Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,402 members, 7,958,163 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 10:05 AM

Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? (809 Views)

Nigerian Lady Goes To Church With A Gun (Photos) / Pastor Shows Up In A Church With A Gun (Video) / American Priest Sprays Holy Water From Squirt Gun To Maintain Social Distancing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? by luap1990(m): 10:04am On Sep 24, 2017
Should a Christian keep a gun to protect himself from other humans?

While Christians may take reasonable steps to ensure their personal security, they do so within the framework of Bible principles. This advice against the use of carnal weapons, such as handguns, rifles, or other firearms, for protection against other humans.
Consider the following:
In Jehovah’s eyes, life—especially human life—is sacred. The psalmist David knew that Jehovah “is the source of life.” (Ps. 36:9) Hence, if a Christian chooses to take reasonable measures to defend himself or his property, he would do everything in his power to avoid taking a human life and becoming bloodguilty.​—Deut. 22:8; Ps. 51:14.
Although using any number of objects could lead to incurring bloodguilt, guns make it easier to kill someone​ accidentally or deliberately. * Moreover, if an attacker​—who may already be tense—​sees that the other person has a firearm, the situation is very likely to escalate and a death might result.
When Jesus told his followers to equip themselves with swords on the final night of his life on earth, he did not have protection in mind. (Luke 22:36, 38) Rather, Jesus had them bring a sword for an object lesson to teach them not to resort to violence, even when confronted by an armed crowd. (Luke 22:52) After Peter wielded one of the swords against the high priest’s slave, Jesus commanded Peter: “Return your sword to its place.” Then Jesus stated a fundamental truth, a principle that guides his followers to this day: “All those who take up the sword will perish by the sword.”​—Matt. 26:51, 52.
In harmony with Micah 4:3, God’s people “beat their swords into ploughshares​ and their spears into pruning shears.” This identifying trait of true Christians harmonizes with the apostle Paul’s inspired exhortation: “Return evil for evil to no one. . . . If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men.” (Rom. 12:17, 18) Despite the many troubles that Paul experienced, including “dangers from robbers,” he lived by his words, never putting personal security above Scriptural principles. (2 Cor. 11:26) Instead, he trusted in God and in the wisdom found in His Word​—wisdom that “is better than weapons of war.”​—Eccl. 9:18.
Christians consider life to be far more valuable than material things. “Life does not result from the things [a man] possesses.” (Luke 12:15) Thus, if a mild tongue fails to stop an armed robber, wise Christians heed the principle embodied in Jesus’ words: “Do not resist the one who is wicked.” It may even require that we give up our inner and outer garments, so to speak. (Matt. 5:39, 40; Luke 6:29) * The best strategy, of course, is prevention. If we shun “the showy display of [our] means of life” and are known by our neighbours​ as peace-loving Witnesses of Jehovah, we may avoid being targeted by violent criminals.​—1 John 2:16; Prov. 18:10.
Christians respect others’ consciences. (Rom. 14:21) If it became known that a member of the congregation kept a gun for protection against humans, some fellow believers might be shocked, even stumbled. Love moves us to put others’ interests ahead of our own, even when that means putting aside what we may feel is a legal right.​—1 Cor. 10:32, 33; 13:4, 5.
Christians strive to be exemplary. (2 Cor. 4:2; 1 Pet. 5:2, 3) After receiving Scriptural counsel, a Christian who continues to keep a gun for protection against other humans could not be considered exemplary. He would therefore not qualify for responsibilities or special privileges in the congregation. The same applies to a Christian who continues to carry a firearm as part of his secular work. How much better to seek other employment! *
How a Christian chooses to protect himself, his family, or his possessions is, of course, largely a personal matter, as is his choice of employment. That said, Bible principles reflect God’s wisdom and his love for us. Out of regard for those principles, spiritually mature Christians choose not to keep a firearm for protection against other humans. They know that true and lasting security comes to those who demonstrate trust in God by living in harmony with Bible principles.​—Ps. 97:10; Prov. 1:33; 2:6, 7.
20 .
Re: Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? by dingbang(m): 10:05am On Sep 24, 2017
No....

1 Like

Re: Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? by MhizzAJ(f): 10:12am On Sep 24, 2017
I don't think so
Re: Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? by Nutase: 10:52am On Sep 24, 2017
If you can afford it. Yes.

1 Like

Re: Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? by An2elect2(f): 11:06am On Sep 24, 2017
If it's lawful to keep a gun, then you can keep a gun. Why it would be lawful in the first place would be to scare away(not kill) thieves or terrorists in your neighborhood.

But I believe as believers the Lord would never put us in a tight corner without providing a way of escape for us
Re: Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? by ScepticalPyrrho: 11:09am On Sep 24, 2017
An2elect2:
If it's lawful to keep a gun, then you can keep a gun. Why it would be lawful in the first place would be to scare away(not kill) thieves or terrorists in your neighborhood.

But I believe as believers the Lord would never put us in a tight corner without providing a way of escape for us

But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. - Matthew 5:39 KJV
Re: Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? by 1stflight: 11:13am On Sep 24, 2017
luap1990:

Ask the question below and you find answer
to your question:
"Should a christian rely on others carrying a gun to protect him?"

How do i mean: in case you sense armed robbers raiding in your area at night and you know they might get to your appartment, should you alert any gun carrying men to the rescue(if possible)? If YES, for what reason??

To me HYPOCRISY is another name for religion, christianity especially.
Re: Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? by An2elect2(f): 11:23am On Sep 24, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. - Matthew 5:39 KJV
You are correct. But keeping a weapon is not same as revenging. If the law permits keeping a gun, for what reason would it be? Definitely not for us to take laws into our hands but to keep threats away.

Like I said before believers are secured in Christ and would always have a way out of this.
Re: Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? by ScepticalPyrrho: 11:25am On Sep 24, 2017
An2elect2:
You are correct. But keeping a weapon is not same as revenging. If the law permits keeping a gun, for what reason would it be? Definitely not for us to take laws into our hands but to keep threats away.

Like I said before believers are secured in Christ and would always have a way out of this.
Are believers threatened?
Re: Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? by An2elect2(f): 11:42am On Sep 24, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
Are believers threatened?
Yes they can be like anyone
Re: Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? by ScepticalPyrrho: 11:45am On Sep 24, 2017
An2elect2:
Yes they can be like anyone
Why can they be threatened when they believe in an all-powerful daddy in the sky?

Perhaps, they don't really believe...
Re: Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? by An2elect2(f): 11:53am On Sep 24, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
Why can they be threatened when they believe in an all-powerful daddy in the sky?

Perhaps, they don't really believe...

If Christians are not threatened how would God prove He has them covered? And how would we continue to trust God if He is not rescuing us from trouble.

That's how our faith in God grows. Through trials and tribulations. For every phase of suffering there is victory at the end.
Re: Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? by Dnockeror333(m): 12:08pm On Sep 24, 2017
luap1990:

Unbelieve and faithlessness causes it. We are not of the world....

Though the Earth rage and sages Wreath in waves, our hope should be on our Immortal!

Goto:
Ephesians: 6:9-10

"We do not fight the way which this world fights..."

1 Like

Re: Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? by ScepticalPyrrho: 12:12pm On Sep 24, 2017
An2elect2:

If Christians are not threatened how would God prove He has them covered? And how would we continue to trust God if He is not rescuing us from trouble.
Beats me, a swear! grin

That's how our faith in God grows diminish. Through trials and tribulations. For every phase of suffering there is victory nothing at the end.
Seriously, that's how faith diminish.

All you need realize is that your God let's you get threatened and does nothing in the end... but when you do realize, you just make up another excuse, don't you?
Re: Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? by DJperdurabo: 12:14pm On Sep 24, 2017
luap1990:

No, dey there dey look.

Angel Michael go run kon protect you when yawa bust!
Re: Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? by Dnockeror333(m): 12:16pm On Sep 24, 2017
1stflight:

Ask the question below and you find answer
to your question:
"Should a christian rely on others carrying a gun to protect him?"

How do i mean: in case you sense armed robbers raiding in your area at night and you know they might get to your appartment, should you alert any gun carrying men to the rescue(if possible)? If YES, for what reason??

To me HYPOCRISY is another name for religion, christianity especially.

Are you a saint? A worldless believer in the Holy One?

Why call "199! 199!! 199!!!" for resque?

If you have the worlds goods then, brother, fear and call flesh men to keep your fleshy wealth save!
Mscheeew...!

Call on the name of the Holy One, He will protect you, He is your protector. He is your preserver. Be faithful and true, keep calm.

For if you keep His commands, then why fear?

The Lord watches over those who hope in His Mercy (to even if its time) save their souls from death...
Re: Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? by An2elect2(f): 12:17pm On Sep 24, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
Beats me, a swear! grin

Seriously, that's how faith diminish.

All you need realize is that your God let's you get threatened and does nothing in the end... but when you do realize, you just make up another excuse, don't you?

Straws? Has all failed?

Seems like you know my name and I don't.
Re: Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? by ScepticalPyrrho: 12:21pm On Sep 24, 2017
An2elect2:

Straws? Has all failed?

Seems like you know my name and I don't.

Yes,
Your name is believer"self-deceiver" wink
Re: Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? by 1stflight: 1:26pm On Sep 24, 2017
Dnockeror333:

Are you a saint? A worldless believer in the Holy One?

Why call "199! 199!! 199!!!" for resque?

If you have the worlds goods then, brother, fear and call flesh men to keep your fleshy wealth save!
Mscheeew...!

Call on the name of the Holy One, He will protect you, He is your protector. He is your preserver. Be faithful and true, keep calm.

For if you keep His commands, then why fear?

The Lord watches over those who hope in His Mercy (to even if its time) save their souls from death...

I see......

Will you hire a security man in your house or pay for vigilante or night guard in your area?
Re: Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? by Dnockeror333(m): 2:53pm On Sep 24, 2017
1stflight:

I see......

Will you hire a security man in your house or pay for vigilante or night guard in your area?

godonlasticariga falésé!

My house? Oh my Father, though that Thou great King will give thine slave the freedom of an eagle upon this temporal shore (wealth which I would not sweat for, that if I run it will follow, if I go naked on the street for His name sake, wealth will glue to me)then, just as in eternity, my doors, either night or day would never be close to save all way farer! No fence, nor a close door!

Why should we employ one or pay for one?

Dont you know that this men who took body gaurds up and down even though the time and place be dangerous are either FEARFUL, OR have charms, or monies inside their deep secret?

Go and ask about it!

Why should we when we said "we are born of the controller of each single soul created by Himself in the universe"?

We, we we; not them!

Take your cross and lets sojourn brothers in the Truth!
Re: Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? by Lex11(m): 3:48pm On Sep 24, 2017
The danger in getting a gun is that you run the risk of trusting in it for protection... and anything or anyone that we trust in will fail.

God is all powerful, faithful, merciful and never fails... if He wants to save you He will (Like Daniel in the lions den [Daniel chapter 6], like Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego in the fiery furnace [Daniel chapter 3], etc). If you are the Lord's, then you are His, on this planet or anywhere else (Romans 8:38-39).

Take this from someone who's starred down the barrels of AK 47s, wielded by 4 robbers - I didn't lie down and they left empty handed... God confused them there.

----

"Through thee will we push down our enemies: through thy name will we tread them under that rise up against us. For I will not trust in my bow, neither shall my sword save me. But thou hast saved us from our enemies, and hast put them to shame that hated us." - Psalm 44:5-7
Re: Should A Christian Keep A Gun To Protect Himself From Other Humans? by luap1990(m): 7:09pm On Sep 24, 2017
While Christians may take reasonable steps to ensure their personal security, they do so within the framework of Bible principles. This advice against the use of carnal weapons, such as handguns, rifles, or other firearms, for protection against other humans.

Consider the following:

In Jehovah’s eyes, life—especially human life—is sacred. The psalmist David knew that Jehovah “is the source of life.” (Ps. 36:9) Hence, if a Christian chooses to take reasonable measures to defend himself or his property, he would do everything in his power to avoid taking a human life and becoming bloodguilty.​—Deut. 22:8; Ps. 51:14.

Although using any number of objects could lead to incurring bloodguilt, guns make it easier to kill someone​ accidentally or deliberately. * Moreover, if an attacker​—who may already be tense—​sees that the other person has a firearm, the situation is very likely to escalate and a death might result.

When Jesus told his followers to equip themselves with swords on the final night of his life on earth, he did not have protection in mind. (Luke 22:36, 38) Rather, Jesus had them bring a sword for an object lesson to teach them not to resort to violence, even when confronted by an armed crowd. (Luke 22:52) After Peter wielded one of the swords against the high priest’s slave, Jesus commanded Peter: “Return your sword to its place.” Then Jesus stated a fundamental truth, a principle that guides his followers to this day: “All those who take up the sword will perish by the sword.”​—Matt. 26:51, 52.

In harmony with Micah 4:3, God’s people “beat their swords into ploughshares​ and their spears into pruning shears.” This identifying trait of true Christians harmonizes with the apostle Paul’s inspired exhortation: “Return evil for evil to no one. . . . If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men.” (Rom. 12:17, 18) Despite the many troubles that Paul experienced, including “dangers from robbers,” he lived by his words, never putting personal security above Scriptural principles. (2 Cor. 11:26) Instead, he trusted in God and in the wisdom found in His Word​—wisdom that “is better than weapons of war.”​—Eccl. 9:18.

Christians consider life to be far more valuable than material things. “Life does not result from the things [a man] possesses.” (Luke 12:15) Thus, if a mild tongue fails to stop an armed robber, wise Christians heed the principle embodied in Jesus’ words: “Do not resist the one who is wicked.” It may even require that we give up our inner and outer garments, so to speak. (Matt. 5:39, 40; Luke 6:29) * The best strategy, of course, is prevention. If we shun “the showy display of [our] means of life” and are known by our neighbours​ as peace-loving Witnesses of Jehovah, we may avoid being targeted by violent criminals.​—1 John 2:16; Prov. 18:10.

Christians respect others’ consciences. (Rom. 14:21) If it became known that a member of the congregation kept a gun for protection against humans, some fellow believers might be shocked, even stumbled. Love moves us to put others’ interests ahead of our own, even when that means putting aside what we may feel is a legal right.​—1 Cor. 10:32, 33; 13:4, 5.

Christians strive to be exemplary. (2 Cor. 4:2; 1 Pet. 5:2, 3) After receiving Scriptural counsel, a Christian who continues to keep a gun for protection against other humans could not be considered exemplary. He would therefore not qualify for responsibilities or special privileges in the congregation. The same applies to a Christian who continues to carry a firearm as part of his secular work. How much better to seek other employment! *

How a Christian chooses to protect himself, his family, or his possessions is, of course, largely a personal matter, as is his choice of employment. That said, Bible principles reflect God’s wisdom and his love for us. Out of regard for those principles, spiritually mature Christians choose not to keep a firearm for protection against other humans. They know that true and lasting security comes to those who demonstrate trust in God by living in harmony with Bible principles.​—Ps. 97:10; Prov. 1:33; 2:6, 7.

(1) (Reply)

Bishop Oyedepo S Questions To Federal Government On Herdsmen / Bishop Oyedepo Trolls Those Who Are Waiting For Change (video) / God Left The Nigerian Church When Comedians Started Climbing Our Pulpit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.