Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,820 members, 7,831,671 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 12:38 AM

On Bank PHB Basketball Ad - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / On Bank PHB Basketball Ad (3264 Views)

N50 Stamp Duty Imposed On Bank Customers By FG / CBN Revokes The Licenses Of Afribank, Spring Bank And Bank PHB / Platinum Habib Bank / Bank PHB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by romeo(m): 9:37pm On May 14, 2007
Aloofaa:

Hello Mr Romeo,

I'm sure this portal was not launched to make room for the mudslinging of its members. I'm wondering why an ordinary topic that is meant to allow for constructive (as opposed to destructive) criticisms of the subject-matter be exploited by some "over sabi" Nairaland user to achieve whatever shady intent they nurture. You don't know me, I'm sure about that. What is the personal jabs about? Can you be modest please!

, What's igbolandia about?

criticising the way people view english language is not "over sabi" but criticising a modest ad because of of english language is "over sabi", and besides the igbolandia thing is a place where i promote igbo language among our youths
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by Egavlas(m): 9:54pm On May 14, 2007
I think the Driving/Talking car advert campaign is a lot better than this one. Even the man drinking water from a gas station pump is better. I think the guy that started this thread probably has something to do with advertising or seriously follows advertising and thats why he could be very bothered about those things he pointed out. As someone who is just enjoying the adverts on tv, you may not fully appreciate where the guy that started this post is coming from. I have a friend who is working with an Agency that is equally big and he pointed out a couple of things including the issues pointed out here. I mean, why would the basket baller wear another product brand? Is it a double product advert or what? Such things cause serious damages abroad where attention is paid to details. Why villify the guy that posted this because he saw somethings done wrongly(igbolandia take note). We are hear to discuss and learn from one another and I think his posting is well on track.
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by romeo(m): 11:50pm On May 14, 2007
i was not defending the ad because i've not seen it and you may have a point about the whole thing but i was against the whole thing about english language and i am not igbolandia by name please, just show some maturity next time you are responding to a post, you can keep on learning because i think u need it
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by Egavlas(m): 12:25am On May 15, 2007
romeo:

i was not defending the ad because i've not seen it and you may have a point about the whole thing but i was against the whole thing about english language and i am not igbolandia by name please, just show some maturity next time you are responding to a post, you can keep on learning because i think u need it

I know your kind , Cantankerous , obnoxious . Whatever your name is, I dont really care. Yes I need the learning and will keep learning . You on the other hand, have a right to remain at whatever level you appear to be.
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by romeo(m): 12:47am On May 15, 2007
your're a dumb ass if you don't know, and you'll need a lot of years to get to the level i am. foolish thing
how you wish you something about my kind dumb ass
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by spoilt(f): 3:18am On May 15, 2007
freedom of expression doesnt mean you have to 'shell'.
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by diyobdw(f): 7:56am On May 15, 2007
Advertsing in Nigeria is still at the teething stage even though most big agencies claim International standard.

A good point made by the topic - "LACK of attention to detail" it is not only suffer'd in advertising. It is a general Bad habit we have in this country(same reason why a bricklayer would patch your wall roughly, a tailor would assume you shlould ignore her missing the postion of your hip in a dress etc).

PHB' s concept of going the extra mile or thinking about the future, is nice but the our creative directors needs to pay more attention to the every bit of information. Understand not just what the want to say but what the audience will say and think. "No or distorted connect'n mean no sales"

Critiques help you grow, well done, Aloofaa

Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by Aloofaa(m): 8:25am On May 15, 2007
Thanks for your rejoinder.
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by spora(m): 9:35am On May 15, 2007
I salute the courage of Aloofaa and support him on this thread. This essence of a forum of this type is to share idea and at the end of the day come out better informed. And that is exactly what he is advocating here: Contributions

Expectedly, I am not surprise at the introduction of jab along the line, afterall if there is no war, there can't be peace. Even our "distinguished" Senators throw chairs. We are still in the learning stage and we will get there.

Now the issue raised by Aloofaa is two-dimensional: The product and the Grammar issue.

1. I agree completely with him that it is a big minus on the part of Insight to have used other logo. It is an unpardonable one. My worry is if this is an oversight by Insight, does it mean it was not vetted by Phb?

2. Comming to the grammar area. I want to point out that any language is a "living" thing so long it is still being used. And what is language for all I care? so far somebody can understand what you say or signal, it is acceptable. It then becomes an academic exercise when you start classifying words into this and that.

In Lagos for example, several slangs have indirectly been added to our lexicon to an extent that even "corporate" people subconsciously find themselves speaking it. Paro lo, Go on soun, Jehun soke, maa begi fun e are good examples.

A Briton may even find it a little challenging if he travels to America. Reason: American English is different from British English. This is not only in spoken but also in written.

The coming of the IT and its resources have not helped matter either. When you hear people say things like: Can you use Windows?, Come and Java with me, If you can't find it, Google it and please make sure you yahoo! me today, one should know that we are in a different world.

A world where any statement is correct so far you can prove it and where you can not say a statement is incorrect except you belong to the system.
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by moondust(m): 4:30pm On May 15, 2007
@Aloofa
4get ur Analysis and breakdown, I think its a great AD
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by GeminiII(m): 4:33pm On May 15, 2007
naija pple na wa o you can never satify this guyz to the extent that you scrutinized the AD to the very last detail, you get time o come to think of it i never noticed maybe am used to the haphazard treatment we get from nigerian service provider's
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by joey22(f): 4:38pm On May 15, 2007
@ aloofaa why do u have to critisize the ad abi u go for intervew for PHB and they no employ you?nobody is above mistake and i beleive that you have at one time or another made mistakes.the ad is wonderful anyway.
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by bruce(m): 5:01pm On May 15, 2007
Una well done!! We are learning indeed.
@ Gemini II
That is why we need to get better

Someone said that criticism ( constructive ones) helps you become better.
I also believe that anything worth doing is worth doing well. Whether in Igbo, Yoruba, or Hausa; locally or internationally. If you want to go local, do it well; if you want to go pro, do it professionally well too.

The ad is great, but if mistakes are noticed and pointed out it is to make them better.
Aloofaa has noted those errors, especially that of the use of Air product because he has a good eye for good adverts. If tomorrow that ad wins another award in the country, don't we think that Nigerians will be laughed at if it goes international.

As for the grammar, I want to view it from the perspective that SPORA looked at it even though I have not seen it.
Most times communication is breached because the audience could not align their perspective with that of the speaker in order to get the message passed acrossed; whether with the use of Nouns in place of Verbs and vice versa or not( going by the instances given by Spora). English language is dynamic, so is the grammar that we speak. Things change everyday.

For those that use this medium to abuse and insult one another, you better desist from such. It is uncalled for to beef one another over things that does not really concern you. What is PHB and Insight Communications got to offer you for beefing yourselves? We are bound to disagree on issues but not to the length of raining abuses on one another. Handle issues maturely and avoid threads and posts that might provoke you.

Long live Nairaland!!!
Long live Nairalanders!!!!
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by joobreel(m): 5:54pm On May 15, 2007
Aloofa, in as much as i agree on the air jordan brand, you would want to agree with me that there are some words that can both serve as noun and verb. maybe insight was just trying to emphasise that the fact that the word 'PHB' can perform as any part of a sentence just as the bank PHB can satisfy your needs in any aspect of your financial life. though they might have made a mistake as you rightly observed, the AD was a nice concept. ***i would also suggest that you get to meet the management of Insight on the advert, they would surely have a reason for your so called blunder. go ask them  grin grin
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by romeo(m): 6:21pm On May 15, 2007
bruce:

For those that use this medium to abuse and insult one another, you better desist from such. It is uncalled for to beef one another over things that does not really concern you. What is PHB and Insight Communications got to offer you for beefing yourselves? We are bound to disagree on issues but not to the length of raining abuses on one another. Handle issues maturely and avoid threads and posts that might provoke you.

Long live Nairaland!!!
Long live Nairalanders!!!!

i was one of the mentioned and i don't want to justify my actions and i appologise to fellow members if i offended
but i still maintain my opinion based on the language stuff
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by justme3(m): 6:27pm On May 15, 2007
Personally, i think dat ad doesn't make sense but i dn't know abt d noun/verb thing u are talking abt
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by hbrednic: 7:16pm On May 15, 2007
PHB paying to advertise air jordan,yet some people sees nothing wrong with it.
that shows why nigerians always acepts mediocre things and poor services.
untill we learn to demand and get the best out of our money,we will never grow.

good work Aloofaa,we need more people like u that pays attention to details.
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by BlackMamba(m): 7:55pm On May 15, 2007
@Aloofa,
Your well intended critique of the ad seems to make some folks uncomfortable. That they exalt mediocrity shouldn't surprise you. It's one of our traits in Naija.
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by tollu: 8:34pm On May 15, 2007
There really is sumtin wrong with the ad and i commend @topic for highlighting the verb/noun thing. For me the commercial was just too 'impossible' (i know some ppl will attack).
The cars runnin on water theme seems like sumtin dat would be acheived in the nearest future and the talking car is also very feasible but what's with leaping hundreds of feet without some artificial assistance( u be winch?)?
It's not working for me. END
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by doyin13(m): 9:29pm On May 15, 2007
this is not about supporting mediocrity.

the whole point of an advert is to pass on a message. if the message is received, then mission accomplished.

are you critics some kinda uptight lit profs. or what.

abeg leave matter for mathias
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by romeo(m): 9:35pm On May 15, 2007
doyin13:

this is not about supporting mediocrity.

the whole point of an advert is to pass on a message. if the message is received, then mission accomplished.

are you critics some kind of uptight lit profs. or what.

abeg leave matter for mathias

well said my dear, some are still struggling to understand that
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by SandyRocks1(f): 9:27am On May 16, 2007
@Aloofaa, I was totally pleased to see a trait lacking in so many professionals. The "attention to details". It takes one who has got impeacable eyes with all senses working together and soundly (if there's a word like that) too to observe what you pointed out. This post could earn you a great job; believe me. The power to see and read inbetween lines, the power to pick out flaws from a supossedly perfect thing is great! May I mention anyways, that air jardon may have sponsored the outfit and thus the attire. Hit the road man, you are headed for a good boardroom someday! Good luck.
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by bebe2007(m): 2:36pm On May 16, 2007
@Aloofa,

You are right. They ought to have been consistent. I didnt notice too. Good on you!
Dont mind those criticising you. It only goes to show you know what you are doing. Why should we be glad we got an ad like that things are getting better indeed. Things ought to be better than what it is today. Lets wait for outsiders to commend us (Nigerians) not us commending oursleves. That way we will never move forward. Hence INSIGHT COMMUNICATION SHOULD TAKE NOTE.
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by Egavlas(m): 1:44am On May 17, 2007
tollu:

There really is sumtin wrong with the ad and i commend @topic for highlighting the verb/noun thing. For me the commercial was just too 'impossible' (i know some people will attack).
The cars runnin on water theme seems like sumtin that would be acheived in the nearest future and the talking car is also very feasible but what's with leaping hundreds of feet without some artificial assistance( u be winch?)?
It's not working for me. END
Abi o?
My sentiments exactly.
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by iyeyemi: 10:34am On May 17, 2007
the guy spotted errors in an otherwise tightknit gig, what's wrong with that?nothing in this world is perfect, I was a site 'adsofthworld' and you should see ads i thot were flawless being flawed with ease by those with sharper eyes.at best just counter his observation, oh my bad, you may not have the gift he has. All the same good work jare my brova, na dem talk say dem be noun, how dem come change to verb sharp sharp.
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by bruce(m): 4:47pm On May 17, 2007
@romeo
i was one of the mentioned and i don't want to justify my actions and i appologise to fellow members if i offended
but i still maintain my opinion based on the language stuff
[quote][/quote]

Like I said, we are learning and this is a forum for learning and nothing otherwise. Romeo, for you to acknowledge that even when your name was not even mentioned is a great thing and very commendable. Very well, I (also Nairalanders) respect your opinion, for everyone is entitle to that. You have just done the right thing and nothing more. I believe that nairalanders have accepted your apology.

That goes also to tell us that sometimes we think we are doing the right thing until we are corrected and ushered back on track. So nobody is above mistakes and correction (even PHB and INSIGHT). Constructive criticisms makes us better in life and everything we do.

The Book of Proverbs 12:1 says that: He who loves correction loves knowledge; but he who despise correction (discipline) is stupid (Foolish) - Rephrased.

One love!
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by bruce(m): 4:52pm On May 17, 2007
@romeo

sorry I was trying to quote you. but I got it wrong, I have not been using it and don't know how to do it. maybe you can put me through on that.

Thanks.
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by bruce(m): 4:53pm On May 17, 2007
@romeo

sorry I was trying to quote you. but I got it wrong, I have not been using it and don't know how to do it. maybe you can put me through on that.

Thanks.
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by topetope(m): 4:47am On May 18, 2007
pls let them be jo.
haba
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by sexyella: 1:17pm On May 18, 2007
nigerians una sabi sabi too much. always seeing the wrong side of everything, can't people just learn to appreciate??
Re: On Bank PHB Basketball Ad by beyunce(f): 6:25pm On May 21, 2007
I feel the ad is realy kool o. serriously

(1) (2) (Reply)

Stop Depending Of "Nepa". Generate Your Own Power! / Investors Transact $1.7b At I&E Window / Lifestock Farming: Cattle & Goat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.