Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,670 members, 7,827,461 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:24 PM

Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever (33101 Views)

"My Sweet Mother" - Annie Idibia Shows Off Her Mother (photo) / Meaning Of 'Sweet Boys' Association Trend Explained By Twitter Users / Blackface Releases A 2014 Chat Of 2face Admitting To Stealing His Song (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by Codedrock(m): 11:39am On Oct 08, 2017
Meet Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother" Biography; The Man Whose Biggest Hit Sold More Copies Than Any of the Beatles

[img]http://2.bp..com/-DwC7Gb51QD8/WWHj8NVef3I/AAAAAAAAER8/wUpagiwizmMMlO8WWaGqjwnk4_W2TljagCK4BGAYYCw/s640/p056mx3l-e1499427436654.jpg[/img]
Prince Nico Mbarga poured joy into his music, including the most popular song in African history. But his own story has never been told — until now.
Twenty years ago the man who recorded one of the most successful songs of all time was thrown off a motorbike by a car in Calabar, Nigeria. He hit his head on the road and was rushed to the hospital, where he lay for two weeks, in and out of consciousness, but deteriorating all the time. On June 24, 1997, Prince Nico Mbarga was pronounced dead.
“Sweet Mother,” his 1976 one-hit wonder, had sold at least thirteen million copies across the African continent – more than The Beatles’ bestseller “I Want to Hold Your Hand.” But no global media outlet thought to cover the life and death of the artist behind Africa’s most popular song.
Today, the only internet accounts of his life reach around four paragraphs and bookend Mbarga’s career with two big political events of the time: the Biafran War in 1967 that saw him, at 17, flee across the border to Cameroon, where he mastered the guitar; and the expulsion of undocumented migrants from Nigeria in 1983, with his band’s Cameroonian members among the two million West Africans forced to leave the country.
Politics, however, rarely frames lives quite so neatly.
narrative.ly traveled to Mbarga’s hometown to talk to his childhood friend, his wife and his mistress; tracking down his former band members from Cameroon to France to the US; prodding the memory of his octogenarian producer; and reading rare transcripts of his interviews.

Nico Mbarga’s best friend Ojong, left, and Mbarga’s widow, Esame, right.
Twenty years after his death, this is the obituary that never was.
The first place Mbarga knew, the town of Ikom was the last stop on my journey. In a modest bungalow there I met Esame, his widow, and Ojong, his best friend, on a warm evening on the cusp of the wet season. On plastic chairs in the shadow of his mausoleum, they told me about Nico Mbarga and the place he called home.

The son of a Cameroonian father and a Nigerian mother, Nico Mbarga was born in nearby Abakaliki on April 8, 1950, but grew up in Ikom. In the 1950s it was little more than a series of administrative buildings, houses and farms clumped around Cross River, surrounded by tropical rainforest, right on Nigeria’s eastern border with Cameroon.

Today Ikom is still fairly remote – the tarmac roads coming in and out quickly crumble into dirt – but back then it was positively isolated. The only way goods such as bicycles and sewing machines made their way to the village was by lighters on the river from Calabar, more than 100 miles to the south. But even in rural Ikom, all the flux of being in a British colony in Africa in the mid-twentieth century – and the trappings of modernity it entailed – had its effect.

In Ikom, Mbarga is newly remembered by a statue erected early this year. It’s a golden Mbarga in his platform shoes, standing his guitar on a plinth, looking out over the traffic of “Mbarga Junction.” Nearby, shaded by Ikom’s many red-blossomed African tulip trees, is Sweet Mother Road. And if it is sad in a sense – Lucy cried the day the statue was put up, as if it were final confirmation of his death – it does at least constitute a well-earned recognition for Mbarga at last.

Which leaves just one final question: Why have Mbarga and “Sweet Mother” been so ignored elsewhere? While the continent’s cultural contributions are generally marginalized, some African music does make it outside, from Fela Kuti’s afrobeats, to Ali Farka Toure’s Malian blues, to Ethiopia’s otherworldly-sounding jazz. The music that makes it to western ears is usually tough and cool, if not explicitly political, reflective of what many perceive must be a dark political mood.

Yet none of this music, brilliant and rich as it is, has proved as popular with Africans themselves as Prince Nico Mbarga and Rocafil Jazz’s ten-minute ode to mothers. It is played at weddings, as newlywed brides about to leave their homes for the first time dance with their mums to say thank you, at birthday parties celebrating the long lives of family grandmothers, and at Mother’s Day church services, the only secular song amongst the hymns, with worshippers swinging in the aisles adding their own “hallelujah!” to Mbarga’s lyrics. The “Sweet Mother” ideal, the all-consuming mother, not eating until her children are fed, not sleeping until they sleep, crying when they are sick, might be a little conservative, but it has deep cultural roots.

See More Stuffs Like This From Source Below
SOURCE: http://www.takemetonaija.com/2017/07/prince-nico-mbarga-of-sweet-mother.html

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by FreshBoss007: 12:36pm On Oct 08, 2017
I thought sweet mother was sang by a woman
the poster below me...
calm down... don't vent your frustration on my opinion

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by shadrach77: 4:30pm On Oct 08, 2017
FreshBoss007:

You are slightly silly. Did the voice in the song sound like that of a woman ?

171 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by joseo: 6:05pm On Oct 08, 2017
this is one thing about us, we never appreciate ourself, you can imaging 13 million sold and I don't still know his name until this very moment

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by FreshBoss007: 9:59pm On Oct 08, 2017
shadrach77:

bros Na quarrel?
go and eat... it seems you are hungry, for hunger begets such anger

161 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by Codedrock(m): 4:27am On Oct 09, 2017
shadrach77:

You don't have to be rude.. And the voice actually kinda sound like a woman's. Too many women voice in it.

66 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by OKorowanta: 7:43am On Oct 09, 2017
joseo:
this is one thing about us, we never appreciate ourself, you can imaging 13 million sold and I don't still know his name until this very moment

Eyah
You are spot on my brother..we don't appreciate our own.
Dis is One of the most honest post ever on nairaland from a guy from the indomie generation.

37 Likes

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by Codedrock(m): 12:33pm On Oct 09, 2017
OKorowanta:

Eyah
You are spot on my brother..we don't appreciate our own.
Dis is One of the most honest post ever on nairaland from a guy from the indomie generation.
lol.. is this sarcasm or wat smiley

7 Likes

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by OKorowanta: 12:38pm On Oct 09, 2017
Codedrock:

lol.. is this sarcasm or wat smiley

Not at all.

2 Likes

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by Meek3445(f): 12:45pm On Oct 09, 2017
Autopsy And Toxicology Report Revealed, See Reason Behind Tagbo's death
The autopsy and toxicology report of Davido’s late friend, Tagbo Umeike, revealed that Alcohol was a substantial factor in the 35-year-old’s autopsy report. According to CBS Lagos, Tagbo was also found to have alcohol and drugs in his system capable of better easing him into the early stages of hypothermia, later leading to his death.
See the report below;
http://www.bossmeek.com.ng/2017/10/autopsy-and-tagbo-death-report-revealed.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by GudluckIBB(m): 1:20pm On Oct 09, 2017
Meek3445:
The autopsy and toxicology report of Davido’s late friend, Tagbo Umeike, revealed that Alcohol was a substantial factor in the 35-year-old’s autopsy report. According to CBS Lagos, Tagbo was also found to have alcohol and drugs in his system capable of better easing him into the early stages of hypothermia, later leading to his death.
See the report below;
http://www.bossmeek.com.ng/2017/10/autopsy-and-tagbo-death-report-revealed.html?m=1

We are talkiing about Nico Mbarga who sang meaningful song in the 70s and you are here bringing a link about tagbo
Was it prince Nico That set a bet of iphone 8 for Tabgo that made him consume Alcohol?
i tire

93 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by RIPEnglish: 5:57pm On Oct 22, 2017
This song is him best song he has ever singed. .

3 Likes

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by kay29000(m): 5:58pm On Oct 22, 2017
Yea, the guy's song was a hit, but there is no proof that he sold 13 milliom copies.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by asawanathegreat(m): 5:58pm On Oct 22, 2017
Yes I concur
Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by NwaAmaikpe: 5:58pm On Oct 22, 2017
shocked

My all time best
Aki special.

"mama mama mama mama a ye!

Who know tomorrow brother?
Aki...
Nobody know tomorrow."

It breaks my heart that a legend like Nico Mbarga who sang classics died in penury.
While David lives lavishly.

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by Nawteemaxie(m): 5:58pm On Oct 22, 2017
FreshBoss007:

Me too! This is a shocker!
Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by Nobody: 5:59pm On Oct 22, 2017
I use to rock this song back then as a lil girl.
Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by oshe11: 5:59pm On Oct 22, 2017
Wats up with old musicians for NL dese few days huh
Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by oshe11: 6:00pm On Oct 22, 2017
FreshBoss007:
was copied by her....

forgotten her name tho

2 Likes

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by Divay22(f): 6:01pm On Oct 22, 2017
They only remember a song like that was once invoke, when it's mothers day
Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by bukolabeauty09(f): 6:01pm On Oct 22, 2017
grin wink
FreshBoss007:

bros Na quarrel?

2 Likes

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by 2kass(m): 6:01pm On Oct 22, 2017
Meek3445:
See the report below;
You are sick

14 Likes

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by watchwoman(f): 6:01pm On Oct 22, 2017
sweet mother I no go forget you for the suffer wey you suffer for me.

Shout out to all the Mothers striving hard to make ends meet. May God prosper us to reward you and to make sure you reap the fruits of your labour.

May the labor of my/our mother(s) Never be in vain.Amen

I LOVE MY MOM

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by Donjazzy12(m): 6:02pm On Oct 22, 2017
FreshBoss007:

bros Na quarrel?
You should be ashamed of yourself! This is one of the things I have been saying. Most of the male youths we have in Nigeria are completely useless and totally worthless.
They don't read, they don't research all they do is live for pussy. Wasted generation! If na to dance one corner dance, na that one you go sabi.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by datola: 6:02pm On Oct 22, 2017
Tributes to the unsung hero who sang one of the best tunes of our time.
Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by Yehman(m): 6:03pm On Oct 22, 2017
shadrach77:

Hmmmm! My dear he is not silly cos he is not too wrong. A woman also did a copy of the song sweet mother. And i think the video even went viral more than that of Prince Nico Mbarga

20 Likes

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by Monaco2(m): 6:03pm On Oct 22, 2017
shadrach77:

A lady actually did a cover of this song, maybe that's the version he heard

4 Likes

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by bong4(m): 6:04pm On Oct 22, 2017
The song was later remixed by a lady who even added French in it. You should have made your observation in a civil manner though.

shadrach77:

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by Monaco2(m): 6:04pm On Oct 22, 2017
FreshBoss007:

A lady did a cover of the song
Maybe it's her version u heard

2 Likes

Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by kay29000(m): 6:05pm On Oct 22, 2017
Hmm
Re: Prince Nico Mbarga Of "Sweet Mother", His Song Is One The Biggest Ever by Obudupikin: 6:05pm On Oct 22, 2017
Presently listening to ''wayo inlaw''

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Yul Edochie Unveils Emeka Okonkwo As His Running Mate [PICS] / Davido Prays For Wizkid Over The Death Of His Mum / Burna Boy Strips & Performs On Stage In His Underpants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.