Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,027 members, 7,810,832 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:32 PM

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant - Travel (41) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (549188 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (131) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 11:15pm On Apr 07, 2018
fruitful2015:
@ bellong. Please I need to chat with you. Please I urgently need to have a chat with you.

Could you please ask the question here?

Thanks
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by fruitful2015: 6:55am On Apr 08, 2018
@bellong
Let me introduce myself.
Am 30 years old, studied social work but not practicing I head my department basically trading and production in my unit with 5 years experience, though I raised to the top early in my career.

My husband is an I. T manager with 10 years experience he is 35years old.

Am so confused on where and how to start.
I need a proper guide so that I don't mess it all up, because I don't want to take chances it's quite expensive to be refused at the end of the day.
From changing my passport to my husband's name, account name to husband's name, writing English exam, sending transcript, skill assessment and all, employment reference letter.

With your experience is it also worth the whole stress, getting a skilled job in Australia and then getting a citizenship.

Am so sorry for the long post.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Adunnee: 6:59am On Apr 08, 2018
fruitful2015:
@bellong
Let me introduce myself.
Am 30 years old, studied social work but not practicing I head my department basically trading and production in my unit with 5 years experience, though I raised to the top early in my career.

I need a proper guide so that I don't mess it all up, because I don't want to take chances it's quite expensive to be refused at the end of the day.
From changing my passport to my husband's name, account name to husband's name, writing English exam, sending transcript, skill assessment and all, employment reference letter.

With your experience is it also worth the whole stress, getting a skilled job in Australia and then getting a citizenship.

Join this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/3053069/general-guide-australian-permanent-resident
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by fruitful2015: 7:08am On Apr 08, 2018
I have it has 500+pages feeling dizzy already, I was on it all through yesterday, I didn't even get to page 70
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Adunnee: 7:12am On Apr 08, 2018
fruitful2015:
I have it has 500+pages feeling dizzy already, I was on it all through yesterday, I didn't even get to page 70

The thread is a better positioned platform to ask your questions.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by edwonderz(m): 7:38am On Apr 08, 2018
Greetings my people, is there any nairalander or student in New Castle? Please holla if you would like to meet (coffee/drinks is on me). I will be here till the 12th of April.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by fruitful2015: 10:35am On Apr 08, 2018
@adun 99
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Michaelamo: 1:09pm On Apr 08, 2018
fruitful2015:
@bellong
Let me introduce myself.

That link somebody dropped now for you is where you would be addressed properly on PR.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Adunnee: 2:29pm On Apr 08, 2018
[quote author=Michaelamo post=66532203]

That link somebody dropped now for you is where you would be addressed properly on PR.

Hi. I tried sending you a PM but it wasn't going through. Kindly send me a PM if you can.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by fruitful2015: 3:09pm On Apr 08, 2018
K
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by TookieJ: 9:15am On Apr 11, 2018
Hi, Everyone.

I've been following in silence for a while. At this point, I'd just like to appreciate the heroes and heroines of this amazing thread: @bellong, @zanyzara, @tyosho, @vinsmuft, @nosula (amongst many others).

Clearly, you guys are heavily invested in the Aus system, with your own daily challenges. Yet, you still make out time to share knowledge and guidance. You have no idea how far those 'little' efforts go. Some of you have even opened your doors to absolute strangers. God bless you beyond measure.

@DaddyTheFather, thank you for your obvious maturity - and for putting yourself and experience out there. Hopefully, your PR issues get resolved soon - and your family can come over. wink

5 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by TookieJ: 9:26am On Apr 11, 2018
Omooloriredade:

Recruitment manager: Congratulations 'my name'. Blah blah blah.

Before I got home, all documents and link to start induction was already in my box. I was asked to resume on Thursday while they get my system and access ready. On Wednesday I just started feeling sick. Anyway, I banished the feeling in the name of Jesus. Luckily, my laptop wasn't ready so I was asked to resume on Monday. I have since started work sha. Is God not a good God?

I got a professional job in 12 days after I entered this country with almost nothing. God just keeps blowing my mind sha .

I entered this country with USD850 on my card and AUD70 cash in hand. I made up my mind Naija money was to remain in Naija. I was not willing to bring more than that. I have assets/investment that could be easily liquidated back home though if yawa wan gas

Thank you for this inspiring post. There's no better way to encourage one another than sharing such experiences. Big congratulations too.

It's still a distant dream for a number of us - but your post makes it clear that miracles still happen - and everyone doesn't have to follow the same route. Guess the whole idea of emigrating is to take one's destiny in their hands.

If you don't mind, can you share your nominated occupation and city of residence?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Michaelamo: 1:27pm On Apr 11, 2018
Omooloriredade:
Long post alert!!! cheesy grin cheesy

Congrats Omo, where do you reside in Australia?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Omooloriredade: 12:30pm On Apr 12, 2018
TookieJ:

Thank you for this inspiring post. There's no better way to encourage one another than sharing such experiences. Big congratulations too .

It's still a distant dream for a number of us - but your post makes it clear that miracles still happen - and everyone doesn't have to follow the same route. Guess the whole idea of emigrating is to take one's destiny in their hands.

If you don't mind, can you share your nominated occupation and city of residence?

Thanks. Telecommunications Network Engineer and Sydney

4 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Omooloriredade: 12:36pm On Apr 12, 2018
Michaelamo:

Congrats Omo, where do you reside in Australia?

Thanks . Sydney
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Jbelieve: 2:21pm On Apr 12, 2018
DaddyTheFather:

I came over with a 476 visa, and I am in a professional role. However, my job is in finance, not engineering. Which has worked out fine cos I find now that I enjoy working with money more than I enjoy working with process plants. I did have some difficulties with getting interviews for roles with my 476 visa though, I won't lie about that. As I said earlier, I actually believe that my company was not entirely clear on what sort of visa it was.

One thing I did do was make it clear on my CV that I had unlimited right to work, without mentioning what sort of visa I had. If I was asked, I told the truth, but I did not offer it up.

I would also recommend trying to get call centre roles. They never seem to run out of vacancies, and they are pretty loose in hiring. Once you're feeding yourself and money is coming in, start aggressively pursuing your PR. Once you have that PR, sky is the limit.

Hi please I have a few questions to ask about 476 visa.

Part of the requirements is that the institution the engineer graduated from must be under Washington accords institution. I want to ask if Nigerian universities fall within this category?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Yeeshas: 11:21am On Apr 16, 2018
Hello All,

Hope everyone is doing great? So I have been meaning to come here to share my story after I landed in Sydney, Australia, but life has been from one event to the other but tonight, I had to stop myself to do this.

Before I start, I wanna give a shout out to Bellong and say a big thank you for starting this Australian thread because I cannot emphasize the tremendous help we got from the nairaland thread during our application process from start to finish. So let me cut straight to it.

We landed in Sydney Australia by midnight sometime in January and because it was that time of the night, our luggage was only scanned but not thoroughly checked so I guess we got away with all our food items. We were accommodated by a family whom we connected with through a dear friend of ours. We stayed with this family for two weeks after which we then moved to our own apartment.

Getting our apartment was not a walk in the park, we were simply favored. One agent wanted to swindle us of an additional $350 because he perceived we were newbies and desperate to move to our own place, we didn't fall for it because he was asking us to make the payment for the 'paper works'he was going to prepare for us because we didn't meet the 100 points criteria in order to secure an accommodation. Anyway, to cut the long story short, we threatened to report him but eventually moved on to search for other properties, he later called us back and gave us the property without the 'paperwork' fee.

We currently live in Liverpool, a 2 bedroom apartment for $350 per week and I must say it isn't bad at all. The apartment comes with a communal pool and a basketball court. We have never used it though. It is also close to everything, train station, the mall, medical centre and all.

Our first two weeks after arriving here was very rough, one because of the jetlag and then the paperwork, job-hunt, house-hunt, add to the fact that we were putting up with a family we were meeting for the first time. It wasn't exactly the best of experience but we are grateful. Things began to ease out after we moved to our own apartment.

Regarding job search, the truth is that my husband and I were open-minded and were not very selective at first because we had gathered info here on nairaland about starting off and all. My husband got a Warehouse job a day after we moved to our apartment and he was asked to start immediately, four days later, he got another job offer at Fujitsu as a Stock Plan Administrator which is basically data entry and administering the company's stock plans, although this job is better for him, however, it is not in line with his career. He has a background in Network Security and so has currently enrolled in a scholarship program in Cyber Security. The Australian govt. is currently investing in the Cyber Security industry because of shortage in the skill availability.

We immediately enrolled our Son in daycare so I could attend interviews. We were paying $465 per week until his immunization was updated and we now pay $143 per week for 5 days because of childcare rebate. We also got the outstanding back after his childcare rebate was activated. We attend Hillsong church and I must say it's a beautiful place to worship. We didn't get a car yet because we are very close to the train station and our son's daycare is only a street away plus we are saving up to buy a very good car too.

I left my job story for the last because I am extremely grateful to God for this and I also wanted to use it to encourage folks coming down here. After about 2 weeks of job search, I got a Customer Service job at a Telecoms company called BSA where I was a Remediation officer. I earned $26 per hour and it was a contract job. After 3 weeks or so of working there, my shift got changed to 11 am - 7 pm shift and so I had to stop work because my Son's daycare closes by 6 pm and you pay $1 per minute for every minute after 6 pm.

I applied for more jobs and granted a couple of interviews and as God would have it, on one of those days, I made an application for a job with 'Private Advertiser" written on it. (I am normally reluctant to apply for such vacancies) but I went ahead anyway and then I was asked to answer a couple of questions and write a cover letter. (these were things I didn't like doing but I did it anyway). A day later, I got a call from a guy saying he was from Samsung Australia and if I could come in for an interview and I'm like "Absolutely"! To cut the story short, after 2 stages of the interview (one individual and another group interview) with very intimidating guys especially because I don't have the Australian 'phoneee'accent, I was a bit intimidated by these other candidates. Anyway, I got the job and it is a permanent job with amazing pay and benefits including a 4-week annual paid leave, 10 days paid carer's leave, 50 percent staff discount off Samsung products and several other benefits. Why did I take the pain to spell out some of the benefits? Because when we came into Australia, some people told us it was hard to get a permanent job as a newbie and even a professional job for that matter and bla bla but this is really not the case. If you believe it, then you can have it.

I currently work as a VOC Case Manager at the Samsung head office in Australia. The role simply means dispute management, processing of refunds, repairs, exchange and what not, pretty much making a disgruntled customer happy again.

Its been a little over three months since we came here and we can't be more grateful to God for how He has settled us quickly and in ways we didn't even imagine. Generally its easy to save here as long as you don't live above your means.

I'll stop here and I wish you all the very best.

PS: I also resumed Uni for my Master's degree at the University of Sydney but I have now put that on hold for some time because I work full time and it was too much for me so I suspended it for now.

69 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 3:31pm On Apr 16, 2018
Yeeshas:
Hello All,

Its been a little over three months since we came here and we can't be more grateful to God for how He has settled us quickly and in ways we didn't even imagine. Generally its easy to save here as long as you don't live above your means.

PS: I also resumed Uni for my Master's degree at the University of Sydney but I have now put that on hold for some time because I work full time and it was too much for me so I suspended it for now.

Congrats!! Wishing you many more favour in the land.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Lhimeet(m): 6:33pm On Apr 16, 2018
Yeeshas:
Hello All,

Hope everyone is doing great? So I have been meaning to come here to share my story after I landed in Sydney, Australia, but life has been from one event to the other but tonight, I had to stop myself to do this.

Before I start, I wanna give a shout out to Bellong and say a big thank you for starting this Australian thread because I cannot emphasize the tremendous help we got from the nairaland thread during our application process from start to finish. So let me cut straight to it.

We landed in Sydney Australia by midnight sometime in January and because it was that time of the night, our luggage was only scanned but not thoroughly checked so I guess we got away with all our food items. We were accommodated by a family whom we connected with through a dear friend of ours. We stayed with this family for two weeks after which we then moved to our own apartment.

Getting our apartment was not a walk in the park, we were simply favored. One agent wanted to swindle us of an additional $350 because he perceived we were newbies and desperate to move to our own place, we didn't fall for it because he was asking us to make the payment for the 'paper works'he was going to prepare for us because we didn't meet the 100 points criteria in order to secure an accommodation. Anyway, to cut the long story short, we threatened to report him but eventually moved on to search for other properties, he later called us back and gave us the property without the 'paperwork' fee.

We currently live in Liverpool, a 2 bedroom apartment for $350 per week and I must say it isn't bad at all. The apartment comes with a communal pool and a basketball court. We have never used it though. It is also close to everything, train station, the mall, medical centre and all.

Our first two weeks after arriving here was very rough, one because of the jetlag and then the paperwork, job-hunt, house-hunt, add to the fact that we were putting up with a family we were meeting for the first time. It wasn't exactly the best of experience but we are grateful that they even gave us accommodation in the first place. Things began to ease out after we moved to our own apartment.

Regarding job search, the truth is that my husband and I were open-minded and were not very selective at first because we had gathered info here on nairaland about starting off and all. My husband got a Warehouse job a day after we moved to our apartment and he was asked to start immediately, four days later, he got another job offer at Fujitsu as a Stock Plan Administrator which is basically data entry and administering the company's stock plans, although this job is better for him, however, it is not in line with his career. He has a background in Network Security and so has currently enrolled in a scholarship program in Cyber Security. The Australian govt. is currently investing in the Cyber Security industry because of shortage in the skill availability.

We immediately enrolled our Son in daycare so I could attend interviews. We were paying $465 per week until his immunization was updated and we now pay $143 per week for 5 days because of childcare rebate. We also got the outstanding back after his childcare rebate was activated. We attend Hillsong church and I must say it's a beautiful place to worship. We didn't get a car yet because we are very close to the train station and our son's daycare is only a street away plus we are saving up to buy a very good car too.

I left my job story for the last because I am extremely grateful to God for this and I also wanted to use it to encourage folks coming down here. After about 2 weeks of job search, I got a Customer Service job at a Telecoms company called BSA where I was a Remediation officer. I earned $26 per hour and it was a contract job. After 3 weeks or so of working there, my shift got changed to 11 am - 7 pm shift and so I had to stop work because my Son's daycare closes by 6 pm and you pay $1 per minute for every minute after 6 pm.

I applied for more jobs and granted a couple of interviews and as God would have it, on one of those days, I made an application for a job with 'Private Advertiser" written on it. (I am normally reluctant to apply for such vacancies) but I went ahead anyway and then I was asked to answer a couple of questions and write a cover letter. (these were things I didn't like doing but I did it anyway). A day later, I got a call from a guy saying he was from Samsung Australia and if I could come in for an interview and I'm like "Absolutely"! To cut the story short, after 2 stages of the interview (one individual and another group interview) with very intimidating guys especially because I don't have the Australian 'phoneee'accent, I was a bit intimidated by these other candidates. Anyway, I got the job and it is a permanent job with amazing pay and benefits including a 4-week annual paid leave, 10 days paid carer's leave, 50 percent staff discount off Samsung products and several other benefits. Why did I take the pain to spell out some of the benefits? Because when we came into Australia, some people told us it was hard to get a permanent job as a newbie and even a professional job for that matter and bla bla but this is really not the case. If you believe it, then you can have it.

I currently work as a VOC Case Manager at the Samsung head office in Australia. The role simply means dispute management, processing of refunds, repairs, exchange and what not, pretty much making a disgruntled customer happy again.

This is WONDERFUL.. You're favoured! cool

3 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bligs: 2:34am On Apr 17, 2018
Jbelieve:

Hi please I have a few questions to ask about 476 visa.

Part of the requirements is that the institution the engineer graduated from must be under Washington accords institution. I want to ask if Nigerian universities fall within this category?
No any Nigerian uni under the Washington accord and just about 2 or 3 unis in the whole of Africa are under the Washington accord, one in south Africa and can't recall the country of others.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by TookieJ: 11:06am On Apr 17, 2018
Omooloriredade:

Thanks. Telecommunications Network Engineer and Sydney

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by TookieJ: 11:08am On Apr 17, 2018
Yeeshas:
Hello All,

Amazing news! Big congratulations to you and the family.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by manga5: 2:47pm On Apr 17, 2018
Yeeshas:
Hello All,

Our first two weeks after arriving here was very rough, one because of the jetlag and then the paperwork, job-hunt, house-hunt, add to the fact that we were putting up with a family we were meeting for the first time. It wasn't exactly the best of experience but we are grateful that they even gave us accommodation in the first place. Things began to ease out after we moved to our own apartment.

Great story, very inspiring. Me and my family are in Warwick Farm we just got to Australia about 2 weeks ago. I guess one of this day, we will hook up to do some Nigerian get together.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:49pm On Apr 17, 2018
Yeeshas:
Hello All,

congrats my dear..so happy for you.tapping into the grace and may you find more favour

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by TookieJ: 11:49am On Apr 19, 2018
Dearest Seniors in the Aussie run,

Please keep sharing those pictures and experiences. They're all that keep some of motivated. wink

How's the Autumn/Fall season?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Omooloriredade: 12:04pm On Apr 19, 2018
Yeeshas:
Hello All,

Congratulations Yeeshas. I like these kind of stories that remind one that challenges or obstacles are temporary. The assessment, english test and DIBP stories are all history now. It will only get better.

Biko, come first....... How can you make me a happy Samsung customer? The only way is if I can get the 50% discount o, else no smile on my face till I leave. grin cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by piusford: 5:27pm On Apr 19, 2018
Congratulations again, Yeeshas.

Thanks for making out time to share this. May your dreams all come true.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Yeeshas: 8:17pm On Apr 19, 2018
Omooloriredade:

Congratulations Yeeshas. I like these kind of stories that remind one that challenges or obstacles are temporary. The assessment, english test and DIBP stories are all history now. It will only get better.

Biko, come first....... How can you make me a happy Samsung customer? The only way is if I can get the 50% discount o, else no smile on my face till I leave. grin cheesy

Hahahaa, thanks a lot! Are you unhappy with us ni? oya send me a dm so we can chat.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Yeeshas: 8:17pm On Apr 19, 2018
piusford:
Congratulations again, Yeeshas.

Thanks for making out time to share this. May your dreams all come true.

Amen. Thank you so much.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by mamajaz(f): 5:43pm On Apr 20, 2018
Yeeshas:

Amen. Thank you so much.
Congrats again sister. Long, long time no see.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by manga5: 3:39am On Apr 21, 2018
Good day Aussie fellow, are there Civil Engineers in the house who are currently practising in Aussie? I just landed in Sydney about 3 weeks ago and I having been job hunting. Please, i am looking for any contact to help me secure my first job. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by foreverkind1(m): 7:43am On Apr 21, 2018
Yeeshas:

Hahahaa, thanks a lot! Are you unhappy with us ni? oya send me a dm so we can chat.
Sis, even tho am still in nigeria ,cant i get the pretty 50% discount wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (131) (Reply)

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.