the advice of 'men' on the things of God? Why not liaise with your likes for solution? If I have a problem as a carpenter I won't go meet a mechanic for a solution or go into a market to search for one, it should be tailored.
I'm disappointed in the OP. Jesus fed multitudes miracles first: spiritually then physically your spiritual goal comes first, when you start thinking physically then you wither spiritually, a Christian life is based on faith if your faith fails you're advised to excercise more faith by praying(take the feeding of the 5k.
If you wish to help them you must setup institutions to alleviate them from lack my church goes to a poor neighborhood to preach every Sunday well it's more established than yours so we can afford food and gifts but moreover we've setup things for them to make extra cash. You don't even need to do it with your own money or that if the church liaise with the govt to pick regular members for govt funded programs in the state, and if that fail liaise with the bigger church or churches to have them cater for the regular ones first.
Op use your faith sk for wisdom not everyone is supposed to be a pastor.

How convenient for you to type. Kudos!!
Funny how you know who is supposed to be a pastor and who is not.

Op ignore all these discouragers (if there's any word like that)
Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:20am On Sep 15, 2017
Johnrake69:

That is the problem with the church of today. Every local assembly they set up is a profit centre. It's really worthless devoting to a local assembly cos you're just building another man's business

After building the local assembly you will be transferred to another small branch to build again.
Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by obstead200(m): 5:23am On Sep 15, 2017
Pastor came to vent on nairaland. Its allowed afterall you be human being
Just tell them politely that there is no money anywhere in the church to settle their bills, if there was you would have willingly given to them.
Nobody will take you to jail for that
My brother, na wa for the OP ooo. What kind of pastor is this?
Why can't he just say "no" and drop the issue.? Why Come here to rant?. Giving is not by force na. I really doubt his maturity to lead his flock if this is the way his mind works.
Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by emmanuelewumi(m): 5:29am On Sep 15, 2017
Johnrake69:

Mr. That is not the reality of the day. Some church branches make more than #50million on a weekly basis while some branches can hardly provide for their pastors not to talk of giving to members. It's unfortunate the leadership of the churches have totally implemented capitalist ideology in the church. As wicked as the world governments are they still sponsor budgets of other nations who don't have enough. Don't you think such should be implemented in the church also?

That is why pastors settle or sow into the life of the guys close to the corridors of power at the headquarters or people who do the postings. This is to make sure they ie the pastors are posted to lucrative parishes.
Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by AdiDami: 5:29am On Sep 15, 2017
Dearly beloved, I know exactly how you feel as we have exactly the same problem facing us!
1. Don't ever think the HQ church would bail you out of the challenge (if na the chuch wen I suspect say e be you de for Pastor) na only God go fit help you.
2. You are practicing what the body of Christ was expected to be doing only that you are doing it under the wrong church (it's not in their vision as the major vision now is "operation double")
3. The thought of meeting up with the set target in 2 above, blinded you to the extent of using whatever is available to keep your members. (the members most likely realise that you need them more than they need you so they are taking advantage of the situation).
4. I think you just have to open up to yourself that you can't continue to pretend so as to please "man" as all that is done in the church now is all geared towards pleasing man!
5. Take one Sunday to educate your members on the pattern the chuch is being run as information would make them have a better understanding. Let them know that your "small local parish" returns over 72% of whatever you guys are able to gather back to the HQ church (and the other 28 % swallowd up with levies and funny charges from the same HQ church)
6. It's likely that you are running the parish as if the work is for you alone and you are showing to the congregation that "your God is blessing you mightily", no way that can work na! Just Set up a welfare committee of 4 persons to be headed by your assistant who reports to you and drop your own contribution to the welfare purse like all others, make sure the collection is published every week

2 Likes

Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by abbeyty(m): 5:43am On Sep 15, 2017
manna from heaven will do the trick
Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by femi4: 6:01am On Sep 15, 2017
kennybabs1980:
I started pastoring a small parish of a big Pentecostal church in Akure in 2012. We used to meet in a small location in a housing estate until 2015 when we relocated to our permanent site, a location that's about 10km farther than our former site.

Most of the worshippers in the former location refused to relocate when we moved because of the distance and associated stress. That means we have to start the parish all over again. So we have been having very low attendance which has been improving since about 4 months now.

The new site is a new community occupied mainly by people who have just moved to their personal houses. More than 60% of the plots remained undeveloped for now.

One major issue here is the rate at which most people that attend the parish sees the church as a place where their needs must be met. They keep coming up with one demand or the other every week. Their demands include food, money and now that school is about to resume, school fees and books. Parents will teach their little children to go and tell stories of how they can't resume at school since they don't have school fees and books, elderly people even come around to ask for money and food, this situation is becoming very disturbing and worrisome.

How can people see a very small church of less than 40 (90% children) in attendance as a source of supply of all their needs? Our parent church don't get involved in funding the small parish, we are the one who returns our tithes and offerings to the national headquarters every month. Offering in the church is small, adults come around to put N10 or N20 in offering bag and later send their children to go and ask for N10k assistance, I got pissed off this evening when a small girl who attends a public secondary school came around to ask for school fees of N10k and books of N10k for herself and same for her 2 siblings making a total of N30k. We bought exercise books and gave 4 to each pupil just last Sunday with pencils and biros and between then and now, they have bombarded the church with demands of well over N100k. Where do they really want the church to meet their demands? The church is operating under a temporary shed we put up in 2015, we've not been able to continue with serious building project due to paucity of funds. We (I, my wife, my assistant and his wife) have been trying in the areas of giving out food items, money, drugs, clothes etc to these people yet its one demand or the other on a daily basis.

I need serious suggestions on how to really handle this situation as it is already dampening my morale. Matured and spiritual suggestions welcomed, thanks.
Why send tithe to HQ, when you can barely stand on its own. The HQ should be supporting small and growing churches and not the other way round.

Stop sending your tithes there, use your tithes to assist your members
Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by Stylz69(m): 6:20am On Sep 15, 2017
Our parent church don't get involved in funding the small parish, we are the one who returns our tithes and offerings to the national headquarters every month.

Therein lies your problem! You take but you don't want to give!!! Talk to your parent church that you remit all your offerings to. Talk to daddy G.O.

1 Like

Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by Nobody: 6:38am On Sep 15, 2017
kennybabs1980:

""One major issue here is the rate at which most people that attend the parish sees the church as a place where their needs must be met.""

Ur church members have been reading the Bible n they have seen the light. They already know that the Bible teaches that u should take care of them, it's the duty of the pastor to take care of the body of Christ.

Ur duty is not to build church, Jesus didn't build any church. It duty is to provide for them.

u de cokect tithe, offering, gifts, free will offerings n sacrifice offerings abi........ ehee they have come to collect their own.
Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by Ibnkathir: 6:41am On Sep 15, 2017
kennybabs1980:

That is what u get when pastors only preach miracles and prosperity. Again people now know that churches make hell of money from its members so it is time to give back bro. So no complaints. The only solution is churches must stop the show of magic and start preaching salvation.
Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by ikorodureporta: 6:43am On Sep 15, 2017
Yr story sound like u'r repping rccg. My take is 'why cant yr mother parishes supoort they branches?? Thoz members coming to seek for help know that yr church is like the son of a king, why wont they approach u for help? Yr mother-Parish shld hav a role in resolving issues like this
Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by donnie(m): 6:43am On Sep 15, 2017
Every true Pastor must go through what you're going through. Do not complain, rely on the ability of the one who called you. Because you have all that is required inside you if you're truly called. Challenges always navigate towards their solution.

So pray more and Study the Word more. Grow your faith! That's how to walk in increased grace. Be excited about ministry.

Many young ministers think that all it takes to be a Pastor is to wear white suit and preach. grin

Welcome to true ministry. This is what men like Pastors Oyakhilome, Oyedepo and Adeboye you admire had to go through. So take your test and pass it... Then share your testimonies.

Greater is he that is in you than he that's in the world.
Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by aku626(m): 6:58am On Sep 15, 2017
If your faith fails in the days of adversity then your faith is small. I'm not discouraging you but telling you to up your game if truly you know turning back isn't an option. But, remember it's better you quit than to mislead anyone. I may sound like the devil but within my words find your resolve to lead people right being a pastor isn't easy only Gods grace can see a through disciple through
Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by Obiwiz(m): 6:59am On Sep 15, 2017
EponOjuku:

In Pentecostal churches, money flows upwards to the GOs and their families not downwards to the members.
sounds like the truth, most of the time
Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by HENRY940: 7:00am On Sep 15, 2017
And I quote.."""we are the one who returns our tithes and offerings to the national headquarters every month"""

Op the recession is not a joke anymore.
A lot of people need help.

The early Apostles shared what they had among themselves and it solved the problem on lack

People in desperate need are now looking to the church for help.

But, these our #big_big churches that could help, are still keeping the idea of "SENDING THE MAJOR PARTS OF CHURCH JOY, TO THE​ HEADQUARTERS"
who will help the increasing needy local church member.

I am happy though that some church now is getting the idea of the sense I'm trying to make here.

Ask of OPM,

N/b I am not thier member

1 Like

Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by lagosrd: 7:00am On Sep 15, 2017
kennybabs1980:

It's is their rights Ooooo.
When you start using their money to drive venza all over una go dey like say na you get the money. Go borrow money give them.
Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by ayamprecious: 7:07am On Sep 15, 2017
kennybabs1980:

For a pastor like you, when did Nairaland become a place of solution, so u don't Have God to run to but to a social media site, created by an atheist to ask for opinion

I won't speak ill of you, But u just allowed scavengers to come here n bash Christianity

Trash
Re: Demands For Money And Other Things By Worshippers In My Local Church by babyboom(f): 7:08am On Sep 15, 2017
Hello,Pastor
Please i consider this a learning phase for you
i have some advise though,
1. Please go close to some pastors with rural branches and others too, ( am sure some will have started from rural branches also) to learn how to cope.
2. Speak to the provincial pastor concerning the need not to do returns, i consider this church as starting afresh and there is a 3 year period of no returns for new parishes.
3.Please as much as possible, formulate the policy and make it know to th church, that any one will need will have to be identified throught their house fellowship members a nd they must be workers, thus they will go throught the process of knowing the church's foundational policies. it was until i became a worker that i got to know the returns policies,
outsides do no know this.
4. Please try and give money as a loan to those who come to u for business ideas and do not have capital. this is for workers and full members,
thus some might return some might not.
but the money will be used to do business that might be able to feed the family
anyone that squaders it will not be in a hurry to come for more borrowing,
and the loan might be a capital.

please dont be tired. God will help you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Christianity; The Reason For Science / Prayer Points For The Rescue Of Nigeria - Dr Oyedepo / Rev. Fr. Ejike Mbaka In Subsidy Removal(he Cursed Jonathan)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 128
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.