Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O (10804 Views)

Relocating To Abuja From Lagos / Is Relocating To Namibia Worth It As A Nigerian? / Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by frankkky: 6:00pm On Mar 04, 2010
do u know it is more expensive bringing up a child educationally in nigeria than in europe,how i came to this conclusion?i just came back from nigeria yesterday,you see because of the present reccsioin europe i have been having the idea of taking my family back to nigeria to start a new life,so i decided to visit home first alone to asses things,school fees in nigerian private pry schools are so high,my kids attend govt schools here in europe but to my greatest surprise only a few private schools i saw in nigeria that can compare in standard to the govt school my kids attend here(which i dont pay anything)lets not even talk talk about public schools in naija.
the schools that were up to international standards in naija are few and very very very expensive,my conclusion?my kids are gonna remain here o cos i now count myself lucky that my kids are having the best of education FREE WHAT MORE CAN ONE ASK?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by Nobody: 6:24pm On Mar 04, 2010
^^^U said it ALL, our educational system in Nigeria is TRASH!
Not evry1 in 9ja can afford sending their children to private schs. . . . . . .infact, primary sch teachers [public] routinly goes on "compulsory" strike yearly nt 2 talk abt secondary to tertiary inst.
Abeg, giv ur children da BEST of Edu in Europe.
Wish ur children all da BEST. Lol
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by Nobody: 7:15pm On Mar 04, 2010
German Family Fled to US for Educational Freedom

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,3979558,00.html

US grants German homeschoolers asylum

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2010/0302/US-grants-German-homeschoolers-asylum.-Will-others-follow
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by frankkky: 7:34pm On Mar 04, 2010
thanks tamita,let me say this again,think twice before relocating if u still have kids in school here
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by Fhemmmy: 7:39pm On Mar 04, 2010
But also, if you have a good clique in Nigeria, yu can make very good money
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by snowdrops(m): 9:30pm On Mar 04, 2010
frankkky:

do u know it is more expensive bringing up a child educationally in nigeria than in europe,how i came to this conclusion?i just came back from nigeria yesterday,you see because of the present reccsioin europe i have been having the  idea of taking my family back to nigeria to start a new life,so i decided to visit home first alone to asses things,school fees in nigerian private pry schools are so high,my kids attend govt schools here in europe but to my greatest surprise only a few private schools i saw in nigeria that can compare in standard to the govt school my kids attend here(which i dont pay anything)lets not even talk talk about public schools in naija.
the schools that were up to international standards in naija are few and very very very expensive,my conclusion?my kids are gonna remain here o cos i now count myself lucky that my kids are having the best of education FREE WHAT MORE CAN ONE ASK?
Exactly the dilemma i find myself in.
The concern is you want your children to imbibe your traditions, cultuure and way of life by undergoing all or part of their education in Nigeria.
Children born and bred and educated overseas, then going on to work there, get married and have children, hmmm.
This is a massive generational change i guess. Its the "price to be paid" for being an akatarian.
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by Fhemmmy: 9:38pm On Mar 04, 2010
Kids dont have to live in nigeria to learn about the culture and all that.
they cld be visiting and they will understand well
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by snowdrops(m): 9:40pm On Mar 04, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Kids dont have to live in nigeria to learn about the culture and all that.
they cld be visiting and they will understand well
I agree. But it could be expensive making all the numerous journeys along with some risk of numerous traveling.
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by Nobody: 1:59am On Mar 05, 2010
i thought it's been proved time and time again that children raised abroad can be just as Nigerian as the ones at home, if their parents want it that way.

The only difference is they (naija kids abroad) have electricity, running water, good roads and well paying blue collar jobs while they're waiting for their big break. Aside from all that, they're regular Nigerians.
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by Nobody: 12:36pm On Mar 05, 2010
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by snowdrops(m): 3:20pm On Mar 05, 2010
tpia.:

i thought it's been proved time and time again that children raised abroad can be just as Nigerian as the ones at home, if their parents want it that way.

The only difference is they (naija kids abroad) have electricity, running water, good roads and well paying blue collar jobs while they're waiting for their big break. Aside from all that, they're regular Nigerians.
I disagree. No matter the level of parental supervision there are shed loads of difference.
You cant eat your cake and have it.

1 Like

Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by rbn: 3:37pm On Mar 05, 2010
Its alarming how some of these private school charge as tuition fee. My niece came home yesterday with a note from her school that they will take them on excursion to Olumo rock and each student is expected to pay a whooping sum of 6000 NAIRA. Imagine, just from Lagos - Abeokuta.
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by snowdrops(m): 8:53pm On Mar 05, 2010
rbn:

Its alarming how some of these private school charge as tuition fee. My niece came home yesterday with a note from her school that they will take them on[b] excursion to Olumo rock[/b] and each student is expected to pay a whooping sum of 6000 NAIRA. Imagine, just from Lagos - Abeokuta.
Its business first, education second
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by mercydrops: 10:05pm On Mar 06, 2010
You are a thoughful father no matter the reccession in Europe its still better they are there most of the luxury we get here cheap you pay a hell in Nigeria ,I am 4days old in America my dad just Got me in through green card immigrant visa, there is nothing there you kid are better of there in europe it good you have gone to see things your self and not get there with your children to later realise . You are a wise father and you will eat from your labour those children will be profitable and productive for you in Jesus name Amen

1 Like

Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by AjanleKoko: 1:27pm On Mar 07, 2010
@Poster and the rest,

Not quite true.
Not all the schools are as expensive you guys tout them. Only the likes of Greensprings, Lekki British High School, etc, are that expensive.
Even the famous Corona doesn't charge 700k per term. Besides, schools boku for Lagos. You have the private schools, missionary schools like Igbobi College, Baptist Academy, Maryland, etc. Even university staff schools like ISL and ISI. They are reasonably okay, and are quite cheap. Why you sef dey look for trouble?

I'm sure if you wanted to put your kids in the Etons and Harrows of this world, or any of those posh finishing schools in Europe or the US, you would pay top sterling.
How much do you pay for creche in the UK? Some people pay as much as GBP800 a month or even more. That is the price for the most expensive of day care centers in Lagos. Besides, if you aren't coming to pick up a cushy job, why would you even go near Lekki British or Atlantic Hall?

Just as a final note, remember that we have many expatriates in Nigeria, whose kids attend Indian school, Lebanese school, etc. Some of them attend British and American schools. You don't hear them lamenting. They simply shut up and enrol their kids in Naija, since they know the kind of pepper they are being paid.
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by DisGuy: 4:24pm On Mar 07, 2010
tpia.:

Very true just depends on the parents involved

and I agree with ajalekoko

There are different categories of schools Lagos just some are adding the typical naija 'status' fees to them
and depends on where you live as well- distance to school
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by Nobody: 9:40pm On Mar 07, 2010
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by AjanleKoko: 2:49pm On Mar 08, 2010
ftmom:

Mister Ajanlekoko, I don't tell untruths, don't need to.

I reiterate that

Before jumping in to add "per term" in your post, you should have done yourself a favor and confirmed my post said the N700k is per term. Since most reasonable people realise AIS and BIS would be more expensive than average and I said they , how did it make sense for you to conclude the N700k on average for non-BIS, AIS is per term undecided undecided If it makes sense to you, fine, just do not deliberately misquote me, thank you.

Before accusing people that do not know you of lying, do think deeply, I do not appreciate mischief.

Tut, tut. Such strong words. Ki lo de?
Okay, fair enough. My bad on the 'per term'. Are you happy now?
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by Nobody: 1:58am On Mar 09, 2010
i mean who are we kidding?!
- the price of housing that is sky-rocketting: N2mill and up per yr for decent housing in decent location, wtf!!!!
- high crime rate that would have you barricade the family at home.
- traffic jam to and from work even though you would pay high premium rent to live on the island.
- fuel shortage that will have you or your driver (if you can afford one) wait hours in line for a half tank of gas.
- electricity shortage that will have you put on a gen 24/7.

so even if finding a great school was easy then there would still be lots of things that needs fixing. . . . . . i guess the children would have to learn about 9ja from BOOKS or yearly holidays!
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by AjanleKoko: 5:32am On Mar 09, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

- the price of housing that is sky-rocketting: N2mill and up per yr for decent housing in decent location, wtf!!!!

Here we go again.
What are you guys reading online?

Only 4 or 5 bed duplexes go for N2 million in Lagos. Except for Ikoyi where are talking about serviced flats for $40k and up (even that is crashing by the day, cos there's a recession). By The way, Ikoyi isn't the only 'decent' location.

In a place like Ijeh housing estate (just beside Dolphin), you can get a very decent and spacious three bedroom apartment for around N800k a year (around GBP3,200). That is not bad, haba. How much on the average is rent, even in the Greater London area?

1 Like

Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by Nobody: 6:22am On Mar 09, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Here we go again.
What are you guys reading online?
Only 4 or 5 bed duplexes go for N2 million in Lagos. Except for Ikoyi where are talking about serviced flats for $40k and up (even that is crashing by the day, cos there's a recession). By The way, Ikoyi isn't the only 'decent' location.
In a place like Ijeh housing estate (just beside Dolphin), you can get a very decent and spacious three bedroom apartment for around N800k a year (around GBP3,200). That is not bad, haba. How much on the average is rent, even in the Greater London area?

sorry but if i ever want to pay London/Paris/NY rent, i stay in these places. comparing Lagos with all these places is &^%$#* to say the least. what you get here aside the rent for this price, you can never get in Lagos.
let me help you understand:
- clean accessible public transport.
- 24hrs abundance of water/electricity.
- access to fantastic free after work activities close by (parks, shopping, sports etc).
- safety to go out at night if i want to without fearing for my life.
its also known as a LIFESTYLE.

also if my children cant go outside and safely play by themselves then living in a tiny apt would also be out of the question and you would need the big duplex mansion with space for them to enjoy themselves since they wont be able to"safely step outside the gates" like they were used to back here.

do you really think that anyone leaving the hustle of any top world city would do so to go and live in some dodgy area of Lagos where they would have to sit hours every morning in the go slow?! talking about leaving one clean civilized enjoyable and manageable nightmare to go to the worst of the worst.

yes some people can do it, moving to 9ja living in Ajegunle in a tiny one bedroom apt with 3kids a wife and a few mistresses but that doesnt mean it has to be done. i know people living in the street and who are still happy, duh!
its all about what kind of quality of life you want for you and your family.
unless i was an evil person, i would NEVER let my kids go through a nightmare like this and it is my duty to give them what I consider the best/safest.
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by AjanleKoko: 10:50am On Mar 09, 2010
^^
Slow your roll jare.
Aren't you already living in a tiny apartment in England?
Also, apart from Ikoyi and VI, everywhere else is seedy?
Would have been nice to know where you lived before you left Nigeria o. wink
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by Nobody: 2:32pm On Mar 09, 2010
LOL you still dont get the point: living in a tiny apt in a civilized city where everything around you is almost "perfect" is as good as living in a duplex mansion in VI.

as for your question, i never lived in 9ja and the only few times we went on holiday we stayed in VI.
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by AjanleKoko: 10:16pm On Mar 09, 2010
MRbrownJAY:

LOL you still dont get the point: living in a tiny apt in a civilized city where everything around you is almost "perfect" is as good as living in a duplex mansion in VI.

as for your question, i never lived in 9ja and the only few times we went on holiday we stayed in VI.

Ah, afi bee.
I for no even bother respond then. You obviously know nothing about Lagos.
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by iice(f): 3:49am On Mar 12, 2010
With our educational system? grin cheesy
The quality of education in our generation don pass. . .these days if they manage to make it through without strike and with teachers who can actually communicate. . .count yourself lucky grin
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by AqRiUsAge(f): 3:53am On Mar 12, 2010
I like this topic. I was just wondering (just today) if it would be sensible of me to move back to Naija. Was thinking of moving back in 7-9yrs.

I miss my home sad
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by FBS: 8:16am On Mar 12, 2010
Why can't our public school be good like in the 70's and 80's or maybe even early 90s?
They were as good as cheap/FREE and the quality of education was HIGH then.
I remember them days of Ghanaian teachers. . .FGCs (now called Unity Schools).
What happened to all of them. . .?

Now I hear that, schools are normally closed any time Nigeria is playing football? Teachers going on strike? I mean wtf?

Private schools, I understand are very expensive!

snowdrops:

Exactly the dilemma i find myself in.
The concern is you want your children to imbibe your traditions, cultuure and way of life by undergoing all or part of their education in Nigeria.
Children born and bred and educated overseas, then going on to work there, get married and have children, hmmm.
This is a massive generational change i guess. Its the "price to be paid" for being an akatarian.
In fact that is my main concern.
However, I think the most "important" is the secondary school education. At this stage, children already know "whats up"! If you understand what I mean.
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by Nobody: 8:58pm On Mar 12, 2010
people should also back up their child's education after school.

i know some naija parents who could barely speak english yet encouraged their kids to do so.

note- i didnt say the kids dont speak a nigerian language.
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by alicianna(f): 1:47am On Mar 13, 2010
Hmmmmm food for thought. Actually just had this conversation earlier this week.
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by henry101(m): 11:19pm On May 22, 2010
What I find amusing is that my cousins(two) are presently in the Nigeria. (17 & 15years old)
The eldest is presently writing his SSCE after which He would come to Los Angeles for his degree.
They have lived all their lives in Los Angeles and are those kids u call "Oyinbo"
The funny aspect is that their parent prefered Lagos but they refused living in Lagos and headed to the east, (their home town) where they attend a boarding school.
They speak the igbo language and pidgin English and are very much aquitanted with the tradition (all this within two years) and are very comfortable with their lives. They ve learnt the Nigerian meaning of management, grin.
Their dad is just the middle-class family man and their mom has been the happiest mom ever since the transformation.
Rmbr they have never set their foot in Naija since they were kids.
And they have been doing great for two years and half.
They come and go back after summer vacations,
The younger ones here are getting ready for same treatment too, lol.
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by yommyuk: 11:10pm On May 23, 2010
[b]What I find amusing is that my cousins(two) are presently in the Nigeria. (17 & 15years old)
The eldest is presently writing his SSCE after which He would come to Los Angeles for his degree.
They have lived all their lives in Los Angeles and are those kids u call "Oyinbo"
The funny aspect is that their parent prefered Lagos but they refused living in Lagos and headed to the east, (their home town) where they attend a boarding school.
They speak the igbo language and pidgin English and are very much aquitanted with the tradition (all this within two years) and are very comfortable with their lives. They ve learnt the Nigerian meaning of management, .
Their dad is just the middle-class family man and their mom has been the happiest mom ever since the transformation.
Rmbr they have never set their foot in Naija since they were kids.
And they have been doing great for two years and half.
They come and go back after summer vacations,
The younger ones here are getting ready for same treatment too, lol.[/b]

CLASSIC!!!
FOOD FOR THOUGHT smiley
Re: Think Twice Before Relocating To Nigeria O by londoner: 10:55am On May 24, 2010
Well, people should think twice about any big decision like emigrating. However, it is planning rather than simply "thinking twice" that people should do. Many Nigerian will only consider moving to places like Lagos, so its no surprise that they will encounter the notorious Lagos traffic. Why not consider somewhere else in Nigeria? If its parks you want and a quite life, why not go to a city or state which has a bit more natural beauty such as Abuja? As far as I'm concerned, you can get much more in terms of accomodation in Abuja than you can in London, pound for pound.

As the OP said, education may be more expensive and there is only one reason, the lack of a suffient tax system in Nigeria. The OP is wrong to say that his/her children get free education. It is paid for by you and every other tax payer, and because of that the burden is SHARED and catered for long before your children went to school. That is why it is less of a burden. However, if you were to look at the actual cost in money that the state spends on your children's education, it would be much more than what you pay in Nigeria per child, its just that it will come from your pocket alone.

I must say, people should rather think twice about cleaving to the west as some type of utopian paradise. The same parks where you want you sons to play in are now the ones where they are being stabbed and shot.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help!!! US Embassy Says My Application Will Undergo Further Admin Processing / ‘abuja-kaduna Train Service Generates N100m Monthly’ / Judge Returns Air Peace File For Re-Assignment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.