Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,892 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:42 PM

ALC 2.0 Is Here - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / ALC 2.0 Is Here (11909 Views)

Drupal 9.2.0 Is Available: What’s New In The Latest Update? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by Chigojude: 9:48am On Nov 15, 2017
Olalekank:
I'm not sure. Maybe you are yet to receive. What was your score?
55%
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by crowntoro(f): 10:56am On Nov 15, 2017
guys I scored 85% and I'm yet to receive a mail from andela. does anyone know a mail that I can send to them so Tha I can ask them the criteria they used in making their selection?
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by Nobody: 10:57am On Nov 15, 2017
crowntoro:
guys I scored 85% and I'm yet to receive a mail from andela. does anyone know a mail that I can send to them so Tha I can ask them the criteria they used in making their selection?
i have asked them on Twitter, they are yet to reply tho
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by crowntoro(f): 11:03am On Nov 15, 2017
bjhaid:
i have asked them on Twitter, they are yet to reply tho
I alright then... Let's wait for their reply
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by collinslevi(m): 11:25am On Nov 15, 2017
I scored 80 and I was called
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by collinslevi(m): 11:27am On Nov 15, 2017
crowntoro:
How come you are not?
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 11:36am On Nov 15, 2017
kolinton007:
I scored 60 for Android beginner, any hope?
I got 65% for Android beginner. There is hope. They will send us a mail, whether we are admitted or not. Am still expecting a mail from them.
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by Olalekank(m): 1:09pm On Nov 15, 2017
Chigojude:
55%
I guess that's a bit low. I had 95
some people who had 70 haven't received a mail
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by Chigojude: 3:05pm On Nov 15, 2017
Olalekank:
I guess that's a bit low. I had 95
some people who had 70 haven't received a mail
no probs...I ll apply for the next cohort, when it opens

1 Like

Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by crowntoro(f): 3:54pm On Nov 15, 2017
collinslevi:

How come you are not?
I don't know o
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by COdeGenesis: 4:10pm On Nov 15, 2017
Got a mail from them though, yet to understand how the whole stuff works, scored 85%, I think it's mostly gonna be online throughout. You guys should chill
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by harryakand: 4:53pm On Nov 15, 2017
crowntoro:
Android or web? because I had 85% and I was sent a mail, for android tho
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by Nobody: 8:01pm On Nov 15, 2017
Got an email yesterday. I'm in guys!!!! Although waiting for an invitation to their slack workspace.
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by w3bh4ck: 7:25am On Nov 16, 2017
90% And I got a mail......... So how does it work?.... is it gonna be 100% online?....
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by collinslevi(m): 8:27am On Nov 16, 2017
It's all online..... What you need is data to download the video tutorials
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by Vectormike(m): 8:18am On Nov 17, 2017
I got 90% for Web development and wasn't called.
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by Nobody: 11:07am On Nov 17, 2017
just got this from andela tho
Vectormike:
I got 90% for Web development and wasn't called.

Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by Chigojude: 9:29pm On Nov 17, 2017
bjhaid:
Whao...better luck man! what did you score? I guess that was part of the reason
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by Nobody: 9:54pm On Nov 17, 2017
Chigojude:

Whao...better luck man! what did you score? I guess that was part of the reason
85, you didn't get the mail?
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 10:35pm On Nov 17, 2017
bjhaid:
85, you didn't get the mail?
You mean, you scored 85% and you weren't selected for the program.
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by UniqueMB(f): 9:14am On Nov 18, 2017
Yaay I'm in. Beginner Android Track
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by simiolu1(m): 7:58pm On Nov 18, 2017
Chigojude:

I guess I wasn't selected...when is the next cohort application starting. I really desire to be an Andelan.
The cohort program is different from ALC.

And applications are already open for the next cohort. Visit the Andela website to apply
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by simiolu1(m): 8:20pm On Nov 18, 2017
w3bh4ck:
90% And I got a mail......... So how does it work?.... is it gonna be 100% online?....

The course is online. You would have to open an Udacity account to take the courses. But you should wait to get instructions. You would need data too... lots of it because course content is delivered through videos.

You can decide to get all the videos of the course content at once but the courses are designed in such a way that there is a progress monitor for your account for every video you watch. This progress monitor would be part of your assessment. So in the end, there is no escaping watching the videos online.

You would be invited to a slack channel and subsequently, organized into WhatsApp groups. The slack channels would be very crowded and rowdy; so don't let it overwhelm you. Just follow instructions and you would be fine. The WhatsApp groups would be saner.

Then there are going to be physical meetups which are organized and grouped by your state of residence and location. The meetups are basically to go over the course content and smoothen out areas that people are having issues with.

I suggest that you be active at meetups. Let people know that there is a problem you can solve for them. At my meetup, I was the gradle guy. If anyone had issues with Android studio, I was the go to guy. Contribute too. Watch the videos and understand them before going for the meetups. It would enable you help others.

I got a job offer from the guy handling the meetup I used to attend because of this. I declined the offer though.

Then don't default on your assignments. And do them yourself. A lot of people look for ways to boycott not doing the assignments. But they are putting themselves in poo. The course is designed in such a way that the knowledge builds up. By doing the assignments, you apply what you have learnt and you can judge yourself if you are lagging in some areas.

If you can lay hands on study materials for the track you applied for, it would be a good thing too. So that you can hit the ground running once the course starts.

If you are for web, install the necessary software you would need like code editor ( I would suggest VS Code). Jeffery Way of laracasts.com just published a VS Code series that you should take a look at. I know the web track would be using the MEAN (MongoDB, Express, Angular and NodeJS) stack. So you should also find a way to install node.js and Mongo DB.

The total size of the packages of the MEAN stack should not be over 1GB. I'm not sure though.

If you are for the Android track; then install Android studio. Believe me, this would save you a lot of stress later. The reason is because to install Android studio and get it functional, you would need to install the Java SDK. Android Studio version 3.0 currently clocks in at almost 2GB for the installer. Then you would need to download SDK libraries.

And please, these softwares are not things you can easily come across in computer village. You would only come across them from developer geeks like you. So, spending time to prepare for the course is time well spent.

In the end, starting is easy; finishing is the hard part. All the best

4 Likes

Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by Nobody: 8:30pm On Nov 18, 2017
Gaddafithe2nd:

You mean, you scored 85% and you weren't selected for the program.
yeah bro
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by ajsans: 8:39pm On Nov 18, 2017
bjhaid:
Same mail was sent to me today. Had 80% but didn't make it.
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by simiolu1(m): 8:45pm On Nov 18, 2017
bjhaid:
yeah bro

I would advice you to be patient. So many things are responsible for not getting in. One of them is applying late. Chimdi the program coordinator tweeted that they received over 1000 applications in the first 24hours that the applications were made open.

I would also advice that you befriend someone who has gotten in. The person can give you the videos and you would follow along. If they are given assignment, do it. Follow them learn the thing. The only difference is that you won't have a certificate to back it up.

This was how I learned how to use a computer. I would collect the handouts of my friends who enrolled for desktop publishing in those days and look for somewhere to practice. Today, none of them can match me when it comes to computer knowledge.

Bless up
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 8:46pm On Nov 18, 2017
bjhaid:
yeah bro
This is serious, I wasn't selected also. I scored 65%, I thought that was the reason I wasn't selected not until you said 85%. The selection might be random or FIFO. Based on the mail they sent to us, we would be placed on the custom programme, but we might not receive certificate since we are on the waiting list.
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by Darey00(m): 9:06pm On Nov 18, 2017
simiolu1:

The course is online. You would have to open an Udacity account to take the courses. But you should wait to get instructions. You would need data too... lots of it because course content is delivered through videos.

You can decide to get all the videos of the course content at once but the courses are designed in such a way that there is a progress monitor for your account for every video you watch. This progress monitor would be part of your assessment. So in the end, there is no escaping watching the videos online.

You would be invited to a slack channel and subsequently, organized into WhatsApp groups. The slack channels would be very crowded and rowdy; so don't let it overwhelm you. Just follow instructions and you would be fine. The WhatsApp groups would be saner.

Then there are going to be physical meetups which are organized and grouped by your state of residence and location. The meetups are basically to go over the course content and smoothen out areas that people are having issues with.

I suggest that you be active at meetups. Let people know that there is a problem you can solve for them. At my meetup, I was the gradle guy. If anyone had issues with Android studio, I was the go to guy. Contribute too. Watch the videos and understand them before going for the meetups. It would enable you help others.

I got a job offer from the guy handling the meetup I used to attend because of this. I declined the offer though.

Then don't default on your assignments. And do them yourself. A lot of people look for ways to boycott not doing the assignments. But they are putting themselves in poo. The course is designed in such a way that the knowledge builds up. By doing the assignments, you apply what you have learnt and you can judge yourself if you are lagging in some areas.

If you can lay hands on study materials for the track you applied for, it would be a good thing too. So that you can hit the ground running once the course starts.

If you are for web, install the necessary software you would need like code editor ( I would suggest VS Code). Jeffery Way of laracasts.com just published a VS Code series that you should take a look at. I know the web track would be using the MEAN (MongoDB, Express, Angular and NodeJS) stack. So you should also find a way to install node.js and Mongo DB.

The total size of the packages of the MEAN stack should not be over 1GB. I'm not sure though.

If you are for the Android track; then install Android studio. Believe me, this would save you a lot of stress later. The reason is because to install Android studio and get it functional, you would need to install the Java SDK. Android Studio version 3.0 currently clocks in at almost 2GB for the installer. Then you would need to download SDK libraries.

And please, these softwares are not things you can easily come across in computer village. You would only come across them from developer geeks like you. So, spending time to prepare for the course is time well spent.

In the end, starting is easy; finishing is the hard part. All the best

Thanks for this boss!! That Slack tho, the day I installed it on my phone I no even understand it all..
Awaiting further instructions from Andela tho
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by Nobody: 10:14pm On Nov 18, 2017
simiolu1:

I would advice you to be patient. So many things are responsible for not getting in. One of them is applying late. Chimdi the program coordinator tweeted that they received over 1000 applications in the first 24hours that the applications were made open.

I would also advice that you befriend someone who has gotten in. The person can give you the videos and you would follow along. If they are given assignment, do it. Follow them learn the thing. The only difference is that you won't have a certificate to back it up.

This was how I learned how to use a computer. I would collect the handouts of my friends who enrolled for desktop publishing in those days and look for somewhere to practice. Today, none of them can match me when it comes to computer knowledge.

Bless up
thanks man, not a beginner like that, gainfully employed already and busy with laravel, Alc could've have just been a plus
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by Nobody: 10:15pm On Nov 18, 2017
Gaddafithe2nd:

This is serious, I wasn't selected also. I scored 65%, I thought that was the reason I wasn't selected not until you said 85%. The selection might be random or FIFO. Based on the mail they sent to us, we would be placed on the custom programme, but we might not receive certificate since we are on the waiting list.
okay, selection was probably random
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by simiolu1(m): 4:38am On Nov 19, 2017
bjhaid:
thanks man, not a beginner like that, gainfully employed already and busy with laravel, Alc could've have just been a plus

You welcome

Darey00:

Thanks for this boss!! That Slack tho, the day I installed it on my phone I no even understand it all..
Awaiting further instructions from Andela tho

Slack can be very overwhelming. Just take your time with it
Re: ALC 2.0 Is Here by Nobody: 6:06am On Nov 19, 2017
95% web dev, emailed me first saying I'm in then emailed again saying they are sorry. sad sad I'm done guys, good luck to all those that got in for real.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Are Nigerian Programmers So Dumb? / The Most Difficult Software To Write.... In Existence / Programmers: Share Your Twitter Handle

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.