Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,633 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:16 PM

Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? (37668 Views)

Did Nigeria Ever Play Against India And Lost 99-1 ? / IPOB: Why Can’t Nigeria Move On Without Biafra? / Video: Why Did Nigeria Erase Bightof Biafra From The Map? – Ben Bruce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by Exc2000: 2:41pm On Oct 05, 2019
southpole:
It was a fact released by the then FTC minister El- Rufai years ago which can be checked by anybody.

send the link of reputable media house covering his story saying that.. besides during el rufai abuja doesnt have a gis in place
Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by AdoIfHitlerr(f): 2:46pm On Oct 05, 2019
[s]
Exc2000:

send the link of reputable media house covering his story saying that.. besides during el rufai abuja doesnt have a gis in place
[/s]
Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by Sirwallace(m): 2:56pm On Oct 05, 2019
ejimatic:
It was conceived by Murhatala Mohammed and developed by Obasanjo but Babangida ensured it became fulfilled in 1991...

Then it must be conceived around 75 & 76 and not beyond 78 with was posted

1 Like

Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by southpole: 2:57pm On Oct 05, 2019
Exc2000:

For your information AGIS was established by El- Rufai and I don't know why you are so lazy to contact AGIS to clear your doubt Google will lead you to AGIS. Sound like you are an Igbo person and probably think Igbos don't have a stake in Abuja because you have been deceived with the illusion of Igbo marginalization. Are you also doubting that Igbos control commercial activities in almost all the state capitals in Nigeria including Lagos, Kano and Kaduna?. Or why do you think that people like us are saying that Biafra will never be? Because most of the richest people in the south east have these businesses and landed properties and will never agree that the country should break.
Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by Exc2000: 3:01pm On Oct 05, 2019
southpole:
[s] For your information AGIS was established by El- Rufai and I don't know why you are so lazy to contact AGIS to clear your doubt Google will lead you to AGIS. Sound like you are an Igbo person and probably think Igbos don't have a stake in Abuja because you have been deceived with the illusion of Igbo marginalization. Are you also doubting that Igbos control commercial activities in almost all the state capitals in Nigeria including Lagos, Kano and Kaduna?. Or why do you think that people like us are saying that Biafra will never be? Because most of the richest people in the south east have these businesses and landed properties and will never agree that the country should break. [/s]

leave story... too much talks sounds like falacy... please for God sake share the link of where elrufai said so
Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by Honesty007(m): 3:10pm On Oct 05, 2019
The finger of Gods judgment on Gowon for hosting a great world idol festival that brought about "Festac 77" that also accomodated worldidolatry
bloodwas spilt that day and a satanic host invited as Nigeria's doors were flung open for desecration.
God decided to punish the sin of idolatry by removing his glory and taking away such abomination away.
Gods finger removed Nigeria's capital from lagos as OBJ who became the modern Nebuchadennezar was thrown into prison for cordinating the worlds greatest Idolatrous Festival
Lagos became a spiritual sodom and gommorah with the arrival of new gods.
i heard that the new capitals foundation waslaid with 7 beheaded souls.its a bloody capital too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by AdoIfHitlerr(f): 3:14pm On Oct 05, 2019
[s]
Exc2000:

leave story... too much talks sounds like falacy... please for God sake share the link of where elrufai said so
[/s]
Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by ejimatic: 3:21pm On Oct 05, 2019
Sirwallace:

Then it must be conceived around 75 & 76 and not beyond 78 with was posted
Yes and correct
Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by Nevergree: 5:27pm On Oct 05, 2019
post=82854034:

Good thread.
Good and reasonable reason.

God bless Nigeria

You see yourself...

Pls answer the question on this picture...

Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by engrchykae(m): 5:30pm On Oct 05, 2019
BrutusOj:
I disagree, Kogi is better, north, East and west are close to Kogi unlike Abuja that is inclined to the North only.
but the kogi people are too strong for the hausa fulani to subjugate as they easily subjugated the Gwaris.
do you now get the idea?

1 Like

Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by nlPoster: 5:31pm On Oct 05, 2019
I wonder how you were raised is more polite than rudely demanding who raised you.

Says more about the person asking and how they question their own upbringing.
Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by southpole: 5:36pm On Oct 05, 2019
Exc2000:

ok, I know your type. Bye

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by tck2000(m): 12:22pm On Oct 06, 2019
Some people eh
Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by b03liberty(m): 9:14pm On Oct 06, 2019
Chukapage:
No nation puts their capital in a Coastal area like Lagos it's dangerous! A possible military invasion might happen ,and Lagos at it's strategic position will be destroyed easily. Imagine invading a country and you capture and destroy the capital first it's a disgrace.Abuja is in the middle that's why it's CAPITAL. There is no tribal motive behind it ,it's just common sense.Do you know a feirce enemy with strong Navy and military hardware's can even SINK Lagos? Whoever shifted the CAPITAL was a Genius! It would not have even be wise to allow the capital be in the coastal city of CALABAR either.
. You are amazing in your explanation. Thank you.
Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by nnamdi65(m): 8:10pm On Oct 07, 2019
Not anymore, Abuja is more populated than just last year.
Abuja actually have plenty municipal towns and villages that not inside the main Abuja city but on its terrory. Municipals like Gwarinpa Estate, Mararaba town, Kubwa, Lugbe Gwagwalada and many more towns and village's Abuja Population is actually more larger than pple outside abuja actually thinks.
Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by Grandlord: 11:43am On Oct 17, 2019
Booksrite001 did you write a script that shares every post on nairaland? Are you testing it out?
Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by Nowenuse: 11:35am On Oct 18, 2019
FarahAideed:
The north wanted the seat of govt out of the south !!!!! It had nothing to do with over population of Lagos

But Abuja is more of central Nigeria than it is north. Lokoja & Jos were other options of consideration for the capital of Nigeria.

Lagos was so much into the heart of a majority group's region and it was very much unfair.
Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by Nowenuse: 11:38am On Oct 18, 2019
funmike83:
Cos it is closer to the north where they dictate power, most of the rich men from the north reside there

No, I think most rich business men in the north reside in Kano. Most rich civil servants in the north Kaduna.
It is more of the rich northern politicians and political appointees that reside in Abuja.

However, Abuja is not Hausa land. Hausas and the indigenes clash regularly.
Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by booksrite001: 1:22pm On Oct 21, 2019
Grandlord:
Booksrite001 did you write a script that shares every post on nairaland? Are you testing it out?

Let's not call everything 'scripts'.
And also, let's remove 'every' .

Nice observation though. Yes. It's alive already. What do you think?
Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by Grandlord: 1:43pm On Oct 21, 2019
booksrite001:

Let's not call everything 'scripts'.
And also, let's remove 'every' .

Nice observation though. Yes. It's alive already. What do you think?
Yeah I know. Was only exaggerating.

I think it is a bit of a nuisance to users on here getting to see all of their posts being shared. I mean, to what end? I'm eager to know.
Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by booksrite001: 7:25pm On Oct 21, 2019
Grandlord:
Yeah I know. Was only exaggerating.

I think it is a bit of a nuisance to users on here getting to see all of their posts being shared. I mean, to what end? I'm eager to know.

Well, at a time, I was sharing a lot of posts without minding who owns them... So some people got like tens of their posts shared which pretty got them talking, etc.

So I optimized to share someone's post just once. I guess that has been working as I got no further complaint.

So basically, once I share your comment, that will be the first and last time.
Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by Grandlord: 8:40pm On Oct 21, 2019
booksrite001:

Well, at a time, I was sharing a lot of posts without minding who owns them... So some people got like tens of their posts shared which pretty got them talking, etc.

So I optimized to share someone's post just once. I guess that has been working as I got no further complaint.

So basically, once I share your comment, that will be the first and last time.
This man sha. grin So school me on how you wrote that code. Looks like something you'd do with selenium or Beautifulsoup on Python smiley
Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by Base1line: 9:30pm On Oct 21, 2019
How did your illiterate father know that Igbos is the largest land older in Abuja ?
So your father foolishly assumed with all the looting Igbo claim as been orchestrated by the same Aboki they will still open their eyes and allow you own 5% of Abuja ? You are definitely high on foolishness, I am sure ven God can not save you from the level of bigotry and acute foolishness.

BizLifeE:
okay let me give a different view from Kennedy’s cabal theory.
Lagos was deeply entrenched in the heartland of one of the main ethnic groups in Nigeria and there was no chance it was going to loosen up. Contrary to the widely held belief in the South of Nigeria, Abuja is not Hausa land but the minority Gwari tribe. Igbo people from South of Nigeria are now the largest land holders in Abuja.

Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by booksrite001: 8:27am On Oct 23, 2019
Grandlord:
This man sha. grin So school me on how you wrote that code. Looks like something you'd do with selenium or Beautifulsoup on Python smiley

Shai.. It's pretty easy to do anything once you understand the system. I used basic http-wrapped methods to spool. Nothing a big deal. The most important thing is to understand the system.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by goldman777: 9:36am On Oct 23, 2019
fergie001:

The OP's submissions are valid and it was a decision that bore all semblance of correctness.
Coastal (easy to be subject to attack),
Infrastructural expansion deficit, and
Dominance of a particular major ethnic group, having just come out from a civil war.
The exact reasons why Brazil moved from Rio de Janeiro to Brasilia.

Moreover, they wanted a central rallying point for the country, hence Abuja.

The man who headed the panel that decided it was Abuja wasn't a Northerner...he is Yoruba, Justice Akinola Aguda.

The panel concluded its work and submitted to the then Head of State, Gen. Murtala Muhammed who announced it 7 days before his assassination.

PS:
The capital moved to Abuja from Lagos on the 12th of December 1991 and not in 1993.

PANEL COMMITTEE MEMBERS WHO DECIDED IT WAS ABUJA
Hon. Justice T. Akinola Aguda, Chairman
Dr. Tai Solarin, Member
Col. Monsignor Pedro Martins, Member
Alhaji Muhammad Musa Isma, Member
Chief Owen Feibai, Member
Dr. Ajato Gandonu, Member
Professor, O. K. Ogan, Member
Under military regime in a room surrounded by soldiers of a northern president is it not obvious it was just a mock meeting to use Southerners when the site of the capital was selected already if this happened under a democratic dispensation like shagari I'd have agreed there was no bias siteing Abuja in northern lands
Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by fergie001: 10:08am On Oct 23, 2019
goldman777:

Under military regime in a room surrounded by soldiers of a northern president is it not obvious it was just a mock meeting to use Southerners when the site of the capital was selected already if this happened under a democratic dispensation like shagari I'd have agreed there was no bias siteing Abuja in northern lands
Some of these reasons are valid.

There is no room for expansion in Lagos.
Security-wise, wasn't the best.

I am not unmindful there could be other reasons, but I believe these reasons are very very valid on a neutral basis.

Let me also inform that do you know that a country known as Burma moved their capital from Rangoon to Naypidaw..you know why?

The Government simply gave no reasons till date.
Rumours have it that an astrologer predicted doom and economic hardship if they remained at Rangoon.

It could be laughable some times.

Take for instance, a country like Benin Rep., whose capital has been Porto-Novo but administrative duties have remained in Cotonou for years, infact they build more administrative structures in Cotonou till date.

So many many examples.
It could be crazy atimes, but I believe it's something that we all can agree it shouldn't have remained in Lagos.
Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by Grandlord: 10:33am On Oct 23, 2019
booksrite001:

Shai.. It's pretty easy to do anything once you understand the system. I used basic http-wrapped methods to spool. Nothing a big deal. The most important thing is to understand the system.
My bad. I'm still a newbie in web dev. I've only just learnt python that's why I'm thinking python every time. I guess I'm just overexcited grin

Well, I've just started learning html/CSS this week and after that I'll learn a CMS then go over to JS and PHP. Maybe by then I'll understand the system better. cool
Re: Why Did Nigeria Move Its Capital From Lagos To Abuja? by booksrite001: 2:04pm On Oct 23, 2019
Grandlord:
My bad. I'm still a newbie in web dev. I've only just learnt python that's why I'm thinking python every time. I guess I'm just overexcited grin

Well, I've just started learning html/CSS this week and after that I'll learn a CMS then go over to JS and PHP. Maybe by then I'll understand the system better. cool

Yea... Cool. You might want to consider taking CSS courses on W3Schools. They even have certifications.
You learn faster when you read existing codes and you try to re-create them.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

DSS Denies Arresting EFCC Boss, Ibrahim Magu / Police Tear-Gas Tinubu’s Supporters, Journalists At APC Primaries Venue / Tinubu’s Muslim-Muslim Ticket Caused APC’s Defeat In Lagos: Sanwo-Olu (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.