Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,915 members, 7,824,842 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 06:52 PM

let's discuss Tank Ventilation System - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / let's discuss Tank Ventilation System (2293 Views)

Crankcase Ventilation System And How It Works / Let's Discuss Catalyst Or Car Catalytic Converters! / Russians Turned ₦81m Bentley Continental GT Into The World's Most Luxurious Tank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

let's discuss Tank Ventilation System by mayor2013: 1:30pm On Sep 28, 2017
The prevailing pressure in the tank forces hydrocarbon gases into the activated charcoal canister. The molecules of fuel are trapped in the canister material. The tank ventilation valve is activated by the engine control unit when vacuum is present in the intake manifold. The vacuum and regenerated air work together in order to force the canister of fuel molecules and reintroduce them to the combustion process.

Have you ever had the. Following fault errors when you run a scan on your car.

P0441 - evaporative emission control system incorrect purge flow

P0442- evaporative emission control system leak detected (small leak)

P0446- evaporative emission control system vent control malfunction.

The above fault error also contributes to high fuel consumption. Car owners have always wanted to know why their cars consume so much fuel. Here is just a tip. Gas accumulated from fuel stored in tank can be lost through a leak from the canister box or its vacuum lines. I would be uploading a life pix of some of these items that comprises the tank ventilation system.

From my experience on the field most car owners over fill their fuel tank to the point where fuel Starts to gush out of the fuel tank despite the check valves actually playing its function stating when to stop adding more fuel when refilling the tank. The adverse effect of this results to a "bad charcoal canister"

1 Like

Re: let's discuss Tank Ventilation System by mayor2013: 2:17pm On Sep 28, 2017
A bad charcoal canister box taken out of a Lexus Rx330 2005

Re: let's discuss Tank Ventilation System by mayor2013: 2:46pm On Sep 28, 2017
Another praticising culture is running your engine and at the same time refueling your cars. That's not a good practice for a modern day vehicle. This can also damage the canister box
Re: let's discuss Tank Ventilation System by DaimlerBen(m): 10:44pm On Sep 28, 2017
Please tell them.
I'm tired of seeing people rocking their cars sideways so that more petrol can enter the tank. Na groundnut bottle? angry

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: let's discuss Tank Ventilation System by mayor2013: 11:05pm On Sep 28, 2017
DaimlerBen:
Please tell them.
I'm tired of seeing people rocking their cars so that more petrol can enter the tank. Na groundnut bottle? angry

Have seen to an extent where car owner insists he needs more and more fuel in. Groundnut bottle grin

1 Like

Re: let's discuss Tank Ventilation System by timifakay(m): 6:36am On Sep 29, 2017
DaimlerBen:
Please tell them.
I'm tired of seeing people rocking their cars so that more petrol can enter the tank. Na groundnut bottle? angry
Hahaha... That one sef dey.
Re: let's discuss Tank Ventilation System by DreCharles(m): 1:50pm On Sep 29, 2017
I have this error code P0441.

I don't fill up to the brim tho. Half tank is what I do. I've changed fuel pump though I got to know its not probably the culprit since its still pulling same code

Its a 2003 Toyota Avalon.

What else can be the culprit, pls?
Re: let's discuss Tank Ventilation System by mayor2013: 2:14pm On Sep 29, 2017
DreCharles:
I have this error code P0441.

I don't fill up to the brim tho. Half tank is what I do. I've changed fuel pump though I got to know its not probably the culprit since its still pulling same code

Its a 2003 Toyota Avalon.

What else can be the culprit, pls?

A simple start from your fuel tank cover could just be a culprit. Pull out your tank cover inspect the rubber seal for breakage. If all is fine you need to check for leaks around vacuum line. If no leak test your purge control valve solenoid (vsv- vacuum switching valve) and make sure it works fine.

Other trouble areas could be

1) charcoal canister

2) cracked fuel tank

3) vapour pressure sensor which is situated right on top of the fuel tank used to measure vapour pressure from fuel. If you cannot access right from underneath your sit then your tank needs to come down. Who never can tell rodents might just have fisted on its wiring

In a case where you do not see a visible leak,.a.smoke detector machine can be used to trace leak.

I hope this helps. A pix of a.charcoal canister has been earlier uploaded. Yours should be situated close to underneath your fuel tank

2 Likes

Re: let's discuss Tank Ventilation System by mayor2013: 2:21pm On Sep 29, 2017
Pix of a vacuum switching valve (purge control valve solenoid). As shown on a Toyota Highlander 2001 (1mz-FE). We have the VSV1 and VSV2

1 Like

Re: let's discuss Tank Ventilation System by mayor2013: 2:42pm On Sep 29, 2017
Vacuum hose with a service port connected down to the canister box through which gas is being transported to inlet manifold plenum. The service port is a trouble shoot area that has a valve inside through which your smoke detecting machine can be plugged

1 Like

Re: let's discuss Tank Ventilation System by mayor2013: 6:47am On Oct 01, 2017
A typical caricature diagram of an evaporative emission control system.
Source: www.AA1car.com

Re: let's discuss Tank Ventilation System by kingreign(m): 7:42pm On Dec 24, 2017
mayor2013:
A typical caricature diagram of an evaporative emission control system.
Source: www.AA1car.com

more pls
Re: let's discuss Tank Ventilation System by seunoresco: 10:55am On Dec 26, 2017
Been having code p1450 EVAP control system fault on my 2001 Mazda millenia for a while now. Tried all the necessary (Purge valve is fine, filler cap is fine e.t.c), but I still get the code. Any solution?
Re: let's discuss Tank Ventilation System by mayor2013: 2:10pm On Dec 26, 2017
seunoresco:
Been having code p1450 EVAP control system fault on my 2001 Mazda millenia for a while now. Tried all the necessary (Purge valve is fine, filler cap is fine e.t.c), but I still get the code. Any solution?

You could have a leak along the evap line. You need to test where leak is coming from. This leads to escape of gas hence the fault error. Also check your canister box
Re: let's discuss Tank Ventilation System by proclinician: 3:01am On Oct 07, 2020
I have these codes, I don't know the mechanic to contact that can understand this. What do I do? The mechanics in my area are just trial by error guys.

(1) (Reply)

1998 Nissan Primera, 1996 Golf 3 or Mazda 626 As First Car, Kindly Advise / 2001 Toyota Highlander OR 2006 Nissan Pathfinder / Golf3 1.6 And Nissan Primera Saloon 1.6, Which One Is Better And Economical

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.