Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,743 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:29 PM

Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands (36320 Views)

Armed Men Break Into Nigerian High Commission In Ghana, Demolish Apartments / Buhari Makes New Appointments into Nigerian Sovereign Investment Authority (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by SeunOluwafemi: 2:06pm On Oct 06, 2017
Mr. Vincent Egechukwu Obetta, Senior Special Assistant (Inter-governmental Affairs, Compliance and Electoral Process) to the governor of Enugu State, has stated that the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) played into the hands of the Federal Government by its hate-filled agitation. Mr. Obetta, a former counsel to Mr. Nnamdi Kanu, the IPOB leader, stated this in an interview. He noted that between September 12 and 17, violent clashes between IPOB members and Nigerian Army troops on Operation Python Dance II resulted in the death of some people, subsequent proscription of IPOB activities by South-East governors and the designation of IPOB as a terrorist organization.

While commiserating with the families of the dead and wishing the injured speedy recovery, Mr. Obetta said the atmosphere in the South-East zone is too dense with hatred. He also stated that the casualty figures being bandied are purely speculative.

“There is no casualty desk record. The casualty figures we have lies within the realm of speculations as to the exact figure of dead and missing persons. On the proscription of IPOB by South-East governors, I will advise that the voice of reason should prevail in this case. It is senseless to be legalistic about it against the backdrop of the impending carnage that was staring the South-East governors in the face at the time,” he said.

He argued that the primary issue should be whether the decision was right at the time, saying the security and welfare of the people should be the primary purpose of government. “That is the basic constitutional duty of the South-East governors is as contained in Chapter II of 1999 constitution.

To that extent, I salute the governors’ proactive measure that stemmed the tide of an impending massacre in Igboland. On the propriety of the Federal Governments’ designation of IPOB as a terrorist organization, I can authoritatively say that the IPOB played into the hands of the Federal Government. I can recall that when I was counsel to Nnamdi Kanu (IPOB leader), the Federal Government played that card. While we were still at the Magistrate Court, Wuse, contending with the issue of Kanu’s bail, the prosecution surreptitiously went to the Federal High Court and obtained an order to further detain Kanu for another 90 days on the ground that they were investigating his involvement in an act of terrorism,” he said.

That court order, he recalled, was set aside and his unconditional release was ordered. Mr. Obetta said he has since reached a conclusion that the Federal Government waited to gather evidence relating to terrorism to fully implicate the IPOB and that the definition of terrorism is open-ended.

“The implication is that many ordinary criminal actions may also be found to constitute terrorist actions under the Act. So, the designation of IPOB as a terrorist organization may be immoral, unconscionable and overreaching, but that is the law today. The Terrorism (Prevention) and (Proscription Order) Notice, 2017 stands as the extant Presidential proclamation. As a result, I advise members of this group to respect Mr. President’s proclamation order until it is set aside on appeal,” Mr. Obetta counselled.

Mr. Obetta also described, as of no relevance, the disagreement of the US government with the Federal Government’s classification of IPOB as a terrorist group.

“When George Bush Jr. (former US President), in concert with the US Congress, enacted the US Patriot Act in the wake of the 9/11 attacks, the endorsement of the Nigerian government was not sought. For purpose of clarity, what the US Ambassador said in this respect was that the activities of IPOB does not constitute terrorism under the US law. He may be right, considering the fact that there is no universally accepted definition of the term terrorism. As I speak, there are over 250 definitions of terrorism today and that explains the mantra that ‘one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter’. More importantly and for your information, Nigeria is a sovereign nation recognized under international law,” he argued.

The Enugu governor’s aide also spoke on the efforts of Mr. Orji Uzor Kalu, a former governor of Abia State, to intervene in the dispute between IPOB and the Federal Government. According to him, he had expressed the view that the agitation was spinning out of control and felt there was a need to get influential Igbo leaders to intervene. To this end, Obetta said he arranged for Mr. Kalu to visit the IPOB leader in Kuje prison. Prior to the visit, he added, he had contacted some prominent Igbo leaders to visit him, but they declined.

“When I contacted Mr. Kalu, he accepted, not just to pay him a visit but to also intervene in calling for a dialogue. We had a meeting with some top relevant security agencies, who granted the permission for Mr. Orji Kalu to see Mr. Kanu. But to my greatest shock, I read in an online blog, a week later, that President Mohammadu Buhari sent Mr. Kalu to beg Kanu to stop his agitation for a price. It was so shocking and heartrending. As far as I know, Mr. Kalu’s intervention was to halt the hardship the agitation may foist on his kinsmen living in the North,” said the governor’s aide.

Vincent Obetta
He wondered why pro-Biafra elements, on account of Mr. Kalu’s decision to intervene, decided to insult the former governor simply because he holds a contrary opinion. Mr. Obetta contended it is contradictory to assert one’s right to self-determination, yet deny others their right to hold contrary views on the same subject.

“Revolutionaries like Nelson Mandela of South Africa, Che Guevara of Cuba, Mao Tse Tung of China and the current agitators for the self-determination in Spain restricted their campaigns and advocacy on government issues and policies as well as accommodated contrary view. The struggle for self-determination by IPOB, like the Palestinian struggle, is an impersonal race,” he stated.

He noted that he and other figures like former presidents Olusegun Obasanjo and Goodluck Jonathan, all South-East governors, President of Ohaneze Ndi Igbo, – Chief Nnia Nwodo; Mr. Debe Ojukwu, son of Chief Odumegwu Ojukwu; Chief Joe Igbokwe, Chief Chekwas Okorie and Chief Dozie Ikedife have been insulted and described as bastards and Hausa slaves.

Mr. Obetta advised that the current adversarial narrative must change. While urging South-East governors to accelerate the process of economic self-determination of the region through the opening of the South- East economic buffer zone to create job opportunities, Mr. Obetta advised the Federal Government to immediately open talks with relevant stakeholders towards restructuring the country equity, unity and progress.

On the forthcoming council polls in the state, Obetta said the Enugu State government, under Mr. Ifeanyi Uguwanyi, has provided all the stimuli required for a free and fair electoral process on 4 November.

The governor has constituted a committee headed by Chief Edward Ubosi, Speaker of the House of Assembly, who investigated and weeded ghost workers in local councils. The government also amended the anachronistic provisions of the Enugu State Independent Electoral Commission (ENSIEC) and local government laws, reconstituted the Board of ENSIEC and sought for the approval of funding for the conduct of the polls,” he said.

http://saharareporters.com/2017/10/06/nnamdi-kanu%E2%80%99s-former-lawyer-says-ipob-played-nigeria-govt-hands-lauds-seast-governors

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by Hashimyussufamao(m): 2:09pm On Oct 06, 2017
really

1 Like

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by OjukwuWarBird: 2:09pm On Oct 06, 2017
Even nonentities are now talking thanks to the stupid FG who couldn't see the trap laid for it by Kanu

Kanu 1: Buhari 0

83 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by LionDeLeo: 2:12pm On Oct 06, 2017
Mr. Vincent Egechukwu Obetta is an "afonja". grin grin cheesy

59 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by Tolexander: 2:25pm On Oct 06, 2017
OjukwuWarBird:
Even nonentities are now talking thanks to the stupid FG who couldn't see the trap laid for it by Kanu

lol!

Kanu won and he bolted.
Buhari lost and still remains the President?

Anuofia!

Let me help you with pictures to back your nonsense!

235 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by CrtlAltDel: 2:27pm On Oct 06, 2017
But Igbos ciamed FG fell for thier script… from arresting Kanu to Kanu fleeing to UK through cameroon and malaysia…. All na ipob script, wait for the next ipob script Oct 17 grin grin grin

95 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by Blue3k(m): 2:39pm On Oct 06, 2017
He argued that the primary issue should be whether the decision was right at the time, saying the security and welfare of the people should be the primary purpose of government. “That is the basic constitutional duty of the South-East governors is as contained in Chapter II of 1999 constitution.

Wrong due process should have been obeyed.

“There is no casualty desk record. The casualty figures we have lies within the realm of speculations as to the exact figure of dead and missing persons.

Are you guys going to release a report. It's been weeks now and we still hear this.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by macluvph1(m): 2:48pm On Oct 06, 2017
Bolustical:
[/s]

All these people you cited as examples came back later to become somebody in life and in fact, to liberate and lead their people. Please kindly do well in answering these question without insults.

1. Please can you tell Nairalanders how Ojukwu came back to liberate Biafrans after wasting over 2 million Igbos?

2. How many people did these people (Moses, David, Tinubu, Obasanjo) waste in order to achieve their selfish ambitions?

3. Did Moses come back to contest elections/seek political relevance in Egypt like Ojukwu did in 2003?

4. Why can't Nnamdi Kanu behave like Mandela who preferred to spend 27 years in Rhodes Island instead of bolting like Ojukwu did?

My answers to your above questions are as follows;

1) Ojukwu came back when his second in command(Philip Effiong) has surrendered to Nigeria and an agreement reached"No victor,no vanquished"

2) Moses killed an Egyptian woman fighting with an Israeli woman, Obasanjo killed Odi people for his selfish interest which is unacceptable, ask Tinubu about his stance and involvement on NADECO and radio Kudirat and relate it with people who died and gavein their lives on what he tinubu stood for then.

3) We are talking of Nnamdi kanu and not Ojukwu, don't digress.

4) Mandela was once on exile in Enugu Nigeria, and remember that technology has advanced that's why Nnamdi Kanu's brothers all over the world are not sleeping. you can testify to their resoluteness.

Finally, it's only the military can tell us where Nnamdi kanu is today for invading his house and killing so many people and since then nobody has heard from NK.
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)

This lawyer from the onset when he was incharge of NK's case i didn't see him going far, all i saw in him was a low life lawyer seeking for political appointment,fame and money. i couldn't even comprehend one good thing he did in NK's case until Ejiofor took over and things changed.

Anyway am not surprise at his comment because its still his type that are depriving South-eastern people there freedom, imagine Enugu state governor rewarded him with an appointment(SSA) and he is now singing a different tune after defending the so-called person he is lambasting here.

Please ask this loud mouthed lawyer one question which is" What made Nnamdi Kanu to sack him as his(Nnamdi Kanu) lawyer" the answer will now answer the reason why the so-called lawyer is talking like a chichidodo here.

In conclusion i am sorry for someone who has no honor, money can buy you everything but can't buy you the love and honor the masses in South east/south and people with good conscience all over NIgeria gives to Nnamdi Kanu.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by macluvph1(m): 2:49pm On Oct 06, 2017
Tolexander:
lol!

Kanu won and he bolted.
Buhari lost and still remain the President?

Anuofia!

Let me help you with a pictures to back your nonsense!

Bros, i have these following words for you concerning your write up.

1) Is not who first call police dey always win the case.

2) He who laugh last,laughs best.

3) Moses once ran away from Egypt and later come back to set his people free and assuming he didn't do that the freedom of Israel might have been elongated.

4) David in the bible also ran when Saul wanted to kill him and later he(David) was made/crowned the king of Israel.

In summary the downfall of a man is not the end of his life. As for NK i believe him and his group are seriously strategising and this is what Obasanjo and Tinubu saw and told Buhari to negotiate but you(BMC)will keep on cheering Buhari till his downfall is completed.

Make hay while the sun shine and also pursue a black goat in the afternoon before night fall.

Sorry for the adages, but in critical times my people use it to talk to the mature ones who can also understand.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by Promismike(m): 2:50pm On Oct 06, 2017
Ok. Thank God you agreed innocent people were killed.

The truth remains if Nigeria really want to end militancy, agitation for secession and sectionalism that has kept us backward for years. It should just embark on restructuring(fiscal federalism). This will solve many of our problems.

3 Likes

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by AntiWailer: 2:51pm On Oct 06, 2017
He is not wise

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by Ezigbonmadu: 2:51pm On Oct 06, 2017
Because he's a dumb motherfucker.

3 Likes

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by malton: 2:51pm On Oct 06, 2017
True that. Man's not wise. His advisers, even worse.

He thought he could trash-talk his way into independence.

He and his followers think that the international community will throw open its arms and give them a warm embrace for a job well done.

They forget that other countries are distantly absorbed in their own problems, and won’t even care enough to as little as ask questions.

Look what happened in Catalonia. Most big countries have separatists problems of their own, so know where it pinches.

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by Yyeske(m): 2:51pm On Oct 06, 2017
Afonja and Aboki combined according to IPOB terrorists.
Meanwhile, it's obvious that Nnamdi kanu played the fool and his minions kept shouting that the FG fell into kanu's trap. Imagine a former counsel to Nnamdi kanu could say it the way it is and these terrorists here are saying otherwise

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by Bolustical: 2:51pm On Oct 06, 2017
I am still surprised that there is no comment (from our brothers)yet tagging this man AFONJA!

What is happening?

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by Bolustical: 2:51pm On Oct 06, 2017
OjukwuWarBird:

If Mr Vincent Egechukwu Obetta- a Senior Special Assistant to the governor of Enugu State & a FORMER COUNSEL to Mr. Nnamdi Kanu, the IPOB leader is a nonentity to you?

Who are you sir?

101 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by Bolustical: 2:52pm On Oct 06, 2017
macluvph1:

[s]Bros, i have these following words for you concerning your write up.

1) Is not who first call police dey always win the case.

2) He who laugh last,laughs best.

3) Moses once ran away from Egypt and later come back to set his people free and assuming he didn't do that the freedom of Israel might have been elongated.

4) David in the bible also ran when Saul wanted to kill him and later he(David) was made/crowned the king of Israel.

In summary the downfall of a man is not the end of his life. As for NK i believe him and his group are seriously strategising and this is what Obasanjo and Tinubu saw and told Buhari to negotiate but you(BMC)will keep on cheering Buhari till his downfall is completed.

Make hay while the sun shine and also pursue a black goat in the afternoon before night fall.

Sorry for the adages, but in critical times my people use it to talk to the mature ones who can also understand.
[/s]

All these people you cited as examples came back later to become somebody in life and in fact, to liberate and lead their people. Please kindly do well in answering these question without insults.

1. Please can you tell Nairalanders how Ojukwu came back to liberate Biafrans after wasting over 2 million Igbos?

2. How many people did these people (Moses, David, Tinubu, Obasanjo) waste in order to achieve their selfish ambitions?

3. Did Moses come back to contest elections/seek political relevance in Egypt like Ojukwu did in 2003?

4. Why can't Nnamdi Kanu behave like Mandela who preferred to spend 27 years in Rhodes Island instead of bolting like Ojukwu did?

85 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by CYBERCRIME(m): 2:52pm On Oct 06, 2017
Buhari die die die die

5 Likes

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by ifyan(m): 2:52pm On Oct 06, 2017
Hero to some people U know
Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by AntiWailer: 2:52pm On Oct 06, 2017
OjukwuWarBird:

grin grin grin cheesy cheesy

Bragging again

Chai

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by Kizyte(m): 2:52pm On Oct 06, 2017
In a haste to book some space and still can't read the long text.
Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by gebest: 2:52pm On Oct 06, 2017
And he was dealt with accordingly

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by Yyeske(m): 2:54pm On Oct 06, 2017
OjukwuWarBird:

Buhari decimated IPOB and Nnamdi kanu and you want to weep here

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by Firefire(m): 2:55pm On Oct 06, 2017
Who be this yeye goal?

1 Like

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by eddieguru(m): 2:56pm On Oct 06, 2017
Hmm
Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by davodyguy: 2:56pm On Oct 06, 2017
The man spoke the truth

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by karzyharsky(m): 2:57pm On Oct 06, 2017
KANU KANU KANU

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by nairavsdollars(f): 2:57pm On Oct 06, 2017
From lawyer to FORMER lawyer...OBJ's boxers fall on you
Re: Vincent Egechukwu Obetta: Nnamdi Kanu Played Into Nigerian Government's Hands by Nobody: 2:58pm On Oct 06, 2017
I have nothing to say about this Biafra struggle.

In other news.
Dear ladies,
If you are sweeping your boyfriend room please don't sweep any
white paper randomly, please check it well if u see
anything like:-
Barcelona vs Real Madrid:- over 1.5
Chelsea vs Tottenham:-
Liverpool vs Arsenal :- first half handicap
Hmmmm just drop it before you sweep away your bride price.
A word is enough for the wise.

10 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

IGP Idris: Tinubu, 8 Others To Attend Saraki’s Meeting With Buhari / Insecurity: Nigerians Know We Have Done Our Best – Buhari / Judge Adedayo Akintoye Buys Property In Dubai’s Burj Khalifa - Peoples Gazette

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.