Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,350 members, 7,822,652 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) (5217 Views)

22-Year-Old Ojukwu And His Aunty, Winifred, On His Return From Oxford In 1955 / Bianca Ojukwu And Her Children: Then & Now / Odumegwu Ojukwu And Yakubu Gowon Smile Together In 2010 Throwback Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by Buharimustgo: 8:16am On Oct 02, 2017
ruggedized1:

Louis Odumegwu-Ojukwu, according to anecdotes, was the first billionaire Nigeria ever produced. He was the founding president of the Nigerian Stock Exchange. As an honour for supporting the British military during World War II with his fleet of trucks, he was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II. The queen – on the request of the colonial administration – was said to be driven in a Rolls Royce owned by Ojukwu.

“Few people realise that he still remains the richest African by every standard today, worth in trillions if you consider that he left about £10m in 1966 – at 10 per cent compound interest,” SUNDAY PUNCH was told by a source close to the family.

Ojukwu was said to have made his money by importing dried fish, dealing in textiles, cement and transport.

He was also the president of the African Continental Bank. He was on the board of companies such as Shell Oil Nigeria Limited, Guinness Nig. Ltd, Nigerian National Shipping Lines, Nigerian Cement Factory, Nigerian Coal Corporation, Costain West Africa Ltd, John Holt, and Nigerian Marketing Board, among others.

He co-authored a report on the Economic Mission to Europe and North America, which recommended the investment of extra funds from the produce marketing board in a regional bank and public corporations to stimulate economic development. He was known for his exquisite taste in clothes, shoes and food.

When he died a year later, his wealth was put at an estimated $4bn in today’s economic value.

http://punchng.com/old-money-10-super-rich-men-of-independence-era/

Jealousy and envy will not allow him to admit it

1 Like

Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by Omoluabi16(m): 6:51pm On Oct 02, 2017
Ishilove:

Me too, not this rotten and hopeless generation I find myself
hahaha. no follow me oh. abeg dey this your generation of 'woh, shakiti bobo and shoki.
Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by Ishilove: 7:52pm On Oct 02, 2017
Omoluabi16:
hahaha. no follow me oh. abeg dey this your generation of 'woh, shakiti bobo and shoki.
Me ke? I no dey follow you o. I'm old skool cool
Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by yomexp(m): 8:39pm On Oct 02, 2017
ruggedized1:

Louis Odumegwu-Ojukwu, according to anecdotes, was the first billionaire Nigeria ever produced. He was the founding president of the Nigerian Stock Exchange. As an honour for supporting the British military during World War II with his fleet of trucks, he was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II. The queen – on the request of the colonial administration – was said to be driven in a Rolls Royce owned by Ojukwu.

“Few people realise that he still remains the richest African by every standard today, worth in trillions if you consider that he left about £10m in 1966 – at 10 per cent compound interest,” SUNDAY PUNCH was told by a source close to the family.

Ojukwu was said to have made his money by importing dried fish, dealing in textiles, cement and transport.

He was also the president of the African Continental Bank. He was on the board of companies such as Shell Oil Nigeria Limited, Guinness Nig. Ltd, Nigerian National Shipping Lines, Nigerian Cement Factory, Nigerian Coal Corporation, Costain West Africa Ltd, John Holt, and Nigerian Marketing Board, among others.

He co-authored a report on the Economic Mission to Europe and North America, which recommended the investment of extra funds from the produce marketing board in a regional bank and public corporations to stimulate economic development. He was known for his exquisite taste in clothes, shoes and food.

When he died a year later, his wealth was put at an estimated $4bn in today’s economic value.

http://punchng.com/old-money-10-super-rich-men-of-independence-era/
Igbo una lie lie too much. Even the link u posted didn't even say much about ojukwu
Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by true2god: 9:46pm On Oct 02, 2017
ruggedized1:
This is a throwback picture of two greatest Nigerians both of Anambra descent.

Rt. Hon. Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe born 1904, was Nigeria's first president. He was equally the first and last black governor general of Nigeria. He hails from Onitsha.

Sir Louise Odumegwu Ojukwu born 1908, was Africa's first millionaire from Nnewi. He was the father of former warlord and eze Igbo worldwide- Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu

Lalasticlala
I like the iPhone with Sir Louis Ojukwu. I will visit computer village to get one.
Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by asha9: 9:37am On Oct 06, 2017
lalasticlala this thread should be on the frontpage. Thank you
Re: Louise Ojukwu And Nnamdi Azikiwe In 1954 (Throwback Photo) by Okoroawusa: 10:21am On Oct 06, 2017
Cant we just enjoy the pics of these great sons of Nigeria without ethnic bickering?

If they were thinking the way some of us think these days,I dnt think they wld ve risen to the pinnacle of their chosen fields.

Am glad am seeing the pic of louise ojukwu for the first time.
He was a great man.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking: Peter Obi Of PDP Wins Vice Presidential Debate / TCN Sets To Resume Work At Abandoned Sub Station In Gombe / Photos From The Girls Hostel At Muhammadu Buhari College In Borno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.