Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,672 members, 7,809,555 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:12 AM

My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? (29450 Views)

Does Changing A Cars AC Affect Fuel Economy? / How Does One Calculate Fuel Consumption Based On Distance Covered By A Vehicle?? / How To Calculate Fuel Consumption In Your Car Using Innoson G5 As A Case-study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by dedunji: 9:50am On Sep 13, 2017
Have you seen an arrow before ? Do you know y the mouth is pin ,,,? Two wen you look at planes you see the front mouth narrow that's to tell you what' air does ,Air can cus a very big setback to any movement .if u face your umbrella towards breeze you will understand what am trying to say , cars consume fuel wen u are using it on city drive but wen on a high way with AC on it helps the engine to serve you better also reduces the fuel intake .your car SNICK's in trough the air without any hindrance .Am a Meckanic from ghana I study it.
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by AmuDimpka: 9:54am On Sep 13, 2017
positivelord:
Plz I will like to disagree if the AC is factory fitted and the engine is in good condition. no noticeable difference in fuel consumption

Be it factory fitted or industry fitted....it is load on engine....it will be an additional load and it will increase fuel consumption....depending on the engine capacity and the capacity of the compressor that the AC uses...but it must affect consumption

It's simple physics ...why debate this ?

1 Like

Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by kponkedenge(m): 9:56am On Sep 13, 2017
donemitex1:
You mean your AC or Warmer? grin please make sure the knob is turned to cold air that's Blue. If it is and still blows hot, please go and refill your AC gas

Lol. He should also check his compressor if there's still gas in the cylinder.
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by AmuDimpka: 9:56am On Sep 13, 2017
kokostick:
AC Doesn't consume fuel the way ppl think..rather the more weight u put on d car causes the Governor to open the inlet value to allow more petrol into d engine.Although it got it's energy from the alternator but it doesn't consume fuel the way ppl think #when it's moving. .its mechanical#

Most vehicle air conditioners (a/c) require engine power to operate. ... Using the a/c can increase fuel consumption by up to 20% because of the extra load on the engine. The a/c load depends on the vehicle's interior size, the outdoor temperature and other operating conditions.

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/efficiency/transportation/cars-light-trucks/buying/16740
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by AmuDimpka: 9:58am On Sep 13, 2017
The dude is using warmer in Nigeria ...maybe he wants to grill himself....it won't be well for APC

How can he use warmer in Nigeria of all places....is he in Alaska ?

kponkedenge:

Lol. He should also check his compressor if there's still gas in the cylinder.

1 Like

Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by disandat(m): 10:08am On Sep 13, 2017
It does, but the comfort pays you back.
The amount is negligible if your engine is healthy

1 Like

Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by horlakunle25(m): 10:26am On Sep 13, 2017
Ehmmm!! Pls which AC are u talking abt here?? is it AC MILLAN or AC Action Congress??
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by wunmi590(m): 10:30am On Sep 13, 2017
handsomeyinka:

Hello.,,Ac or heat consumes more gas in your car...if the Ac unit of a car is powered by DC (12v),it won't require any gas but when you turn the AC on in your car,it uses energy supplied to it by the alternator.This energy is coming from the engine,which is using the fuel in your gas tank..

Wow, very simple and straightforward explanation.

Thanks
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by wunmi590(m): 10:41am On Sep 13, 2017
Mechanics96:

The car A.C just like the refrigerator consist of the heat exchanger(evaporator) to vapourize the liquid refrigerant, the compressor(pump) to increase the pressure, hence the temperature of the refrigerant, the condenser to condense the gas refrigerant to liquid(at high pressure).
Heat is absorbed from the interior part of the system(car) to convert liquid refrigerant to gas in the heat exchanger and this heat is given off to the surrounding. This is a cycle.
Now, why all this? We should not forget that this A.C system needs power to function, not just the gas(refrigerant). We will liken this to our household refrigerators, they all need alternating current to function! As such, since the car is an electromechanical system, A.C is bound to consume some amount of fuel and increase the specific fluid/fuel consumption(SFC). Although, the fuel consumption is not so pronounced, engine power and efficiency is more important.

Nice explanation, if all lecturers were to be like you, no student would be dull.

Very intelligent explanation

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by Vutseck(m): 10:43am On Sep 13, 2017
policy12:
Someone should please help me, my AC is emitting heat.
insufficient or no gas at all .
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by Vutseck(m): 10:53am On Sep 13, 2017
wunmi590:
With my own little knowledge, I don't think so, because the car A.C, have their own gas cylinder.

I am open to correction.

gas cylinder ? na him they power himself ?

it adds more pressure to the engine which in turn increases fuel consumption
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by handsomeyinka(m): 10:58am On Sep 13, 2017
Ewucanbeer:
Why are you giving wrong info to people? You sir are quack! you have absolutely no knowledge in this issue.
I have important stuffs to do than arguing with you..Come to this address at your leisure time..9325 snowden river pkwy columbia md 21046 (Lincoln institute)..I will teach you what you need to know.
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by geunik(m): 11:04am On Sep 13, 2017
The car AC uses power from the car battery. When your car is going slow on traffic jam with your AC on, or it is parked and engine on with the AC, the battery will be running low. The engine have to rotate more to power the battery to keep your AC going.
On the other hand, when on the high way, the car engine is rotating fast charging your car battery leaving the power consumption of the AC negligible.
After doing pharmacy, am here talking engineering. Na wa for me. What do i know couple with the fact that i do not have a car of my own yet?
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by muller101(m): 11:05am On Sep 13, 2017
wunmi590:
With my own little knowledge, I don't think so, because the car A.C, have their own gas cylinder.

I am open to correction.
the AC compressor is propelled by the engine
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by Livinusc(m): 11:15am On Sep 13, 2017
From my own little idea,i think the car AC uses battery in stead of engine because without battery the car AC can not work even if u start the engine so i think that is the little i can offer.
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by msylva2147(m): 11:26am On Sep 13, 2017
but I was made to understand that Peugeot 406 consumes more fuel when the AC is not on.
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by TayoT: 11:39am On Sep 13, 2017
AmuDimpka:
Compressor puts load on the engine....it's simple physics....the more the load the higher the energy consumption

Just lie when you are in your home....you out AC..you pay higher bill than when you don't ...in car...the bill is fuel

Did you do physics in secondary School at all ?

But very negligible if you have a good engine. It's when the engine is getting weak you even feel change in sound when you put the AC on.
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by olisamedua: 11:41am On Sep 13, 2017
We might also need to consider the aerodynamic drag (ie. air resistance) when the windows are down if you aren't using your ac.
This will add more load to the engine.

See detailed study on this here: http://www.autoglassofamerica.com/maintenance/which-is-more-fuel-efficient-windows-down-or-ac/
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by surveyorng: 11:51am On Sep 13, 2017
hinograce:
What I'm not clear on is whether d effect is on battery or fuel? Does radio n navigation system power from battery or fuel? Since u don't need to turn on d engine for some things to work

Once the engine is set to work after being powered by the battery, everything is on the engine only if the alternator is very efficient. The effect of extra loads is on fuel consumption not on the battery...
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by Ayo8(m): 11:52am On Sep 13, 2017
wunmi590:

I am open to correction.

1 Like

Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by captainking(m): 12:15pm On Sep 13, 2017
bid4rich:
If you are on a traffic and you put on your AC, then your tank will whistle. But if you are on a highway, maybe travelling or driving a long distance with your AC on, it has little or no impact on your tank. I have tried it

The reason being that the same speed it would have cost your AC to run the engine is the same speed the AC is taping from while you are on speed. So from that it has close to Zero impact on your tank But in traffic situation, sorry bro.
. I can relate with your analysis
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by RUDEBOYY(m): 12:43pm On Sep 13, 2017
please does lowering your AC reduce fuel consumption in cars.. cos most ppl like setting their AC level at 1 or middle
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by eodavids(m): 12:48pm On Sep 13, 2017
Cars differ. Peugeot, Mercedes, Toyota, etc. All differs.

The more modern a car, the better in fuel efficiency under AC. But Peugeot is credited with high efficiency so that even under ac use, its less fuel consuming compared to other cars.
406 comes to mind here.
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by clemz85(m): 2:10pm On Sep 13, 2017
Mohwin:
Me and my freinds have had this discussion and we argued. Me i strongly believe that a car's AC has very little to do with the car engine, instead it is keeping the car windows down that causes drag and increase fuel consumption. I have seen people say they cant put on their AC because the car will consume more fuel. So i need more light on this pls.

Let's think like this, the injector nozzle does not expand at any cause, the fuel pump pressure remains stable and is not affected by how engine works, so how on does AC consume fuel?

I am a driver with good maintenance culture, from my experience what consumes fuel has to do with bad plugs and inappropriate revving,

People complain AC Fuel Crack because your stays on more with AC if you are driving around time and encountering hold ups

I stand to be corrected
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by cgun91(m): 2:28pm On Sep 13, 2017
wunmi590:

I am open to correction.

Modified:

Thank you all for the corrections. cool
I support you, a/c need electricity, so how does everything electrical in a car work?
pls correct me if I'm wrong too
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by Dannyonos26: 2:34pm On Sep 13, 2017
With AC on, there is reduced air resistance for the external surrounding. This helps in reducing the opposing force if the car, and in turn saves fuel consumption over a long Distance. As can be seen in the equation F=mg. With g as the acceleration due to gravity.
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by Primenet(m): 3:03pm On Sep 13, 2017
Chikwado1991:
do you know the A.C can't work without the car ignition?
You are very correct.
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by Davidoff2000: 3:07pm On Sep 13, 2017
the compressor on its own is a mini engine..so when AC is on, its like running two engines from the same fuel tank

1 Like

Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by Ewucanbeer: 3:52pm On Sep 13, 2017
I'm i supposed to be impressed? how is the 'kpale' business going? Yea i lived in the US too and went to Caltech BSME.[b][/b]
handsomeyinka:

I have important stuffs to do than arguing with you..Come to this address at your leisure time..9325 snowden river pkwy columbia md 21046 (Lincoln institute)..I will teach you what you need to know.
Re: My People, Does AC Affect Fuel Consumption Of A Car? by AmuDimpka: 5:22pm On Sep 13, 2017
Your correct in terms of air resistance...even of AC isn't on...the windows are closed it will still save....the truth is AC consumes more fuel

Simple physics

Dannyonos26:
With AC on, there is reduced air resistance for the external surrounding. This helps in reducing the opposing force if the car, and in turn saves fuel consumption over a long Distance. As can be seen in the equation F=mg. With g as the acceleration due to gravity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Spotted Using Palm Oil As Lubricant For His Motorcycle / Are These The Weirdest Gear Shifts Ever? / What's The Highest Speed You Did Or Experienced While Travelling?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.