Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,478 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:55 PM

Why Southern Nigeria Must Forget Restructure - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Southern Nigeria Must Forget Restructure (1022 Views)

Fani-kayode Reacts To Call For Relocation Of Herdsmen From Southern Nigeria / Northern Elders’ Forum Orders Fulani Herdsmen To Vacate Southern Nigeria / "Restructure Nigeria or We Leave" Punch Advert by Yoruba Elders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Southern Nigeria Must Forget Restructure by IkpuMmadu: 6:47pm On Sep 26, 2017
It dawned on me that many Southerners are not aware they cannot get 2/3rd majority needed for constitutional change in fact. No wonder they are against civil disobedience. Many of them are hoping against hope to get it.

Nigerians of Southern extraction are hoping for a restructure but beyond organising a TV speech for it and Ibadan declaration top it up with numerous Facebook updates, they cannot practically tell us how they can get 2/3rd to push a constitutional change.

All the Northern leaders and groups including the president have at one time or the other directed proponents of fiscal federalism to go through the required constitutional means. The Southerners nod in acknowledgement without giving a thought to how they intend to get this.

When I kept asking for reality and practical means on a thread, without getting an answer, it dawned on me that most people do not understand how this works.

Total of Federal House of representatives is 360. 2/3rd of it is 240. You need a total of 240 members of the house if representatives to vote a yes to restructuring.

The constitution asks for a 2/3rd majority. Not a simple majority.

The person I asked this question finally realized there are no practical means. I found it funny when he even suggested that, “the South will devise a means to force the North to come to accept”. He did not state details of these means but I am certain it cannot be a constitutionally recognized means because the law already told us how to change our Constitution.

These unwritten/unspoken ways he has in mind are undoubtedly illegal or at least unconventional ways which majority including himself have condemned.

I have a gift for anyone who is ready to show in practical terms what can be done at the House of Reps. to get 240 members.

I have tried to be magnanimous. Feel free to add Kwara and Kogi to South even though we know that’s not what it is. Both has 18 members in all.

You are free to subtract the Southern representative members from 240 and then tell us how you will make up the 240 from Northern House memebrs. You need at least 45 Northern House members (this is because I added Kwara and Kogi for the South. It should have been more).

https://etimes.com.ng/23-nigeria/
Re: Why Southern Nigeria Must Forget Restructure by softmind24: 7:13pm On Sep 26, 2017
angry
Re: Why Southern Nigeria Must Forget Restructure by Victornezzar: 7:37pm On Sep 26, 2017
Dis is ngeneukwenu for sure or a yoruba dude behind dis moniker
Re: Why Southern Nigeria Must Forget Restructure by Nobody: 8:01pm On Sep 26, 2017
IkpuMmadu:
It dawned on me that many Southerners are not aware they cannot get 2/3rd majority needed for constitutional change in fact. No wonder they are against civil disobedience. Many of them are hoping against hope to get it.

Nigerians of Southern extraction are hoping for a restructure but beyond organising a TV speech for it and Ibadan declaration top it up with numerous Facebook updates, they cannot practically tell us how they can get 2/3rd to push a constitutional change.

All the Northern leaders and groups including the president have at one time or the other directed proponents of fiscal federalism to go through the required constitutional means. The Southerners nod in acknowledgement without giving a thought to how they intend to get this.

When I kept asking for reality and practical means on a thread, without getting an answer, it dawned on me that most people do not understand how this works.

Total of Federal House of representatives is 360. 2/3rd of it is 240. You need a total of 240 members of the house if representatives to vote a yes to restructuring.

The person I asked this question finally realized there are no practical means. I found it funny when he even suggested that, “the South will devise a means to force the North to come to accept”. He did not state details of these means but I am certain it cannot be a constitutionally recognized means because the law already told us how to change our Constitution.

These unwritten/unspoken ways he has in mind are undoubtedly illegal or at least unconventional ways which majority including himself have condemned.

I have a gift for anyone who is ready to show in practical terms what can be done at the House of Reps. to get 240 members.

I have tried to be magnanimous. Feel free to add Kwara and Kogi to South even though we know that’s not what it is. Both has 18 members in all.

You are free to subtract the Southern representative members from 240 and then tell us how you will make up the 240 from Northern House memebrs. You need at least 45 Northern House members (this is because I added Kwara and Kogi for the South. It should have been more).

''Nigerians of Southern extraction! "

Yorubas are the ones hoping for a restructure.
Re: Why Southern Nigeria Must Forget Restructure by Greenback: 8:04pm On Sep 26, 2017
All ye enemies of Southern Nigeria and their conehead collabos,die by faya! Die die die die die die die die......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Southern Nigeria Must Forget Restructure by MetaPhysical: 8:19pm On Sep 26, 2017
IkpuMmadu:

Contrary to this unelightened input, Southerners are well positioned to know that renewing contracts for any sovereingty does not need authorization from any arm of the government. Perharps Northerners are not well versed and educated in the order of civic contracts to know that the National Assembly is an arm of government and the people's choice for a new government surpasses requirements of a constitution.

When people demand to have a new government or society, whatever constitution is in vogue becomes obsolete. A new constitution must be drafted and new powers granted to consumate the demands of the people. Northerners should update their knowledge on social order and civil contracts.

We are not shaking down here in South.

3 Likes

Re: Why Southern Nigeria Must Forget Restructure by MetaPhysical: 8:27pm On Sep 26, 2017
PrecisionFx:

''Nigerians of Southern extraction! "

Yorubas are the ones hoping for a restructure.

You damn right! We are not hoping for restructure, thats a wrong term. We demand....and will get this country restructured or we will ruin it for everybody.
Re: Why Southern Nigeria Must Forget Restructure by Isoko1stSon(m): 8:33pm On Sep 26, 2017
MetaPhysical:

You damn right! We are not hoping for restructure, thats a wrong term. We demand....and will get this country restructured or we will ruin it for everybody.

This are the only language understood by dem fula goats
Re: Why Southern Nigeria Must Forget Restructure by deedeedee1: 8:41pm On Sep 26, 2017
MetaPhysical:

If i may ask, how do you intend to ruin it?

1 Like

Re: Why Southern Nigeria Must Forget Restructure by Isoko1stSon(m): 8:46pm On Sep 26, 2017
deedeedee1:

If i may ask, how do you intend to ruin it?

Why are u Concerned ?
Re: Why Southern Nigeria Must Forget Restructure by deedeedee1: 8:47pm On Sep 26, 2017
Isoko1stSon:

Why are u Concerned ?
Why should I not be concerned?

1 Like

Re: Why Southern Nigeria Must Forget Restructure by Nobody: 9:10pm On Sep 26, 2017
MetaPhysical:

Contrary to this unelightened input, Southerners are well positioned to know that renewing contracts for any sovereingty does not need authorization from any arm of the government. Perharps Northerners are not well versed and educated in the order of civic contracts to know that the National Assembly is an arm of government and the people's choice for a new government surpasses requirements of a constitution.

When people demand to have a new government or society, whatever constitution is in vogue becomes obsolete. A new constitution must be drafted and new powers granted to consumate the demands of the people. Northerners should update their knowledge on social order and civil contracts.

We are not shaking down here in South.

Who are the people making the demand? Is Southerners only the people in Nigeria? Are the northerners not also part of the people? There is a difference between what majority of Southerners want and what majority of Nigerians want!

We southerners sometimes speak as if only us define majority of Nigerian.

We must learn how to negotiate in a democracy.
In a democracy which is a game of Number, he who has the number has the upper hand.

We don't have the number in populations. Northerners are more in a number. And they will continue to be more in numbers in next 50 years because they give birth far more than us in the south. They marry early. And they are more polygamous. And they value many children why we in the south value few children. North is for quantity of children why we in the south is for quality of Children. But democracy rely on quantity of humans not quality.

1 Like

Re: Why Southern Nigeria Must Forget Restructure by BabaRamota1980: 9:50pm On Sep 26, 2017
This post is a thoughts gathering initiative to feel into the minds and emotions of Southerners on restructuring.

Yoruba reference point is Ibadan Declaration. It says it all. Who am I to say anything contrary to a document endorsed by Ooni, Alaafin, State Governors, State Assemblies and legal luminaries, many of them SANs?

Anyone desiring to know Yoruba position should consult Ibadan Declaration

1 Like

Re: Why Southern Nigeria Must Forget Restructure by Robbin7(m): 10:12pm On Sep 26, 2017
Educative!
Re: Why Southern Nigeria Must Forget Restructure by limeta(f): 10:16pm On Sep 26, 2017
We go tear the paper burn am send the ash to you lot in the north
That's how we will do it
Re: Why Southern Nigeria Must Forget Restructure by leofab(f): 10:28pm On Sep 26, 2017
Let wait and see
Re: Why Southern Nigeria Must Forget Restructure by Nobody: 10:44pm On Sep 26, 2017
MetaPhysical:

""We demand"". - U don't know what 'demand is'

""or we will ruin it for everybody"" - the igbos don't care.
Re: Why Southern Nigeria Must Forget Restructure by moninuola65: 10:45pm On Sep 26, 2017
IkpuMmadu:

@op
why is it necessary to restructure at first? although that's not the question you ask but if you ask me I'll tell you!
Democracy is simple if it's understand, it's not by force, it's by bidding, bargaining and learn to earn the trust of others' that is, the people that not only yours but those of the other view of yours!
it's just as simple as that.
but the fast and surest way is through mandate
because mandate change constitution.
but Nigerian still in confusion why they should accept the mandate of their opponent.
Re: Why Southern Nigeria Must Forget Restructure by lastmessenger: 10:56pm On Sep 26, 2017
You guys are just deceiving yourself. Let the oil stop flowing and see if the country won't break up or restructure.
Re: Why Southern Nigeria Must Forget Restructure by moninuola65: 11:00pm On Sep 26, 2017
BabaRamota1980:
This post is a thoughts gathering initiative to feel into the minds and emotions of Southerners on restructuring.

Yoruba reference point is Ibadan Declaration. It says it all. Who am I to say anything contrary to a document endorsed by Ooni, Alaafin, State Governors, State Assemblies and legal luminaries, many of them SANs?

Anyone desiring to know Yoruba position should consult Ibadan Declaration
Baba ramo, Democracy beyond any declaration, you may or not have contrary view to Ibadan summit, that summit is not the people democracy is talking about, and it had happen several time even in Yoruba land, 2015 is one of the contrary view of Yoruba people to their leaders.

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Ready To Act On SGF, NIA Report, Says Osinbajo / Politics Maina Attacks Presidency, Says Bigger Thieves Working With Buhari / Gtbank Systematically Begs The Igbo As Popularity Wanes In South East And South

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.