Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,163 members, 7,811,366 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:20 AM

Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway (13817 Views)

Presidential Probe Into ONSA Indicts More Than 300 Companies And Individuals / House Of Reps Ad-hoc Committee Probe Into Fuel Subsidy Removal - Live / Presidency Orders Probe Into Alison-madueke Mansion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by cold(m): 4:36pm On Mar 05, 2010
The police is a complete failure,you're on your own.

The Federal Government on Thursday described the Nigeria Police Force as a failure.

The government said despite the huge resources it had spent on the Force, its members were yet to reciprocate this gesture with their commitment to the job.

The Minister of Police Affairs, Dr. Ibrahim Lame, who conveyed government’s displeasure to the Inspector-General of Police, Mr. Ogbonna Onovo, at a meeting in his office, called on the police top hierarchy to wake up from its slumber or government would have no option that to wield the big stick.

He listed areas in which the government had been good to the police to include increment in salary and increase in the capital budget of the Force.

Before now, a constable in the police was being paid N7, 000, which has now been increased to N21, 000 while in 2009, the Police had about N21bn as its capital budget. The budget was increased to about N30bn in 2010.

He said the crime rate and extra-judicial killings were too much and that government could no longer fold its arms while its citizens were dying as if there was no police in the country.

Lame said, “Regrettably, the Nigeria Police Force has not reciprocated the gesture of the government by way of commitment to duty and responsibility to this calling.

“The current rate of crime across the nation, rising cases of extra-judicial killings, human rights violation, robberies, high profile assassinations and deliberate failure to comply with government directives are testimonies to the sheer incapacity or wilful defiance of the police high command to these recommendations and assignments at hand.

“The current security situation in the country, to say the leasts is condemnable and unacceptable to the government and good citizens of our great nation.

“I therefore believe that the time has come for the Nigeria Police High Command to review its strategies in order to perform its duty.

“No responsible government would fold its arm and watch helplessly as its citizens are being maimed or cut down in their prime when there is a police force in place.”

He therefore charged the police to improve on their investigative skills, adding that government expected results on the several high profile crimes committed in the country as a demonstration of a functional police force.

“The police high command should therefore rise up to the challenge, failing which government would be left with no option than to find an appropriate solution it deems fit,” the minister added.

Lame also expressed government’s displeasure at the police leadership’s inability to implement directives on the withdrawal of police orderlies from prominent Nigerians, whom he said were not entitled to them.

He indicted the police high command of complicity in this regard, and therefore gave Onovo and members of its police management two weeks ultimatum within which to carry out the assignment.

He said, “Failure from any quarter would be met with appropriate disciplinary action.”

Lame lamented that the action of the police hierarchy in handling government reform programmes showed that they were either not properly informed or deliberately ignored them.

He called on Onovo and members of his management team to develop a work plan, which must include capacity building and training, logistics and equipment and welfare matters.

Responding, Onovo, who came to the meeting with three deputy inspectors general, two AIGs and some CPs, said that his administration was just seven months in office and therefore needed time to carry out the reforms.

He said several committees had been set up to handle most of the issues raised by the minister, but said that since crime was always committed by youths, it would be better if jobs could be provided for them.

He said the task ahead was not to apportion blame but to think on how to collectively move the Force forward.

Onovo said, “The youths between the ages of 18-25 are the ones that cause crime, and many of them are unemployed.

“Also, policemen are not the one manning our borders through which different sophisticated weapons are being brought into the country. They come in with rockets, machine guns and so on.”

He appealed to Nigerians to be patient with the police, saying that they would do their best to make sure that the citizens were protected.
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by Nobody: 4:39pm On Mar 05, 2010
Country of vampire's, Horrible Nigeria,
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by princekevo(m): 4:46pm On Mar 05, 2010
We all know nothing is gonna come of this probe. They should have talk of how to improve Nigerian security as to prevent more of such brutalities, not wasting time and resource on a probe we all know would yield no result.
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by ud4u: 4:52pm On Mar 05, 2010
It is a pity,lawless country
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by Tuyis: 5:28pm On Mar 05, 2010
Any more proof that the senators are a bunch of self serving morons. this story broke last year and they never heard of it until now? Do they read newspapers at all?
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by ogb5(m): 5:46pm On Mar 05, 2010
Tuyis:

Any more proof that the senators are a bunch of self serving morons. this story broke last year and they never heard of it until now? Do they read newspapers at all?

These incidence happen all the time. In some cases other vehicles run over the victims accidentally. In this case the driver was instructed at gun point to run over the victims.

Do not confuse this new incident with another one that has happened previously.

My friend lost his mother in a similar robbery incident in 1995.

Its an old tactics, telling robbery victims to lie on the road for them to be killed by oncoming vehicles. Its just disgusting how low people can go to steal from others
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by Nescoemmy(m): 5:49pm On Mar 05, 2010
this is realy an eye sore i pray that god never forgives those behind this attrocity i also heard its not the driver that is responsible, that it was an on-coming vehicle which ever way its happened already and there's nothing we can do about it than pray God accepts the dead. MAN IS NOTHING NO ONE KNOWS TOMORROW.
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by RichyBlacK(m): 5:52pm On Mar 05, 2010
naijacutee:

Ahh, so the fastest way to gain the attention f the government is through the media + Internet? Hmmm ,  As demonstrated in the Uzoma vs Army officer case? Hmmm, good to know that!

Accurate!

The real instrument is shame!

When you have evidence in pictures (or clips) of anything from police brutality, obscene crime, cold-blooded mass murder, etc. and make it public, the authorities, in this case the useless Nigerian government or the more useless Nigerian Police Force, react to the story purely out of shame!

Shame that their counterparts in saner societies are viewing the pictures and watching the clips and wondering "So this is how Chief XYZ's country is run?"

The shame of doing nothing to protect your citizens and coming out to brag that "We are the giant of Africa" is so powerful that even the animals in human skin running the show in Abuja are forced to take some action, even if a stu.pid facade!
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by Rastamann: 5:53pm On Mar 05, 2010
Na today? dem no problem all the embezzlements, and all the kidnappings, na armed robbery dem won probe. These assembly are suffering from joblessness.
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by Str8talk: 6:01pm On Mar 05, 2010
Onovo says it happened in July last year

Another vehicle ran over the people (20 killed) while they were sittting on the road as ordered by armed robbers; armed robbers did not force them to lie down with their drivers running over them
The drivers of the 2 vehicles (not the armed robbers) were arrested
Police face difficulties - low unemployment, low pay, equipment, the rich people flauting their wealth etc

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=167866
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by babaowo: 6:30pm On Mar 05, 2010
nah wha oooooooo,
Why this tragedy dont happen to people likes,F E C,
N A S S,our ministers families, state government them,
why
because we will never see the outcome of the probe,
am sorry if am too harsh, its because the country is
more than hell fire.
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by Obinoscopy(m): 6:35pm On Mar 05, 2010
Why don't we make inquires into what really happened. Thank God the name of the Luxury bus was in the picture (The Young). We can ask the management of The Young Motors to tell us the true story
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by hackney(m): 6:57pm On Mar 05, 2010
How come people on this thread expect the naija police to be of any use? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Na wa.
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by Fhemmmy: 6:59pm On Mar 05, 2010
hackney:

How come people on this thread expect the naija police to be of any use? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Na wa.

Kai . . .u don right off our cops finally . . .
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by hackney(m): 7:01pm On Mar 05, 2010
^^^^^^ That one na police? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Abeg we need to call them another thing o!!

The reality is that in naija, every single thing is "every man to his own"

Infact safety is the biggest reason why i dusted by expired kpale , renewed it and came back here.

Amidst people saying: oh' what about the oil company contacts? Zap. that! !
Thieves went to my uncle's house and were there for hours; they even ate there and drove away
in his cars.
My auntie still has nightmares like she's going mad.
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by emmydee(m): 7:06pm On Mar 05, 2010
I tot people take to robbery cos of hunger and poverty. So why rape & kill?

I cant believe Nigeria has gone so bad. My God, whats happening to this nation?
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by Fhemmmy: 7:12pm On Mar 05, 2010
hackney:

^^^^^^ That one na police? ? ? ? ? ? ?
Abeg we need to call them another thing o!!

The reality is that in naija, every single thing is "every man to his own"

Infact safety is the biggest reason why i dusted by expired kpale , renewed it and came back here.

Amidst people saying: oh' what about the oil company contacts? Zap. that! !
Thieves went to my uncle's house and were there for hours; they even ate there and drove away
in his cars.
My auntie still has nightmares like she's going mad.

I feel u my guy
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by RichyBlacK(m): 7:13pm On Mar 05, 2010
Str8talk:

Onovo says it happened in July last year

Another vehicle ran over the people (20 killed) while they were sittting on the road as ordered by armed robbers; armed robbers did not force them to lie down with their drivers running over them
The drivers of the 2 vehicles (not the armed robbers) were arrested
Police face difficulties - low unemployment, low pay, equipment, the rich people flauting their wealth etc

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=167866

Thank God this story has been clarified. Nigerians sef, una too like rumors.
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by Fhemmmy: 7:13pm On Mar 05, 2010
emmydee:

I tot people take to robbery cos of hunger and poverty. So why despoil & kill?

I cant believe Nigeria has gone so bad. My God, whats happening to this nation?

I guess now we know some are into it for fun and wickedness
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by RichyBlacK(m): 7:15pm On Mar 05, 2010
[size=18pt]22 crushed to death on Sagamu-Benin Road[/size]

* By Ernest Nwokolo
    * Published 2/08/2009

It was a horrifying sight at the scene where scores of Igbo traders who were going back to the South-East zone in a night Luxury bus met their gruesome death.

No fewer than of the traders were killed near Odogbolu, in Ogun State, along the Sagamu - Ore stretch of the Lagos Benin Expressway.

The traders including 13 men and seven women were crushed to death while held captive by armed robbers who had waylaid them.

The Nation gathered from an eyewitness who introduced himself as an Ijebu - Ode based photographer that a gang of armed robbers had fanned down the luxury bus down, ordered the passengers to disembark when it stopped and compelled them to lie face down by roadside.

The captives were in that state-still lying down, when a trailer in top speed and in desperate effort to avoid obstacles mounted on the road by the armed robbers ran over the passengers and mauled them instantly, spattering human flesh on the road.

The incident which happened in the early hours of yesterday, the eyewitness recounted, involved a luxury bus with registration number XF 285 AKD and a truck with number plate XN 808 BEN.

When similar incident happened late last year at Itori between Ogun and Lagos, 15 of the Igbo traders going back to the East by night after conducting their respective businesses in Lagos were killed inside two Luxury buses when they were gun-robbed at night while escaping into Ijebu - Ode.

It was gathered that another accident that claimed two lives also occurred on Friday night around 10.45 pm, along Ijebu- Ode- Ore end of the expressway and involved a white Toyota Hiace, marked XQ 201 EKY and a blue Bedford lorry marked XA 565 WER. The fatal accident was said to have happened near Backcok University, Ilisan junction and Odogbolu areas of the highway.

The Sector Commander, Federal Road Safety Commission, (FRSC), Ogun State Command, Mr. Olu-Mike Olagunju, who confirmed the yesterday tragedy, said that he could not ascertain the cause of the accident but noted that 13 men and seven women lost their lives immediately while two men were reported to have been seriously injured.

His words: "This incident is unfortunate. What we observed that there was no dent on the luxurious bus, which indicated that the vehicles did not run to each other. The most likely cause of the accident could be because of the activities of armed robbers.

"We have said it over and over again that people should avoid night journeys. If people do not travel at nights, there is hardly a way that kind of accident would not be avoided. At least the truck would have seen people lying on the road while the motorists would have even known that robbers are operating on the road", he mourned.

Meanwhile, the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has expressed concern over the growing insecurity of lives and property across the country, and called on President Umaru Musa Yar' Ardua to tackle it frontally.

ASUU said nothing exemplified these fears and insecurity in the land better than the rising wave of armed robbery, organized murder, including the assassination of a labour leader in Benue State, recent attacks by MEND and the resurgence of the Islamic

fundamentalists - Boko Haram sect, in parts of Northern Nigeria and the attendant loss of lives.

In a communique issued by the Olabisi Onabanjo University Chapter, Ogun State, and signed by the Chairman, Dr Adesola Nassir and the Secretary, Comrade Tayo Omoniyi, ASUU charged President Yar' Ardua to adopt concrete and holistic approach in addressing them.

According to ASUU, their occurrences resulted from real and perceived injustices in the country which could only be tackled if the government demonstrates commitment and sensitivity to the groaning of the people, adding that the payment of stipends to militants in Niger Delta is not solution to militancy in the area.

The teachers also accused the federal and state governments of insincerity in the manner both are handling workers rights to collective bargaining and negotiations and urged the governments to take the path of honour, sign and implement the agreement reached with ASUU.

Source: http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/12546/1/22-crushed-to-death-on-Sagamu-Benin-Road/Page1.html
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by nich(m): 7:17pm On Mar 05, 2010
shocked shocked shocked shocked cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by Fhemmmy: 7:19pm On Mar 05, 2010
nich:

shocked shocked shocked shocked cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

Whose report is this one?
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by Eaglebabe: 8:02pm On Mar 05, 2010
Pepitraitors of this act will not have rememberance.
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by tpiah: 8:07pm On Mar 05, 2010
there's absolutely nothing about this picture that shows this incident (assuming there was one) happened in Nigeria.

And why is it only this one picture that's being circulated? After all there are other people on the scene taking photos with their cell phones.

and why is the license plate number of the yellow bus being blocked? No single photographer snapped a photo that showed more information about that bus?

too many loose ends here.

The injuries also dont look consistent with what one would expect from the hype.

someone correct me with hard evidence if I'm wrong?
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by hilli666(m): 9:42pm On Mar 05, 2010
tpiah:

there's absolutely nothing about this picture that shows this incident (assuming there was one) happened in Nigeria.

And why is it only this one picture that's being circulated? After all there are other people on the scene taking photos with their cell phones.

and why is the license plate number of the yellow bus being blocked? No single photographer snapped a photo that showed more information about that bus?

too many loose ends here.

The injuries also dont look consistent with what one would expect from the hype.

someone correct me with hard evidence if I'm wrong?
Sometimes in our quest for logic and comprehension, we display a certain apathy for human suffering and tragedy that is inhumane in itself. Does it really matter where this tragic incident occured? Or why a license plate number is obscured? Before you lays the mangled and dismembered remains of 13men and 7 women, whose demise came violently and unexpectedly. Now imagine you brother, or sister, your daughter or father laying there in a pool of blood and tell me if the bleeping car registration or geographic location of this sad incident has a dam thing to do with anything?
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by hilli666(m): 9:52pm On Mar 05, 2010
You know how I know that violence in this world can and will never end? Because immediately after I saw this picture I was thrown into an untameable rage. Swearing that the perpetrators of such and act should be killed instantaneously. I would even do the deed myself had I the opportunity. Then it dawned on me, it is that same thought process that has propagated hate and violence globally. "Violence begets Violence!" I guess I'm a hypocrite.
The sad part is that those people are not related to me, now imagine if one of them was, what will I have done then?
May the Lord help us all. AMEN!!
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by tpiah: 10:24pm On Mar 05, 2010
hilli666:

Sometimes in our quest for logic and comprehension, we display a certain apathy for human suffering and tragedy that is inhumane in itself. Does it really matter where this tragic incident occured? Or why a license plate number is obscured? Before you lays the mangled and dismembered remains of 13men and 7 women, whose demise came violently and unexpectedly. Now imagine you brother, or sister, your daughter or father laying there in a pool of blood and tell me if the bleeping car registration or geographic location of this sad incident has a dam thing to do with anything?

I said someone should correct me with hard evidence.

is this your idea of hard evidence?

Have you presented any evidence this photo is from Nigeria, or if someone locks you up on the basis of hearsay, how happy would you be?
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by Seun(m): 10:26pm On Mar 05, 2010
It's still a hoax.
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by Nobody: 11:09pm On Mar 05, 2010
had to remove the youtube video - too gruesome
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by Nobody: 11:10pm On Mar 05, 2010
youtube video removed, if you want to watch it, go to youtube and type Nigeria search for todays posts.

Too gruesome.

The youtube video confirms the Nigeria Thisday report that it happened at night and therefore it was not the robbers who ordered any driver to kill but rather a lorry mauled the unfortunate people.
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by hbrednic: 11:13pm On Mar 05, 2010
Seun:

It's still a hoax.
what do you mean? they picture is not doctored in anyway.

@tpiah
why not get a lupa to dip up the hard evidence you looking for,nobody here is at your service.
Re: Nigeria Orders Probe Into 'brutal Bus Robbery' On The Lagos-benin Highway by babonboard(f): 11:30pm On Mar 05, 2010
Seun, could you please explain the 'hoax' factor to me cos i dont get it

(1) (2) (3)

Let's See How Many Northerners Are Active On Nairaland / Has Anyone Seen Luanda Skyline Lately- Cranes All Over D Place / See The Imo State Chief Who Have Ladies Exposing Their Breast Around Him (photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.