Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,565 members, 7,820,038 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:54 AM

Purchasing A New Kia Rio - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Purchasing A New Kia Rio (17960 Views)

Need Advice As Regards Purchasing A Lexus RX 300 / Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 / Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Purchasing A New Kia Rio by easterbabe(f): 7:37pm On Feb 28, 2010
I'm a lady who's planning to buy a new car and needs some well informed info on the KIA RIO.I dont intend going on long journeys.
Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by 190: 10:47am On Mar 01, 2010
dnt bother the car is USELESS

1 Like

Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by abhosts(m): 4:55pm On Mar 02, 2010
190:

Please backup your assertion with facts.

5 Likes

Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by btlasisi(m): 5:53pm On Mar 02, 2010
My brother bought one recently and i was highly disappointed that all the necessary safety features associated with modern cars are not included (eg air bags and others).

For me ohh, i will not invest my hard earned money on such car

1 Like

Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by KunleA2(m): 6:00pm On Mar 02, 2010
190:

abhosts:

Please backup your assertion with facts.

btlasisi:

My brother bought one recently and i was highly disappointed that all the necessary safety features associated with modern cars are not included (eg air bags and others).

For me ohh, i will not invest my hard earned money on such car

i hope ur questions are answered undecided
Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by Fhemmmy: 6:33pm On Mar 02, 2010
I think all the negative things being said about Kia Rio is another testimony of what i have always said, that rides sold in Nigeria are junks and substandard.
Here is a rating for a standard Kia Rio 2010 Model

Rio Performance - 7.0 (Good)
The 2010 Kia Rio is worth a test drive if you need a commuter car with good gas mileage. Consumer Guide says, "Urban-friendly size is abetted by quick and accurate steering. SX models feel almost sporty, but fall short of the mark due to weak low-end power and wimpy tires. All Rios have moderate cornering lean." Still, some reviewers complain of poor acceleration and engine noise. Read More

Rio Exterior - 8.4 (Very Good)
For 2010, the Kia Rio gets a few minor appearance updates that are well-received by reviewers. New Car Test Drive says: "There is nothing wimpy looking about either of the Kia Rio models. Both share a solidly handsome front end with a strong nose and big headlights that give the car a purposeful appearance. The subtle bevel below the big side windows wraps neatly around the trunk, giving the Rio more the look of a European sports sedan than a Korean econobox." Read More

Rio Interior - 7.3 (Good)
The 2010 Kia Rio has an acceptable interior for the Affordable Small Car class, but it has some drawbacks and is easily forgettable. Although the overall layout of the dash is well-received by reviewers, they comment negatively on the Rio’s low-grade materials, cramped seating and Spartan cabin. Read More

Rio Safety - 8.4 (Very Good)
The 2010 Kia Rio earns mixed safety scores in government and insurance industry crash tests. Auto writers are pleased that the Rio comes standard with six airbags and offers excellent rear visibility. Still, the fact that anti-lock brakes are unavailable on the base model and only optional on the other trims is a drawback. Read More

Rio Reliability - 6.0 (Mediocre)
The 2010 Kia Rio reliability score shown is the Predicted Reliability rating provided by J.D. Power and Associates. This score is based on trending the past three years of historical initial quality and dependability data from J.D. Power's automotive studies, specifically the Vehicle Dependability Study (VDS) and the Initial Quality Study (IQS). The 2010 Rio's basic warranty is good for the first five years or 60,000 miles

I am not saying it is the best ride, but it should not be as bad as we have labelled it either.
Like someone said it does not have airbag, except if the ones in Nigeria does not have it, but normal Rio do have 2 airbags . . . .though, they could have use more, but at least it does have it.
Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by 190: 7:06pm On Mar 02, 2010
^^

and how much is the 2010 rio~
Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by Fhemmmy: 7:17pm On Mar 02, 2010
190:

^^

and how much is the 2010 rio~

With less than 3M naira, we can get you a 2010 Kia Rio . . . . .Brand New ( Tear Rubber)
. . . . . . Will come with all features that will not be like the box on wheels that are being offered in Nigeria.
Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by blosomy(f): 5:48pm On Mar 03, 2010
@ Fhemmy,
my next car will definitely be a Tear rubber, did I hear an AMEN, MMHH.
Will call you then to transact. did not know you deal on that.
Thanks man.
Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by Fhemmmy: 5:53pm On Mar 03, 2010
blosomy:

@ Fhemmy,
my next car will definitely be a Tear rubber, did I hear an AMEN, MMHH.
Will call you then to transact. did not know you deal on that.
Thanks man.

We deal in anything that can be transported LEGALLY from USA and other North America countries to Nigeria.
So Amen to your prayer, and just as you have said, so shall it be.
Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by indie22(f): 7:55pm On Mar 03, 2010
@ poster, if u want a Kia Rio that comes with the 3 year/ 100000km warranty backed up by the manufacturers as well as a comprehensive 15months/15000km free service offered, I suggest you by your car from an accredited dealership. Dana motors have 22 sales and service centres as well as up to date spareparts centers all over nigeria. It should be pretty easy. The Kia Rio 1.4L (2010 model), is economical, affordable and fuel efficient. Its a vehicle with great value at a great price, If you're interested in the Rio or any of our other models, pls call cynthia @ kia motors on 07084911145 or 07029322474. Prices range btw 1.674 m naira and 2.250m naira, depending on the specifications and features, cheers!
Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by KunleA2(m): 8:07pm On Mar 03, 2010
indie22:

@ poster, if u want a Kia Rio that comes with the 3 year/ 100000km warranty backed up by the manufacturers as well as a comprehensive 15months/15000km free service offered, I suggest you by your car from an accredited dealership. Dana motors have 22 sales and service centres as well as up to date spareparts centers all over nigeria. It should be pretty easy. The Kia Rio 1.4L (2010 model), is economical, affordable and fuel efficient. Its a vehicle with great value at a great price, If you're interested in the Rio or any of our other models, pls call cynthia @ kia motors on 07084911145 or 07029322474. Prices range btw 1.674 m naira and 2.250m naira, depending on the specifications and features, cheers!

How much is the Kia Soul going for in Nigeria pls?
Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by indie22(f): 8:21pm On Mar 03, 2010
The Kia Soul manual is 2.395m naira, while the auto transmission is 2.808m naira, cheers!
Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by KunleA2(m): 8:34pm On Mar 03, 2010
thanks
Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by Fhemmmy: 8:42pm On Mar 03, 2010
indie22:

The Kia Soul manual is 2.395m naira, while the auto transmission is 2.808m naira, cheers!

Are those with Zero mileage?
Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by indie22(f): 8:49pm On Mar 03, 2010
Yep! All spanking brand new with 0 to 30km mileage, if u add the journey from the warehouse to the showroom,
Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by Fhemmmy: 9:03pm On Mar 03, 2010
Good job . . . . .
Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by btlasisi(m): 7:47am On Mar 04, 2010

@indie22, i do not intend to spoil your market.  Out of the above quoted prices, which one comes with full safety features as i alleged in my ealier post.  I have confirmed feelings that Nigerian dealers are always selling stripped versions of cars to us at a ridiculous prices in Nigeria. If you want more clarification  i can susubstantiate. I stand to be corrected.
Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by ucheo: 8:23am On Mar 04, 2010
Kunle A and Tbiasi wht r ur basis of saying d car is useless.?
Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by indie22(f): 9:12am On Mar 04, 2010
btlasisi:

@indie22, i do not intend to spoil your market. Out of the above quoted prices, which one comes with full safety features as i alleged in my ealier post. I have confirmed feelings that Nigerian dealers are always selling stripped versions of cars to us at a ridiculous prices in Nigeria. If you want more clarification i can susubstantiate. I stand to be corrected.
People buy Kia vehicles because they are affordable and economical, now in ordering these vehicles price is a huge consideration, cars like the rio and picanto do not come with airbags because this would drive up the prices, instead or airbags they cars are ordered with seatbelts that come with pretensioners, that lock you back into the seat in the case of an impact, Kia has come a long way, comparing the kias of years before you would see a huge advancement, The vehicles ordered for the nigerian market cannot be compared with the ones you see in america because a lot of factors are considered, which the most important one is PRICE, If we order airbags in rio and ask you to buy it for 2.8m naira, you go gree?

P.s: Other than the picanto and rio, all the other models come with at least dual airbags and a whole lot of other safety features too
Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by Onwan: 10:48am On Mar 04, 2010
@Poster
Except you are stuck with some kind of financing/mortgage that specifies you MUST buy a Kia Rio for over 2M, I will suggest you use that same budget to get yourself a very practical and useful ride.

You should go for something like a very low mileage 06/07/08 Honda Accord or an 05/06/07 Rav4.

We had a visitor once that came in one of those Kia things in December; it was actually a 2009 model with the rubber covers and all still on. Going back, the car refused to start, we tried everything, it just wouldn't start. We then called a rewire to see what he would do (It happened on a Sunday and the DANA people were not at work), the guy opened the bonnet and most of the parts he was looking at were all labeled "Made in China". The car had to stay for the night for the Dana tech people.

That thing is crap.
Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by indie22(f): 11:37am On Mar 04, 2010
@onwan, you just told a big fat lie!, Have you even ever owned, driven or even bought the brand before.?, Now pple dat knw about cars, know that car spare parts do not come from one single source or one single country, although kia and huyndai are south korean brands, their spare parts suppliers come from all over the place and thesame goes for toyota or any other brand, I can confidently tell you right now, that its is impossible to open the bonnet and find "made in china" all over the engine parts of a rio, as you have claimed, You might not like the brand, cant fault you there, but i know a lot of people that have bought, own the brand and are quite happy and satisfied, The fact that someone u knw bought one and it wouldnt start, doesnt make the brand useless, thesame can happen to any brand, especially if the car has been fitted with a tracking device, which in dat case is not the manufacturer's fault, cheers!

1 Like

Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by Onwan: 11:45am On Mar 04, 2010
@Indie
I am being very sincere here and I remember it very clearly, there was no tracking device, plus I had to get them a rewire living close by.

My take was the Alternator and sensor - The DANA mechanic they called asked them to check the sensor and he described it was close to the alternator - My rewire had to remove the air-flow assembly and some other things tin order to reach the sensor - All those parts were labelled China.

I do not own one (I would not anyways). But with that experience from a 2009 vehicle with all the plastic covers still intact - I would not advice anyone to buy it. Especially when an average mechanic on the road doesnt know anything about it.

I would still advise the poster to go for a low mileage Tokumbo Honda or Rav4

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by indie22(f): 11:50am On Mar 04, 2010
Oh, a tokunboh! Alright then, whatever you say mate!
Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by Fhemmmy: 1:26pm On Mar 04, 2010
indie22:

People buy Kia vehicles because they are affordable and economical, now in ordering these vehicles price is a huge consideration, cars like the rio and picanto do not come with airbags because this would drive up the prices, instead or airbags they cars are ordered with seatbelts that come with pretensioners, that lock you back into the seat in the case of an impact, Kia has come a long way, comparing the kias of years before you would see a huge advancement, The vehicles ordered for the nigerian market cannot be compared with the ones you see in america because a lot of factors are considered, which the most important one is PRICE, If we order airbags in rio and ask you to buy it for 2.8m naira, you go gree?

P.s: Other than the picanto and rio, all the other models come with at least dual airbags and a whole lot of other safety features too

How come the American and Canadian ones has airbags and other safety features.
Why should someone buy a car with almost 3M naira and yet no safety at all?

Check out the posted 2007 Kia Rio, listed below are some the features:

Front Wheel Drive, Tires - Front All-Season, Tires - Rear All-Season, Steel Wheels, Front Disc/Rear Drum Brakes, Auto-Off Headlights, Intermittent Wipers, Variable Speed Intermittent Wipers, Bucket Seats, Cloth Seats, Auxiliary Pwr Outlet, Rear Defrost, Driver Vanity Mirror, Passenger Vanity Mirror, Side Air Bag, Side Head Air Bag, Rear Head Air Bag, Child Safety Locks, Emergency Trunk Release

So now would it be fair to say that Kia in Nigeria is selling a sub-standard Cars to the people, how could they sell something without safety all cos people wanted affordable cars, that is like saying, i will sell a car without a break to someone, cos he cant afford something better.

Although, i think if this is true, then, the govt is what we need to hold responsible.

Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by Fhemmmy: 1:28pm On Mar 04, 2010
This is a 2007 Kia Rio with less than 60K Miles and with all safety, and can be owned by someone at a cheap cost of 1.5M Naira . . . . .

Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by easterbabe(f): 6:26pm On Mar 05, 2010
Phemmy,so how can i get to see this KIA RIO?
Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by Fhemmmy: 6:48pm On Mar 05, 2010
easterbabe:

Phemmy,so how can i get to see this KIA RIO?

Hello Ma . . . . On this kind of rides, the best we do is a Pre-Order.
You tell us what you want, we source it.
Send you pictures of it.
We agree on a price.
You meet with our representative in Nigeria, We sign documents and we are both binding by it.
You make a deposit as agreed.
We buy the car.
We ship the car.
You inspect the car in Nija and once you are happen, You pay the balance and we wash am with champagne or MOET

Femmmy.moto@gmail.com is the mail for more info or concerns
Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by indie22(f): 12:28pm On Mar 09, 2010
hey!

If you want to purchase a Kia Rio, that you can pick up on thesame week of payment, why not just buy from kia motors, great prices between 1.674m and 2.250m naira, depending on the features and specs and of course the 15mths/ 15,000km free comprehensive servicing and 3 years/ 100,000km manufacturers warranty, call CYNTHIA AT KIA MOTORS ON 07084911145 OR 07029322474, CHEERS
Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by KOMBE: 12:16pm On Jan 01, 2012
Madam,

Please don't let anyone deceive you to buy a tokumbo car, a brand new Kia Rio will serve you for at least 7 years. You will not go through the stress of fighting with mechanics all the time. A friend bought Kia Cerato 5 years ago and no problem since then. ALL THE BEST.

1 Like

Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by nissparts(m): 12:46pm On Jan 01, 2012
I'm seeing a lot of these posts come up recently and I had intended not to voice my opinion if not for the recent frequency of such threads.
It amazes me to see folks advise someone to buy a tokunbo instead of a brand new vehicle (even if it's a Kia)
Every car model has flaws even off the assembly line but I dare say that the korean auto makers have made huge strides in their line up and it makes no sense whatsoever to advice a female to buy a used VW GOLF shocked instead of a Rio as I saw in one of the threads.
In this thread, what is the major issue complained about? Airbags!! I laugh
In the other instance, a poster mentioned a situation where a user's car did not start. I have seen brand new Nissans require engine replacements before clocking 5000 miles just as Toyotas can suffer such fates.

I have never used a Kia but my wife drives an 08 Elantra, and till date it is the most reliable car I have ever seen.

We all have different individual requirements which affect our choice in car purchases but the paramount thing to consider when giving advice of this nature is not to base it on your requirements nor the Nigerian element of "Only Toyotas and Hondas pass" BUT to take into consideration what will truly be best for the OP in which case I retort once again that NO USED VEHICLE IS BETTER THAN A NEW VEHICLE (EVEN IF IT'S A KIA) FOR A FEMALE IN NIGERIA

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purchasing A New Kia Rio by Nicols(m): 4:41pm On Jan 01, 2012
@ Nissparts,
That's the only honest and unbiased response I've seen on this thread.

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Best Selling Cars Of All Time - All Still In Production / Hyundai's Unveils First Mass-Produced Electric Bus "Elec City" / Picture of your Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.