Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,235 members, 7,839,238 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:33 PM

Emotional Numbing - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Emotional Numbing (338 Views)

Man Goes Emotional After Finding Out His Neighbor dog Impregnated His Dog(pics / This Got Me Emotional - Screen Shots / Groom And His Mom Get Emotional On His Wedding Day (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Emotional Numbing by Nobody: 12:50pm On Sep 19, 2017
Ask a few Christians around about scriptures they can quote straight from the head without looking at a script and you're likely to hear something like this, In the last days, the love of many shall wax cold and people will seem to lose their ability to love (Quoted Verbatim in my own words), in psychology, this term is referred to as emotional numbing.

One mental asset employed by so many individuals to protect themselves from the wreckage off an impending heartbreak is numbing, from childhood to adulthood, if there's one commonality in the experiences as we grow into adulthood, one major commonality is that we'll have our hearts shattered many times, this can take place in business, acquaintance, casual friendships, romantic relationships, community alliance, internet relationships, and much more.

Without tedious and sophisticated learning, it's easy to acquaint with brokenness of the heart and the aftermath of its crash, and why many people have become exposed to different episodes at different times through life, not everyone would have become victim off too many heart-breaking circumstances. Some go through more, some go through worse, and when such experiences becomes too much to bear, most times people employ tactics, like Emotional Numbing.

Emotions are formed deep within the soul of every human, and even animals alike, it is the centre where key decisions are made and how we interpret how we see life. Without discounting on its importance, our emotions as human beings need to be expressed and bottling up emotions, by numbing has its sheer consequences, while numbing as a protective mechanisms stops what goes out, it on the other hand, places a heavy hand or stop what comes inside, and many times the employer soon become a victim of his/her tactic.

It is a commonality that in love, many people apply emotional numbing as a trigger mechanism to protect themselves from hurt, yes, heartbreaks are terrible but employing emotional numbing also creates a cloud of '' less love ", superficial existence brought about by i don't want to be hurt, I don't want to be cheated.

I remember during my formative years as a young lad, after school, I had to stop by my aunt’s fashion saloon, and daily i heard words like men can't be trusted, men are dogs, menare pigs, blah blah blah, too young to contain all these seemingly harmless words which the speakers never aimed at my mind, but by being present i carried some of these words and they dented my soul even into adulthood, the aftermath was a distaste for relationship and consequently numbing. I also heard lots of people that say to their daughters, love but don't love too much, don't trust men.

As years goes by, i found out the issue with people in relationships needed to be tested, i.e. there's need to communicate with people and communication exposes the heart, and people can better understand one another and choose how their relationships should evolve.

This is why I believe most relationships, ( business and romantic relationships) alike, are subjected to unnecessary storms not because of the people in our circles but because our own very souls have become tainted and prejudiced by our seemingly less than perfect past, and as we go through one negative cycle to the next, it builds up a negative reservoir of unexpressed emotions, consequently numbing. God created people, friendships that we should enjoy the company of people in our circles and while at it.

Without saying too much, it’s important to know the state of our own souls and subject it to soul cleansing hence we allow our past negative experiences cast a shadow over the present relationships which most times people spoil from insecurities, fears, ineventualities etc.

Learning to love and express ourselves how we feel deep down is key to healthy relationships in any form, and learning to express how one feels deep within the soul is vital, personally, I disbelieve in the indoctrination of don't trust this or that and by so, i like to encourage us to determine our own paths through our own experiences, and don't adopt a lie handed down to us and build our own life’s on these lies. Suffice to say, i hardly take motivational speeches and relationship books serious because they almost hand down a tutorial on how to live life. I also don't attend any church that shares a manual on prayer points.

Life is a continuous process and you can't have your acts packed up, we must be willing to face the risk of an heart wreck if we must enjoy the rewards of true love, friendship, partnerships and companionships.

Bottom line stop employing emotional insurance against hurt, it’s a baggage from a past or hurtful relationship, discard the seed and maintain an healthy soul, do not contaminate present relationships with pain brought about by past relationships or stuffs picked up on the media. Life is out there to be discovered, learn to experience life through your own eyes and set the rules yourself, in the end you’ll end up as an inventor and give yourself a pat on the back if you land very fruitful relationships.

Just my two cents....

Kindly help me complete my thoughts

solasoulmusic

RaggedyAnn

Just yesterday
Re: Emotional Numbing by XaNdEr101(m): 12:51pm On Sep 19, 2017
ftc this is Wayy too long bro
Re: Emotional Numbing by XaNdEr101(m): 12:52pm On Sep 19, 2017
tf, nobody is going to waste time reading this long crap
Re: Emotional Numbing by midehi2(f): 12:56pm On Sep 19, 2017
grin
Re: Emotional Numbing by Nobody: 12:57pm On Sep 19, 2017
XaNdEr101:
tf, nobody is going to waste time reading this long crap

That is why many graduates are not intellectually competent, learning is the key to discovery and improvement..
Re: Emotional Numbing by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jan 08, 2018
You make sense but your for for summarize bro too long but very deep. Don’t disregard your feelings but also consider others as well.

Men are naturally taught to be hardened when in fact they should be tough but still let their heart speak

(1) (Reply)

Online Dating Tips: How To Write To Her? / Making Money Easily.............. / Divorce...myth, Facts & Reality!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.