Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,709 members, 7,809,693 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:22 PM

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant - Travel (115) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (549006 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) ... (131) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by alao1981: 7:44pm On Jan 01, 2022
DrCollins218:

Thanks for the information. Are you a student or PR? STUDENT

Which airline did you use and how much was it? QATAR. I PAID ABOUT 800,000 FOR EACH ONE-WAY TICKET.

Where was your first stop over and how many hours was it? ONLY ONE STOP OVER IN DOHA FOR 4 HOURS

How many hours was the total journey duration from Nigeria? APPROXIMATELY 24 HOURS. 6 HOURS FROM LAGOS TO DOHA. A LAYOVER OF 4 HOURS AND THEN A 14 HOURS STRAIGHT FLIGHT TO MELBOURNE.

Which province did you land at first? VICTORIA (MELBOURNE).

Congratulations on your new location. THANKS.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by DrCollins218: 8:44pm On Jan 01, 2022
[quote author=alao1981 post=108997831][/quote]

Thanks for your response.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by DrCollins218: 11:12pm On Jan 01, 2022
Please kindly advise me on where I can book an affordable flight to Sydney for March, I have been checking flights and they are all very expensive, please help me out.
Thanks
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by oscarkilo100: 1:09am On Jan 02, 2022
DrCollins218:

Thanks for the information. Are you a student or PR?

Which airline did you use and how much was it?

Where was your first stop over and how many hours was it?

How many hours was the total journey duration from Nigeria?

Which province did you land at first?

Congratulations on your new location.

Hello all,
I'm having issues preparing my Career episodes to get a positive assessment.
Really need some guidance.

I'm 36
Mechanical Engineer
8+ years of experience in aviation (power systems)
have a wife and 3 kids.

Thank you
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by haryourdayG(m): 3:00am On Jan 02, 2022
What issues are you having? I just got my positive assessment as a Professional Civil Engineer some weeks ago with 6+ years experience.

oscarkilo100:

Hello all,
I'm having issues preparing my Career episodes to get a positive assessment.
Really need some guidance.

I'm 36
Mechanical Engineer
8+ years of experience in aviation (power systems)
have a wife and 3 kids.

Thank you

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by oscarkilo100: 1:12pm On Jan 02, 2022
haryourdayG:
What issues are you having? I just got my positive assessment as a Professional Civil Engineer some weeks ago with 6+ years experience.

Could I have the format of your CDR?
It's a bit tricky for me as I work on aviation equipment.
I fear it would be not counted as related to Mechanical....

Thank you for your prompt response.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by oscarkilo100: 1:15pm On Jan 02, 2022
haryourdayG:

Under Mechanical, it's either Ventilation, Air conditioning or Building services.
That puts me in a tricky position....
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by manga5: 1:34am On Jan 03, 2022
oscarkilo100:

Under Mechanical, it's either Ventilation, Air conditioning or Building services.
That puts me in a tricky position....

You can go through Tradesmen or technitian may be check VETASSES to see your options. What ever gives you advantage in the pool is what matters, you must not go through EA
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 2:32am On Jan 03, 2022
DrCollins218:
Please kindly advise me on where I can book an affordable flight to Sydney for March, I have been checking flights and they are all very expensive, please help me out.
Thanks
Tickets are mad expensive now but check skyscanner if you haven't yet.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by swaey(m): 12:01pm On Jan 03, 2022
haryourdayG:

please how long did the whole assessment process take. I've been waiting for a response for almost 3 months now
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by oscarkilo100: 4:50pm On Jan 03, 2022
manga5:

You can go through Tradesmen or technitian may be check VETASSES to see your options. What ever gives you advantage in the pool is what matters, you must not go through EA

Wow.
But I have A Masters in Mechanical Engineering (power plant). Would that be wise going through as a technician? (no disrespect intended)
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by oscarkilo100: 5:00pm On Jan 03, 2022
manga5:

Thanks for the clarification.
Grateful for your response.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by haryourdayG(m): 6:40pm On Jan 03, 2022
Submitted October 17 2021
Positive response December 24 2021

swaey:

please how long did the whole assessment process take. I've been waiting for a response for almost 3 months now
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by haryourdayG(m): 6:42pm On Jan 03, 2022
Hello bosses, which region is best for Civil Engineers in terms of employment and most affordable to settle as a migrant. I intend to submit ROI for NSW and will have to choose a region
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bomsilaga(m): 12:37am On Jan 04, 2022
FBS:

Tickets are mad expensive now but check skyscanner if you haven't yet.

As much as possible, please avoid third party travel agents for now with all the uncertainties.
Booking with the airlines is your safest option now.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 12:52am On Jan 04, 2022
bomsilaga:

As much as possible, please avoid third party travel agents for now with all the uncertainties.
Booking with the airlines is your safest option now.
skyscanner is an online tool for comparing flights, prices etc...
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by stifo2012: 1:31am On Jan 04, 2022
Your Masters degree may not be an advantage as far as Australia immigration system.

Just as Manga5 adviced, what matters is going for a skill which gives you better chances of been nominated.

For me tradies tend to be more advantageous.

oscarkilo100:

Wow.
But I have A Masters in Mechanical Engineering (power plant). Would that be wise going through as a technician? (no disrespect intended)

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ictmikky(m): 2:24pm On Jan 04, 2022
alao1981:

Dear All, I arrived Australia yesterday and wanted to quickly provide an update for people travelling after us. Historically, it is allowed to bring some Nigerian food stuffs (e.g garri, crayfish etc) as long as you declare them on the border form. However, the foodstuff requirement has been changed and resulted in most of our foodstuffs being confiscated. There were two other Nigerians on the same flight and they also had similar experience. Apparently, whilst the food stuffs are still acceptable, it must be those purchased from branded companies with proper branded sealed packs. For example, yam flour will be accepted if you bought "Ola-Ola" from a supermarket. However, if you made it yourself and pour into a sack and label it yam flour, it will be seized. So, all of you bringing food stuffs, it is better you buy branded ones from shop rite or spar...not that you buy grounded crayfish from the market and pour into ziplock (this will be seized). The custom officer confirmed that they used to accept the home packaged items before but the rules were changed during CoVid.

Other than the above, the landing experience was seamless and no question was asked or document checked, except to collect our passport and scan. Upon scanning, we were told to pass through to pick our bags. Make sure you fill the Australia Traveler Declaration Form and submit before you head to the airport in Nigeria as you will not be allowed to board from Nigeria unless you provide automatically generated response from Australia Home Office. Best

Thanks so much for this update. Congratulations on your relocation. All the best
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by oscarkilo100: 4:34pm On Jan 04, 2022
stifo2012:
Your Masters degree may not be an advantage as far as Australia immigration system.

Just as Manga5 adviced, what matters is going for a skill which gives you better chances of been nominated.

For me tradies tend to be more advantageous.

Thank you
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 4:08am On Jan 06, 2022
oscarkilo100:

Wow.
Your Masters may give you more points though so you just need to check which one works better for you.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by stifo2012: 5:52am On Jan 06, 2022
Educational qualifications
Requirement Points
A Doctorate from an Australian educational institution or a Doctorate from another educational institution, that is of a recognised standard. 20
At least a Bachelor degree from an Australian educational institution or at least a Bachelor qualification, from another educational institution, that is of a recognised standard. 15
A diploma or trade qualification from an Australian educational institution. 10
Attained a qualification or award recognised by the relevant assessing authority for your nominated skilled occupation as being suitable for that occupation 10
For points based migration you will receive points for your highest qualification only.

Source: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/skilled-independent-189/points-table
FBS:

Your Masters may give you more points though so you just need to check which one works better for you.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Mike365: 5:03am On Jan 25, 2022
Hello.
Can anyone who has travelled in January confirm if this valuable info still holds true with respect to items put in ziplock? Also, will a certificate from Nigerian Agricultural Quarantine Services at the airport help if one has to bring in stuff with ziplock?
Thank you

alao1981:

Dear All, I arrived Australia yesterday and wanted to quickly provide an update for people travelling after us. Historically, it is allowed to bring some Nigerian food stuffs (e.g garri, crayfish etc) as long as you declare them on the border form. However, the foodstuff requirement has been changed and resulted in most of our foodstuffs being confiscated. There were two other Nigerians on the same flight and they also had similar experience. Apparently, whilst the food stuffs are still acceptable, it must be those purchased from branded companies with proper branded sealed packs. For example, yam flour will be accepted if you bought "Ola-Ola" from a supermarket. However, if you made it yourself and pour into a sack and label it yam flour, it will be seized. So, all of you bringing food stuffs, it is better you buy branded ones from shop rite or spar...not that you buy grounded crayfish from the market and pour into ziplock (this will be seized). The custom officer confirmed that they used to accept the home packaged items before but the rules were changed during CoVid.

Other than the above, the landing experience was seamless and no question was asked or document checked, except to collect our passport and scan. Upon scanning, we were told to pass through to pick our bags. Make sure you fill the Australia Traveler Declaration Form and submit before you head to the airport in Nigeria as you will not be allowed to board from Nigeria unless you provide automatically generated response from Australia Home Office. Best

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by tunlex01(m): 3:30am On Jan 30, 2022
Mike365:
Hello.
Can anyone who has travelled in January confirm if this valuable info still holds true with respect to items put in ziplock? Also, will a certificate from Nigerian Agricultural Quarantine Services at the airport help if one has to bring in stuff with ziplock?
Thank you

It's still the same process for a few i know that have landed. Buy branded stuff and not in large quantity. Some had their items seized if it was more than 1kg. For example, buy 1kg x 2 Ola ola instead of one 2kg of Ola ola. That certificate is to Nigeria only, it won't do you anything in Australia as countries have different border requirement when it comes to food
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by uchman(m): 7:41am On Jan 30, 2022
Who is ready to go into australian used auto parts business with me this year?
The profit will be Worthing it and you will be satisfied with it.

The business has built many people in Australia, it is one of the businesses that will pay you whatsoever you are earning in Australia and also give you rest of mind.

My WhatsApp is on my sig.
You can check it out and we roll from there.

Note: This business will need your time but at the end, it will worth it.
cool
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Mike365: 9:54am On Jan 31, 2022
Alright. I came in today with home packaged egusi and crayfish. I got the certificate at the quarantine unit at the Ikeja airport. The guys at Sydney airport didn't seize it.
I think it's down to what you stated about quantity cos they kept saying it's small and there are no issues.

tunlex01:

It's still the same process for a few i know that have landed. Buy branded stuff and not in large quantity. Some had their items seized if it was more than 1kg. For example, buy 1kg x 2 Ola ola instead of one 2kg of Ola ola. That certificate is to Nigeria only, it won't do you anything in Australia as countries have different border requirement when it comes to food
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Froshloaded: 11:06am On Jan 31, 2022
Mike365:
Alright. I came in today with home packaged egusi and crayfish. I got the certificate at the quarantine unit at the Ikeja airport. The guys at Sydney airport didn't seize it.
I think it's down to what you stated about quantity cos they kept saying it's small and there are no issues.

Congratulations.. may the land favour you .
Drop landing gist when you are free
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by doctorgold(m): 3:15am On Feb 02, 2022
Are you in Nigeria?
You realise australian cars are right hand drives?
uchman:
Who is ready to go into australian used auto parts business with me this year?
The profit will be Worthing it and you will be satisfied with it.

The business has built many people in Australia, it is one of the businesses that will pay you whatsoever you are earning in Australia and also give you rest of mind.

My WhatsApp is on my sig.
You can check it out and we roll from there.

Note: This business will need your time but at the end, it will worth it.
cool
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by uchman(m): 5:49am On Feb 02, 2022
doctorgold:
Are you in Nigeria?
You realise australian cars are right hand drives?

The different between right hand drive and left hand drive is the steering and dashboard, it's shaft can be interchanged, everyother things remain same.
That is the reason why dismantling Australian cars gives more profit than Americans and Australian salvage cars that is ready to be dismantled sells cheaper in Australia there, less than Americans.

YES, AM IN NIGERIA...

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Touchman003: 1:15pm On Feb 02, 2022
Good day to everyone in the house...

I appreciate your good work in helping us know how beautiful a country like Australia is; the good life, culture, cost of living, employment, etc.

Please i am a Geologist by profession. But I have a hand work as an electrician with certificate for about 7 years now.

I am processing a skilled work visa to Australia through an agent since 1st of December, 2021. This agent is one I have been using for my previous visas to China since 2018 before Covid 19 . From what we agreed on, the agent said he is going to help me get a 1 year direct work visa to a company in Australia. A week today, the agent called and told me that my invitation letter is out, and that the visa he is applying for me is a PR 189 visa. He said that when I get to Australia, that my first one year will look like a test from the company, and if they find competence in me, I will be retained with a PR 189 visa that will enable me work anywhere in Australia. He also said that from the look of things, that the visa should be ready before the end of March, 2022.

Please house, I want to know how "true" this information can be? I already paid him 400k for processing fee. The actual money charged is 2.7M..... Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by tunlex01(m): 2:50pm On Feb 02, 2022
Mike365:

Glad you did not have your items seized. Did you think the quarantine certificate had anything to do with it?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by tunlex01(m): 2:51pm On Feb 02, 2022
Touchman003:
Good day to everyone in the house...

I appreciate your good work in helping us know how beautiful a country like Australia is; the good life, culture, cost of living, employment, etc.

Please i am a Geologist by profession. But I have a hand work as an electrician with certificate for about 7 years now.

I am processing a skilled work visa to Australia through an agent since 1st of December, 2021. This agent is one I have been using for my previous visas to China since 2018 before Covid 19 . From what we agreed on, the agent said he is going to help me get a 1 year direct work visa to a company in Australia. A week today, the agent called and told me that my invitation letter is out, and that the visa he is applying for me is a PR 189 visa. He said that when I get to Australia, that my first one year will look like a test from the company, and if they find competence in me, I will be retained with a PR 189 visa that will enable me work anywhere in Australia. He also said that from the look of things, that the visa should be ready before the end of March, 2022.

Please house, I want to know how "true" this information can be? I already paid him 400k for processing fee. The actual money charged is 2.7M..... Thanks

I have responded to you on the other thread.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Mike365: 2:18am On Feb 03, 2022
The certificate did a little but I don't think it can do much if the items are plenty. This is because they didn't really understand what the certificate is.
They took out the items and compared it to the image of some items they had on a screen and they also noted the weighs less than 5kg altogether (both home prepared and commercially packaged items)
tunlex01:

Glad you did not have your items seized. Did you think the quarantine certificate had anything to do with it?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) ... (131) (Reply)

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 4

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.