Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,100 members, 7,811,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:10 PM

Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? (3815 Views)

Is It Proper To Borrow Money From Your Boss To Pay Rent / Is It Proper To Introduce Oneself As Miss Or Mrs? / Company To Pay Damages For A French Engineer Who Died While Having Sex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by afoife: 6:42am On Oct 01, 2017
Hello NL happy independence day. Just curious cos I work on part basis with an organisation where tax is been deducted from source just last week a colleague also on part time told me he was told at the internal revenue that we are not expected to be taxed as part time staff
Re: Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by baski92(m): 7:02am On Oct 01, 2017
afoife:
Hello NL happy independence day. Just curious cos I work on part basis with an organisation where tax is been deducted from source just last week a colleague also on part time told me he was told at the internal revenue that we are not expected to be taxed as part time staff
you have just been scam

Re: Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by IneedSugarMumy1(m): 8:29am On Oct 01, 2017
Go and collect your money back undecided
Re: Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by Nobody: 8:29am On Oct 01, 2017
Unfortunately, according to the amended personal income tax Act 2011, all workers whether casual, temporary or full time, as long as you are resident in this country for a particular number of days, you are liable to pay tax to the government.

So yes, the company was right to deduct tax from your pay.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by loomer: 8:29am On Oct 01, 2017
How much you dey collect nai supos determine
Re: Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by peteredo: 8:29am On Oct 01, 2017
Yes
Re: Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by chibike69: 8:29am On Oct 01, 2017
next
Re: Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by sakalisis(m): 8:30am On Oct 01, 2017
Re: Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by Kfed4ril(m): 8:30am On Oct 01, 2017
Chai
Re: Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by Deicide: 8:31am On Oct 01, 2017
we pay tax on everything grin
Re: Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by lafuria1(m): 8:35am On Oct 01, 2017
afoife:
No reason to tax you, the issue is companies use this whole tax issue and pension to steal from their employees.
The companies don't remit this tax to FIRS.
Ask the company for your tax certificate showing prove that you have been paying tax and hear what they will tell you.
Re: Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by luvola(m): 8:47am On Oct 01, 2017
in accordance with PITA act , depending on the terms of the contract with the company. If you are being paid at month end , the company have the right to deduct paye and remit to the state internal revenue. if your service is mere contract of service and you invoice them , they have the right to deduct withholding tax and remit to tax authority depending whether you are a individual or corporate entity. From the way I see the service you render ,you seems to be a contract staff with them. so they have right to deduct paye ( if you are on their payroll )

. Holla at me if you have any tax /accounting issues @ all

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by Talk2Bella(f): 9:07am On Oct 01, 2017
LastMumu:
Unfortunately, according to the amended personal income tax Act 2011, all workers whether casual or temporary or full time, as long as you are resident in this country for a particular number of days, you are liable to pay tax to the government.

So yes the company was right to deduct tax from your pay.

your moniker does you no justice my friend, lol

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by SULBELL(m): 9:23am On Oct 01, 2017
afoife:

As most experienced accountant/tax practitioners have commented, the 2011 PITAM ensures everybody is captured in the tax net irrespective of work mode.
However, If you are in Lagos, ensure your employee gives you a tax card (it serves as a tax clearance certificate) with which you can use to track if the tax deducted have been remitted accordingly. The sad thing is that most employer only deduct without remitting to the tax authority.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by Nobody: 10:03am On Oct 01, 2017
Talk2Bella:

your moniker does you no justice my friend, lol

That is until you read any post of mine on a normal day, then will you see why my moniker fits me perfectly. grin
Re: Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by Talk2Bella(f): 10:13am On Oct 01, 2017
LastMumu:

That is until you read any post of mine on a normal day, then will you see why my moniker fits me perfectly. grin

loool

I do read them, still doesn't mask your intelligence

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by InvertedHammer: 10:38am On Oct 01, 2017
afoife:

It is called "Income" tax for a reason.

\

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by banmee(m): 10:40am On Oct 01, 2017
lafuria1:

No reason to tax you, the issue is companies use this whole tax issue and pension to steal from their employees.
The companies don't remit this tax to FIRS.
Ask the company for your tax certificate showing prove that you have been paying tax and hear what they will tell you.

Legally, the onus of collecting tax is on the government and not the employer. So if the government does not ask for it the company will not pay. It is like that all over the world.
Re: Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by Koolking(m): 11:52am On Oct 01, 2017
afoife:

Yes, you are expected to pay tax on any income earn. People on commission pay are not exempted as well

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Oct 01, 2017
afoife:
Ask the internal revenue staff which tax law said that?
Re: Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by lafuria1(m): 1:00pm On Oct 01, 2017
banmee:

Legally, the onus of collecting tax is on the government and not the employer. So if the government does not ask for it the company will not pay. It is like that all over the world.

why do people get punished foe evading tax?

any company caught evading tax will be duly punished, its the responsibility for the employer to pay tax, not paying is criminal.

even though its the government responsibilities to ensure companies pay tax, if the company chose no to pay because nobody asked, if caught, the company will be punished, nothing like i wasn't asked because every company has already signed an under taken to pay tax.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by banmee(m): 1:04pm On Oct 01, 2017
lafuria1:

why do people get punished foe evading tax?

any company caught evading tax will be duly punished, its the responsibility for the employer to pay tax, not paying is criminal.

even though its the government responsibilities to ensure companies pay tax, if the company chose no to pay because nobody asked, if caught, the company will be punished, nothing like i wasn't asked because every company has already signed an under taken to pay tax.

Do you understand what "onus" is?
Re: Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by Melian(f): 9:12pm On Oct 01, 2017
afoife:

Even beneficiaries of trust funds/ settlements/ estates are required by law to pay tax, how much more you a worker, part-time or not. Even if you work as a freelancer, as long as you're living, earning income on a job or jobs and are resident in the country in which you are being taxed, my dear, you're liable to tax, compulsorily, in form of withholding tax.

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Pay Tax On Part Time Jobs ? by designVATExcel: 10:50pm On Oct 01, 2017
It's always better to get information from the source. Here's the contact info for FIRS tax unit.

Email: taxpayer.service@firs.gov.ng
Phone: 08113796962 or 08113796577

I hope the line is responsive.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

What Can I Do As A Political Science Student / My Course 44 Experience In Nda 2016 / Are Job Opportunities Opened To Linguistics Graduates In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.