Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,961 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

Keeping My Mouth Shut - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Keeping My Mouth Shut (1500 Views)

Nigerian Man Starts Preaching In London Bus And Is Told To Shut Up / 22 Noisy Churches Shut Down In Lagos State / South African Pastor Turns Church Member Into Horse & Put Snake In Their Mouth (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Keeping My Mouth Shut by bawomolo(m): 5:26am On Mar 04, 2010
JeSoul:

I think I get it.

So ya'll are atheists except when its inconvenient, right? I must say, strong convictions you all got there. cool

what's your definition of inconvenience? why bring up religion in places like the workplace?
Re: Keeping My Mouth Shut by Nobody: 5:39am On Mar 04, 2010
^^who did you see bringing up religion in the workplace?
Re: Keeping My Mouth Shut by InesQor(m): 5:47am On Mar 04, 2010
bawomolo:

what's your definition of inconvenience? why bring up religion in places like the workplace?
You have gotten it wrong, bawomolo. The OP did not assert that religion was a prerequisite to getting the job, he asks if you would put aside your non-theistic views in order to obtain special favour or get undue advantage.

I personally agree with tpia, if you are good enough at what you do at the workplace, nobody really cares what religion(s) you subscribe to, or that you don't. Even in Nigeria.

But after my first response, the OP kind of started talking about a "gun to the head" so it has coloured the whole discussion.
Re: Keeping My Mouth Shut by Nobody: 8:40am On Mar 04, 2010
You have gotten it wrong, bawomolo. The OP did not assert that religion was a prerequisite to getting the job, he asks if you would put aside your non-theistic views in order to obtain special favour or get undue advantage.

I personally agree with tpia, if you are good enough at what you do at the workplace, nobody really cares what religion(s) you subscribe to, or that you don't. Even in Nigeria.

But after my first response, the OP kind of started talking about a "gun to the head"   so it has coloured the whole discussion.

in the same naija where governors sanction people for not attending office prayers

in the same naija where a lot of orgs - oceanic included if i remember correctly , engage in daily fellowship?

i remember a situation a colleague faced at work - there is a weekly safety meeting where he works. someone in typical naija fashion the people running the meeting started introducing lenghty and eloquent prayers into it. my friend is a muslim, and he simply stopped attending the meetings. the next thing you know, the meeting organisers started compaining the guy is not a team player, that sort of thing -

religion features extensively in the nigerian workplace

even on nairaland - people shove religion into the most mundane topics - u think the workplace is any different?
Re: Keeping My Mouth Shut by mazaje(m): 11:31am On Mar 04, 2010
oyb:

in the same naija where governors sanction people for not attending office prayers

in the same naija where a lot of orgs - oceanic included if i remember correctly , engage in daily fellowship?

i remember a situation a colleague faced at work - there is a weekly safety meeting where he works. someone in typical naija fashion the people running the meeting started introducing lenghty and eloquent prayers into it. my friend is a muslim, and he simply stopped attending the meetings. the next thing you know, the meeting organisers started compaining the guy is not a team player, that sort of thing -

religion features extensively in the nigerian workplace

even on nairaland - people shove religion into the most mundane topics - u think the workplace is any different?

WORD!!!
Re: Keeping My Mouth Shut by InesQor(m): 12:30pm On Mar 04, 2010
mazaje and oyb:

I still don't see how any of those situations are a "gun to the head", and I further stress that chrisbenogor started the thread indicating that the atheist wanted an undue favour. This question is not about the general workplace.

But wait a minute, you don't get my point! The workplace is utilitarian before its religious, and it applies in Nigeria as well. See below:

in the same naija where governors sanction people for not attending office prayers.
What people? The everyday people or the indispensable ones the governor can't do without? The staff that is so good that the bank is scared of losing him? If you're indispensable, concessions will ALWAYS be made for you, ESPECIALLY in Nigeria.

In this case, i agree that the guy is not a team player, because if he was a team player, his line of action would NOT have been to stop attending, but to find a way to intelligently pass across his misgivings about the situation to someone in charge. If he does that properly, there will be a concession because it's a workplace, and not a church or fellowship!! It was a safety meeting for Gilligan's sake!!!

And this just crowns it all. What I have noticed on Nairaland is that people DO colour their discussions with their religious views, but the TRUTH is that there are many highly respected people (respected for the intelligent context of their discussions, and not their religious views behind it) that post on every section in Nairaland. Heck, there are Muslims, Atheists, Grail Message folk, Christians, Agnostics and an [b]OOI[/b]st and Deists who make great posts and people hear them out before considering their religious views. When you are good, you are good, and the world has to stop and listen. It's that simple. Blaming religion for an inadequacy is putting the cart before the horse!

And last of all, think about it: Ibrahim Babangida (IBB) is  a voice in Nigeria. So is Wole Soyinka. So was Fela. Nobody would care about their religious views before they are given the respect they deserve, and that EXACTLY obtains at the workplace. Be the best at what you do, and people will learn to have a blind eye and hushed voices. Plain, ain't it?
Re: Keeping My Mouth Shut by Nobody: 12:56pm On Mar 04, 2010
What people? The everyday people or the indispensable ones the governor can't do without? The staff that is so good that the bank is scared of losing him? If you're indispensable, concessions will ALWAYS be made for you, ESPECIALLY in Nigeria

So by your argument t is only the animals that are more equal than others that will not face any issues of religious discrimination in the workplace. everyone else - as in the masses who dominate the bell curve - are on their own.

In this case, i agree that the guy is not a team player, because if he was a team player, his line of action would NOT have been to stop attending, but to find a way to intelligently pass across his misgivings about the situation to someone in charge. If he does that properly, there will be a concession because it's a workplace, and not a church or fellowship!! It was a safety meeting for Gilligan's sake!!!

you obviously do not know nigerian mentality. lets see - majority of the staff there are christians and see nothing wrong with incorporating religion into the meeting . these include the guy's superiors . the guy complains to his superiors who in typical nigerian fash io will simply say mr man wetin - because u are a muslim u want to spoil this blissful meeting. of course things go downhill from there. all that a direct complaint would have led to would have been a lot of bad blood between my friend and his Christian colleagues.

u come across as very naive if u think his complaining will lead to a resolution of the problem. at best, there will be a memo or so such from up high stating cease and desist - and there will be deep resentment from his colleagues who he still has to work with and some of whom will be muttering agent of satan - it is the voice of God that was disturbing him or some such.

And this just crowns it all. What I have noticed on Nairaland is that people DO colour their discussions with their religious views

you have missed the point.

this is what i mean . someone starts a thread on a mundane topic like your ideal man - lists traits like handsome, intelligent . people start replying - but before you know it someone inserts - those traits are nothing without Godliness or some such. capish?

And last of all, think about it: Ibrahim Babangida (IBB) is  a voice in Nigeria. So is Wole Soyinka. So was Fela. Nobody would care about their religious views before they are given the respect they deserve, and that EXACTLY obtains at the workplace. Be the best at what you do, and people will learn to have a blind eye and hushed voices. Plain, ain't it?

this highlights the fact that you must be posting from outside nigeria. have you heard of lamido sanusi ? hes the cbn governor. he is currently administering some reforms that are bitter to swallow. there are raging debates on nairaland about his competence, the efficacy of his actions, etc - but in the end what most of his detractors hold against him is that he has a masters in sharia law.

like i replied earlier, sorry, most of us are average. and NO ONE is indispensable. the recent indiscriminate mass retrenchments at banks are snaring performers and stragglers alike.

When you are good, you are good, and the world has to stop and listen. It's that simple. Blaming religion for an inadequacy is putting the cart before the horse!

we are in nigeria, land of nepotism, god fatherism , paternalism, sleepingwithogaism - you are reaaly naive if you meritocracy cuts muchs much slack here - or anywhere else for that matter. we're talking about the real world, not utopia.
Re: Keeping My Mouth Shut by InesQor(m): 1:09pm On Mar 04, 2010
smiley Points well taken, oyb.
Re: Keeping My Mouth Shut by Nobody: 2:00pm On Mar 04, 2010
ouch. embarassed thank you smiley
Re: Keeping My Mouth Shut by Nobody: 4:21pm On Mar 04, 2010
oyb you made some valid points but you failed to also comment on the deep seated voodoo culture which is found in every nook and cranny of Nigeria. Its quite commonplace to see people resorting to juju in the workplace- either for promotion, to get back at their enemies, or simply because its considered normal to do so. Its even being exported overseas by Nigerians.

In any instance where you see a boss in Nigeria who is overly religious, rest assured the incidence of the juju worshippers in other workplaces far outnumbers that. In the north, people take time off for the daily prayer if they want to, not so? You said nothing about that. undecided

But if you have your qualifications and are good at what you do, people will evaluate you not on the basis of your religion but by your abilities. Even in Nigeria. That failing, you keep moving until you find somewhere that suits your taste,imo.

Its a rat race back home.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Greatest Problem Facing Christianity Till Now Are The Judaizers / Christians, I Am Tired Of This Merry Go Round! Where Does God Come From? / America Celebrates Apostle Dr. T.O. Obadare Live! Join The Service Now LIVE..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.