Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,077 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:38 AM

The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant - Travel (56) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant (275258 Views)

Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. / Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse / The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Myati: 6:30pm On Dec 30, 2017
Ralphlauren:

Again, I’m surprised you couldn’t get a mortgage on a tier 2 visa.

I think mortgages are becoming quite difficult to get now.
As a matter of fact, some banks will not offer you a mortgage if you're not a citizen. That's not to say that few banks are still not offering to those on tier 2 visa.

At least, I know barclays offered to a friend who was on tier 2 visa last year.

Things have changed in the UK over the years. Back in the day when my mum got her mortgage, they were practically begged to get it - no deposits was required, the amount you get was not dependent on your earnings and it was so damn flexible!
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Bossman(m): 7:58pm On Dec 30, 2017
Yes, absolutely. You have to be dedicated of course. What IT skills are you looking at software development/programming? IT itself is broad - programming, DB admin, Networking. Of course, programming is the hottest right now. If you are looking to get into that, it advice you choose one of the major programming languages (I'd suggest Java, since I have been doing it for donkey years, and have had a great career out of doing it) out there and learn programming thoroughly. In general, people that find mathematics/problem solving easy, tend to be successful programmers. Not saying one can't be a programmer if they do not like math, however it will not be easy. Should not be an issue for you, since you are a Medical Doctor. So you've done a lot of Math.

imconfused:
Is there anyway a medic can acquire IT skills?
Where can one start from as in olodo levels?
Abi this is it for me?
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by imconfused(f): 8:37pm On Dec 30, 2017
Bossman:
Yes, absolutely. You have to be dedicated of course. What IT skills are you looking at software development/programming? IT itself is broad - programming, DB admin, Networking. Of course, programming is the hottest right now. If you are looking to get into that, it advice you choose one of the major programming languages (I'd suggest Java, since I have been doing it for donkey years, and have had a great career out of doing it) out there and learn programming thoroughly. In general, people that find mathematics/problem solving easy, tend to be successful programmers. Not saying one can't be a programmer if they do not like math, however it will not be easy. Should not be an issue for you, since you are a Medical Doctor. S, you've done a lot of Math.

To be honest,me and maths are like chalk and cheese.
I just can't tolerate extra mathematics outside 1+1 and titration of meds..
I'll just watch and see what happens.
Thanks ...
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 8:48pm On Dec 30, 2017
Ralphlauren:

Hehehehheheheheeh. Shame dey catch me to comment initially.

I also took the test thrice and passed at my third attempt.

I’m sure I must have spent close to £1500 on lessons if not more.

I agree with you about writing down instructions. It was only when I did so and would ‘revise’ before the start of the lesson did my driving actually improve.

I only took 5 lessons, passed my test 1st time.............. Drove for over 7 years on the sly..... The good old days of producers (for those who know).....
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Ilekokonit: 9:28pm On Dec 30, 2017
Toppytek:
thanks so much.. really appreciate your advice.. well, in terms of relocation.. I prefer the US to the UK (not anytime soon thou, cos nobody knows what tomorrow holds). I'm just considering how paying and lucrative Auto mechanic is compared to IT job . cos I believe we are in IT world. .. Also I don't know how applicable the IT profession is to the Automotive industry.

so bothered.

America has a much bigger economy than the UK so I understand your preference.

IT pays far more than Auto Mechanic and you are not risking your back bone with heavy lifting and like you said IT is the present and the future so you wouldn't go wrong if you have a few "in demand" IT certifications under your belt before you left Naija.

Look at the link below to get a feel for some of the IT skills and IT jobs advertised in the UK. (you can change the country search to USA on the left of the page if you wish)
https://www.jobserve.com/gb/en/JobListing.aspx?shid=EB8DC0BEE49EBB1134
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Ishilove: 9:42pm On Dec 30, 2017
Ilekokonit:

IT pays far more than Auto Mechanic and you are not risking your back bone with heavy lifting and like you said IT is the present and the future so you wouldn't go wrong if you have a few "in demand" IT certifications under your belt before you left Naija.

Look at the link below to get a feel for some of the IT skills and IT jobs advertised in the UK. (you can change the country search to USA on the left of the page if you wish)
Surprise surprise. Where have you been? It's been ages and ages
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Chevronstaff: 9:55pm On Dec 30, 2017
Ilekokonit:

Between these two courses, which is more lucrative (i.e. pays higher and has a higher job security in a developed country) ;
1.MSC Finance and information management..
2.MSC Information System.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Ilekokonit: 9:56pm On Dec 30, 2017
Ishilove:

Surprise surprise. Where have you been? It's been ages and ages

I've been visiting but hadn't logged in for a long time.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Ilekokonit: 10:15pm On Dec 30, 2017
Chevronstaff:
Between these two courses, which is more lucrative (i.e. pays higher and has a higher job security in a developed country) ;

Apart from those in the medical field, there is no job security any where in the world anymore and this is a price all employees have to pay. What you can do to mitigate job insecurity is to find a skill that is in high demand (i'e where there is a shortage of people with that skill) and aim to MASTER that skill and pass the certification exams and then start applying for jobs.

Regarding an MSC in Finance and information management, for a start, anything Finance is always over subscribed which is why you will find a lot of unemployed Chartered Accountants all over the world and this is because any job where there are no barriers to entry becomes over subscribed sooner or later.

When it comes to the IT field, your MSC in Information Systems "may" be a waste of time and money when you can use a fraction of that money to do and MASTER an "in demand" IT certification and once you pass the certification exams you are halfway to securing a good paying IT job. There is too much theory in an IT MSC degree but if you knuckle down you can prepare and pass a "practical" hands on IT certification course in 3 months or less and start applying for jobs there after. But you will have to put in a LOT of hours studying and practicalizing in those 3 months if you want to pass the certification exams which averagely have a pass mark of 70%.

Some "in demand" IT skills you can do your research on include Big Data, Oracle Dba, Microsoft SQL Server, Hadoop, Mungo DB, Internet Security, Etc, Etc, Etc but search job boards online and pick a skill set you are comfortable with and then look into each one and see which of them will be a natural fit for you and that will use some of the transferable skills you already have.

BUT the IT field is so wide and is still growing daily and will continue to do so till eternity.

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by wonlasewonimi: 10:44pm On Dec 30, 2017
Ilekokonit:

Apart from those in the medical field, there is no job security any where in the world anymore and this is a price all employees have to pay. What you can do to mitigate job insecurity is to find a skill that is in high demand (i'e where there is a shortage of people with that skill) and aim to MASTER that skill and pass the certification exams and then start applying for jobs.

Regarding an MSC in Finance and information management, for a start, anything Finance is always over subscribed which is why you will find a lot of unemployed Chartered Accountants all over the world and this is because any job where there are no barriers to entry becomes over subscribed sooner or later.

When it comes to the IT field, your MSC in Information Systems "may" be a waste of time and money when you can use a fraction of that money to do and MASTER an "in demand" IT certification and once you pass the certification exams you are halfway to securing a good paying IT job. There is too much theory in an IT MSC degree but if you knuckle down you can prepare and pass a "practical" hands on IT certification course in 3 months or less and start applying for jobs there after. But you will have to put in a LOT of hours studying and practicalizing in those 3 months if you want to pass the certification exams which averagely have a pass mark of 70%.

Some "in demand" IT skills you can do your research on include Big Data, Oracle Dba, Microsoft SQL Server, Hadoop, Mungo DB, Internet Security, Etc, Etc, Etc but search job boards online and pick a skill set you are comfortable with and then look into each one and see which of them will be a natural fit for you and that will use some of the transferable skills you already have.

BUT the IT field is so wide and is still growing daily and will continue to do so till eternity.

Preach sister.

I still knock myself for wasting all those years writing silly acca exams.

Like you said IT is going places especially with the new technologies. You just have to pick an area and focus.
I read an article not too long about Internet of Things being deployed in new cars. What this means is there would be fewer accidents on the road cos if you are sleeping behind the steering, the car will alert you. If you are not maintaining your lane., you will get notified. Before you hit the car in front automatic brakes will be applied and so on. Don't get me started about cloud technology. Life is good!

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Ilekokonit: 10:48pm On Dec 30, 2017
MightyFortress:
Lord, please pick my call, Abeg

Nice prayer but remember that the grass is always greener from the other side and not all that glitters is gold.

A lot of people in Nigeria who are not politicians and were not silver spoon kids are doing way better than some people who are stranded abroad.

How did they do it Maybe they combined a healthy dose of self belief + networking + (faith or luck) + perspiration + persistence + never say never attitude + a determination NOT to leave Nigeria and still make it in Nigeria.

If you have it at the back of your mind that you will at some point leave Nigeria for greener pastures abroad then all your sub conscious "may" not be geared towards making it big in Nigeria.

The same Nigeria that people abroad are returning to in droves.

4 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Ilekokonit: 11:01pm On Dec 30, 2017
wonlasewonimi:
Preach sister.

Like you said IT is going places especially with the new technologies. You just have to pick an area and focus.

Don't get me started about cloud technology. Life is good!

I'm not a sister o. I am a grown man with beards.

Regarding ACCA, I feel like swearing for the whole ACCA Institute management in Glasgow for wasting my time on a qualification that in the UK -(its country of origin) - does not guarantee you a job.

The ACCA is only interested in making money from the "mass" of international students, affiliates and members in terms of exam and annual subscription fees so that their fat cat salaries and bullet proof pensions are secured.

Whenever I meet any one studying for the ACCA exams in the early stages of the exams, I always advice them not to waste their "lives" and instead switch to an IT certification course if den no want make hunger finish them.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by stealthtiger(m): 11:02pm On Dec 30, 2017
wonlasewonimi:

Preach sister.

I read an article not too long about Internet of Things being deployed in new cars. What this means is there would be fewer accidents on the road cos if you are sleeping behind the steering, the car will alert you. If you are not maintaining your lane., you will get notified. Before you hit the car in front automatic brakes will be applied and so on. Don't get me started about cloud technology. Life is good!
Hello.
I just started programming using Python, JavaScript.
How lucrative are these languages in the UK.

And also I want to get started in Cloud computing using AWS, Azure. How do I go about it?

You're an IT guy in UK which means you're exposed to lots of modern technologies. I'll be happy if you can be a mentor to me.

PS: I'm a student of Unilag living in Lagos, Nigeria.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by bigtt76(f): 11:24pm On Dec 30, 2017
I just saw this https://toptests.co.uk/mock-theory-test-1/...it might help

Lexusgs430:

I only took 5 lessons, passed my test 1st time.............. Drove for over 7 years on the sly..... The good old days of producers (for those who know).....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 11:27pm On Dec 30, 2017
bigtt76:
I just saw this https://toptests.co.uk/mock-theory-test-1/...it might help

I don pass nah.... If I retook my test now, nah instant failure.......
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by wonlasewonimi: 11:28pm On Dec 30, 2017
Ilekokonit:

Regarding ACCA, I feel like swearing for the whole ACCA Institute management in Glasgow for wasting my time on a qualification that in the UK [i](its country of origin) [/i]does not guarantee you a job.

The ACCA is only interested in making money from the "mass" of international students, affiliates and members in terms of exam and annual subscription fees so that their fat cat salaries and bullet proof pensions are secured.

Whenever I meet any one studying for the ACCA exams in the early stages of the exams, I always advice them not to waste their "lives" and instead switch to an IT certification course if den no want make hunger finish them.

I'm so sorry I just had this idea in my head you are a female.
Please don't get me started with those wanksters. Everyone wants to become a chartered accountant when their pay is an absolute Shyte and you will be the last to leave your office balancing the books.

What most people don't realise is if you have CISA, you don't really need acca cos IT audit has taken over.
They sent me a letter few weeks back saying they are sad to see me leave, I wanted to send them a reply that I'm very happy to go.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Yinkzy03: 11:29pm On Dec 30, 2017
Ilekokonit:

Regarding ACCA, I feel like swearing for the whole ACCA Institute management in Glasgow for wasting my time on a qualification that in the UK [i](its country of origin) [/i]does not guarantee you a job.

this is just hilarious, damnnnn

1 Like

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by wonlasewonimi: 11:37pm On Dec 30, 2017
stealthtiger:

Hello.

And also I want to get started in Cloud computing using AWS, Azure. How do I go about it?

You're an IT guy in UK which means you're exposed to lots of modern technologies. I'll be happy if you can be a mentor to me.

Bro. I'm currently learning AWS and one of my target for early next year and knowing python would set you up for life. Everything is about automation these days and python is best in that area especially within devops environment.

The secret to surviving in UK like I mentioned in some thread some weeks back is to do what a lot of oyinbos cannot do which is programming, latest tech like hadoop big data, machine learning and so on. I'm IT security which is a whole new kettle of fish. Ask away if you need any info. There are gurus around here.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Ilekokonit: 11:39pm On Dec 30, 2017
wonlasewonimi:
They sent me a letter few weeks back saying they are sad to see me leave, I wanted to send them a reply that I'm very happy to go.

Was that the ACCA sending you the letter ?

The last time I paid those criminals annual subscription was in 2006 and they are not getting any penny more from me forever. They can shove their "paper tiger" certificate. They don't even have my current address. That's how much I dislike these time wasters.

1 Like

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by wonlasewonimi: 11:41pm On Dec 30, 2017
Ilekokonit:

Was that the ACCA sending you the letter ?

The last time I paid those criminals annual subscription was in 2006 and they are not getting any penny more from me forever. They can shove their "paper tiger" certificate.

Haaaa me I still paid till 2012 when I passed CISA. I just borrowed myself brain.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Yinkzy03: 11:46pm On Dec 30, 2017
wonlasewonimi:

Haaaa me I still paid till 2012 when I passed CISA. I just borrowed myself brain.
nice and very informative thread. You all active participants should keep it up...
I’m to decide on whether to take up SAP FI OR CISA, anybody wishes to elaborate on the both

1 Like

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by stealthtiger(m): 12:00am On Dec 31, 2017
wonlasewonimi:

Bro. I'm currently learning AWS and one of my target for early next year and knowing python would set you up for life. Everything is about automation these days and python is best in that area especially within devops environment.

The secret to surviving in UK like I mentioned in some thread some weeks back is to do what a lot of oyinbos cannot do which is programming, latest tech like hadoop big data, machine learning and so on. I'm IT security which is a whole new kettle of fish. Ask away if you need any info. There are gurus around here.
I intend on learning penetration testing sometime next year using Arch Linux.

I also didn't have a premonition that Python has a very big demand when I started it out.

How big or small is the demand for web dev.

1 Like

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by wonlasewonimi: 12:07am On Dec 31, 2017
stealthtiger:

I intend on learning penetration testing sometime next year using Arch Linux.

I also didn't have a premonition that Python has a very big demand when I started it out.

How big or small is the demand for web dev.

With almost every application hosted on the Web, its a no brainer that pen testing skills are in high demand.

I thought you use kali Linux for that. Python and Ruby skills are on the rise. I don't know much about Web development skills
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by sharpboyus(m): 12:59am On Dec 31, 2017
wonlasewonimi:

Where are you learning your programming from if you don't mind me asking?
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by wonlasewonimi: 1:30am On Dec 31, 2017
sharpboyus:

Where are you learning your programming from if you don't mind me asking?
YouTube

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 1:32am On Dec 31, 2017
UKmigrant:
On the bathroom wall...

On the toilet in a train......

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Aphrodite007(f): 2:28am On Dec 31, 2017
imconfused:

To be honest,me and maths are like chalk and cheese.
I just can't tolerate extra mathematics outside 1+1 and titration of meds..
I'll just watch and see what happens.
Thanks ...

Hi. Been reading this thread and I really like your input. Concerning your interest in IT, I will advise you to enrol for an ECDL class (European Computer(/ing) Drivers License, or so). It covers the basics of MS Office and would test you on what you’ve learned. This way you have your basics in check. Whether or not you want a career in Computing, this will give you an advantage at work. The Comptia trinity is meant for people that want to go in-depth into IT, it helps to have a passion for IT first.

A+ is for Computing architecture and covers knowledge of how to fix hardware problems (opening of your laptop/desktop and software/hardware diagnostics).

N+ is for basic networking. (It’s not as lucrative as it once was but the knowledge would still be good).

S+ Is for security (which is currently one of the most lucrative parts of Computing).

You must not learn a language, however having basic knowledge of one is good (it’s like a doctor having knowledge of first-aid application/procedure).

I hope this helps. Apologies for derailing the thread.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Aphrodite007(f): 2:38am On Dec 31, 2017
Chevronstaff:

A job in IT that pays higher will solely depend on your desire to constantly develop yourself. It’s IT- it’s everchanging; there’s absolutely no safe net.

I studied MSc IS, and till date, it’s one of the best things that has happened to me. It’s a mixture of business knowledge, HR knowledge and IT knowledge. My job is to make, manage and upgrade systems and processes so as to solve problems in an organisation. My background is in Computing so I wouldn’t have picked finance and IM as that would need an accounting/audit/finance background.

In summary, it’s your choice what you want to study; If finance is your strength, F&IM will be perfect, if Computing and analysis is your strength, IS will be perfect.

3 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Aphrodite007(f): 2:53am On Dec 31, 2017
stealthtiger:

Hello.

Like you said, he is an IT guy in the UK, I’m sure he will answer better, but this is my own answer:

1) python and JavaScript are great languages, I have a personal preference for python (I am allergic to gibberish). But the most jobs I see are more incline to C and java.

2) yeah I have heard of azure and I think cloud computing is quite good. It’s not specially tied to a job title, as this is a skill (probably just a cloud computing expert). Some jobs do request for knowledge of azure.

I’ll advise you like someone did, the best thing to do is to look for IT jobs in the uk that you would love to do and then try to match your skills to their requirements. If you want to become a developer/programmer, search for the job title and look through the requirements of the ones that come up. Jot down the skills you lack and work towards acquiring them.

I hope this helps

P.S: how to go about it is to search for free online IT schools that can teach you the skill you need. I think there are some free ones such as Udemy, even YouTube. You can learn whatever you want online, all you have to do is search for it.

3 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 2:59am On Dec 31, 2017
Lexusgs430:

...who toilet epp
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 3:02am On Dec 31, 2017
Lexusgs430:

meanwhile somewhere in Niger state

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 3:08am On Dec 31, 2017
Geetrix:

meanwhile somewhere in Niger state

LOL...... The landlord got so tired of smelling stale urine, he/she created a urine shaft...... I hope the pissers used the shaft and the lovely painted walls.......

NB: Or then wan take the urine go shrine?

(1) (2) (3) ... (53) (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) ... (72) (Reply)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 9 / Uk Visa - Visa Appeal Process / Bus Fare Within Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.