Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:38 PM

The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant - Travel (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant (275405 Views)

Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. / Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse / The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 3:41pm On Dec 21, 2017
Falzdbadtguy:

I lost mine too, with 350 pounds in it. just like you, BRP, visa debit & credit and my xperia fone. because i wore my rack and suit jumper out with a shallow pocket.
I went shopping at tesco for like 1 hr, and went to self pay. Only to bring out wallet to pay and i realised it was gone and my phone! i had my lebara fone which i use to call nigeria, but no credit, so i ran home, used my wifi to whatsapp my xperia fone and a jamo girl had picked it on the bus on the upper decker where i sat. So i called a taxi and luckily i was able to get it all back. I later invited the girl out for coffee. Very happy ending!

I don't wear track suits out again
No lie, wetin you do the girl? Oya confess grin

5 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 3:45pm On Dec 21, 2017
UKmigrant:
A little about my last UK trip a few months ago. It was my first time in the UK. I needed to go sort out my runs. I was to stay for a total of 6 weeks. To save cost of accommodation, I contacted my cousin in France who has a friend in the city I wanted to stay in the UK and he linked us up. We started chatting several weeks prior to my trip and I even called him a few times. He said there's no issue at all accommodating me. He even promised to pick me up at the airport. Told me how he is really close to my cousin and I have nothing to worry about.

He even asked me to send my flight itinerary which I did. We finally spoke before i departed Nigeria and he said he'd be waiting for me at the airport as I land.

When we landed, I started trying his numbers all to no avail! Called him on whatsapp but he didn't pick up. Sent him several messages on whatsapp and skype, they were delivering but he wasn't reading them. Later the messages also stopped delivering. I decided to chill a little for him thinking he probably had some delays getting to the airport, I no no say I don jonze!

After 4 hours I was still at the airport with no calls from him or reply to any of my messages, I called my cousin in France who also tried to contact him but also couldn't. I then knew that I was on my own. I booked airbnb and took a black cab to the place.

He never called me back throughout my stay in the UK. I tried to message him once, it was delivered but he didn't reply, even up till now. I wonder what was going on in his mind for setting me up to be stranded like that. Thank Jah I was fully prepped for my trip financially and all, so, I just had to spend the money I was trying to manage.

On speaking with some Londoners about it, I learnt that it is a common behavior amongst Nigerians in London. I say na waa o! Brothers behaving like savages to their fellow countrymen. Unless they see clearly that they have something to benefit from you, they avoid you like a plague. The rest na story for another day sha.

In my experience, for your dignity, even if you are staying with your father's sister, best to get a place of your own. There's nothing like free. I had the opportunity of staying in Brixton for free in a very small room, and an uncomfortable bed, a far contrast from my comfort in Lagos. However, my host started billing me for electricity, and i eventually had to give her like 250 pounds every month, but she also used to send me on random errands like going to buy okro or cutting okro and ask me to borrow her money, eventhough she was not working and i didnt know her source of sustenance.

So, i thanked her for her hospitality and decided to make my own way.

5 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 3:46pm On Dec 21, 2017
Daviddj:

Driving License in UK is straight forward. You need to pass a theory test which is a multiple based test and Practical Test- which is driving on the road for about 1hr. Everyone had their own challenges in passing the Practical Test. You should be fine.

I am only concerned that you need to settle down first, get your own house (No one is going to keep you in their house for too long) and start adding value at work.

If you don’t perform in a job that sponsored your visa, it can never be renewed. So the Car stuff will place huge pressure on your finances.

A cheap and manageable OLD car will cost you at least £2000. Insurance (£140 monthly as a new driver), Mot, Road tax (£240 yearly).

Just settle down first and others stuff can be sorted out.

Anyways, I like your determination and resilience to move here. I have lived here for 11yrs and started out as a student and working now as an Assistant Vice President in a global bank. It ain’t gonna be rosy but just be resilient and you will survive.

I think it is risky to drive with ionternational here. The driving test might be difficult and expensive, but you'll learn to be safe, which will be cheaper on the long run, when you are accident free
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 3:48pm On Dec 21, 2017
humilitypays:
United states is the best country anyone can ever think of traveling to.

After USA, comes Australia, Canada, Japan and others.

UK is a waste of time...at the long run you will discover that you wasted your whole years living in UK.

If you doubt me, check how many relatives or neighbors or people you know that lived in UK that have good investment back home or doing exceedingly well, they are very few and rare but you can count thousands if not millions of Nigerians living in US and doing so well.

Nigerians avoid traveling to UK to live, that country is a wasted land only good for education and maybe holiday visit.

UK will become hell for migrants in few decades to come because their over bloated economy will crash further. Why Because UK has become irrelevant in the comity of nations when it comes to industrial, IT, etc service delivery. UK isn't producing anything highly sort after by the whole world....so soon they won't have what to export and no more colonialism to use to milk other nations and commonwealth will crash on their wicked head!

BREXIT will after them more in the coming years; UK economy will crash and good jobs will become rare and pay will drop while tax will increase.

UK, the most useless country that destroyed Africa angry

Abeg, make we first recover from escaping Nigeria first...let's not forget the reason we came here

7 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 3:52pm On Dec 21, 2017
babaskool:

See grace, OP I tap into your blessing ooo,I remember that me despite the fact that I done college in the UK,(got 3 A's ) went to university to study law (graduated with a 2:1) looked for a job for around 6 months to no avail. I had to be on job seekers throughout, even cleaning jobs I was been rejected talkless of corporate jobs all in the UK.

yet you dey Naija, an English company just offered you an employment like and begin to treat you like a king, see how you even excited about your job and being in England for the first time, which part of East London do I not know the bus route to since I had been living there for the last 7 years or so.

GOD pls help me like you helped this OP.
may be you should try nursing. There's a huge demand for nurses too

1 Like

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 3:55pm On Dec 21, 2017
babaskool:

See grace, OP I tap into your blessing ooo,I remember that me despite the fact that I done college in the UK,(got 3 A's ) went to university to study law (graduated with a 2:1) looked for a job for around 6 months to no avail. I had to be on job seekers throughout, even cleaning jobs I was been rejected talkless of corporate jobs all in the UK.

yet you dey Naija, an English company just offered you an employment like and begin to treat you like a king, see how you even excited about your job and being in England for the first time, which part of East London do I not know the bus route to since I had been living there for the last 7 years or so.

GOD pls help me like you helped this OP.

Internships might help get your chances high.

1 Like

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 3:57pm On Dec 21, 2017
UKmigrant:
No lie, wetin you do the girl? Oya confess grin

i bought her coffee....i dunno how to talk with this oyinbos jare.
I dey always dey shy like mumu
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 3:57pm On Dec 21, 2017
UKmigrant:
A little about my last UK trip a few months ago. It was my first time in the UK. I needed to go sort out my runs. I was to stay for a total of 6 weeks. To save cost of accommodation, I contacted my cousin in France who has a friend in the city I wanted to stay in the UK and he linked us up. We started chatting several weeks prior to my trip and I even called him a few times. He said there's no issue at all accommodating me. He even promised to pick me up at the airport. Told me how he is really close to my cousin and I have nothing to worry about.

He even asked me to send my flight itinerary which I did. We finally spoke before i departed Nigeria and he said he'd be waiting for me at the airport as I land.

When we landed, I started trying his numbers all to no avail! Called him on whatsapp but he didn't pick up. Sent him several messages on whatsapp and skype, they were delivering but he wasn't reading them. Later the messages also stopped delivering. I decided to chill a little for him thinking he probably had some delays getting to the airport, I no no say I don jonze!

After 4 hours I was still at the airport with no calls from him or reply to any of my messages, I called my cousin in France who also tried to contact him but also couldn't. I then knew that I was on my own. I booked airbnb and took a black cab to the place.

He never called me back throughout my stay in the UK. I tried to message him once, it was delivered but he didn't reply, even up till now. I wonder what was going on in his mind for setting me up to be stranded like that. Thank Jah I was fully prepped for my trip financially and all, so, I just had to spend the money I was trying to manage.

On speaking with some Londoners about it, I learnt that it is a common behavior amongst Nigerians in London. I say na waa o! Brothers behaving like savages to their fellow countrymen. Unless they see clearly that they have something to benefit from you, they avoid you like a plague. The rest na story for another day sha.
had almost same experience when I relocated too...just that in my case, the guy to pick me actually did and was nice but subtly couldn't wait for me to continue my trip...lol, but hhin try and still calls tilll date from time to timee to give moral support and all...following your stories jareh
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by sharpboyus(m): 4:01pm On Dec 21, 2017
Falzdbadtguy:

I lost mine too, with 350 pounds in it. just like you, BRP, visa debit & credit and my xperia fone. because i wore my rack and suit jumper out with a shallow pocket.
I went shopping at tesco for like 1 hr, and went to self pay. Only to bring out wallet to pay and i realised it was gone and my phone! i had my lebara fone which i use to call nigeria, but no credit, so i ran home, used my wifi to whatsapp my xperia fone and a jamo girl had picked it on the bus on the upper decker where i sat. So i called a taxi and luckily i was able to get it all back. I later invited the girl out for coffee. Very happy ending!

I don't wear track suits out again

Very happy ending. Hope it is not what I am thinking
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 4:04pm On Dec 21, 2017
sharpboyus:

Very happy ending. Hope it is not what I am thinking

No i did not sleep with her.

I want a proper relationship here, not chop and go things

4 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 4:05pm On Dec 21, 2017
Rolly83:

@op,i am kinda wondering why you had to expose your relocation plans to almost everyone in your office!!! That's not very wise.This is supposed to be something personal between u and maybe your family undecided
u read my mind...
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 4:06pm On Dec 21, 2017
comradespade:
Thank God!!!

First UK adventure. I'm tired of the US own grin

Ohhh. The Canada own was also interesting grin
wait till you hear mine...lol
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by sharpboyus(m): 4:06pm On Dec 21, 2017
Just take your time and look for the serious ones. I'm sure you will find the right person. Where do you live in UK?
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Inkredible(m): 4:08pm On Dec 21, 2017
Falzdbadtguy:

i bought her coffee....i dunno how to talk with this oyinbos jare.
I dey always dey shy like mumu

How long does Tier2 visa takes to come out?
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by EhiGid(m): 4:11pm On Dec 21, 2017
Oga, please come and update
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Adefemiaderoju1: 4:11pm On Dec 21, 2017
Bullet1234:

I don't think you are allowed to. I think it's just one year of your arrival to the country. Not 100% sure but I can find out for u if u want.
Yea it would be great if you could do findings
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by biacan(f): 4:13pm On Dec 21, 2017
UKmigrant:
Bags packed...

Contents :

Bag 1: Garri, elubo, poundo yam, egusi, ogbono, beans, groundnut, dry fish, grounded pepper, grounded crayfish, indomie etc
Bag 2: Clothes, shoes and stuffs like that
Bag 3: Gadgets, perfumes, creams etc
I just feel like crying see the stress you're going through just to have a better life may the creator bless you

3 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by bunmifx(m): 4:16pm On Dec 21, 2017
How can i apply for this kind of program?
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 4:22pm On Dec 21, 2017
biacan:
I just feel like crying see the stress you're going through just to have a better life may the creator bless you
My sister, its what a man gotta do! God bless you too for your kindness!

1 Like

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by tojahh(m): 4:23pm On Dec 21, 2017
Honestly this story thrilled me... I am planning on relocating too but na Ghana sha. This your grit and shrewdness is what i need to propelled me.

Sold almost everything.. Just waiting for January the 15th as departure date. Almost everything checked. I hope to tell success story here too.

Following bumber to cover. Anybody with Ghana experience please reach out to me.

7 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 4:30pm On Dec 21, 2017
tojahh:
Honestly this story thrilled me... I am planning on relocating too but na Ghana sha. This your grit and shrewdness is what i need to propelled me.

Sold almost everything.. Just waiting for January the 15th as departure date. Almost everything checked. I hope to tell success story here too.

Following bumber to cover. Anybody with Ghana experience please reach out to me.
lol
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 4:31pm On Dec 21, 2017
Inkredible:

How long does Tier2 visa takes to come out?
lol, like 6 weeks i thin

1 Like

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by biacan(f): 4:31pm On Dec 21, 2017
UKmigrant:
My sister, its called the hustle! God bless you too for your kindness!
You're welcome
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 4:32pm On Dec 21, 2017
UKmigrant:
Bags packed...

Contents :

Bag 1: Garri, elubo, poundo yam, egusi, ogbono, beans, groundnut, dry fish, grounded pepper, grounded crayfish, indomie etc
Bag 2: Clothes, shoes and stuffs like that
Bag 3: Gadgets, perfumes, creams etc

if u like 9ja food so much, you can stock up from African shops
I even saw Indomie in the Tesco in Reading, the other day
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by jupexonline: 4:34pm On Dec 21, 2017
john650:

Why would you save your own money and try to milk another guy? You had enough resources for accommodation but still wanted to live off someone else. I no blame the guy.

Na wa o what's milking about that? if the guy knew he was not interested he should have just said so not acting all shady and keeping him hanging.

3 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by adaxxy: 4:35pm On Dec 21, 2017
[quote author=Falzdbadtguy post=63488286]

In my experience, for your dignity, even if you are staying with your father's sister, best to get a place of your own. There's nothing like free. I had the opportunity of staying in Brixton for free in a very small room, and an uncomfortable bed, a far contrast from my comfort in Lagos. However, my host started billing me for electricity, and i eventually had to give her like 250 pounds every month, but she also used to send me on random errands like going to buy okro or cutting okro and ask me to borrow her money, eventhough she was not working and i didnt know her source of sustenance.

So, i thanked her for her hospitality and decided to make my own way. [/] You are so on point

1 Like

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by BlueScholar(m): 4:48pm On Dec 21, 2017
interesting read. thanks for sharing
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by edrys(m): 4:57pm On Dec 21, 2017
corpershun:

I on the other hand live in Nigeria and I have needs for credit but cannot get because interest rate is high and not affordable. Please there is no how you can compare the UK in terms of standard of living, welfare and life expectancy to Nigeria. My tailor took loan from a microfinance bank 100,000 naira to repay 150,000 for 6 months. If the monthly repayment money is short of 700 naira, the way those people would come to disgrace you in the shop, you won't wish for your enemy to collect loan.

I hope you are aware the current life expectancy of an average Nigerian is 54 years predicted to 44 years if the country's economic condition continues like this.

My dear the truth is, it is only the wealthy/very rich that enjoy this country, the poor and middle class are left suffering. The road to my street is very bad, my light is rationalised, IKEDC has refused to give me the pay as you use meter due to corruption yet give me exorbitant bill, the waste company doesn't come pick up thrash because of the road, I spend so much on fuel daily, I can't cook so much and freeze as there is no light. Now if all these basic amenities cannot be met, tell me what I am enjoying in the country as a citizen even though I pay my tax both directly and indirectly. I bought pizza for 2400 and the tax deducted was 350; Just Imagine!

OP wonderful thread, I have learnt a lot. You are very fortunate.

100 likes for this

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by dingdung: 4:58pm On Dec 21, 2017
Nice one OP,I can't believe I read to the last thread
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 4:59pm On Dec 21, 2017
UKmigrant:
My people, na work hold me down. Oyinbo work no be small, no time for doing "smee smee", you must be fully focused while there. I close for the day and all I can think about is food and sleep... grin
am telling you...that's when you start appreciating food and sleep you"ve always been taking for granted...lol
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 5:00pm On Dec 21, 2017
Pidgin2:

Tory don dey change small small grin
lol...it'd still be worth it anytime any day over living in mundane naija...lol

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (72) (Reply)

Uk Visa - Visa Appeal Process / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 9 / Bus Fare Within Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.