Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,593 members, 7,770,559 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 11:37 AM

My Brake Doesnt Hold. Have To Pump It Once Or Twice First - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Brake Doesnt Hold. Have To Pump It Once Or Twice First (1948 Views)

How Much do Vulcanisers Charge to Pump Car Tyre in Your Area? / Why Is My Brake Not Sharp Again. Is This A Fake Brake Pad? / My Brake Pad Clip Always Coming Off (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Brake Doesnt Hold. Have To Pump It Once Or Twice First by xyoung: 9:39am On Sep 19, 2017
the car spec is toyota camry 2005, (big daddy).

Service done recently
I changed my brake pads and brake pad rotor recently, did wheel alignment and balancing

Complaint
Recently i observe the brake doesnt hold immediately i step on it. It only hold when i press it to the very end.
Secondly when i am on the road, i have to pump it twice before it will hold the 2nd time. I suspected there is air inside the car and called my mechanic to bleed the brake, the problem was solved instantly but after 1 day of driving the problem returned.

Solutions needed pls
Re: My Brake Doesnt Hold. Have To Pump It Once Or Twice First by EkoErrands: 9:53am On Sep 19, 2017
xyoung:

Service done recently
I changed my brake pads and brake pad rotor recently, did wheel alignment and balancing

Complaint
Recently i observe the brake doesnt hold immediately i step on it. It only hold when i press it to the very end.
Secondly when i am on the road, i have to pump it twice before it will hold the 2nd time. I suspected there is air inside the car and called my mechanic to bleed the brake, the problem was solved instantly but after 1 day of driving the problem returned.

Solutions needed pls

Your master cylinder needs a change or your servo is bad. Start by changing the master cylinder which is cheaper then if that doesn't stop it the next thing is your servo.

I'm hoping the brake line is not leaking at any of the wheels...check by looking at the reverse side of all your rims checking if there is brake oil stain on any of them...if none then start doing all I said earlier .
Re: My Brake Doesnt Hold. Have To Pump It Once Or Twice First by TRYGO(m): 9:56am On Sep 19, 2017
What sort if rotor disc did you purchase? New or used? If its used, did you ensure the discs thickness was according to spec?

Some Camry (ies) use brake drums at the rear. So take out time to ha e your mechanic look at the brake shoes, for wear, or make adjustments to them. If they're bad, replace them.

If you discover you have to pump twice, your brake master could be the culprit.

Open the hood, and look for traces of fluid skills around the brake reservoir(external leaks). If there aren't any, you might be having an internal master leakage.

Another important thing forgotten after brake pad/disc replacement is people don't do what we call BEDDING IN. You drive say, 80km/hr, on a free road, and gradually apply the new brakes. That helps the adhesive materials on the pads to properly bed in on to the discs.

Hope thus helps you some what.

Re: My Brake Doesnt Hold. Have To Pump It Once Or Twice First by mayor2013: 9:57am On Sep 19, 2017
xyoung:

Service done recently

Complaint

Solutions needed pls

Have you had your brake lining checked. Then if yes a proper diagnosis needs to be carried out. If in Lagos we can offer a free diagnosis to know the actual problem
Re: My Brake Doesnt Hold. Have To Pump It Once Or Twice First by xyoung: 9:59am On Sep 19, 2017
mayor2013:

Have you had your brake lining checked
i bought new brake linings at the back
Re: My Brake Doesnt Hold. Have To Pump It Once Or Twice First by xyoung: 10:00am On Sep 19, 2017
EkoErrands:

Your master cylinder needs a change or your servo is bad. Start by changing the master cylinder which is cheaper then if that doesn't stop it the next thing is your servo.

I'm hoping the brake line is not leaking at any of the wheels...check by looking at the reverse side of all your rims checking if there is brake oil stain on any of them...if none then start doing all I said earlier .
Thanks for your reply.
My mechanic checked for leakage and he said no leakage at all under the car.
He also checked my brake fluid and he confirmed it is ok
Re: My Brake Doesnt Hold. Have To Pump It Once Or Twice First by xyoung: 10:02am On Sep 19, 2017
TRYGO:
What sort if rotor disc did you purchase? New or used? If its used, did you ensure the discs thickness was according to spec?

Some Camry (ies) use brake drums at the rear. So take out time to ha e your mechanic look at the brake shoes, for wear, or make adjustments to them. If they're bad, replace them.

Open the hood, and look for traces of fluid skills around the brake reservoir(external leaks). If there aren't any, you might be having an internal master leakage.

Another important thing forgotten after brake pad/disc replacement is people don't do what we call BEDDING IN. You drive say, 80km/hr, on a free road, and gradually apply the new brakes. That helps the adhesive materials on the pads to properly bed in on to the discs.

I appreciate you bros. thanks

I bought new rotor disc because my previous brake pad turned to iron-iron without my knowledge and it damaged my rotor disc so i had to change the two rotor disc which was 12,000. i supposed it is a new one. I also bought new brake pads
Re: My Brake Doesnt Hold. Have To Pump It Once Or Twice First by xyoung: 10:10am On Sep 19, 2017
TRYGO:

i just checked your comment the second time. you are really a genius.

with regards the bedding principle? am i supposed to do it? Are u advising or discouraging it?
Re: My Brake Doesnt Hold. Have To Pump It Once Or Twice First by xyoung: 10:12am On Sep 19, 2017
Did some reasearch online in toyota website and i was advised to check the Brake Calliper also. Will ask my mechanic to check that and all your suggestions here
Re: My Brake Doesnt Hold. Have To Pump It Once Or Twice First by abolore80(m): 5:43pm On Sep 19, 2017
xyoung:
Did some reasearch online in toyota website and i was advised to check the Brake Calliper also. Will ask my mechanic to check that and all your suggestions here

I suspect the caliper as well. check the caliper, then if it persist, then brake master will be it.

(1) (Reply)

Does Ikobo Cars In Kaduna Give Out Cars For Free For Promo? / Check Abs And Brake Indications / I Need Help For my 2000 Model Maxima

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.