Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,546 members, 7,827,042 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:34 AM

Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo (7825 Views)

The Lords Prayer??? / How Often Do You Recite The Lords Prayer, And Why / The Lords Chosen Charismatic Revival Movement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by whiteroses(f): 12:48pm On Mar 05, 2010
i wanted a tattoo and decides i'll get it when im 21. now i'm 21 but then i became more deep in christianity last month and now i feel like getting the lords prayer in accient italics design on my upper back, on the left side. is tattoo a sin cos i feel as tho im mocking God, should i as well be bad and get a random design tattoo then. do you know what i mean? like if lord doesn't like tattoo i'm getting it anyway cos even my mum has it, but should i live the bible out of this or it doesnt matter? i feel like those illuminati rapper always shoutting jesus in their rap lines therefore mocking him in vain.
tanks
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:09pm On Mar 05, 2010
whiteroses:

i wanted a tattoo and decides i'll get it when im 21. but then i became more deep in christianity last month and now i feel like getting the lords prayer in accient italics design on my upper back, on the left side. is tattoo a sin cos i feel as tho im mocking God, should i as well be bad and get a random design tattoo then. do you know what i mean? like if lord doesn't like tattoo i'm getting it anyway cos even my mum has it, but should i live the bible out of this or it doesnt matter? i feel like those illuminati rapper always shoutting jesus in their rap lines therefore mocking him in vain.
tanks

It looks as if you have already made up your mind to get a tattoo done but you are just looking for confirmation. If getting the tattoo is stronger than your love for God then you will probably do it but if you are willing to listen and obey God because of your love for Him then you will steer clear of any form of tattoo because it is making blood covenant with the enemy of God.
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by e36991: 1:31pm On Mar 05, 2010
Whiteroses:

I wanted a tattoo and decides I'll get it when am 21.

but then I became more deep in Christianity last month

and now I feel like getting the Lord's prayer in ancient italics design on my upper back, on the left side.

Is tattoo a sin cos I feel as though am mocking God, should I as well be bad and get a random design tattoo then.

Do you know what I mean? Like if the Lord doesn't like tattoo i'm getting it anyway cos even my mum has it,

but should I leave the Bible out of this or it doesnt matter?

I feel like those illuminati rapper always shouting Jesus in their rap lines therefore mocking him in vain.

Thanks

@Whiteroses

For starters didnt realise you are yet 21

Anyway "Am I a hypocrite? . . ."  you asked

Well if inwardly you're evil but outwardly you profess to be virtuous, then you could be a hypocrite.

The question to ask should be "Is it necessary to have a tattoo in order to identify with God?"

The tattoo issue is a personal one; one betwen you and your Maker,

- it is a choice of which you'll have to live with the consequence,(s) if any, surely there are/will be

The Mum excuse is a lame one;

- would you jump off a skycraper just because your mum without any logical reason earlier jumped off

Work on your relationship with the Father,

continue walking with Him to know His will (i.e. the answer to your query(ies))

The revelation will surely come . . .

By the way concerning "Is tattoo a sin . . . " note that any unrighteousness is sin
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by karo93: 2:09pm On Mar 05, 2010
leviticus.19.28
you shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead nor TATTOO any marks on you:i am the lord
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by whiteroses(f): 2:38pm On Mar 05, 2010
eh chineke what am i seeing shocked [NEW UPDATE]: Only reply if you are a neutral easy going christian. no hardcore opinion
Thank you cool
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by e36991: 2:55pm On Mar 05, 2010
Whiteroses:

Eh Chineke what am I seeing  shocked

[NEW UPDATE]: Only reply if you are a neutral easy going christian. No hardcore opinion

Thank you cool

@Whiteroses

grin grin I kinda figured you're a neutral easy going christian  grin grin

which is why I didnt fan scripture(s) in your face

but rather advised that you personally work out the answer yourself

At the end of the day, at the appointed time, we'll all explain all our actions and/or make account of all our deeds
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by debosky(m): 2:56pm On Mar 05, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

It looks as if you have already made up your mind to get a tattoo done but you are just looking for confirmation. If getting the tattoo is stronger than your love for God then you will probably do it but if you are willing to listen and obey God because of your love for Him then you will steer clear of any form of tattoo[b] because it is making blood covenant with the enemy of God. [/b]

Can you explain how you came about this claim?
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by e36991: 3:25pm On Mar 05, 2010
OLAADEGBU:

It looks as if you have already made up your mind to get a tattoo done but you are just looking for confirmation. 

If getting the tattoo is stronger than your love for God then you will probably do it

but if you are willing to listen and obey God because of your love for Him then you will steer clear of any form of tattoo

because it is making blood covenant with the enemy of God.

Debosky at OLAADEGBU:

@Debosky

I think OLAADEGBU is drawing a parallel with the ancient practice of tattoing for the dead's sake

but then I'll let him have the honours of responding back himself

PS: Whiteroses was clever in parading that the tattoo is going to be a tattoo of the Lord's Prayer

(i.e. the model prayer Yeshua used to teach the disciples how to pray)
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:52pm On Mar 05, 2010
debosky:

There is a reason why the laws in Lev.19:28; Deut.14:1 and so on are there.  Tatooing was practiced in various pagan nations from ancient times.  It is said that any disfigurations of the body is an outrage to God and an insult to the Creator who designed the body originally.  Any cuttings or markings on the body is connected with idolatory and a contact point or doorway for demons with the person.  I wonder how the OP intends to read the Lord's Prayer tattooed on her back. undecided 

A scheduled battle does not claim the life of a (wise) cripple, if you know what I mean.  wink
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by karo93: 4:02pm On Mar 05, 2010
for what reason is this arg. still going on?? i just showed that God spoke against it. i repeat
leviticus.19.28
you shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead nor TATTOO any marks on you:i am the lord
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:03pm On Mar 05, 2010
whiteroses:

eh chineke what am i seeing shocked [NEW UPDATE]: Only reply if you are a neutral easy going christian. no hardcore opinion
Thank you cool

Heed the Master's whistle.
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by JeSoul(f): 4:13pm On Mar 05, 2010
whiteroses:

i wanted a tattoo and decides i'll get it when im 21. now i'm 21 but then i became more deep in christianity last month and now i feel like getting the lords prayer in accient italics design on my upper back, on the left side. is tattoo a sin cos i feel as tho im mocking God, should i as well be bad and get a random design tattoo then. do you know what i mean? like if lord doesn't like tattoo i'm getting it anyway cos even my mum has it, but should i live the bible out of this or it doesnt matter? i feel like those illuminati rapper always shoutting jesus in their rap lines therefore mocking him in vain.
tanks

Whiteroses dear, anyone who tells you that getting a tatoo is a sin - is either lying or simply ignorant of what the scriptures truly say. To those parading defunct OT laws as grounds for NT living . . . isn't that little trick too old to be employing on NL?

My sister, if you're interested see this thread where it was discussed extensively a while back  https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-108212.0.html

There's nothing wrong with a tatoo in and of itself - it is your motive for getting it that will determine whether it is a sin for you or not.
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by debosky(m): 4:18pm On Mar 05, 2010
JeSoul:

Whiteroses dear, anyone who tells you that getting a tatoo is a sin - is either lying or simply ignorant of what the scriptures truly say. To those parading defunct OT laws as grounds for NT living . . . isn't that little trick too old to be employing on NL?

My sister, if you're interested see this thread where it was discussed extensively a while back  https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-108212.0.html

There's nothing wrong with a tatoo in and of itself - it is your motive for getting it that will determine whether it is a sin for you or not.

Thank you for that - to simply say tattoos are wrong without understanding the basis for them is a bland generalization.

The reference to tattoos in the OT was likely related to writings done on the body in relation to other gods.
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by karo93: 4:32pm On Mar 05, 2010
First of all why would you reduce the value of your skin by writing on it?

you say God was only against that of foreign gods but first things first if the Jews were still worshiping Jehovah,why would they tattoo other god's on their body?

Jehovah told them this to make sure that they don't tattoo even HIS OWN NAME on their bodies since other people were tattooing their own gods.this means that God doesn't like it.

If Jehovah was cool with it then he would have told the isrealites to write his laws on their bodies instead of passing it on by mouth from generation to generation
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by InesQor(m): 4:46pm On Mar 05, 2010
karo93:

First of all why would you reduce the value of your skin by writing on it?

you say God was only against that of foreign gods but first things first if the Jews were still worshiping Jehovah,why would they tattoo other god's on their body?

Jehovah told them this to make sure that they don't tattoo even HIS OWN NAME on their bodies since other people were tattooing their own gods.this means that God doesn't like it.

If Jehovah was cool with it then he would have told the isrealites to write his laws on their bodies instead of passing it on by mouth from generation to generation
How does writing on your skin reduce its value? 

Where did Jehovah say this? Or say that they should not tattoo his name?

This is what I found in my Bible, by the way (Amplified Bible).

Isa 44:2  Thus says the Lord, Who made you and formed you from the womb, Who will help you: Fear not, O Jacob, My servant, and you Jeshurun [the upright one--applied to Israel as a type of the Messiah], whom I have chosen.
Isa 44:3  For I will pour water upon him who is thirsty, and floods upon the dry ground. I will pour My Spirit upon your offspring, and My blessing upon your descendants. [Isa. 32:15; 35:6, 7; Joel 2:28; John 7:37-39.]
Isa 44:4  And they shall spring up among the grass like willows or poplars by the watercourses.
Isa 44:5  One will say, I am the Lord's; and another will call himself by the name of Jacob; and another will write [even brand or tattoo] upon his hand, I am the Lord's, and surname himself by the [honorable] name of Israel.

Note that God was speaking well of the blessed descendants of Jacob who tattooed on their hands that they are the Lord's.

JeSoul:

Correct! JeSoul and debosky have said what I was going to say. Interesting points by pilgrim1 on that link you supplied. The funny thing is that some medical procedures require tattooing, so will you proceed NOT to receive the tattoo in that case?  That's really weird undecided
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by InesQor(m): 4:48pm On Mar 05, 2010
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by agathamari(f): 4:57pm On Mar 05, 2010
whiteroses:

tanks
your tattoo is your choice and noone elses. now you said only recently you became deeply christian and now want the lords prayer. before getting it i suggest you wait for a little while. tattoos are painful, expessive and time consuming to remove, make sure you are going to stick with christianity before getting a religious tattoo. the last thing you need is a tattoo you regret. if you are absolutly possitive that your intrest in christianity (or any religion or subject) is not a passing intrest, then by all means get what you wish.
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by JeSoul(f): 4:58pm On Mar 05, 2010
debosky:

Thank you for that - to simply say tattoos are wrong without understanding the basis for them is a bland generalization.

The reference to tattoos in the OT was likely related to writings done on the body in relation to other gods.

. . . and even if it wasn't. Last time I read the bible, we are not following the Law anymore. One thing that really irks me - selective usage of bits of the OT Laws that are mischievously presented as scriptural basis for a personal opinion the proponent may hold. If I don't like pork, I can provide an OT verse against that. If I don't like your long hairstlye, I can provide at OT verse against that and so on. Like you said, the basis for those Laws need to be understood in order to appreciate why God instituted them in the first place - then we can proceed to understand why, how or IF they apply to us today.

InesQor:

How does writing on your skin reduce its value?  Note that God was speaking well of the blessed descendants of Jacob who tattooed on their hands that they are the Lord's.
   I wonder. That's his personal opinion and he's trying to project onto others and make it their standard. I happen to think tattoos, small and in moderation are cool.

Correct! JeSoul and debosky have said what I was going to say. Interesting points by pilgrim1 on that link you supplied. The funny thing is that some medical procedures require tattooing, so will you proceed NOT to receive the tattoo in that case?  That's really weird undecided
Medical tattooing? never heard of it till now.
  As for Pilgrim  cry I miss that girl.
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by InesQor(m): 5:00pm On Mar 05, 2010
@JeSoul: I never met her, but a thread where KunleOshob was accusing viaro of being pilgrim1 made me look through her posts. Mehn! That girl is something else!! I wish someone had her contacts, I'd really like to communicate with her.
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by karo93: 5:03pm On Mar 05, 2010
Dont you guys understand when God is not talking literally?? i think you should show me a situation when God's people really started branding themselves then ill know that i am mistaken.
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by JeSoul(f): 5:09pm On Mar 05, 2010
karo93:

Dont you guys understand when God is not talking literally?? i think you should show me a situation when God's people really started branding themselves then ill know that i am mistaken.

Whether or not we have examples of mass engravings of tattoos by God's people in the bible is of little relevance.

The bottomline is the bible does not forbid it for NT christians. Whether or not it is a sin to them is between them and God. Finito.

InesQor:

@JeSoul: I never met her, but a thread where KunleOshob was accusing viaro of being pilgrim1 made me look through her posts. Mehn! That girl is something else!! I wish someone had her contacts, I'd really like to communicate with her.
Somethine else is an understatement. She's taken 'sabbaticals' several times and returned back to NL. I'm hoping she'll be back again.
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by yme1(f): 5:15pm On Mar 05, 2010
i don't think there is anything wrong with a christian getting a tattoo
in as much as there is no interior devilish motive behind it then its cool
i would also love to have one myself
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by Nobody: 5:25pm On Mar 05, 2010
whiteroses:

Thank you cool

i.e. you want replies from lukewarm, compromising "christians" who can help you rationalise away the bible to justify iniquity (not that i'm a saint btw). Its obvious what your motive for the tattoo is.

2 Tim 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Those times are on us.

whiteroses:

tanks

1. you've ALWAYS wanted a tattoo. It was something you decided on yrs ago . . . having a christian tattoo was never your prime intention, you saw it looked good on others and you decided to get one yourself.

2. "i became deep in christianity" is meaningless gibberish. You are either saved from sin or not . . . there is nothing like being shallow or deep in christianity. Pretentious piousness wont get you to God . . . you can be "deep" in religiosity though.

3. Getting the tattoo of the "Lord's prayer" on your back has no meaningful christian value . . .

- you got it in ancient italics . . . i.e. no one can comprehend what you wrote.
- its on your back, unless you dress half naked (how does this glorify God?) no one can see it.
- God is more interested in having His commandments printed on the table of your HEART not your back
- Of what spiritual value is your tattoo (dressed up in biblical cloak)?

JeSoul:

I have no problem with a tattoo on other folks who are unsaved . . . but when christians start saying that a tattoo is ok then there is a serious problem. the issue here is that our churches have become whitened sepulchres . . . dead to the spirit and only interested in pandering to the masses to drive the crowd into its pews.

1. What is the sole reason a christian is here on earth? To glorify God and be a living testimony of Him . . . how does getting a tattoo achieve this?

2. The bible says this . . . John 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

2 And [size=13pt]be not conformed to this world[/size]: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

It may not specifically say a tattoo is a sin . . . well neither does the bible condemn smoking, having concubines, clubbing or disobeying the police.

Madam whiteroses . . . you got a tattoo to satisfy your fleshly desires to be like your unsaved friends. You can sugar-coat it all you want, you can request for "neutral christianity" to paper over the truth for you . . .
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by e36991: 5:28pm On Mar 05, 2010
Trust Whiteroses to open up a can of worms and passing it round

Am not summing up Whiteroses by her past posts across NL but then . . .

its kinda like she's pulling wool over someone's eyes here

grin grin grin grin I laugh in &*^%$£" Ha-aaahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

and hey check out brethrens and sisters falling for it

falling all over each other trivialising tattoo

At the end of the day as I earlier mentioned, its a personal choice

(i.e. left until the meeting with the Maker to determine whether this particular tattoo was His will)

I believe all that was made was good yet gets abused (e.g. pain, death, tattoo etc)

There are righteous tattoos (i.e. cuttings); evidence of this abounds in the scriptures (i.e. ascribed by God)

and conversely there are unrighteous tattoos

Incidentally tattos nowadays often the case than not is usually a mark of rebellion and all for questionable or wrong reasons
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by JeSoul(f): 5:33pm On Mar 05, 2010
davidylan:

I have no problem with a tattoo on other folks who are unsaved . . . but when christians start saying that a tattoo is ok then there is a serious problem. the issue here is that our churches have become whitened sepulchres . . . dead to the spirit and only interested in pandering to the masses to drive the crowd into its pews.

1. What is the sole reason a christian is here on earth? To glorify God and be a living testimony of Him . . . how does getting a tattoo achieve this?

2. The bible says this . . . John 15:19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

2 And [size=13pt]be not conformed to this world[/size]: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

It may not specifically say a tattoo is a sin . . . well neither does the bible condemn smoking, having concubines, clubbing or disobeying the police.

Madam whiteroses . . . you got a tattoo to satisfy your fleshly desires to be like your unsaved friends. You can sugar-coat it all you want, you can request for "neutral christianity" to paper over the truth for you . . .

-In David's world, getting a tattoo is indicative of conforming to the world.
-In another christian's world, women wearing pants is indicative of conforming to the world.
-In yet another christian's world, listening to any style of music that aren't hymn-like, is indicative of conforming to the world.

I have no problem with christians who don't want tattoos personally and don't like them. That is your personal preference! You cannot project your own idea or conviction of "sin" onto others. Sorry, but to insinuate it is scripturally or biblically wrong is - wrong.

Like e36991 just said - it is a personal choice. And a christian's MOTIVE for getting it is what determines whether or not it is a sin.
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by Nobody: 5:39pm On Mar 05, 2010
JeSoul:

-In David's world, getting a tattoo is indicative of conforming to the world.

Its stunningly simple . . . anytime you do something . . . stop and ask yourself - how does this project Christ in me. If getting a tattoo makes you the light of the gospel shinning on a hill then by all means get your whole body tattooed.

JeSoul:

I have no problem with christians who don't want tattoos personally and don't like them. That is your personal preference! You cannot project your own idea or conviction of "sin" onto others. Sorry, but to insinuate it is scripturally or biblically wrong is - wrong.

Like e36991 just said - it is a personal choice. And a christian's MOTIVE for getting it is what determines whether or not it is a sin.

Paul wouldnt eat meat with some, not because there was a commandment not to eat meat served up to idols but so that he wouldnt project an image that doesnt glorify the gospel which he preached.

Ask yourself . . . when my friends see my tattoo, does it cause them to think about salvation and eternity? Or does it cause them to clap me on the back and admire my own stamp of identification with the world?
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by JeSoul(f): 5:48pm On Mar 05, 2010
davidylan:

Its stunningly simple . . . anytime you do something . . . stop and ask yourself - how does this project Christ in me. If getting a tattoo makes you the light of the gospel shinning on a hill then by all means get your whole body tattooed.

Paul wouldnt eat meat with some, not because there was a commandment not to eat meat served up to idols but so that he wouldnt project an image that doesnt glorify the gospel which he preached.

Ask yourself . . . when my friends see my tattoo, does it cause them to think about salvation and eternity? Or does it cause them to clap me on the back and admire my own stamp of identification with the world?
I agree 1000% with everything you've said here. The problem is you're being myopic and assuming everyone is like you, thinks like you, reacts to things in the same way you do.

Do you know the motive for every christian who's ever gotten a tattoo? how do you know they did it for flesh not spirit? Do you know what kinds of friends they have? do you know what kind of reaction they may have? No, you or I don't. So who are we to declare their actions sinful or not?

Do you know there are christian tattoo organizations that specifically infiltrate tattoos shows and conferences with the sole aim of preaching christ to a section of people avoided and frowned upon by "society" people just like you? They have taken a generally accepted as bad thing, redeemed it and are using it as a tool to reach the lost that you and I cannot.
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by e36991: 5:53pm On Mar 05, 2010
Davidylan:

@Davidylan

Haba!! Whole body ke?

What about the notion, moderation?

If your life depends on having a tattoo to cure a medical impasse

wouldnt you oblige a tattoo glorifying God or His Kingdom  to preserve or save your life, huh?

PS Whiteroses is still on "spiritual milk" so go easy with the chastenings
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by Nobody: 6:02pm On Mar 05, 2010
JeSoul:

I agree 1000% with everything you've said here. The problem is you're being myopic and assuming everyone is like you, thinks like you, reacts to things in the same way you do.

lol you know we're in the endtime when choosing to err on the side of the scriptures is now considered "myopic" . . . its really no different from the "open-mindedness" atheists and modern day apostate "christians" now advocate. You dare not read a bible in some churches . . . you'd be accused of being "narrow minded".

JeSoul:

Do you know the motive for every christian who's ever gotten a tattoo? how do you know they did it for flesh not spirit? Do you know what kinds of friends they have? do you know what kind of reaction they may have? No, you or I don't. So who are we to declare their actions sinful or not?

whiteroses "motive" was clear from the very first few words she stated.

Besides this foreign idea that "motive" is all there is is totally incredulous. David had a pure "motive" for numbering the Israelites . . . i remember God smiting them in His wrath. Judas had a good "motive" too . . . save the dough rather than waste it on pointless anointing oils . . .

A tattoo has no spiritual value . . . if you know it kindly tell us.

JeSoul:

Do you know there are christian tattoo organizations that specifically infiltrate tattoos shows and conferences with the sole aim of preaching christ to a section of people avoided and frowned upon by "society" people just like you? They have taken a generally accepted as bad thing, redeemed it and are using it as a tool to reach the lost that you and I cannot.

lol soon there will be "christian" organizations infiltrating brothels, strip clubs, corrupt political set-ups, gay bars all in the name of "preaching Christ" to a section of people "avoided" and "frowned upon by society people just like me".

Christ didnt need ear rings, tattoos e.t.c to "preach the gospel". If there is a reason the gospel isnt reaching those "avoided" (who are not avoided by the way), it is because the message we preach today as the gospel NO LONGER HAS THE POWER TO CONVICT. It has been diluted so much to avoid "offending" that lovely portion of society the likes of you would so love to reach. i.e in the bid to try not to be too "myopic".

when Christ preached . . . men were convicted and came from the uttermost parts of the earth to listen to Him. Today we preach and they laugh us in the face and even offer to buy us a drink and brand us with their "Jesus" tattoos.
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by Nobody: 6:07pm On Mar 05, 2010
e36991:

@Davidylan

Haba!! Whole body ke?

What about the notion, moderation?

If your life depends on having a tattoo to cure a medical impasse

wouldnt you oblige a tattoo glorifying God or His Kingdom  to preserve or save your life, huh?

PS Whiteroses is still on "spiritual milk" so go easy with the chastenings

To start with, tattoos have no known medical value . . . infact many permanent tattoos do extensive damage to the dermis (second layer of the skin) leaving many (especially whites) prone to melanomas. God does know what He was doing when He frowned on tattooing . . .

lol your mention of the word moderation set me chuckling to myself. Would you advocate smoking in "moderation" too? I'd love to get me some concubines . . . in moderation of course. who knows . . . i just might be using this to "infiltrate" those chics "avoided" by society. I cant afford to appear "myopic" no?
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by JeSoul(f): 6:20pm On Mar 05, 2010
davidylan:

lol you know we're in the endtime when choosing to err on the side of the scriptures is now considered "myopic" . . . its really no different from the "open-mindedness" atheists and modern day apostate "christians" now advocate. You dare not read a bible in some churches . . . you'd be accused of being "narrow minded".
  Err on the side of scriptures - I will forever say amen to that.

Are those who believe women shouldn't wear pants also erring on the side of scriptures? those who say all genres of music other than "traditional gospel" are evil - they also erring on the side of scriptures?

The problem is you're projecting your personal conviction on the issue of tattoos and calling it "erring on the side of scriptures".

whiteroses "motive" was clear from the very first few words she stated.
 And it is clear as e36991 just stated that she is still maturing, she needs instruction borne from love. And that does not mean we should declare ALL tattoos wrong.

Besides this foreign idea that "motive" is all there is is totally incredulous. David had a pure "motive" for numbering the Israelites . . . i remember God smiting them in His wrath. Judas had a good "motive" too . . . save the dough rather than waste it on pointless anointing oils . . .
Lol, a foreign idea? Hindsight is 20/20. We can read now that God did not approve of some of David's doings, I repeat again do you know the motives of every christian getting a tattoo and whether or not God has approved/disproved of it? Do you?

A tattoo has no spiritual value . . . if you know it kindly tell us.
Your blue jeans have no spiritual value, neither does your choice of shirt color or tie, neither does your haircut, your choice of car, your choice of lunch etc.
Do these things not also matter when presenting a godly image to the world? asking for the "spiritual value" of a thing? please, David you can come up with something better than that  cheesy

lol soon there will be "christian" organizations infiltrating brothels, strip clubs, corrupt political set-ups, gay bars all in the name of "preaching Christ" to a section of people "avoided" and "frowned upon by society people just like me".
   Of course there are glaring limitations to the freedoms afforded to us in Christ. Involvement in the immoral and sexual/sensual is clearly forbidden in the scriptures -  getting tattoos is not.

Christ didnt need ear rings, tattoos e.t.c to "preach the gospel". If there is a reason the gospel isnt reaching those "avoided" (who are not avoided by the way), it is because the message we preach today as the gospel NO LONGER HAS THE POWER TO CONVICT. It has been diluted so much to avoid "offending" that lovely portion of society the likes of you would so love to reach. i.e in the bid to try not to be too "myopic".

when Christ preached . . . men were convicted and came from the uttermost parts of the earth to listen to Him. Today we preach and they laugh us in the face and even offer to buy us a drink and brand us with their "Jesus" tattoos.

You're saying a lot that no christian will disagree with. David, no one is saying we need any props or costumes in order to effectively preach the gospel, no.

The simple question is "is getting a tattoo a sin"? a tattoo is NOT a sin. It's why you get it and what you get it for and whether or not God approved it - to that christian. What may be a sin for me, may not be for you.
Re: Am I A Hypocrite For Getting The Lords Prayer Tattoo by InesQor(m): 6:22pm On Mar 05, 2010
This debate na wa cheesy grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why We Should Tarry In God's Presence / Is It Possible To Commit Sodomy In Marriage? / Pastor Making Love To 2 Church Members As Choir Sings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.