Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,609 members, 7,827,297 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:16 AM

6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres (8961 Views)

How To Know When Car Tyres Need Replacing / How To Tell If Your Car Tyres Are Expired / See What A Melting Road Did To Car Tyres After An Heavy Rain & Sun In Australia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by AutoJoshNG: 2:49pm On Oct 04, 2017
Tyres let you have a smooth and safe drive. Since they play a vital role in your car, it is important to maintain them properly. Tyres deteriorate quickly because that's the only car component that makes contact with the hard road surface. 

However, you can make your car tyres last longer and save a lot of money with these simple steps...

Maintain Recommended Pressure

Inflate the tyres as recommended by the tyre and/or car manufacturer. Make sure all the tyres always have the required pressure.. This is usually stated on the pillar the driver's door locks into. Check the air pressure of the tyres occasionally (recent cars now come with tyre pressure monitoring systems). Over-inflating your tyre(s) is absolutely dangerous.. so is under-inflating.

Tyre Rotation

Tyre rotation is a good practice to extend the lifespan of your car tyres. It is recommended to rotate the tyres every 6, 000 miles. You can do the rotation by yourself or with the help of your vulcanizer or mechanic when you go for an oil change. It is advised to rotate the tyres diagonally from front to rear. Some vehicles have larger tyres in the rear compare to those in front.. In this case, consider rotating the tyres between the same axles.

Visual Inspection

Do visual inspections on regular basis.. the tyres may pick a nail, have a cut or uneven wear. Visual inspection will enable you to be proactive and not wait till the tyres are badly damaged before you act. 

Wheel Balancing and Alignment

Bad wheel alignment will result in uncomfortable driving experience as well as quick tyre wear.. The wheel balancing and alignment should not cost you above N6,000 to do but you could end up having to buy a N60,000 tyre after the damage has been done.

Accessories

Don't forget to have your tyre related accessories like a good jack, wheel spanner, small air compressor etc. This will enable you attend to your car tyres anywhere and anytime without having to damage the car tyres. Something as simple as borrowing wheel spanners can damage the wheel knots.

Avoid Potholes

Although, this is difficult to achieve with the bad state of our roads... but you just have to avoid those potholes. They can deform your car tyres, damage the alignment and even cause a tyre burst.  

Add yours and don't forget to like and share. 

https://autojosh.com/x-ways-extend-life-car-tyres/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by iihtlagos: 3:07pm On Oct 04, 2017
Nice piece bro, but not on Nigerian roads.

Changing of tyres is just like (k) Constant.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by davit: 8:26pm On Oct 04, 2017
My car shows that its psi is 32 but my vulcaniser usually makes it 40.any danger in this?

2 Likes

Re: 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by niqqaclaimz(m): 7:11am On Oct 05, 2017
Nice one.Don't forget to check this out.
https://www.nairaland.com/4092389/how-earn-15-online-hourly
Re: 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by Pabloosas(m): 7:14am On Oct 05, 2017
A
Re: 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by Fistop: 7:14am On Oct 05, 2017
AVOID POTHOLES? NOT IN LAGOS
Re: 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by Akemmi(m): 7:16am On Oct 05, 2017
Thank you
Re: 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by HumanistMike(m): 7:19am On Oct 05, 2017
Tyre pressures are very important.

I even bought a handy tyre pressure gauge for cheap off Jumia.

Peep my signature
Re: 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by BTT(m): 7:28am On Oct 05, 2017
# Where psi on car beam negates recommended psi on actual tyre, I always allow the tyre manufacturer's recommendation win. After all na dem know the quality of their products.

# Inside-Out. For whatever reason, I always insist that my vulcanizer adheres to manufacturer's instructions about where should be 'Inside' or 'Outside'. I stopped suffering from having twisted tyres the moment i knew this.

1 Like

Re: 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by Sixaxis: 7:28am On Oct 05, 2017
davit:
My car shows that its psi is 32 but my vulcaniser usually makes it 40.any danger in this?

Yes!! I guess ur learned than ur vulcanizer is..
Do the drill..
Re: 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by Kingvick: 7:44am On Oct 05, 2017
Nice Write Up.. I think the maintenance of the tyres are like the most important of all

Corruption: Nigeria Judge Sacked For Over N200, 000 Bribe
Re: 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by brainpulse: 7:51am On Oct 05, 2017
I avoid potholes as much as possible, when inevitable I slowed down. I haven't had problems with my shocks and tyres in 4 years and I stay in Lagos and use my car.
I think Nigerians drive roughly and still wants the car to last long.
Re: 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by sammily(m): 7:57am On Oct 05, 2017
AutoJoshNG:

Avoid Potholes

Although, this is difficult to achieve with the bad state of our roads... but you just have to avoid those potholes. They can deform your car tyres, damage the alignment and even cause a tyre burst.  

grin grin Nigerian roads be looking at you like...

3 Likes

Re: 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by SoftDealz: 8:00am On Oct 05, 2017
Nice piece

Re: 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by Revolva(m): 8:11am On Oct 05, 2017
noting concern me i no get motor
Re: 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by Naturallyme: 8:12am On Oct 05, 2017
Pls don't do beyond 40
davit:
Re: 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by Naturallyme: 8:14am On Oct 05, 2017
As per air pressure, remember air expands at high temperature. The pressure increases during hot sun or long distance driving hence cause over inflated tire to burst.
AutoJoshNG:
Tyres let you have a smooth and safe drive. Since they play a vital role in your car, it is important to maintain them properly. Tyres deteriorate quickly because that's the only car component that makes contact with the hard road surface. 

However, you can make your car tyres last longer and save a lot of money with these simple steps...

Maintain Recommended Pressure

Inflate the tyres as recommended by the tyre and/or car manufacturer. Make sure all the tyres always have the required pressure.. This is usually stated on the pillar the driver's door locks into. Check the air pressure of the tyres occasionally (recent cars now come with tyre pressure monitoring systems). Over-inflating your tyre(s) is absolutely dangerous.. so is under-inflating.

Tyre Rotation

Tyre rotation is a good practice to extend the lifespan of your car tyres. It is recommended to rotate the tyres every 6, 000 miles. You can do the rotation by yourself or with the help of your vulcanizer or mechanic when you go for an oil change. It is advised to rotate the tyres diagonally from front to rear. Some vehicles have larger tyres in the rear compare to those in front.. In this case, consider rotating the tyres between the same axles.

Visual Inspection

Do visual inspections on regular basis.. the tyres may pick a nail, have a cut or uneven wear. Visual inspection will enable you to be proactive and not wait till the tyres are badly damaged before you act. 

Wheel Balancing and Alignment

Bad wheel alignment will result in uncomfortable driving experience as well as quick tyre wear.. The wheel balancing and alignment should not cost you above N6,000 to do but you could end up having to buy a N60,000 tyre after the damage has been done.

Accessories

Don't forget to have your tyre related accessories like a good jack, wheel spanner, small air compressor etc. This will enable you attend to your car tyres anywhere and anytime without having to damage the car tyres. Something as simple as borrowing wheel spanners can damage the wheel knots.

Avoid Potholes

Add yours and don't forget to like and share. 

https://autojosh.com/x-ways-extend-life-car-tyres/

Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy
Seun

Re: 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by valentineuwakwe(m): 8:17am On Oct 05, 2017
well this is ok but it wil come in handy when I wait and buy the GM electric motor in 2023
Re: 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by ignis: 8:44am On Oct 05, 2017
Is it possible to avoid potholes in Nigeria Roads?

1 Like

Re: 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by Nobody: 9:11am On Oct 05, 2017
The global headquarters of pot-holes is Niger state. Trust me, we buy tires semi-annually
Re: 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by femi4: 9:12am On Oct 05, 2017
brainpulse:
I avoid potholes as much as possible, when inevitable I slowed down. I haven't had problems with my shocks and tyres in 4 years and I stay in Lagos and use my car.
I think Nigerians drive roughly and still wants the car to last long.
Where have you been driving,

Try Akute, Itoikin-Epe, Odongunyan-Ogijo

Come back and tell me if your shocks and tyres are still in good conditions after 6months
Re: 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by femi4: 9:14am On Oct 05, 2017
ignis:
Is it possible to avoid potholes in Nigeria Roads?
We ll get there some day
Re: 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by Nostradamu(m): 10:34am On Oct 05, 2017
Fistop:
AVOID Paying OTHOLES? NOT IN LAGOS

You mean "not in Nigeria"? grin grin grin
Re: 6 Ways To Extend The Life Of Your Car Tyres by tete7000(m): 12:46pm On Oct 05, 2017
davit:

The tyres themselves usually come with recommended pressure written on them. Ensure you never exceed that recommended pressure. Most vulcanized do 40psi all round, it's their style but I believe it is safe to stay within recommended car pressure

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Safety Precautions To Observe When Jacking Up Your Car / Does Double Cell Radiator Consume More Fuel? / Honda's Mean Mower Is Set To Become The World’s Fastest Lawnmower

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.