Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,063 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:34 AM

Facts About NAIRALAND And Its Owner (PHOTOS included) - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Facts About NAIRALAND And Its Owner (PHOTOS included) (3004 Views)

List 5 Weird Facts About You / Folakemigeh Is An Impersonator: Facts Are Here (A Picture Included) / Gone Are The Days.. When Men Were Boys... Pictures Included (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facts About NAIRALAND And Its Owner (PHOTOS included) by dejt4u(m): 10:47pm On Sep 17, 2017
Nairaland is an online community created by
Seun Osewa in March 2005. It is targeted at
Nigerians.

Nairaland currently has over 1,879,697 registered accounts (September 2017), and is ranked as the 10th most visited site in Nigeria (and the most visited indigenous site) according to Alexa.com .

Nairaland reportedly has over 55 million Internet users, corresponding to 32.9% of the entire population. With Nairaland having a considerable but unconfirmed number of users based in diaspora, this statistic suggests that a maximum 3% of Nigerian Internet users are registered on Nairaland compared to Facebook's 11 million Nigerian users which corresponds to approximately 20% of the Internet population. Nairaland, however, does have a considerable number of unregistered users, as registration is only necessary for posting.

Figures published by Nairaland in June 2013 suggest that they had 16,668,654 visits from 6,845,453 unique visitors and 60,031,356 pageviews in the 30 days of that month.

2014 down period

Following a successful hacking attempt, Nairaland went offline briefly on the 22 June 2014. The hackers were able to get access to the website's host server and backup, and maliciously deleted all its content. Three days later, it was back online after some data had been recovered from a remote backup.

However, data from 10 January 2014 through the date of the attack was lost. Nairaland was stripped off its position as Nigeria and Africa's most visited website a ranking by Alexa. Nairaland's position was taken by e-commerce site "jumia" which rose a lot of issues in February 2015.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nairaland

lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Facts About NAIRALAND And Its Owner (PHOTOS included) by dejt4u(m): 10:47pm On Sep 17, 2017
Who is Seun Osewa (nairaland CEO)?

Seun was born some 35 years ago.
He is an indigene of Ogun state (this state has more firsts than any other state in Nigeria: Abiola, Obasanjo, Awolowo, Soyinka, wetin sef?).

He lives in Ogun state and has refused to move to Lagos, the “happening capital” of
Nigeria.

Seun Osewa was brought up as a Christian but now identifies as an Atheist

Mark Zuckerberg and Bill Gates dropped out of Harvard to pursue their interests (Facebook and Microsoft), Seun also enrolled as a student of Obafemi Awolowo University (oops, Great Ife, we rule! yes, we rule grin) to study electrical engineering in 1998, but he did not finish. No, he wasn’t rusticated. Too brilliant to be. But an account has it that he left to do the “Bill Gates” thing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seun_Osewa

http://www.jarushub.com/from-fun-to-millions-how-seun-osewa-built-a-multi-million-dollar-online-venture-with-nairaland/

lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Facts About NAIRALAND And Its Owner (PHOTOS included) by dejt4u(m): 10:54pm On Sep 17, 2017
In a 2006 interview he granted, Seun Osewa narrated how all his businesses before Nairaland failed

"All my business projects before Nairaland were failures, except the one that became Nairaland. My web hosting business failed after just 3 months because I ran out of money, while I couldn’t execute many other projects I researched due to shyness and lack of capital. My blogs and the mobile phone forum that preceded Nairaland were successful but not profitable. However, it was on that foundation that Nairaland was built.”

http://www.jarushub.com/from-fun-to-millions-how-seun-osewa-built-a-multi-million-dollar-online-venture-with-nairaland/

1 Like

Re: Facts About NAIRALAND And Its Owner (PHOTOS included) by AloyalNigerian(m): 10:56pm On Sep 17, 2017
Following
Re: Facts About NAIRALAND And Its Owner (PHOTOS included) by dejt4u(m): 11:00pm On Sep 17, 2017
So how did he hit the Nairaland jackpot?

How did this young man, who was just around 22-23 years then, think of starting a forum that will later become Africa’s numero uno? Let’s hear from the horse’s mouth:

“About 2 years earlier (2003) I had attempted to start a web hosting business, but after 3 months I could only boast of one customer, so I ran out of capital and the business died. It would probably have succeeded if I had managed my capital more wisely or raised more money as I got many hosting requests I couldn’t satisfy later that year.

After that first failure, I was encouraged to get certifications and a regular job, but I couldn’t go back to that kind of path after tasting creative freedom, so I kept researching business ideas and presenting them to friends and family, but no capital was forthcoming to carry any of them out. I did this for less than 2 years. (The last idea was a site for sending SMS messages. I picked up Python to implement it.)

Eventually, I decided to start a web forum, because it was the only idea that required no additional capital: I already had Internet access and a $15 per month VPS graciously paid for by a family friend. I created 3 forums in November 2003 (one for higher institution students, one for IT discussions, and one to cover the emerging GSM industry; the Mobile Nigeria Forum at MobileNigeria.com).

The Mobile Nigeria Forum took off, so I relaunched it in February 2005 with the assistance of Mr. John Sagai Adams, who posted a link to the forum on his mailing list and participated enthusiastically in those early days. Other mobile enthusiasts like Mr. Yomi Adegboye pitched in to make the site a success. In a month or so, the forum had about 300 members, but the growth potential didn’t satisfy me.

I decided to start Nairaland when I noticed two odd things about MobileNigeria:

(1) Despite its narrow focus, it was the only Nigerian community that gave a voice to Nigerians at home. Most other Nigerian sites were owned and dominated by Nigerians in the US or UK. They covered only issues of interests to Nigerians abroad.

(2) The off topic section of the forum, covering topics outside telecoms, like romance and jokes, was becoming more vibrant than the Mobile Nigeria Forum itself, suggesting the need for a more general-purpose Nigerian forum.

This gave me the confidence to take forums like Naijaryders and Talknaija head on by starting a general purpose discussion forum with a strong bias towards issues of interest to Nigerians at home. I felt that such a site could attract enough traffic to make enough money from Google adverts. That’s why I started the Nairaland Forum.” (CP-AFRICA.COM)

where is lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Facts About NAIRALAND And Its Owner (PHOTOS included) by fistonati(m): 11:02pm On Sep 17, 2017
But nairaland has failed to upgrade it's operations, maybe the owner is okay with the money coming in through adverts but am sure if the needed turn around is considered the site will make triple of its present income.

as big as Facebook is the owners are still aiming high for the company and its now reaping the dividends.

Nokia was one of the biggest brands in the world at a time but it failed to keep abreast of its users power which cost Nokia a damaging effect.

A stitch in time can save more nine.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facts About NAIRALAND And Its Owner (PHOTOS included) by Nobody: 11:04pm On Sep 17, 2017
If that pic is real mods would have taken it down .
Re: Facts About NAIRALAND And Its Owner (PHOTOS included) by Nobody: 11:13pm On Sep 17, 2017
The only thing that amazes me about seun are his brows.
so perfectly shaped and smooth.

2 Likes

Re: Facts About NAIRALAND And Its Owner (PHOTOS included) by dejt4u(m): 11:16pm On Sep 17, 2017
Seun once aspired to be a movie producer but never was, may be he is going start in future.
Some people do think seun is a (born again christian) because of some of his gentle gentle pretense but he is totally not. It looks like he is a great fan of actress tonto dikeh has he get involved with posts related to her often on Nairaland.
He is also a great fan of a popular tv series GAME OF THRONES. He once declared that he has a crush on the literary icon Chimamanda Ngozie Adichie

http://howng.com/nairaland-owner-seun-osewa-full-biographylife-and-net-worth/

Lalasticlala

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Most Nigerians Girls Dance With Thier Mouths Open? / Where Is Nairaland's "New Topics" Section? / Very Graphic: See Pics Of Boko Haram Militants Killed By Nigerian Troops

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.