Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese (17093 Views)

Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 / I Need Good Used Japanese Car. / Purchasing A New Kia Rio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Connoisseur(m): 4:03am On Nov 19, 2009
Am thinking of buying a car this season but am a bit confused. I really want a brand new car cos my present car (used benz190) really gave me problems, but cant afford a new camry or civic. That forms my decision for a kia. Which of these will be better; new kia or used camry in terms of cost effectiveness, economy and maintenance. I want ur opinion pls.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Nobody: 11:43am On Nov 19, 2009
My opinion?

Stick with a used Japanese model. The Korean models new may be cheaper, or similarly priced to a 5 year old Japanese car, but the Japanese car will be best in the long run. Your Korean model will be worth very little, come resale time.

Unless you're afflicted with "tear rubber" culture, there's no real need to go for a brand new Korean car. Lastly, a brand new car does not necessarily mean trouble-free motoring. That's usually a factor that comes in with your choice of mechanic.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by koolchicco: 1:17pm On Nov 19, 2009
A used carmy is obviously cheaper than a new 'tear rubber' Kia.

I'd go for a tear rubber Kia if I have the money, unless you're looking 4 a car to use till thy kingdom come.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Rothstein: 1:20pm On Nov 19, 2009
Gbam! you said it all a well used honda EOD 2003(no accident) is better than kia cerato 2009. Experience is a better teacher.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by arsenal4va(m): 1:30pm On Nov 19, 2009
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by beknown(m): 1:34pm On Nov 19, 2009
I will recommend used Japanese car against new Kia, any time and any day.

A new Kia may look good from first day, it cannot resist stress and will breakdown quickly. Constant long journeys kills Kia quicker.

A Japanese car (Toyota, Honda, Mazda, etc) of less than 8 years old will still perform well and resist any stress. It is reliable for constant long journeys.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by sandee575(f): 1:48pm On Nov 19, 2009
I will always advise anybody to buy a new car because they give no trouble for
years if serviced as scheduled by the manufacturer. KIA cars are much improved
and are coming ever closer to the Japanese cars technologically. Used cars carry
that risk that you dont have to worry about when buying new with warranty. If you
have enough money for a new car, please dont hesitate. New is cool.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Pyramid001: 1:58pm On Nov 19, 2009
I have a 'tear nylon' hyundai sonata and a tokunbo 05/06 honda EOD. To be sincere with you, the drive is same. Same comfort, same feeling, same security features, same fuel efficiency. For now i've not spent much money on any of them(apart from servicing though i had an accident with the Sonata but its back on road) and from my small experience with the korean car they are as good as the japanese car as long as you can maintain it. From my opinion, the likes of honda and toyota have just made name for their brand; performance is mainly same. Not sure if Kia and hyundai is same in terms of performance though.

2 Likes

Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by ogb5(m): 2:01pm On Nov 19, 2009
A new kia is better than a used japanese car. a new car gives you an trouble free assurance you can not get from a used car.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by rickie4us(m): 2:05pm On Nov 19, 2009
koolchicco:

A used carmy is obviously cheaper than a new 'tear rubber' Kia.

I'd go for a tear rubber Kia if I have the money, unless you're looking 4 a car to use till thy kingdom come.

I support you jare , some people want a car they can use till thy kingdom come, a brand new car anytime any day is better than used ,
at least, the brand new car comes with a warranty period
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by koolchicco: 2:41pm On Nov 19, 2009
rickie4us:

I support you jare , some people want a car they can use till thy kingdom come, a brand new car anytime any day is better than used ,
at least, the brand new car comes with a warranty period

Another vital point, I missed that tho.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by dfanthom(m): 2:44pm On Nov 19, 2009
NEW IS BEST! even though not always the case of ''a livin' dog is better than a dead lion''.

i candidly advise that depending on your funds, a new KIA is not that bad cos when you'd want to sell in some years time, of cousr by then it's 2nd-hand value would have been well established.

na you hold knife & yam! cheers!!
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Nobody: 2:55pm On Nov 19, 2009
@ op. are you in lagos?

how long do you think the kia will fare under the horrors of lagos roads?

a brand new kia is ok in the us/uk vs a used toyota

but in naija, and lagos in particular - how many lagos floods will your kia go through before it kaputs ?
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Breed(m): 3:09pm On Nov 19, 2009
oyb:

@ op. are you in lagos?

how long do you think the kia will fare under the horrors of lagos roads?

a brand new kia is ok in the us/uk vs a used toyota

but in naija, and lagos in particular - how many lagos floods will your kia go through before it kaputs ?

I have used a Kia Cerato for the past 3 years and it is still going very strong Lagos floods, Ore - Benin road and all.

Kia has come a long way and unless you want the bigger engine size and room in the Camry, I'd say go Kia or Elantra. (Same thing)
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by airzzee(m): 3:32pm On Nov 19, 2009
I DONT KNOW WHY NIGERIANS LIKE TO SUFFER & HATE COMFORT.

YOU CAN NEVER COMPARE A BRAND NEW CAR WITH ANY TOKUNBO ANYWHERE - NO MATTER THE TYPE. I USE A KOREAN CAR. PERFECT, WONDERFUL. OVER A YEAR NOW, NO STORIES - NOT EVEN FLAT TYRE; NO NOISE, CONFIDENCE.

BROTHER, LET NO ONE DECEIVE YOU, TRY & BREATHE SOME AIR OF FREEDOM FROM INCARCERATION. THERE IS NO CAR AS BRAND NEW. SAM SAM!
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by swezenberg(m): 4:01pm On Nov 19, 2009
Where do people even get their facts from. Pluto or where? Who told them that a kia products breakdown after travelling long distance. That is a big lie. I use a kia Rio and it has withstood the very bad road that leads to my house for almost one year and still looking new. Apart from the warranty I have never replaced any part. It is the water that came with it in the radiator that is still in it. Many toks that were bought by my colleagus have suffered one cholera and the other.

I have a company beside my office that uses Kia products as official and from my conversation with some of their drivers. You will never believe it when someone tells you those cars are three years old.

Pple should stop misleading others. By the way how many broken down Picantos have you seen on Lagos roads? This is the least of the kia products and many rubbished it when it came to the market. Nigerians and unfounded and baseless rumours

5 Likes

Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by DOAweb(m): 4:25pm On Nov 19, 2009
swezenberg:

Where do people even get their facts from. Pluto or where? Who told them that a kia products breakdown after travelling long distance. That is a big lie. I use a kia Rio and it has withstood the very bad road that leads to my house for almost one year and still looking new. Apart from the warranty I have never replaced any part. It is the water that came with it in the radiator that is still in it. Many toks that were bought by my colleagus have suffered one cholera and the other.

I have a company beside my office that uses Kia products as official and from my conversation with some of their drivers. You will never believe it when someone tells you those cars are three years old.

Pple should stop misleading others. By the way how many broken down Picantos have you seen on Lagos roads? This is the least of the kia products and many rubbished it when it came to the market. Nigerians and unfounded and baseless rumours

Totally agree with you mate - naijas with their crappy analysis - comparing a brand new product to a used one!! Would you compare a fresh sweet 16 girly with a used one ? Hey, would you?
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by akinalabi(m): 4:32pm On Nov 19, 2009
swezenberg:

Where do people even get their facts from. Pluto or where? Who told them that a kia products breakdown after travelling long distance. That is a big lie.

Thanks jare. I laughed when I read the post as well. Baseless assumptions.

@ OP,

It depends on the age and model of the used Japanese car. Personally, I own a brand new Cerato and its lovely. I own a used Japanese car as well but I prefer my Cerato anyday.

If you do not want to visit the mechanic AT ALL for ANY reason, I suggest you go for the KIA. No matter how clean a tokunbo car is, you will still have to fix one or two things.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Nobody: 4:41pm On Nov 19, 2009
New does not guarantee nothing in Naija.

Bought a brand new Peugeot 206 in 2003, some months after it entered the Nigerian market.
Car developed a problem after 6months.

Even though it was under warranty, still had to spend like 50grand to 'buy the parts from France' according to PAN.
Was told i would have paid far more if not for the warranty.

Not saying brand new ain't good,
However, brand new doesn't mean problem-free always.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by akinalabi(m): 5:05pm On Nov 19, 2009
BlueDiva:

New does not guarantee nothing in Naija.

Bought a brand new Peugeot 206 in 2003, some months after it entered the Nigerian market.
Car developed a problem after 6months.

Even though it was under warranty, still had to spend like 50grand to 'buy the parts from France' according to PAN.
Was told i would have paid far more if not for the warranty.

Not saying brand new ain't good,
However, brand new doesn't mean problem-free always.

That's strange because warranties should normally cover ALL mechanical faults. I've activated a warranty before and even though the staff were making funny statements about paying some stuffs, I stood my ground and paid nothing.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by octar6: 5:30pm On Nov 19, 2009
my guy,if u can afford it,get ur self a brand new kia.and know that come rain or sun it will stand be there 4 u. 100percent fuel economy,no mecahnic wahala 4 a long time.inshort u wont regret it at all. abi na d ac chillings? everything is perfect 2 suit u,believe its d best.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Nobody: 6:15pm On Nov 19, 2009
akinalabi:

That's strange because warranties should normally cover ALL mechanical faults. I've activated a warranty before and even though the staff were making funny statements about paying some stuffs, I stood my ground and paid nothing.

Maybe i didn't stand my ground.
Just wanted my car back on the road.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by mrofficial(m): 6:26pm On Nov 19, 2009
[size=15pt]Toyota again?[/size]

The tokunbo is now being compared with new car.

Mchewww.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by hax: 6:41pm On Nov 19, 2009
If you can afford it, go for the Cerato.
Kia services free for a while, I think. It seems reliable, and used cars always seem to be sold for a reason, and not always because the former owner has hammered and hummer has landed, but because they develop faults. Kia's known for being a little reliable, it might not be Toyota, but it's still good. And definitely better than a used Accord, imo. And the new Cerato's quite sexy. I'd definitely pick the new Cerato though. You're talking about the 2009 Cerato, right?
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by mekattack(m): 7:07pm On Nov 19, 2009
Go 4 a new ride if u can have a heart seeing it bounce in and out of potholes or is it death-holes!! grin

1 Like

Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by SwaggaCob(m): 7:20pm On Nov 19, 2009
***God provide a good car for me so that i can join in such discussions come next year *** Can I hear u say Amen ?

1 Like

Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Nobody: 7:37pm On Nov 19, 2009
New isn't always better.

The Japanese cars are well proven - the fact late '70's cars are still on Nigerian roads proves this. Old Datsun Sunny's and the rest are still used as taxis, as they have most of their working life.

Would you compare a brand new Kia with a 5-year-old Mercedes, BMW, Audi or Jaguar? These cars are built with mega mileage in mind, I can't honestly see the Kia racking up 250,000+ miles, whereas the other examples I've listed clearly would.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by koolchicco: 7:49pm On Nov 19, 2009
SwaggaCob:

***God provide a good car for me so that i can join in such discussions come next year *** Can I hear u say Amen ?

A Big Fat[b] AMEN![/b] cheesy
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by akinalabi(m): 7:59pm On Nov 19, 2009
Siena:

New isn't always better.

The Japanese cars are well proven - the fact late '70's cars are still on Nigerian roads proves this. Old Datsun Sunny's and the rest are still used as taxis, as they have most of their working life.

Would you compare a brand new Kia with a 5-year-old Mercedes, BMW, Audi or Jaguar? These cars are built with mega mileage in mind, I can't honestly see the Kia racking up 250,000+ miles, whereas the other examples I've listed clearly would.

Siena, I respect every word you utter about cars but this is no technical matter. I dont need a car that can last for donkey years. I need a car that can serve me with peace of mind for a few years.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by aktunde(m): 8:00pm On Nov 19, 2009
I have no reason to tell lies here. I have used Tokunbo cars before and I currently drive a brand new Kia Cerato. Except if you just want to "feel among" those using big cars, a brand new KIA Cerato is far better than any Tokunbo Honda or Toyota of 2004 and below. Depending on the Millage, the physical condition of the car and the car history, a Tokunbo Honda or Toyota of 2005 and above might even be more expensive than a brand new Kia cerato. If I am to pay equal price for a brand new Kia Cerato and Honda/Toyota of 2004 and below, I would always go for the New Kia Cerato.

I used to condemn KIA products too. But I later knew I was wrong. I have been driving one KIA Cerato for the past three months. Honestly, there is a far cry between a new and used vehicle. If you think that three months is too short to determine the reliability or durability of the car, well its your own opinion. But honestly, I have an Uncle who had been driving his own from LAGOS to ABUJA for about for the 4th year now. If his 2004 model can  serve him this long, I expect more from the 2009 because it has been improved a lot. He makes this trip every week. If you see the milage, you would open your mouth. Yet the car is still running smooth.

If you can find out, most of those condemning KIA has never used it before. Not all, but some are talking from what they always hear from people. Often times, most mechanics would discourage you because they are not familiar with it. You should also not expect any Tokunbo dealer to tell you that Kia is good. Telling you that, means he is personally running his own business down. You can only get an unbiased advice from those who have used brand new Kia and the popular tokunbo cars on the street. I have used Tokunbo and a new car, so I know what it means. The exterior is great, but you you can never compare the interior with Honda baby boy 2000 model or Camry 2000. The interior is of low quality and has less "effizy"compared to those ones. Better still, if you want to be free from Auto-mechanics, rewires, AC technicians for the next 3-5 years, please go for the brand new Kia Cerato.

Goodluck.

1 Like

Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by akinalabi(m): 8:11pm On Nov 19, 2009
aktunde:

I have no reason to tell lies here. I have used Tokunbo cars before and I currently drive a brand new Kia Cerato. Except if you just want to "feel among" those using big cars, a brand new KIA Cerato is far better than any Tokunbo Honda or Toyota of 2004 and below. Depending on the Millage, the physical condition of the car and the car history, a Tokunbo Honda or Toyota of 2005 and above might even be more expensive than a brand new Kia cerato. If I am to pay equal price for a brand new Kia Cerato and Honda/Toyota of 2004 and below, I would always go for the New Kia Cerato.

We have the same experience. I've used Japanese tokunbo cars for years but my peace of mind started when I started using new cars.

aktunde:

I used to condemn KIA products too. But I later knew I was wrong. I have been driving one KIA Cerato for the past three months. Honestly, there is a far cry between a new and used vehicle. If you think that three months is too short to determine the reliability or durability of the car, well its your own opinion. But honestly, I have an Uncle who had been driving his own from LAGOS to ABUJA for about for the 4th year now. If his 2004 model can serve him this long, I expect more from the 2009 because it has been improved a lot. He makes this trip every week. If you see the milage, you would open your mouth. Yet the car is still running smooth.

I remember my dad, his friends and my uncles used to say they can never use Japanese cars like Honda that they were not strong enough. They would only use Benz, Peaugeot, Volvo etc. That is what we say today about KIA

aktunde:

Better still, if you want to be free from Auto-mechanics, rewires, AC technicians for the next 3-5 years, please go for the brand new Kia Cerato.

That is the biggest issue for me. I used to know all the mechanics, rewires etc in town. When I switched to new, I deleted ALL their numbers.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by swezenberg(m): 8:25pm On Nov 19, 2009
Pls if you have used a kia Rio before and this is not true you can prove me wrong. A kia rio does not use half its 40-litre tank to travel through and fro Lagos-Ibadan. It uses less than 20 litre on a day with less traffic. Pls if you have not tried this try it today. I have given lots of doubting Thomases a ride to prove this. Watch Kia's advert lots of emphasis are laid on the fuel economy and effeciency.

For your information lots of Exxonmobil staff use Kia. I did my IT there some years back and they even give kia cars to their staff during their Auction. This might have changed anyway.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Much Do You Spend On Transportation Daily? / Trailer Crushes Pregnant Woman, 3 Others In Delta State / Kawasaki Reveals Futuristic Superbike With Incredible Shape-shifting Tech

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.