Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,211 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:25 AM

The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant - Travel (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant (274907 Views)

Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. / Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse / The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 12:53pm On Dec 21, 2017
UKmigrant:
It is accepted sir, you can drive for a year with Nigerian international licence.
H
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by eddyline(m): 12:54pm On Dec 21, 2017
UKmigrant:
Thank God got to London in one piece. The poundo yam in my hand luggage was siezed at Istanbul Airport by one silly lady like that and she trashed it right in my presence shouting "forbidden". I wish I fit knock am for head. Thing pain me no be small!
forbidden? why? abi d thing resemble coke for her eye?
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Orpe7(m): 12:59pm On Dec 21, 2017
UKmigrant:
Where is your location sis, if your nice and close by, who knows maybe I'll let them go, lol!

I live in Ikeja. If ure close lets hook up. Make i buy some things too
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Adefemiaderoju1: 1:00pm On Dec 21, 2017
wowo2:

I concur, after 1 year would one get another international DRiving License?

One will always need a full DL so best to do the theory test, schedule driving lessons and do the practical exam as soon as one can make out time..that way one won’t make silly or costly mistakes when driving.
Yes exactly what I mean by starting all over again is simply the best and it would reduce the cost of your insurance
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 1:00pm On Dec 21, 2017
Orpe7:

I live in Ikeja. If ure close lets hook up. Make i buy some things too
Too late oga/madam I don relocate already grin

4 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by babaskool(m): 1:09pm On Dec 21, 2017
UKmigrant:
So I am finally begining to settle into my new job. I have had my orientation, IT training, gotten a smartcard to access the organisation's records relevant to my work and have also gotten my ID card which doubles as a security door pass. I am in the part of England known as East Anglia, it is a beautiful place, layed back and free of the congestion and razzmatazz of London. I deliberately chose this place for many reasons, some being what the organisation is offering me and the low cost of living in this region. If I don't like it after a while, I might decide to move to get a position in a bigger city, but for now I am loving every bit of it.

Everyone around here seems nice and ready to help. This region of England is dominated by whites/natives unlike big cities like London, Birmingham, Manchester. I have managed to meet a few Nigerians though and other African nationals.

I am staying at a temporary accommodation arranged by my employer and I've already started meeting agents to get a small place for myself close to my work. They all require some form of deposits and references. Working on that...
See grace, OP I tap into your blessing ooo,I remember that me despite the fact that I done college in the UK,(got 3 A's ) went to university to study law (graduated with a 2:1) looked for a job for around 6 months to no avail. I had to be on job seekers throughout, even cleaning jobs I was been rejected talkless of corporate jobs all in the UK.

yet you dey Naija, an English company just offered you an employment like and begin to treat you like a king, see how you even excited about your job and being in England for the first time, which part of East London do I not know the bus route to since I had been living there for the last 7 years or so.

GOD pls help me like you helped this OP.

26 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by murphymakun(m): 1:10pm On Dec 21, 2017
Is common here in uk,they can only talk to you on phone when it comes to helping you out,they will stop answering your calls.Talking from experience .

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 1:13pm On Dec 21, 2017
Nigeria is the best country to live except for the shitty educational system & insecurity.

But sha I shall live for my father's land I no go migrate any where, ofcourse I will go for vacation & stuff

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by murphymakun(m): 1:22pm On Dec 21, 2017
UKmigrant:
I did some essential shopping today, went to Primark oxford street, London. Things are really cheap here!
but less quality and mostly china products
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by telvinfantasy: 1:24pm On Dec 21, 2017
ladylco:

One profitable one i can advise you as a worker in a financial institute here in Nigeria, since its investment by proxy is to find a good bank that gives good interest on fixed deposit and you invest in FDs. Place your funds in the ones that are not tax deductible and all you need to do is to go and sleep while your capital grow on a rollover basis.

One of my brothers practically lives on FD. I manage his account, he started with certain amount few years ago but as at now his investment is closed to N100m all this he generated on interest at rollover. What i did was constant monitoring of his FD, as soon as I noticed that interest for certain amount for a particular tenor has been increased, sharply i made him do a termination request and add some money to the existing one then rebook at the new interest rate. Today he gets close to N2m as interest alone monthly from his FD. His money is working for him without any stress or running after debtor or clients/customers no dey or no gree pay, govt policies, or dollar don high/don drop etc. The only risk is if the bank is on the run but off course that cannot happen again for nig as CBN has put a strong regulatory buffer for that aspect.

FD is sweet when the capital is huge. If you are interested, you can place your funds in FD with my bank, we give the best rate in the market, ours is the most competitive currently on the banking sector.
Please can you shed more light on this FD of a thing? Please God bless you.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by acorntree(m): 1:37pm On Dec 21, 2017
telvinfantasy:

Please can you shed more light on this FD of a thing? Please God bless you.
Fixed deposit na trash, only Treasury bill dey pay now

5 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Explorers(m): 1:42pm On Dec 21, 2017
UKmigrant:
Hi everyone. On this thread I am going to make a diary of my emigration to the UK as well as my daily experiences and adventures and any challenges I encounter along the way. I am a young Nigerian professional who just got hired by a UK organisation on a Tier 2 (general migrant) visa. I intend to spend a sizeable part of my life in the UK. I believe if everything goes well, I'll become a permanent resident (with ILR) in 5 to 6 years and can apply for citizenship a year after that.

My application was approved on the 27th of September, 2017, which means I have to be in the UK latest by 27th October, 2017. The entry clearance is valid for 30 days within which I need to have arrived in the UK and pick up the biometric resident permit (BRP) at the designated address given in my application.

So I welcome you to sit back, relax and watch it all unfold.

Congratulations op, i wish u all u dream and desire.

Happy 4 u.

9 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 2:19pm On Dec 21, 2017
Nice thread
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by apolonius(m): 2:30pm On Dec 21, 2017
Daviddj:

Driving License in UK is straight forward. You need to pass a theory test which is a multiple based test and Practical Test- which is driving on the road for about 1hr. Everyone had their own challenges in passing the Practical Test. You should be fine.

I am only concerned that you need to settle down first, get your own house (No one is going to keep you in their house for too long) and start adding value at work.

If you don’t perform in a job that sponsored your visa, it can never be renewed. So the Car stuff will place huge pressure on your finances.

A cheap and manageable OLD car will cost you at least £2000. Insurance (£140 monthly as a new driver), Mot, Road tax (£240 yearly).

Just settle down first and others stuff can be sorted out.

Anyways, I like your determination and resilience to move here. I have lived here for 11yrs and started out as a student and working now as an Assistant Vice President in a global bank. It ain’t gonna be rosy but just be resilient and you will survive.

I remember when you applied for student visa back then. Please share your experience and insights from your journey as a student to joining the leadership team of the bank. I am sure many of us will be inspired and empowered for our pursuits.

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by claremont(m): 2:44pm On Dec 21, 2017
claremont:
Stocks, shares, real estate investments yield excellent returns in the UK as well, and in my own honest opinion and experience, the returns are much better than that obtainable in Nigeria. The only challenge is choosing the right investment for your risk threshold, but getting the initial capital isn't really a problem as most hardworking Nigerian immigrants have savings anyway.

I will recommend 'Petrofac' shares if anyone is looking for where to park £30,000-£50,000. It's currently one of the most volatile shares in the market ever since the SFO commenced investigation on its dealings, but the volatility is an opportunity to make quick weekly/monthly returns. This share was 410p just a week ago, it currently sits at 440p. Anyone who traded this with £50,000 last week will be looking at a few grand pure cash profit to play around with within 7 days. If you have a medium term view and can wait, this share will be 700p in the next 2-3 years. Personally, I have been invested in them for a while, and I traded them many times previously. It's a volatile share that has been oscillating between 390p-480p for months. There are several shares like this, it's just a matter of doing your research and conducting due diligence on them. Caveat Emptor! grin

On the issue of real estate investment, there are many desolate low-cost properties in the North of England that can be bought cheaply, improved upon and given out for rental income. The rental income will offset the mortgage and also give you a decent income. If you are business savvy, the rental income will offset not only the mortgage of the properties given out for rent, but also your own property you live in. You can buy these properties with cash if you have savings or get a great mortgage deal from the banks. This is why I spoke earlier about the importance of maintaining a healthy credit rating, Landlord mortgages are not given to every John Doe.

I can't speak for investments in London and the south as I don't live there, maybe people who live in London can recommend low-risk investments Nigerian immigrants can indulge in.

What we all agree on though is that we are in the UK to make money, live a better life and provide the best opportunities for our future kids. We are not in the UK to admire 'Mama Charlie' face, and if you don't know who 'Mama Charlie' is, go and ask Prince Charles the name his mum said Nigerian-Briticos should call her! grin

It seems this thread has been returned to where it should be.�

On a serious note, anyone who took my advice weeks ago and invested in 'Petrofac' will be laughing to the bank now. It was at 440p when I made the recommendation on this thread, I just sold my stake today and pocketed just over £2500 pure cash profit, because it's currently trading at 483p. If anyone is interested in it in the future, wait till it falls below 440p before you buy in. I will also be waiting in the wings to buy back in when the price drops which it will in a few weeks. Good luck.

3 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 2:47pm On Dec 21, 2017
claremont:

It seems this thread has been returned to where it should be.�

On a serious note, anyone who took my advice weeks ago and invested in 'Petrofac' will be laughing to the bank now. It was at 440p when I made the recommendation on this thread, I just sold my stake today and pocketed just over £2500 pure cash profit, because it's currently trading at 483p. If anyone is interested in it in the future, wait till it falls below 440p before you buy in. I will also be waiting in the wings to buy back in when the price drops which it will in a few weeks. Good luck.
Tell me more about it bro
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by okwutency(m): 2:54pm On Dec 21, 2017
ladylco:

One profitable one i can advise you as a worker in a financial institute here in Nigeria, since its investment by proxy is to find a good bank that gives good interest on fixed deposit and you invest in FDs. Place your funds in the ones that are not tax deductible and all you need to do is to go and sleep while your capital grow on a rollover basis.

One of my brothers practically lives on FD. I manage his account, he started with certain amount few years ago but as at now his investment is closed to N100m all this he generated on interest at rollover. What i did was constant monitoring of his FD, as soon as I noticed that interest for certain amount for a particular tenor has been increased, sharply i made him do a termination request and add some money to the existing one then rebook at the new interest rate. Today he gets close to N2m as interest alone monthly from his FD. His money is working for him without any stress or running after debtor or clients/customers no dey or no gree pay, govt policies, or dollar don high/don drop etc. The only risk is if the bank is on the run but off course that cannot happen again for nig as CBN has put a strong regulatory buffer for that aspect.

FD is sweet when the capital is huge. If you are interested, you can place your funds in FD with my bank, we give the best rate in the market, ours is the most competitive currently on the banking sector.

Please which bank is that?
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Aieboocaar(m): 3:03pm On Dec 21, 2017
UKmigrant:
Indomie still quenching my hungerwww.nairaland.com/attachments/6221477_201711071339111080x1080_jpeg6952ceb3471c597e13a127e828467ec4

Na wa o!!!!... This your indomie finish university o!! cheesy

4 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 3:08pm On Dec 21, 2017
UKmigrant:
You're very correct bro. The most painful thing was the wierd gazes I got from the people around grin I was so embarrassed!

When i first got here too, it took a while to get used to the roads. Then i started looking both ways, but after sometime, ur brain gets used to it.

I recently took my first driving test and failed as well. But i don't really need a car now anyway. Op are you married or single...Another issue here imo

1 Like

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 3:09pm On Dec 21, 2017
UKmigrant:
These guys right here surely don't joke with their bicycles.

I used to have one in Naija b4 they stole it, anytime I ride out or down the street to get something, people start asking me

"wetin happen to your car na?"

"You don pass all these small pikin something na" grin

Little did they know I was just burning calories ahead for night beer and pepper soup!

I miss nkwobi, origin, mammi wey we dey always go sad
How we dey spank those sales girls for bombom grin

When pepper rest small I go play go London 2 have some naija feel!
Go to Amsterdam and you'll see the probable bicycle capital in Europe, So many bicycles!!!
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 3:15pm On Dec 21, 2017
Toppytek:
who cares if the thread is moved to Zimbabwe.. I dey follow
lol, Moderators act as if banning people or whatever is the end of the world, some of us were here before you even knew what nairaland is. That's how i was banned for god knows how many years, after being an active user for 10yrs. I just deactivated, cos, whats the point, i only want to experience the medium, it doesn't earn me any salary or privilege, rather, my presence earns nairaland money and privilege and you don't even recognize that!!!

16 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 3:17pm On Dec 21, 2017
claremont:

I was in London last week for 2 nights on training. I had a strong craving for jollof rice and goat meat, but unfortunately, the nearest African restaurant to my hotel was a Ghanaian restaurant. So, I decided to try out the Ghanaian version of jollof rice as I had no choice.

It was the worst jollof rice and goat meat I have ever tasted, completely tasteless, soaked in palm oil and the smell was horrendous. I pity the hotel cleaners who had to deal with the smell in the room afterwards. The attached picture doesn't do justice to the overpriced rubbish they call Ghanaian jollof rice and goat meat, I wouldn't feed it to my dog if I had one.

I have made a mental note to avoid Ghanaian restaurants in London from now on.

Lol, i remember trying Jerk chicken in Manchester last year...same shoddy experience, but also, Nigerian meals here are not necesaarily as good as back home either. You can google Nigerian recipes on youtube and do yourself a favor during your spare time. Also, some of the meals here are not bad either. Try getting used to them to
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 3:21pm On Dec 21, 2017
UKmigrant:
I have bought from vending machine maybe once since I got here. I don't even have much money to throw around so embarassed

My goal is to save minimum of £2000 monthly and nothing on earth can stop that!
bad guy
Aren't you paying rent or sending money back to your family. I aim for 1k. Sometimes i'm able, sometimes not
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 3:26pm On Dec 21, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Mr lionlee216, you don get girlfriend for here .......I am suspecting you oo . This one that you are asking all these Jamb questions grin

n UK airports, is there anything like secondary inspection? ...... I dont know but it very possible , in any country anybody can be pulled out but generally most people sail in with no issues if your document is right

I have heard people(illegals) hiding because of police. In UK, do police have the power to ask about an immigration status of someone? ..yes na , for sure you can be asked , i have heard of police checking in train stations but not common . If you get a job you will be asked to show your immigration status, if you want to rent a property you be asked as well . The system is putting things in place to make it harder for illegals .

Is UK also "land of opportunities" like US? ....Well yes and No . It very subjective . I have seen a good no of Nigerians doing very well here and many not doing well . it all depends .

Is it the same as UK. Illegal marries UK citizen and sins are forgiven? .... i dont know because i never checked . This a good question but i am not sure of what the process is and UK changes laws all the time that relates to immigration . Since i been here marriage visa went from 2 to 5yrs, Income requirement was put for marriage visa, Overstayer to be made legal changed from 14 to 20 years and children 7 to 10 ....... as in kilode . It hard to keep up with the immigration laws. They wake up and change it so much . However all info will be on the home office site

The UK was much easier to get Citizenship before using 5 years route for a lot of working visa , tiers, nanny visa and hsmp . 5 years and you get ILR and 1 year later citizenship so this was a great advantage over the US (where you can be on H1B for years and nothing in the end or h1B plus another 5 years before passport) . Sadly this has changed significantly as they made ILR harder and canceled hsmp, PSW and just made the system much harder .

Are wages paid weekly, bi weekly or monthly.?..... Biweekly no is not the norm like in the US, monthly or weekly more like it ........I dont think this matters at all , the more important thing is money coming in, however the frequency you just get used to it and plan based on how it comes

Despite all these money is hard to find in UK and high taxes, what are the things you like about UK....more expensive . Houses and roads are smaller here , luxury/ designer goods are more expensive here , less disposable income which is the main thing but i feel more at home here . Cant explain it i love it here, I am a city girl cool , love life in London so it is subjective. my brother moved from UK to Canada and when he visits, he hates UK that Uk is more sufferhead. Show you what one person likes another person hates ....

but Yes UK people make it but to be honest , to live very well especially in london you have to earn well ......... . . . The key is to open your eyes and tap into key industry where people are paid higher and improve on ones skills . Especially when someone no longer has work restriction visa

oya my talk talk too much .....I have unfollowed the thread .

How does an overstayer marrying wipe away her sins??
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 3:26pm On Dec 21, 2017
lionlee216:
I dont like UK grin BUT let me enjoy pictures.

Why are people from UK are "generally said" to be stingy?

Thank God your thread is in General section. I can comment. Some people think they are just wise but Just foolish.

That £2000 savings per month is a big money oo.

No wonder Lagosismyhome is full of money lol.

I have never touched £ before. Who will be nice to give me £ as tithe to sow seed into my life cheesy

I think people are stingy because of the savings targets they give themselves

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by condomuser: 3:26pm On Dec 21, 2017
UK is not as rosy as you may think. It is a really depressing country even though your payslips make you smile with one cheek, Op very soon you will understand that all those English people smiling with you are not your friends. Just one slight wrong move, you become a nobody.

Saving £2000 a month and looking like Buhari is something you might want to givr a second thought.

There is serious stigmatisation across work places in the UK(It is an English thing), every foreigner is susceptible this and you have to apply your sixth sense to notice it.

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by RaptorX: 3:27pm On Dec 21, 2017
UKmigrant:
If you want to set up a business and make huge returns in the shortest possible time, naija is the best place for you. You start your business with no stress. Naija is also the place where you can get very rich easily if you know what to do.

But if you care so much about orderliness and functionality, healthcare, quality education, security, etc maybe consider living abroad.

Me I want to have what both worlds offer, once I set myself up well here na to start to dey invest for naija o. No dulling at all!
I would not live in the UK for a million dollar, good luck to anyone thinking of migrating to UK. Your so called friend and family that promised to accomodate you will give you the shocker of your life, never meet a Nigerian living in the UK that has money, they are the biggest miser in the world.

5 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 3:32pm On Dec 21, 2017
UKmigrant:
I am still waiting to experience that... British people are very pretentious and superficially nice though, but don't trust them.

I think most British are generally conscious of so many foreigners coming to their country and the change in culture. They also feel things like rent are more expensive because of foreigners.... If u watch this comedy...Hott fuzz, you'll get the caricature example. But they are very fair and more tolerant i think, than the average racist American. But they also feel superior, it's in their DNA. It's the way the average Nigerian feels inferior when he marvels at the exploits of the white man. Its just our brain-training i guess
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Bullet1234(m): 3:34pm On Dec 21, 2017
Adefemiaderoju1:

Yes exactly what I mean by starting all over again is simply the best and it would reduce the cost of your insurance
I don't think you are allowed to. I think it's just one year of your arrival to the country. Not 100% sure but I can find out for u if u want.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by salford1: 3:35pm On Dec 21, 2017
Falzdbadtguy:

Lol, i remember trying Jerk chicken in Manchester last year...same shoddy experience, but also, Nigerian meals here are not necesaarily as good as back home either. You can google Nigerian recipes on youtube and do yourself a favor during your spare time. Also, some of the meals here are not bad either. Try getting used to them to
Jamaican Jerk chicken is super delicious. I don't know why you had a shoddy experience as you call it. Infact i have a jamaican friend that would specially import the wood for the barbecue from Jamaica.lol
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 3:36pm On Dec 21, 2017
UKmigrant:
I lost my wallet last week while on a bus. It contained my residence permit card, bank cards, bus tickets and about £80.

I went to check today at the bus station if they found it and lo and behold they did. I picked it up, opened it and everything was intact.

Everything complete. I was wowed!

I lost mine too, with 350 pounds in it. just like you, BRP, visa debit & credit and my xperia fone. because i wore my rack and suit jumper out with a shallow pocket.
I went shopping at tesco for like 1 hr, and went to self pay. Only to bring out wallet to pay and i realised it was gone and my phone! i had my lebara fone which i use to call nigeria, but no credit, so i ran home, used my wifi to whatsapp my xperia fone and a jamo girl had picked it on the bus on the upper decker where i sat. So i called a taxi and luckily i was able to get it all back. I later invited the girl out for coffee. Very happy ending!

I don't wear track suits out again

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (72) (Reply)

Uk Visa - Visa Appeal Process / Bus Fare Within Nigeria / Pictures Of Nigeria - Show Us Nigeria Through Your Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.