Stats: 3,152,303 members, 7,815,548 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:20 PM

Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles (3863 Views)

Olympic Games Qualifier :Equatorial Guinea 2 Vs Nigeria 1 (Full time) / Beijing 2008 Olympics Football Event: Men / Forgotten Players In Nigerian Soccer (2) (3) (4)

Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by pheesayor(m): 3:18pm On Mar 02, 2010
New Super Eagles’ Technical Adviser, Lars Lagerback, has demanded for the dossier of the Nigerian Under-23 team that reached the final of the Olympic Games in Beijing in 2008. The Swede, who would be unveiled to Nigerians tomorrow (Wednesday), told the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF)’s bigwigs that he would want the entire members of the Olympic team to start his re-building process of the Super Eagles.

According to an NFF source, the former Sweden coach was of the view that a squad that played and lost 1–0 to Argentina in the final of the Olympic Games, must be very good players and should graduate to the senior team.

Lagerback expressed surprise that the Nigerian team is still struggling after reaching the final of the Olympic Games two years earlier, adding that with those players that held the world spell-bound, the Eagles should be among the best in the world.

Our source stated that Lagerback said he would want a compile the dossier of all the players and find out why some of them were dropped from the Super Eagles, stating that he would give preference to the Olympic team players first. Speaking further, our source disclosed that Lagerback is also expected to pick local players from the domestic league and camp them occasionally before picking those who would join the main team for the world cup camping

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/sportsonthehour/2010/mar/02/sportsbreak-02-03-2010-001.htm
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by omar22(m): 3:51pm On Mar 02, 2010
FANTASTIC….

Now we have a manager who has his head screwed on…. Compared to COCO THE CLOWN we had before who tried to fluke his way to a final of a major tournament, the most fascinating thing is that they are so many Nigerians who play in the Scandinavian league (Norwegian, Swedish or Swiss league) who were members of the last 3 youth or Olympic teams…. It’s a good move before the big wig of Nigerian football throws the spanner into everything.
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by snowdrops(m): 4:33pm On Mar 02, 2010
Good luck to him then
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by semid4lyfe(m): 5:00pm On Mar 02, 2010
pheesayor:

New Super Eagles’ Technical Adviser, Lars Lagerback, has demanded for the dossier of the Nigerian Under-23 team that reached the final of the Olympic Games in Beijing in 2008. The Swede, who would be unveiled to Nigerians tomorrow (Wednesday), told the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF)’s bigwigs that he would want the entire members of the Olympic team to start his re-building process of the Super Eagles.

According to an NFF source, the former Sweden coach was of the view that a squad that played and lost 1–0 to Argentina in the final of the Olympic Games, must be very good players and should graduate to the senior team.

Lagerback expressed surprise that the Nigerian team is still struggling after reaching the final of the Olympic Games two years earlier, adding that with those players that held the world spell-bound, the Eagles should be among the best in the world.

Our source stated that Lagerback said he would want a compile the dossier of all the players and find out why some of them were dropped from the Super Eagles, stating that he would give preference to the Olympic team players first. Speaking further, our source disclosed that Lagerback is also expected to pick local players from the domestic league and camp them occasionally before picking those who would join the main team for the world cup camping

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/sportsonthehour/2010/mar/02/sportsbreak-02-03-2010-001.htm

Aaah. . .Belle sweet me no be small as I read this. . . .that Sia1 olympic team played total football. . . L.L sure has his thinking cap on. . . .however not all the players of that team are worth inviting to the Super Eagles. . . .Isaac Promise, Ambrose Vanzekin & Solomon Okoronkwo readily come to mind.
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by hollandis(f): 5:28pm On Mar 02, 2010
Kai what a brilliant man.What a nice man,what a nice thinking maan
It is unfortunate Siasia is not his deputy.
Bad belle Onigbinde
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by Kx: 5:32pm On Mar 02, 2010
It took oyibo from cold cold sweden to recho what we have been saying that
a bunch of unknown players that could cage Merciless Merci and co must trully be worlclass.

I hope dis laga man wont make me leave Guiness stout for lager beer cos it is evident
this man will herald goodnews for soccer loving super eagles fans.
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by Ibime(m): 6:03pm On Mar 02, 2010
Please, please, please. . . . you can take any of those boys except Vanzekin, Chibuzor Okonkwo and Isaac Promise.

Another reason why we should have hired SiaSia!

If he is going to use SiaSia's team, and do exactly the same thing SiaSia did, then what are we paying him millions for? Who be the maga here?

Basically he wants to follow SiaSia's blueprint. . . then he better get on the phone and start seeking his advice!
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by 12large: 6:35pm On Mar 02, 2010
what is nigerians saying, is the best olympics players not already in eagles, they are the best players in olympics where olubayo,apam,adeleye,obasi,obinna,odemwingie and okorokwo and the are already in super eagles. so nigeria wants useless players like efe ambrose,promise,okonkwo to join eagles you must be mad. lets not get anything twisted the only good team they played was argentina and they lost although they were not disgraced. if lagerback wants to take someone form beijing team he should take emmanuel ekpo, and i think our future lies in the hands of that rwanda 2009 team.
i need salami,lukman,ibrahim,udoh,osanga now thats when you make a difference. if i hear isaac promise,efe ambrose or vanzekin name for eagles na dirty slap be that oooooo
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by azeeza(f): 8:20pm On Mar 02, 2010
@12large my thot exactly if he really need them,then sia1 has to be in that moving train as part of the crews.
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by omar22(m): 8:26pm On Mar 02, 2010
If he is going to use SiaSia's team, and do exactly the same thing SiaSia did, then what are we paying him millions for? Who be the maga here?

O common give it a break, its like driving a car, one person could drive the same car faster than the next person
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by 2tait: 2:06pm On Mar 03, 2010
I'd rather recommend the last year's U17 team. Lagerback should select from that team. They are hot!
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by 9jauk: 2:16pm On Mar 03, 2010
Good finking he need siasia though,dis so called LARGER NA WASTE OF MONEY,SIASIA WOULD DO BETTER,NFA NEED TO BE RESHUFFLE,WE NEED SEGUN ODEGBAMI N JOHN FASHANU IN D HOUSE,NFA IS TOO POLITICAL RUBBISH PEOPLE.THE CHAIRMAN USELESS MAL''''''
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by ichommy(m): 2:20pm On Mar 03, 2010
Work don start be that grin
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by Jarus(m): 2:23pm On Mar 03, 2010
It's a very reasonable idea. . .
A team that got to the final of a global tournament second only to World Cup has potential. But in Nigeria we hardly build on that.
A good idea,really, but like many have said here, he needs Sia Sia to work with. Siasia knows the boys more.
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by Bruekeleen: 2:33pm On Mar 03, 2010
Kx:

a bunch of unknown players that could cage Merciless Merci and co must trully be worlclass.

I hope dis laga man wont make me leave Guiness stout for lager beer cos it is evident
this man will herald goodnews for soccer loving super eagles fans.

It may be worth it to leave Guiness Stout for lager beer if he performs! But he fails to perform, perharps we should ( in his contract) have him change his name to Tomboback or Burukutuback grin
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by comcentury(m): 2:40pm On Mar 03, 2010
thats a good start, let it not just be words though we want action
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by mjbaba: 2:45pm On Mar 03, 2010
Coach:
Samson Siasia (43)

Goalkeepers:
Ambruse Vanzekin (22) (Akwa United)
Ezenwa Ikechukwu (19) (Ocean Boys)

Defenders:
Chibuzor Okonkwo (?) (Bayelsa United)
Taye Taiwo (23) (Olympique Marsielle, France)
Onyekachi Apam (22) (Nice, France)
Dele Adeleye (19) (Sparta Rotterdam, Netherlands)
James Monday (22) (Bayelsa United)
Adefemi Olubayo (22) (Hapoel Jerusalem, Israel)
Efe Ambrose (19) (Kaduna United)

Midfielders:
Sani Kaita (22) (Sparta Rotterdam, Netherlands)
Isaac Promise (20) (Trabzonspor, Turkey)
Oluwafemi Ajilore (20) (Groningen, Netherlands)
Emmanuel Ekpo (20) (Columbus Crew, USA)

Strikers:
Chinedu Ogbuke (22) (Hoffenheim, Germany)
Victor Nsofor Obinna (21) (Chievo, Italy)
Solomon Okoronkwo (21) (Hertha, Germany)
Peter Odemwingie (27) (Lokomotiv Moscow, Russia)
Victor Anichebe (20) (Everton, England)
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by Nescoemmy(m): 2:47pm On Mar 03, 2010
seems like he know's what he is doing, wishing him the best of luck.
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by FrenchyL(m): 3:01pm On Mar 03, 2010
Now that is what we have been talking about. There has to be continuity for any team to grow and make tangible advancements. Good work Coach!!! smiley
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by comcentury(m): 3:09pm On Mar 03, 2010
thats a good start, let it not just be words though we want action
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by Nobody: 3:24pm On Mar 03, 2010
Hallelujah,   smiley

Favoritism is dead in NFA abi NFF, which one?  undecided
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by inoma(m): 3:30pm On Mar 03, 2010
well spoken, I hope he'd be allowed to do just that. grin
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by DoubleN(m): 3:37pm On Mar 03, 2010
Let us just pray that the powers that be (awon Sani Lulu and co) will leave him alone to work and not meddle in!!
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by hollandis(f): 3:49pm On Mar 03, 2010
The only missing guy in that list is Echiejele ,Shittu and that U17 guy that plays for heartland,then maybe Enyeama.Taiye Taiwo's place in that squad isunnecessary
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by Billygates: 4:00pm On Mar 03, 2010
Too bad that chain smoking dude we had on our bench couldn't see what 9ja football fans and the press had been shouting to high heavens.
It took a change of pigmentation on our technical bench to get us shouting Alleluia
Maybe the smoke from the dude's nostrils was blocking his vision
Wetin be that dude name sef O! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by Taito007(m): 4:15pm On Mar 03, 2010
It a good start from him but he needs to be aware there is not much time to do all he said. There has to be priority, he should build on the current players we have and leave out few he thinks are not capable. Then after the world cup, he should pick his preferred players from anywhere he wants as long as NFA gives him room to operate. I also think he should not be judged by this world cup especially if it turns out bad (in which only a miracle wont allow such).
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by jbloggs(m): 4:33pm On Mar 03, 2010
12large:

what is nigerians saying, is the best olympics players not already in eagles, they are the best players in olympics where olubayo,apam,adeleye,obasi,obinna,odemwingie and okorokwo and the are already in super eagles. so nigeria wants useless players like efe ambrose,promise,okonkwo to join eagles you must be mad. lets not get anything twisted the only good team they played was argentina and they lost although they were not disgraced. if lagerback wants to take someone form beijing team he should take emmanuel ekpo, and i think our future lies in the hands of that rwanda 2009 team.
i need salami,lukman,ibrahim,udoh,osanga now thats when you make a difference. if i hear isaac promise,efe ambrose or vanzekin name for eagles na dirty slap be that oooooo

Guy u no understand football at all, why say such thing, that the names u mentioned first are only the best? i guess dey played all the wings too, i am sure they all consolidated, That is what we call team work.
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by 12large: 4:44pm On Mar 03, 2010
who is talking about team work that olympic team wa not even that good, imagine how useless super eagles midfield will be if we play ajilore and keita disaster or you want us to call monday james,efe ambrose,issacc promise and useless vanzekin hell no. who is nigerian deceiving amodu already called up the best players from beijing olympics team and their in eagles already. what we need to tell lagerback now is that we are lacking creative midfilders thats what we need not useless overage players
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by deb(m): 4:52pm On Mar 03, 2010
Complaining Nigerian fans,
The man has only come to put sanity into our football system. He simply wants to do the right thing that countries
that succeed in football all over are already doing.

complainers, did you read the following? especially the highlighted part?
Our source stated that Lagerback said he would want a compile the dossier of all the players and find out why some of them were dropped from the Super Eagles, stating that he would give preference to the Olympic team players first. Speaking further, our source disclosed that L[b]agerback is also expected to pick local players from the domestic league and camp them occasionally before picking those who would join the main team for the world cup camping[/b]

Please when a man is making good moves, let us commend him afterall the siddon dey look coach wey we get before no get any clear direction of wetin im dey do. I lie?
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by Nobody: 5:13pm On Mar 03, 2010
Kx:

a bunch of unknown players that could cage Merciless "Merci" and co must trully be worlclass.

this man will herald goodnews for "soccer" loving super eagles fans.

It's "FOOTBALL'' not soccer! angry

And it's "MESSI" not Merci!
Re: Lagerback Wants Beijing Olympic Players In Eagles by namdo(m): 5:22pm On Mar 03, 2010
this is a good start and i hope no bigheads would want to tell the Largerman what to do or who to select this time. I wish the emerging SE team best of lucks but i'm not expecting a miracle from the team as it is surely an impromptu team arrangement, time no dey again embarassed

"He's A Spineless Coward" Revealed Zlatan Ibrahimovic To Guardiola / Memo To My Wife On World Cup 2010 / Santi Cazola Has Agreed A Deal To Join Atletico Madrid.