Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,361 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:54 PM

8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear (62952 Views)

10 Strange Professions That No Longer Exist / I Have Great Respect For People With These Professions. / Why Are People In These Professions Very Rude? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by hatchy(f): 9:17pm On Sep 30, 2017
Buhari see what you have caused?

I'm leaving this country to Congo Brazzaville if so.
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by Nobody: 9:18pm On Sep 30, 2017
Op the only way journalism will 'disappear' as you said is if the practitioners themselves fail to adapt or flow with the ever-changing demands of the modern world. That said,don't just assume tha we 've all stopped buying papers. I still like my news "tangible". You know hard copy over e-papers and I am sure there many others like yours truely. smiley

2 Likes

Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by MTKbudapest(m): 9:20pm On Sep 30, 2017
Settingz321:
Op journalism is not going anywhere anytime soon

I will not tell you until you tell me your motive.
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by JustCryptos: 9:22pm On Sep 30, 2017
@Op. Social Media Manager was never really a profession in Nigeria. Nigerians business people are typically trying to bootstrap and go lean; they want to do everything by themselves - design logo, handle copy writing, build their website, design and print fliers, etc. At the end of the day, they burn out.

From experience it is easy to handle SMM for foreigners than Nigeria. And even the big telcos often employ expatriates.

1 Like

Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by rhames(m): 9:24pm On Sep 30, 2017
nairametrics:

Source https://nairametrics.com/if-you-work-in-any-of-these-8-professions-you-may-be-about-to-disappear/

If the Nigerian economy is on the right course, these professions/jobs will be in short supply. Trust me.
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by Settingz321(m): 9:25pm On Sep 30, 2017
TheMainMan:
...yea journalism is not going anywhere coz its in diff form

buh when last have u read newspaper?

Bro journalism doesn't always have to be on print, it could be Electronic journalism

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by free2ryhme: 9:25pm On Sep 30, 2017
Simispecial:
Hi everyone, does anyone knows any office space in Lagos that is always opened on public holidays and weekends?

hope say you normal with the kind question wey you dey ask
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by maisauki: 9:29pm On Sep 30, 2017
farming wont disappear...whatever d grammar yu know how to blow, whatever d situation of d economy or technology, you'll just need to eat
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by Nobody: 9:29pm On Sep 30, 2017
We should be more scared, at work I wrote a script that automated something, and I sat down to ask myself, could I be replaced if my job was automated by a smart computer and that's not even AI or Machine Learning I wrote, trust me computers are much more effective and efficient than human resource. Not just these but a lot more jobs might be canned.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by sleek82(m): 9:33pm On Sep 30, 2017
You no put call center agents....in Canada now, you can do almost everything over the phone without speaking to an agent when you call the customer service numbers
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by CoolChinex07: 9:36pm On Sep 30, 2017
Standing on the road to do Ashawo work is now going out of fashion. Social Networks have now make it easier for all ladies to partake and even still be pretending to be born agains

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by siliowhizper: 9:37pm On Sep 30, 2017
Don't know if Workstation Victoria Island opens on public holidays but they are opened on weekend.
Simispecial:
Hi everyone, does anyone knows any office space in Lagos that is always opened on public holidays and weekends?
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by TheMainMan: 9:38pm On Sep 30, 2017
Settingz321:

Bro journalism doesn't always have to be on print, it could be Electronic journalism
... that is what m saying undecided

I'm only asking when last you've read a newspaper undecided
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by iluvpomo(m): 9:40pm On Sep 30, 2017
Simispecial:
you no wan rest?? cheesy
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by logica(m): 9:46pm On Sep 30, 2017
dancewith:
Accountants are there to stay. Their roles has always been to ensure the figures churned out by the softwares are accurate. And also to ensure the integrity of the entire financial reports prepared by a business is true
...how does a human verify the accuracy of figures when software can perform same task and even better?
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by Enryking(m): 9:49pm On Sep 30, 2017
TheMainMan:

I want to believe you didn't do your research very well before putting up this stuff about journalism. I was going to quickly take you through McLuhan's assertions but it will only compound your confusion and your shallow knowledge on the subject matter. Now, here are some few reasons I have for you.
1. Before the advent of newspaper, information were written and posted for public consumption and when newspaper came, it has remained unsuppressible. Radio came, and people fell in love with the new technology postulating that the invention would announce the end of newspaper , instead, it only emboldened it. Newspaper didn't die. Television came, and what was said of newspaper was said of radio, but radio and newspaper still remain very relevant. Now, the advent of the internet, television has refused to phase out likewise radio and newspaper. Truth is, the advent of internet has increased unprofessionalism and have lowered the ethics of the profession. Today, almost everybody is a publisher online(citizen journalism) which has given rise to plethora of litigations in the law courts owing to publication of falsehood. In the US, Trump is still having his election probed after an allegation of Russia interference. So, you are very wrong. Be informed that in the US, and UK, newspaper business have continued to thrive enormously, they subscribe and almost all communities have their local newspaper. know this that in Nigeria, it's compulsory for government organizations to publish their adverts on newspaper. The paper-surface lovers will never trade their eyes for the eye-disturbing graphics of the phones or computers. They simply subscribe. Therefore it can't phase out, instead, the arrival of a new technology will only enhance the work of these organizations. Virtually all newspapers have an online platforms these days where they dole out information to online subscribers and it's the reporters doing the job. What you can say is, journalists must be digital, too. Paper and pen is very relevant .

2. The press is the fourth estate of the realm, watching the other three Estates and retaining the confidence of the electorate. Government is not trusted but the press is trusted. Therefore, journalism will continue to be pivotal towards the stability of the society. Donald Trump has continued to rely on his Twitter account and hasn't had a day off of trouble. His greatest undoing will be his social media account. He has been calling the media 'fake' and he has been finding things difficult. He doesn't want to accept the fact that he needs the media so he will fail as the media will not stop reporting him bizarrely. Journalists and their media houses endorse any presidential candidate of the US, a tradition which has overrided time. If journalism must phase out, then it will come from the west. Recently, when hurricane Maria devastated Puerto Rico and The Dominican, there wasn't internet service but it was reported. Who reported it? It was flesh and blood!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by jamesbridget13(f): 9:54pm On Sep 30, 2017
Journalism ke! For what ni?

It seems u don't know that TV can never ever disappear n as such TV stations must strive to give d best hence journalist n their likes will always be needed in fact, will forever be needed. No be only disappear
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by ahmedbanj(m): 9:56pm On Sep 30, 2017
Wait,hope dose local puff puff sellers too no dey among sha?
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by Nobody: 9:56pm On Sep 30, 2017
Settingz321:
Op journalism is not going anywhere anytime soon
Even travel agentsss, they offer lesser than d airliners.
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by henryhemon(m): 9:56pm On Sep 30, 2017
I haven't seen any bull Crap written ever clear case of copy n paste and shows the op has no idea of all those profession he mentioned....How can journalism go away?? How can accountants ever go away,In what context please?

1 Like

Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by scobaba: 9:57pm On Sep 30, 2017
Op the banking profession is just a small sub set of Accounting.
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by designVATExcel: 9:58pm On Sep 30, 2017
I disagree with the journalism part.
To be a journalist for a top TV station, the likes of CNN, Al Jazeera, Fox or our national Channels TV, you still need to be professionally certified.

While continuous development using the online provisions you mentioned is necessary it still cannot substitute for an actual certified program.

1 Like

Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by bayocanny: 10:00pm On Sep 30, 2017
jamesbridget13:
Journalism ke! For what ni?

It seems u don't know that TV can never ever disappear n as such TV stations must strive to give d best hence journalist n their likes will always be needed in fact, will forever be needed. No be only disappear
Maybe the op actually meant "print Journalism" not "broadcast journalism".
To be sincere with you the future of "print journalism" in Nigeria is bleaking and if care is not taking the profession will die a natural death because the socio-economy terrain in this country isn't favourably. The profession is not lucrative enough and the risk involve is greater.
As a communication student, I would rather go for broadcast journalism or public relations better still Advertising(hot cake)
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by designVATExcel: 10:02pm On Sep 30, 2017
TheMainMan:

There's more to journalism than newspaper my friend.
We have investigative journalism that don't even do prints, strictly video.

Btw we still have newspapers the medium has just changed from physical to electronic. The most viewed website, weighed average, in Nigeria is the vanguard newspaper site, so my dear journalism is still very lucrative, it's just paper print that's going away.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by jomoh: 10:03pm On Sep 30, 2017
Ibime:

That's what I always thought but there is scope to reduce our numbers by maybe 30% with automation.

Accountants disappearing? I laugh in Chinese.

Accountants can never go out of vogue. There's no software no matter ho complex it is that can replace what accountants do.

The roles will definitely evolve to accommodate technology but will never go out of vogue cos not every company will be able to use technology and the ones that can will never trust their finances to technologies.

The article is even mixing accountants and financial planners with banking processes. No matter how sophisticated a banks technologies are, they will always need an accountant to interpreter those figures.

People mistake accountants for bankers. That was how a man walked into an audit firm I once worked with to inquire about how to set up an audit firm because he worked and retired as an auditor in a bank. I nearly burst into laughter that day.

Its like saying economics as a profession will disappear.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by H2Ossss(m): 10:04pm On Sep 30, 2017
nairametrics:

Source https://nairametrics.com/if-you-work-in-any-of-these-8-professions-you-may-be-about-to-disappear/

Trying to understand how cashier and accountants relate.. Guy.... Accountants .... I say no more...

1 Like

Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by bayocanny: 10:04pm On Sep 30, 2017
ivoatt:
Biacan, hope you ass no go disappear join.. grin
Na wa for you o, you don't talk to a lady in that manner.
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by biacan(f): 10:05pm On Sep 30, 2017
bayocanny:
Just ignore him
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by ivoatt(m): 10:05pm On Sep 30, 2017
bayocanny:

Can you teach me, how to
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by jomoh: 10:08pm On Sep 30, 2017
H2Ossss:

Trying to understand how cashier and accountants relate.. Guy.... Accountants .... I say no more...

Bros I tire for the illiterate o.

Confusing accountants with bank cashiers.
Re: 8 Professions In Nigeria That May Be About To Disappear by bayocanny: 10:09pm On Sep 30, 2017
biacan:

Just ignore him
Okay

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Masturbation Can Destroy Your Career / Should I Pursue Another Federal Job Or Leave For Canada? / How To Become A Pilot?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.