Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,171 members, 7,811,401 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:01 AM

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant - Travel (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (549307 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (131) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by DaddyTheFather: 8:34am On Mar 18, 2018
just another option...you can land and use your 476 visa for the period you have...and also pursue the Canadian PR in that time. key difference between Canadian and Aussie PR is that Canada requires you to show proof of funds in your account, while Australia does not...not sure if you're aware of this option, but I thought I'd raise it just in case...in the end, its a risk that you have to think long and hard about... I actually came to this country on a 476 as well, but I ended up switching careers (which I am loving, but that may not be an option for you)... I can say it's been worth it so far, but be prepared for the possibility of some lean periods and maybe having to get lower skilled jobs. this is largely because the $&^visa is really not that popular with employers. Goodluck with everything sha...hope whatever you choose favours you.

gcey2k:
Greetings to everyone here.

I will now post my testimony/query here.

I applied for the temporary skilled visa 476 back in December. This is after several months of job search in Naija after my MSc in the UK. This visa as many may know is an 18 month Work Visa.

On the 1st of February, I got a junior lecturing job in a newly opened federal institution. As expected, I have accepted this offer.

On the last day of February, I got the VISA grant, bringing so much joy, and again reasons to think on what path one would thread.

@ catchdwind4rmkd, I am particularly interested in you as it appears you have traveled with same Visa.

The major dilemma is if it will be sensible to leave a certain job here in Nigeria for this wonderful adventure. And considering that I have a limited grant period for the now.

What are the odds of getting PR if I choose to travel, given I don't have the required 3 years international experience and will require an exceptional English language test results? Are there easier ways one can go about this when one is on ground?

I am not so bothered about landing my first job in Aussie for the now, my major interest is in the future.

I understand life is a risk and I believe the benefits of moving to Australia are enormous. I am an adventurer and also a realist looking to make the best analysis before I decide on what to do.

Oga bellong and other bosses, please chip in some words to help a brother. Sorry for the long post.

I have other questions but will wait to get your views on this.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by majiouk2002: 10:22am On Mar 18, 2018
Hi peeps,

Please how can I go about renting an apartment in Melbourne before landing?

I have actually noted about two apartments advertised on realestate.com.au that I'm interested in but the fact that I have to do inspection makes it difficult to even tie any down.

Please who can offer his/her advise on this?

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Marinologistics: 2:25pm On Mar 18, 2018
gcey2k:

Interesting Bro...
I will send you a PM

Seen and replied
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:21pm On Mar 18, 2018
Hi all.
I want to apply for Australia student visa .
I don't have the intention of continuing my education when I get there due to the cost.

--Do I need to pay the complete fees before departure?

--If I get there without reporting to school, will I run out of status(will I be declared an illegal immigrant?)

Lastly, how can I get PR when I get there without reporting to school?

Please pals, I need your opinions and advice.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by uckennety(m): 11:18pm On Mar 18, 2018
Tadell:
Hi all.
I don't have the intention of continuing my education when I get there due to the cost.

--If I get there without reporting to school, will I run out of status(will I be declared an illegal immigrant?)

OYO ooooooo

5 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by gcey2k(m): 11:29pm On Mar 18, 2018
DaddyTheFather:
just another option...you can land and use your 476 visa for the period you have...and also pursue the Canadian PR in that time. key difference between Canadian and Aussie PR is that Canada requires you to show proof of funds in your account, while Australia does not...not sure if you're aware of this option, but I thought I'd raise it just in case...in the end, its a risk that you have to think long and hard about... I actually came to this country on a 476 as well, but I ended up switching careers (which I am loving, but that may not be an option for you)... I can say it's been worth it so far, but be prepared for the possibility of some lean periods and maybe having to get lower skilled jobs. this is largely because the $&^visa is really not that popular with employers. Goodluck with everything sha...hope whatever you choose favours you.

Thanks a lot for this Sir...
Yet another reasonable perspective... I have the CA PR plan as a backup to Aussie although I don't know if it's as stringent.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by gcey2k(m): 11:29pm On Mar 18, 2018
Marinologistics:

Seen and replied

Ok boss... Have been offline all day
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 1:16am On Mar 19, 2018
Tadell:
Hi all.

If you get a student visa, by all means go to school. The consequence of not going is that you will end up at MMIA on a free flight.

With what will you get the PR?

Lastly, don't act smart as you will eventually be outsmarted.

15 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Teejah80: 3:52am On Mar 19, 2018
Hi,Daddy the Father, I sent you a pm,can you reply.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by FBS: 9:31am On Mar 19, 2018
majiouk2002:
Hi peeps,

Please how can I go about renting an apartment in Melbourne before landing?

I have actually noted about two apartments advertised on realestate.com.au that I'm interested in but the fact that I have to do inspection makes it difficult to even tie any down.

Please who can offer his/her advise on this?

Thanks in advance.
I'd say it is imperative that you inspect the house before renting especially if it's on a long term. Don't believe all those pictures and agent/house descriptions on realestate.com.au. Most are misleading. Only for here person go dey advertise house on a creek as a waterfront home.
Get airbnb for a short period and inspect the houses of your choice.

My 2 shilling coins.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by majiouk2002: 11:46am On Mar 19, 2018
FBS:

I'd say it is imperative that you inspect the house before renting especially if it's on a long term. Don't believe all those pictures and agent/house descriptions on realestate.com.au. Most are misleading. Only for here person go dey advertise house on a creek as a waterfront home.
Get airbnb for a short period and inspect the houses of your choice.

My 2 shilling coins.

Thanks
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Omooloriredade: 1:00pm On Mar 19, 2018
catchdwind4rmkd:

And for what it's worth, I took the English test 5 times .

shocked May God forgive them o. With this your Queen's English?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by mamajaz(f): 1:16pm On Mar 19, 2018
Hello house, catchwind4rmkd and all, how can one pay for change of circumstances on visa application?
Please, it's urgent.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by uckennety(m): 1:44pm On Mar 19, 2018
mamajaz:
Hello house, catchwind4rmkd and all, how can one pay for change of circumstances on visa application?
Please, it's urgent.

Why do you need it
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by caseynewnn: 10:17pm On Mar 19, 2018
pls all, I am new here.I have a question to ask.is one expected to attach his visa n bio data page b4 IOM will give out quotation for flight? also is d baggage allowance d same as when one books directly from an airline company or agents.bellong n other seniors too your idea is need ( in Jennifer's voice). cheers

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 9:44am On Mar 20, 2018
caseynewnn:
pls all, I am new here.I have a question to ask.is one expected to attach his visa n bio data page b4 IOM will give out quotation for flight? also is d baggage allowance d same as when one books directly from an airline company or agents.bellong n other seniors too your idea is need ( in Jennifer's voice). cheers

When you send email enquiry to IOM, you will be told what to do.

They have better baggage allowance.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by manga5: 11:15am On Mar 20, 2018
caseynewnn:

yes, you will be asked to attach visa and passport data page. As for baggage allowance, it is 23Kg for Bag1 and Bag2 and a hand luggage of 7kg per passenger(Emirate).

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by caseynewnn: 12:00pm On Mar 20, 2018
manga5:

yes, you will be asked to attach visa and passport data page. As for baggage allowance, it is 23Kg for Bag1 and Bag2 and a hand luggage of 7kg per passenger(Emirate).
thank u.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by caseynewnn: 12:00pm On Mar 20, 2018
bellong:

When you send email enquiry to IOM, you will be told what to do.
They have better baggage allowance.
thank u
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by olumuyiwaoke(f): 12:23pm On Mar 20, 2018
hello everyone, any pharmacist or dentist on this trend ?... if you know anyone in this field presently in Aussie can you please link me up.. thank you
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by MizMyColi(f): 1:00pm On Mar 20, 2018
Hello,

For old and new migrants,

I discovered this cool online service that allows you transfer foreign funds to your local Naija account.

It is way cheaper than cashremit, worldremit, transfast, cashfast, and co.

I am sharing the link because I am excited at the service and speed of delivery, and more so because I get some reward for those I refer....you also gain by transferring your first 500 dollars for free.

This people exchange 1 pound to naira @498 so imagine what others currencies rate will be like. Is there any other online service that beats that?! They have all the major currencies worldwide too!

https://transferwise.com/a/ijeomai3

3 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by catchdwind4rmkd(m): 2:36am On Mar 21, 2018
First, you need to notify DIBP of your change of circumstances by updating them using Form *** (can't recall the exact form number).

They'll then respond with what you need to do; including how to make payment if any.

You should contact @iceberg for more info coz he updated his circumstances as well.

Cheers.

mamajaz:
Hello house, how can one pay for change of circumstances on visa application?
Please, it's urgent.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by mamajaz(f): 4:32pm On Mar 21, 2018
catchdwind4rmkd:
First, you need to notify DIBP of your change of circumstances by updating them using Form *** (can't recall the exact form number).

They'll then respond with what you need to do; including how to make payment if any.

You should contact @iceberg for more info coz he updated his circumstances as well.

Cheers.

Thanks to you and all.
emmaobogs congrats ooo. Speedy success all the way.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by tonyik: 5:21pm On Mar 21, 2018
Hi Bellong,

Which option will be suitable for a 41 yrs with 10yrs working experience in (ICT) Application development? NSW is giving 60 pts. is there a category of 476 for me?

bellong:

Eng : 20 points

Qualification: 15 points

This is your potential points... 65. But as a mechanical engineer, you need at least 70 or more.

If you come on 476 and you are able to get a job as a mechanical engineer, after one year you can get 5 points for professional year in Australia and if it is a regional area, additional 5 points making 75 points.

It is doable. And if you don't get something in mechanical, you can join the queue and hope mechanical will drop to 65points.

Whichever way, I believe you should take the 476 and start the PR process immediately you land.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by gcey2k(m): 8:44am On Mar 22, 2018
tonyik:
Hi Bellong,

Which option will be suitable for a 41 yrs with 10yrs working experience in (ICT) Application development? NSW is giving 60 pts. is there a category of 476 for me?

Sir, it will be better to direct your question here.

https://www.nairaland.com/3053069/general-guide-australian-permanent-resident

And as regards the 476, Sorry to say you are not eligible.

And for others who might want to ask, the 476 Visa is an 18 months temporary work visa in all of Australia. To be eligible you MUST:

1. Be an ENGINEERING graduate NOT MORE than 2 years ago from a reputable FOREIGN university. No Nigerian University is eligible. In fact only one Tanzanian University is eligible in all of Africa.

2. Be under 31 years of age.

Other requirements are English Language proficiency tests, character (police) and medical certifications.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Michaelamo: 9:00am On Mar 22, 2018
uckennety:

Why do you need it

Na wa for you o, is this supposed to be an answer or help to the question? sad

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by skibby(m): 9:06pm On Mar 22, 2018
I think the information that only one Tanzanian university is eligible in Africa is wrong. South African universities are eligible for 476 visa because they belong to Washington, Dublin and Sydney accord. I know this because I have friends who have gone to Australia based on 476 visa and are graduates of South African universities.
gcey2k:

Sir, it will be better to direct your question here.

https://www.nairaland.com/3053069/general-guide-australian-permanent-resident

And as regards the 476, Sorry to say you are not eligible.

And for others who might want to ask, the 476 Visa is an 18 months temporary work visa in all of Australia. To be eligible you MUST:

1. Be an ENGINEERING graduate NOT MORE than 2 years ago from a reputable FOREIGN university. No Nigerian University is eligible. In fact only one Tanzanian University is eligible in all of Africa.

2. Be under 31 years of age.

Other requirements are English Language proficiency tests, character (police) and medical certifications.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by gcey2k(m): 7:19am On Mar 23, 2018
skibby:
I think the information that only one Tanzanian university is eligible in Africa is wrong. South African universities are eligible for 476 visa because they belong to Washington, Dublin and Sydney accord. I know this because I have friends who have gone to Australia based on 476 visa and are graduates of South African universities.

Ok. Thanks a lot for the correction Bro.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by DoDirtsLikeWorm(m): 9:52am On Mar 24, 2018
Omooloriredade:

shocked May God forgive them o. With this your Queen's English?

I think first thing is 1st, one have to de-activate the spell check on his/her phones.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Inkredible(m): 12:13pm On Mar 24, 2018
MizMyColi:
Hello,

For old and new migrants,

I discovered this cool online service that allows you transfer foreign funds to your local Naija account.

It is way cheaper than cashremit, worldremit, transfast, cashfast, and co.

I am sharing the link because I am excited at the service and speed of delivery, and more so because I get some reward for those I refer....you also gain by transferring your first 500 dollars for free.

This people exchange 1 pound to naira @498 so imagine what others currencies rate will be like. Is there any other online service that beats that?! They have all the major currencies worldwide too!

Not to rain on your parade but Azimo is bad@ss.
Better rate, less fee.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by nuelnuel: 2:25pm On Mar 24, 2018
Azimo never offer a better rate than Transferwise.
Inkredible:

Better rate, less fee.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by junebaby: 3:56pm On Mar 24, 2018
[qquote author=Inkredible post=66115233]

Better rate, less fee.[/quote]

@Inkredible are u resident in Aussie?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (131) (Reply)

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.